You will reach the highest possible point in your business or profession.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Re: 123-reg heads up

SubjectAuthor
* 123-reg heads upAndy Burns
+* Re: 123-reg heads upJeff Gaines
|`* Re: 123-reg heads upInvalid
| `- Re: 123-reg heads upAndy Burns
+- Re: 123-reg heads upChris Green
`* Re: 123-reg heads upJohn Rumm
 `* Re: 123-reg heads upAndy Burns
  `- Re: 123-reg heads upPhilip Hole

1
123-reg heads up

<kegc8iFa9flU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5252&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5252

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: 123-reg heads up
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:12:34 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 10:12 UTC

I was aware that 123-reg were ditching various services they offer, but
didn't think it was going to affect me, I just use them as a domain
registrar and email forwarder, don't have their DNS, don't use their web
hosting, don't have any mailbox with them.

I'd had a nagging feeling that incoming email volume was down this week,
but not got round to checking, and was still getting some come through
for other domains.

Turns out they no longer allow "catchall forwarding", so they'd deleted
my forward *@andyburns.uk rule

That's a pain, as I freely give out e.g. companyname.co.uk@andyburns.uk
when dealing with companies, so I've just had to go through and create
individual forwarders for "important" addresses, and they limit it to 50
addresses.

So I'm going to have to move all my domains away from 123 to someone who
still offers wildcard forwarding, thinking of mythic beasts?

Re: 123-reg heads up

<xn0o2vwso1jjsh6005@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5253&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5253

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: 123-reg heads up
Date: 9 Jun 2023 10:14:17 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 10:14 UTC

On 09/06/2023 in message <kegc8iFa9flU1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
wrote:

>I was aware that 123-reg were ditching various services they offer, but
>didn't think it was going to affect me, I just use them as a domain
>registrar and email forwarder, don't have their DNS, don't use their web
>hosting, don't have any mailbox with them.
>
>I'd had a nagging feeling that incoming email volume was down this week,
>but not got round to checking, and was still getting some come through for
>other domains.
>
>Turns out they no longer allow "catchall forwarding", so they'd deleted my
>forward *@andyburns.uk rule
>
>That's a pain, as I freely give out e.g. companyname.co.uk@andyburns.uk
>when dealing with companies, so I've just had to go through and create
>individual forwarders for "important" addresses, and they limit it to 50
>addresses.
>
>So I'm going to have to move all my domains away from 123 to someone who
>still offers wildcard forwarding, thinking of mythic beasts?

I have a domain with Mythic Beasts which forwards *.domain.co.uk, no
problems with them and reasonable price.

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it

Re: 123-reg heads up

<02N5cieJywgkFwv+@wisty.plus.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5254&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5254

From: news@wisty.plus.com.invalid (Invalid)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 12:27:05 +0100
 by: Invalid - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:27 UTC

In message <xn0o2vwso1jjsh6005@news.individual.net>, Jeff Gaines
<jgnewsid@outlook.com> writes
>On 09/06/2023 in message <kegc8iFa9flU1@mid.individual.net> Andy Burns
>wrote:
>
>>I was aware that 123-reg were ditching various services they offer,
>>but didn't think it was going to affect me, I just use them as a
>>domain registrar and email forwarder, don't have their DNS, don't use
>>their web hosting, don't have any mailbox with them.
>>
>>I'd had a nagging feeling that incoming email volume was down this
>>week, but not got round to checking, and was still getting some come
>>through for other domains.
>>
>>Turns out they no longer allow "catchall forwarding", so they'd
>>deleted my forward *@andyburns.uk rule
>>
>>That's a pain, as I freely give out e.g.
>>companyname.co.uk@andyburns.uk when dealing with companies, so I've
>>just had to go through and create individual forwarders for
>>"important" addresses, and they limit it to 50 addresses.
>>
>>So I'm going to have to move all my domains away from 123 to someone
>>who still offers wildcard forwarding, thinking of mythic beasts?
>
>I have a domain with Mythic Beasts which forwards *.domain.co.uk, no
>problems with them and reasonable price.

+1 for Mythic Beasts.

