If Machiavelli were a hacker, he'd have worked for the CSSG. -- Phil Lapsley

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

SubjectAuthor
* Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?SH
+- Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?Andy Burns
+* Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?Chris Green
|+- Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?SH
|`* Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?Andy Burns
| `* Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?notya...@gmail.com
|  +* Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?Tweed
|  |`- Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?notya...@gmail.com
|  `- Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?SH
`- Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?Theo

1
Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

<ubq30f$ohvf$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5608&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5608

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:45:52 +0100
 by: SH - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:45 UTC

On 18/09/2019 22:59, Graham J wrote:
> I see numerous occasions in rural areas where a good mobile signal is
> only obtainable outside a building, and sometimes even then only high up
> for example at roof level.
>
> In these same locations FTTC is never available, and ADSL is treacly slow.
>
> There are routers which implement a WAN connection using a plug-in
> 3G/4G/5G modem - but the only models I've seen use USB.  This limits the
> cable length between the router and the modem to 3 metres.  So the only
> practical solution is to site the router in a waterproof box outside the
> building - not very convenient.
>
> There are routers which implement a WAN connection using Ethernet.  So
> what I would like is a 3G/4G/5G modem with an Ethernet connection.  Even
> better if it used PoE - then the modem could be sited on top of a pole
> and connected with a single Ethernet cable, up to 100 metres in length.
>
> So does anybody here know of such a product?

Main issue will that the SIM is inserted in teh Router.

If you have the router in a waterproof box on the top of a roof mounted
pole, if you wish to change/replace teh router, it will be a faff
involving ladders and/or roofing ladders

Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

<kkbi0nF5d3vU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5609&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5609

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:57:44 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:57 UTC

SH wrote:

> Main issue will that the SIM is inserted in teh Router.

Having problems with your calendar today? :-P

Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

<acg6rj-a1ge2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5610&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5610

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:59:06 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 09:59 UTC

SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
> On 18/09/2019 22:59, Graham J wrote:
> > I see numerous occasions in rural areas where a good mobile signal is
> > only obtainable outside a building, and sometimes even then only high up
> > for example at roof level.
> >
> > In these same locations FTTC is never available, and ADSL is treacly slow.
> >
> > There are routers which implement a WAN connection using a plug-in
> > 3G/4G/5G modem - but the only models I've seen use USB.  This limits the
> > cable length between the router and the modem to 3 metres.  So the only
> > practical solution is to site the router in a waterproof box outside the
> > building - not very convenient.
> >
> > There are routers which implement a WAN connection using Ethernet.  So
> > what I would like is a 3G/4G/5G modem with an Ethernet connection.  Even
> > better if it used PoE - then the modem could be sited on top of a pole
> > and connected with a single Ethernet cable, up to 100 metres in length.
> >
> > So does anybody here know of such a product?
> >

> Main issue will that the SIM is inserted in teh Router.
>
> If you have the router in a waterproof box on the top of a roof mounted
> pole, if you wish to change/replace teh router, it will be a faff
> involving ladders and/or roofing ladders

You've just replied to a message from 2019, I doubt if Graham J is
still working on the problem! :-)

However, what I have is a TP-Link TL-WR843ND router which takes a SIM
directly and I use an external aerial with it so the router itself can
stay indoors. It works very well (on a boat, in France).

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

<6vf*Ktcoz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5611&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5611

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 19 Aug 2023 11:04:02 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:04 UTC

SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
> On 18/09/2019 22:59, Graham J wrote:
> > I see numerous occasions in rural areas where a good mobile signal is
> > only obtainable outside a building, and sometimes even then only high up
> > for example at roof level.
> >
> > In these same locations FTTC is never available, and ADSL is treacly slow.
> >
> > There are routers which implement a WAN connection using a plug-in
> > 3G/4G/5G modem - but the only models I've seen use USB.  This limits the
> > cable length between the router and the modem to 3 metres.  So the only
> > practical solution is to site the router in a waterproof box outside the
> > building - not very convenient.
> >
> > There are routers which implement a WAN connection using Ethernet.  So
> > what I would like is a 3G/4G/5G modem with an Ethernet connection.  Even
> > better if it used PoE - then the modem could be sited on top of a pole
> > and connected with a single Ethernet cable, up to 100 metres in length.
> >
> > So does anybody here know of such a product?
>
> Main issue will that the SIM is inserted in teh Router.
>
> If you have the router in a waterproof box on the top of a roof mounted
> pole, if you wish to change/replace teh router, it will be a faff
> involving ladders and/or roofing ladders

Absent the SIM card issue, there are things like:
https://www.outdoorrouter.com/product-category/outdoor-4g-lte-router/uk-4g-outdoor-router/

There are also solutions where you mount an antenna on the top of the pole
and a ruggedised router at the bottom of the pole (in an enclosure), which
allows easier access to the SIM card:
https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store/wifi-routers/?t=6562&sort=1

If they supported eSIM that would avoid physically changing the SIM,
although network support for it is variable.

