I wonder if I ought to tell them about my PREVIOUS LIFE as a COMPLETE STRANGER?

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Cheapest eSIM for visitor

SubjectAuthor
* Cheapest eSIM for visitorChris
+* Cheapest eSIM for visitorTweed
|`* Cheapest eSIM for visitorChris
| `* Cheapest eSIM for visitorTheo
|  `- Cheapest eSIM for visitorChris
+* Cheapest eSIM for visitorWoody
|+- Cheapest eSIM for visitorTweed
|+- Cheapest eSIM for visitorWilf
|`- Cheapest eSIM for visitorChris
+* Cheapest eSIM for visitorAndy Burns
|`- Cheapest eSIM for visitorChris
+* Cheapest eSIM for visitorClive Page
|`- Cheapest eSIM for visitorTheo
`- Cheapest eSIM for visitorChris

1
Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ukqeke$sdft$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5651&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5651

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Cheapest eSIM for visitor
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:30:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:porpjXrp/8nfnxz/MqMZ/L+uGrE=
 by: Chris - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:30 UTC

I have a family member over from the EU for a couple of months and they
would like a UK phone number so others can contact them while here.

They are rather technophobe so to keep things simple an thinking of an eSIM
to go as a secondary number on their existing phone.

What are the cheapest eSIM options for primarily/exclusively phone and
text? They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ukqev0$sf41$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5652&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5652

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:36:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hWdZ3GU4BEElbNb4wiWU63PdHtQ=
 by: Tweed - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:36 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a family member over from the EU for a couple of months and they
> would like a UK phone number so others can contact them while here.
>
> They are rather technophobe so to keep things simple an thinking of an eSIM
> to go as a secondary number on their existing phone.
>
> What are the cheapest eSIM options for primarily/exclusively phone and
> text? They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.

There’s a useful summary here

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/esim-on-uk-networks

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ukqfa9$segb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5653&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5653

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:42:15 +0000
 by: Woody - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:42 UTC

On Wed 06/12/2023 18:30, Chris wrote:

> I have a family member over from the EU for a couple of months and they
> would like a UK phone number so others can contact them while here.
>
> They are rather technophobe so to keep things simple an thinking of an eSIM
> to go as a secondary number on their existing phone.
>
> What are the cheapest eSIM options for primarily/exclusively phone and
> text? They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.

There's so much free wi-fi around why not just use Whatsapp for phone
calls - and its FREE! They just need to put a message on their voicemail
to contact them by WA.

Surely if they are from the EU they still get free roaming, and anyone
calling them should only pay the call rate in their home country?

If you must have a UK number then I would suggest GiffGaff. Runs on O2,
minimum monthly rate £6 with unlimited calls and texts, and 2GB data if
needed.

This is where VoIP is a very good option!

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ukqfor$sj8u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5654&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5654

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:50:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lGWbrfacMs46K1K3sooWHDFnZDw=
 by: Tweed - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 18:50 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed 06/12/2023 18:30, Chris wrote:
>>

>> I have a family member over from the EU for a couple of months and they
>> would like a UK phone number so others can contact them while here.
>>
>> They are rather technophobe so to keep things simple an thinking of an eSIM
>> to go as a secondary number on their existing phone.
>>
>> What are the cheapest eSIM options for primarily/exclusively phone and
>> text? They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.
>

> There's so much free wi-fi around why not just use Whatsapp for phone
> calls - and its FREE! They just need to put a message on their voicemail
> to contact them by WA.
>
> Surely if they are from the EU they still get free roaming, and anyone
> calling them should only pay the call rate in their home country?
>
> If you must have a UK number then I would suggest GiffGaff. Runs on O2,
> minimum monthly rate £6 with unlimited calls and texts, and 2GB data if
> needed.
>
> This is where VoIP is a very good option!

Have you tried using free WiFi regularly? My experience is you spend ages
faffing around with credential portals, many of which don’t work properly.
Then you find many are restricted to web browsing only. A common issue with
WA is a call will ring but won’t connect when the user tries to answer.

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ukqlj4$tes9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5655&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5655

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:29:25 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:6AgbsvJz+GHwDPrLtvSFZBitjsw=
 by: Chris - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 20:29 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I have a family member over from the EU for a couple of months and they
>> would like a UK phone number so others can contact them while here.
>>
>> They are rather technophobe so to keep things simple an thinking of an eSIM
>> to go as a secondary number on their existing phone.
>>
>> What are the cheapest eSIM options for primarily/exclusively phone and
>> text? They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.
>>

> There’s a useful summary here
>
> https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/esim-on-uk-networks

That's perfect! Thanks!

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ukqrqk$2e6r0$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5656&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5656

From: wilf21@is.invalid (Wilf)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:15:50 +0000
 by: Wilf - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:15 UTC

On 06/12/2023 at 18:42, Woody wrote:
> On Wed 06/12/2023 18:30, Chris wrote:
>>

>> I have a family member over from the EU for a couple of months and they
>> would like a UK phone number so others can contact them while here.
>>
>> They are rather technophobe so to keep things simple an thinking of an eSIM
>> to go as a secondary number on their existing phone.
>>
>> What are the cheapest eSIM options for primarily/exclusively phone and
>> text? They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.
>

> There's so much free wi-fi around why not just use Whatsapp for phone
> calls - and its FREE! They just need to put a message on their voicemail
> to contact them by WA.
>
> Surely if they are from the EU they still get free roaming, and anyone
> calling them should only pay the call rate in their home country?
>
> If you must have a UK number then I would suggest GiffGaff. Runs on O2,
> minimum monthly rate £6 with unlimited calls and texts, and 2GB data if
> needed.
>
> This is where VoIP is a very good option!