I had several domains with 123-Reg which used domain forwarding for the
same reason you do. When they announced the change, I asked how to
proceed and was told I needed a separate E-mail account for each domain.
I.e. £30/yr per domain extra.

Moved all the domains to Mythic with one mail account. Easy process -
all online and domain forwarding works like a charm.
--
Invalid

Re: 123-reg heads up

<keghdhFb17iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5255&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5255

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 12:40:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 11:40 UTC

Invalid wrote:

> Moved all the domains to Mythic with one mail account. Easy process -
> all online and domain forwarding works like a charm.

thanks Jeff and Invalid, all now transferred.

Presumably with *just* a mythic forwarding account, that doesn't allow
sending via their smtp server?

Re: 123-reg heads up

<ouoblj-fldu.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5256&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5256

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 15:18:32 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 9 Jun 2023 14:18 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> So I'm going to have to move all my domains away from 123 to someone who
> still offers wildcard forwarding, thinking of mythic beasts?

I have to say that I have been very happy with Mythic Beasts since I
moved to them six months or so ago.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: 123-reg heads up

<ublt1h$3sun3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5600&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5600

From: see.my.signature@nowhere.null (John Rumm)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:39:29 +0100
 by: John Rumm - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 19:39 UTC

On 09/06/2023 11:12, Andy Burns wrote:
> I was aware that 123-reg were ditching various services they offer, but
> didn't think it was going to affect me, I just use them as a domain
> registrar and email forwarder, don't have their DNS, don't use their web
> hosting, don't have any mailbox with them.
>
> I'd had a nagging feeling that incoming email volume was down this week,
> but not got round to checking, and was still getting some come through
> for other domains.
>
> Turns out they no longer allow "catchall forwarding", so they'd deleted
> my forward *@andyburns.uk rule
>
> That's a pain, as I freely give out e.g. companyname.co.uk@andyburns.uk
> when dealing with companies, so I've just had to go through and create
> individual forwarders for "important" addresses, and they limit it to 50
> addresses.

Sorry way late to this party - I don't often read this group...

But yup 123-reg seem to be on a crusade to completely cripple their
email service, reduce its functionality into the "toy" level of
usefulness, and charge way more for it.

Not only have they killed catch all, they have imposed a limit of 50
forwarding rules maximum. That is not 50 rules per domain, but 50 rules
per ACCOUNT!

So if you use their services to support your own customers, and had say
70 domains hosted with them, with customer's email on some of them, you
are already over the limit and you can't create any forwarders at all.

So ok, you think, I can migrate them to a new email host, so long as
they existing ones keep working even if you can't add more. After all
they have promised (in their email migration FAQ) that they won't delete
existing forwarding rules - just stop you creating more.

The problem with that is that they are lying f'wits, and they then
start randomly deleting forwarding rules with no warning, notification,
or even admitting they are doing it. First you hear about it is when a
client phones and say "I have not received any messages to my sales@
address for the last few days", or you notice one of your own addresses
as just evaporated. Grrrr.

--
Cheers,

John.

Re: 123-reg heads up

<kk7bqfFaskvU8@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5601&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5601

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 20:47:27 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 17 Aug 2023 19:47 UTC

John Rumm wrote:

> yup 123-reg seem to be on a crusade to completely cripple their email
> service

All moved to mythic beasts now, might claw some other services back from
AWS now I have the mythic beasts account ...

Re: 123-reg heads up

<ubncnr$6rmo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5603&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5603

From: news@theholefamily.org (Philip Hole)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2023 10:13:31 +0100
 by: Philip Hole - Fri, 18 Aug 2023 09:13 UTC

On 17/08/2023 20:47, Andy Burns wrote:
> John Rumm wrote:
>
>> yup 123-reg seem to be on a crusade to completely cripple their email
>> service
>
> All moved to mythic beasts now, might claw some other services back from
> AWS now I have the mythic beasts account ...

Have also moved to mythic.

They did the removals for me (a small fee).

Everything went well.

They do email CS rather than phone.

As a tech newbie this is easier and they respond very quickly.

Their website with all the 'help' pages, are a bit scattered.

However, I would unreserved recommend them.
But perhaps it is just the change from 123 :-)

--
Flop