Theo

Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

<ubq4na$ohvf$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5612&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5612

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 11:15:07 +0100
 by: SH - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:15 UTC

On 19/08/2023 10:59, Chris Green wrote:
> SH <i.love@spam.com> wrote:
>> On 18/09/2019 22:59, Graham J wrote:
>>> I see numerous occasions in rural areas where a good mobile signal is
>>> only obtainable outside a building, and sometimes even then only high up
>>> for example at roof level.
>>>
>>> In these same locations FTTC is never available, and ADSL is treacly slow.
>>>
>>> There are routers which implement a WAN connection using a plug-in
>>> 3G/4G/5G modem - but the only models I've seen use USB.  This limits the
>>> cable length between the router and the modem to 3 metres.  So the only
>>> practical solution is to site the router in a waterproof box outside the
>>> building - not very convenient.
>>>
>>> There are routers which implement a WAN connection using Ethernet.  So
>>> what I would like is a 3G/4G/5G modem with an Ethernet connection.  Even
>>> better if it used PoE - then the modem could be sited on top of a pole
>>> and connected with a single Ethernet cable, up to 100 metres in length.
>>>
>>> So does anybody here know of such a product?
>>>

>> Main issue will that the SIM is inserted in teh Router.
>>
>> If you have the router in a waterproof box on the top of a roof mounted
>> pole, if you wish to change/replace teh router, it will be a faff
>> involving ladders and/or roofing ladders
>
> You've just replied to a message from 2019, I doubt if Graham J is
> still working on the problem! :-)
>
> However, what I have is a TP-Link TL-WR843ND router which takes a SIM
> directly and I use an external aerial with it so the router itself can
> stay indoors. It works very well (on a boat, in France).

yes thats what I would do, mount 4g/5g aerial on a roof pole, put teh
router on a shelf in the loft as close as poss to where the aerial is so
to keep the aerial cable short as poss.

You may well need to run power and ethernet to the router's location.

Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

<kkbk5nF5d3vU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5613&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5613

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 11:34:31 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 10:34 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> You've just replied to a message from 2019, I doubt if Graham J is still
> working on the problem!

I have a suspicion he may be, fast connections aren't easy in remote
rural locations.

Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

<4cd97420-19e2-4bc4-9673-6d5d9b6b3245n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5615&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5615

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 05:06:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 12:06 UTC

On Saturday, 19 August 2023 at 11:34:35 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
> > You've just replied to a message from 2019, I doubt if Graham J is still
> > working on the problem!
> I have a suspicion he may be, fast connections aren't easy in remote
> rural locations.

Possible solutions have changed since my 2019 reply.

1. Lots of mobile routers and modems now available, some for under £30.. Google up.
2. Better choice of SIM's with large or unlimited data bundles. Uswitch.com
3. 5G now established.
4. 4G bands now spread across most spectrum.

so the options are: -

2G - longest range and best building penetration (O2 & Voda), but data rate even on the best modulation limited to ~50kbps. OK for keeping up with email, very light browsing.

3G theoretical limit 14M4bps (seen), but switching off fairly soon. Good for most things, but not 4K video.

4G theoretical limit 100Mbps (76Mbps seen), some MNO's have bandwidth at 7-800MHz. Some contention in busy places and times, but good for most things..

5G theoretical limit 1,000Mbps (230Mbps seen) - fastest, but sometimes short range. The main reason for it is more connections, not lightning speed that you will probably never need nor use. Many phones now have it, but not many modems / routers.

Most mobile connections have a slower uplink than downlink.

Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

<ubqevk$r4pi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5616&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5616

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2023 13:10:12 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zq+13nSfh6vpiB2vdwnnUS1qqWw=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 19 Aug 2023 13:10 UTC