Free wifi doesn't help if you're out an about using, say, Google Maps or
Waze to find your way around.

--
Wilf

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<W+b*ZZdxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5657&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5657

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 06 Dec 2023 22:21:00 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 22:21 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> I have a family member over from the EU for a couple of months and they
> >> would like a UK phone number so others can contact them while here.
> >>
> >> They are rather technophobe so to keep things simple an thinking of an eSIM
> >> to go as a secondary number on their existing phone.
> >>
> >> What are the cheapest eSIM options for primarily/exclusively phone and
> >> text? They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.
> >>

> > There’s a useful summary here
> >
> > https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/esim-on-uk-networks
>
> That's perfect! Thanks!

I think Lycamobile and Giffgaff are the only networks to offer eSIM on PAYG.
There are other data eSIMs available, but no good for having a phone number
(unless you do VOIP stuff). The contract deals (even the 30 day ones) may
not be available to someone with no UK credit history.

Theo

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ukr01o$v35v$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5658&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5658

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2023 23:27:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:a36bJFvDAAKpg0nTzMR1Jy/LI4k=
 by: Chris - Wed, 6 Dec 2023 23:27 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Wed 06/12/2023 18:30, Chris wrote:
>>

>> I have a family member over from the EU for a couple of months and they
>> would like a UK phone number so others can contact them while here.
>>
>> They are rather technophobe so to keep things simple an thinking of an eSIM
>> to go as a secondary number on their existing phone.
>>
>> What are the cheapest eSIM options for primarily/exclusively phone and
>> text? They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.
>

> There's so much free wi-fi around why not just use Whatsapp for phone
> calls - and its FREE! They just need to put a message on their voicemail
> to contact them by WA.

See where I said they're a technophobe? That's why.

Wifi may be free in many places but it often requires a login. A real faff.
I have enough data on my mobile contract now that I don't use free wifi
anymore.

> Surely if they are from the EU they still get free roaming, and anyone
> calling them should only pay the call rate in their home country?

A UK person or business isn't going to call a foreign mobile number.
Including me.

> If you must have a UK number then I would suggest GiffGaff. Runs on O2,
> minimum monthly rate £6 with unlimited calls and texts, and 2GB data if
> needed.
>
> This is where VoIP is a very good option!

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ktdaskFfnonU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5659&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5659

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 07:34:45 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 07:34 UTC

Chris wrote:

> They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.

Will they be willing to pay to keep the number alive during the time
they're away?

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ukrsn5$169kd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5660&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5660

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 07:37:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:05eO5DEEJJZfikVLhaa5ywUEAR0=
 by: Chris - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 07:37 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There’s a useful summary here
>>>
>>> https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/esim-on-uk-networks
>>
>> That's perfect! Thanks!
>
> I think Lycamobile and Giffgaff are the only networks to offer eSIM on PAYG.
> There are other data eSIMs available, but no good for having a phone number
> (unless you do VOIP stuff). The contract deals (even the 30 day ones) may
> not be available to someone with no UK credit history.

Ah yes. Good point.

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<uksu5o$1bbvd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5662&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5662

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2023 17:08:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KfehTK4ym9/u76OnINU7NwVOlwQ=
 by: Chris - Thu, 7 Dec 2023 17:08 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Chris wrote:
>
>> They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.
>
> Will they be willing to pay to keep the number alive during the time
> they're away?

If you mean make a chargeable call or text every few months, yes.

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ktj2mdF1u80U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5667&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5667

From: usenet@page2.eu (Clive Page)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 11:51:40 +0000
 by: Clive Page - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 11:51 UTC

On 06/12/2023 18:30, Chris wrote:

> I have a family member over from the EU for a couple of months and they
> would like a UK phone number so others can contact them while here.
>
> They are rather technophobe so to keep things simple an thinking of an eSIM
> to go as a secondary number on their existing phone.
>
> What are the cheapest eSIM options for primarily/exclusively phone and
> text? They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.

I don't know if this will help, but for a recent visit the US I used a Nomad esim, which was £9 for a month and I think 5GB. I was surprisingly easy to install and use. I've no idea if they do an esim for the UK, but might be worth checking. getnomad.app seems to be their website.

--
Clive Page

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<p7o*Gvrxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5668&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5668

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: 09 Dec 2023 11:54:43 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 11:54 UTC

Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> wrote:
> I don't know if this will help, but for a recent visit the US I used a
> Nomad esim, which was £9 for a month and I think 5GB. I was surprisingly
> easy to install and use. I've no idea if they do an esim for the UK, but
> might be worth checking. getnomad.app seems to be their website.

Most 'travel' eSIMs are data only, no calls or texts. So the opposite of
what the OP wants, unless they have a call/SMS VOIP service to run over the
top.

Theo

Re: Cheapest eSIM for visitor

<ul4jtv$2nc0k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5669&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5669

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 15:02:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:dAZ6onGcUljCQRRsjGmY3MZhlEg=
 by: Chris - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 15:02 UTC

Chris <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a family member over from the EU for a couple of months and they
> would like a UK phone number so others can contact them while here.
>
> They are rather technophobe so to keep things simple an thinking of an eSIM
> to go as a secondary number on their existing phone.
>
> What are the cheapest eSIM options for primarily/exclusively phone and
> text? They will be in the UK again so would be handy to keep the number.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Ended up getting a Lycamobile eSIM at £5pm. Signed up and activated in
under 10 min. Worked a treat!