notya...@gmail.com <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 August 2023 at 11:34:35 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Chris Green wrote:
>>
>>> You've just replied to a message from 2019, I doubt if Graham J is still
>>> working on the problem!
>> I have a suspicion he may be, fast connections aren't easy in remote
>> rural locations.
>
> Possible solutions have changed since my 2019 reply.
>
> 1. Lots of mobile routers and modems now available, some for under £30. Google up.
> 2. Better choice of SIM's with large or unlimited data bundles. Uswitch.com
> 3. 5G now established.
> 4. 4G bands now spread across most spectrum.
>
> so the options are: -
>
> 2G - longest range and best building penetration (O2 & Voda), but data
> rate even on the best modulation limited to ~50kbps. OK for keeping up
> with email, very light browsing.
>
> 3G theoretical limit 14M4bps (seen), but switching off fairly soon. Good
> for most things, but not 4K video.
>
> 4G theoretical limit 100Mbps (76Mbps seen), some MNO's have bandwidth at
> 7-800MHz. Some contention in busy places and times, but good for most things.
>
> 5G theoretical limit 1,000Mbps (230Mbps seen) - fastest, but sometimes
> short range. The main reason for it is more connections, not lightning
> speed that you will probably never need nor use. Many phones now have
> it, but not many modems / routers.
>
> Most mobile connections have a slower uplink than downlink.

I’d dispute your 4G theoretical limit. I have a recorded speed test of
222Mbps down. This was in Oslo this year. My phone doesn’t support 5G. I’ve
also had over 110Mbs once in the UK.

Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

<ubsnsd$1ag30$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5621&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5621

From: i.love@spam.com (SH)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 10:54:22 +0100
 by: SH - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 09:54 UTC

On 19/08/2023 13:06, notya...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Saturday, 19 August 2023 at 11:34:35 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Chris Green wrote:
>>
>>> You've just replied to a message from 2019, I doubt if Graham J is still
>>> working on the problem!
>> I have a suspicion he may be, fast connections aren't easy in remote
>> rural locations.
>
> Possible solutions have changed since my 2019 reply.
>
> 1. Lots of mobile routers and modems now available, some for under £30. Google up.
> 2. Better choice of SIM's with large or unlimited data bundles. Uswitch.com
> 3. 5G now established.
> 4. 4G bands now spread across most spectrum.
>
> so the options are: -
>
> 2G - longest range and best building penetration (O2 & Voda), but data rate even on the best modulation limited to ~50kbps. OK for keeping up with email, very light browsing.
>
> 3G theoretical limit 14M4bps (seen), but switching off fairly soon. Good for most things, but not 4K video.
>
> 4G theoretical limit 100Mbps (76Mbps seen), some MNO's have bandwidth at 7-800MHz. Some contention in busy places and times, but good for most things.
>
> 5G theoretical limit 1,000Mbps (230Mbps seen) - fastest, but sometimes short range. The main reason for it is more connections, not lightning speed that you will probably never need nor use. Many phones now have it, but not many modems / routers.

A new Three 5G mast appeared in my local library's car park.

I happen to have a 5G phone with a SMarty SIM (piggybacks onto 3)

I drove into the car park and did a speedtest on my phone....

I got 760 Mbps which is faster than my own home fibre broadband!

S.

> Most mobile connections have a slower uplink than downlink.

Re: Ethernet 3G or 4G or 5G modem ?

<c90708e7-b472-4457-9312-62470ef29d7fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5624&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5624

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 08:42:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sun, 20 Aug 2023 15:42 UTC

On Saturday, 19 August 2023 at 14:10:16 UTC+1, Tweed wrote:
> notya...@gmail.com <notya...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I have a suspicion he may be, fast connections aren't easy in remote
> >> rural locations.
> >
> > Possible solutions have changed since my 2019 reply.
> >
> > 1. Lots of mobile routers and modems now available, some for under £30. Google up.
> > 2. Better choice of SIM's with large or unlimited data bundles. Uswitch..com
> > 3. 5G now established.
> > 4. 4G bands now spread across most spectrum.
> >
> > so the options are: -
> >
> > 2G - longest range and best building penetration (O2 & Voda), but data
> > rate even on the best modulation limited to ~50kbps. OK for keeping up
> > with email, very light browsing.
> >
> > 3G theoretical limit 14M4bps (seen), but switching off fairly soon. Good
> > for most things, but not 4K video.
> >
> > 4G theoretical limit 100Mbps (76Mbps seen), some MNO's have bandwidth at
> > 7-800MHz. Some contention in busy places and times, but good for most things.
> >
> > 5G theoretical limit 1,000Mbps (230Mbps seen) - fastest, but sometimes
> > short range. The main reason for it is more connections, not lightning
> > speed that you will probably never need nor use. Many phones now have
> > it, but not many modems / routers.
> >
> > Most mobile connections have a slower uplink than downlink.
> >
> I’d dispute your 4G theoretical limit. I have a recorded speed test of
> 222Mbps down. This was in Oslo this year. My phone doesn’t support 5G. I’ve
> also had over 110Mbs once in the UK.

Actually 150Mbps [and 50Mbps up], however 4g+ / LTE evolution is up to three times faster. 76Mbps was measured in 2018.