I love you, not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you. -- Roy Croft

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

SubjectAuthor
* TrueSpeed Own Router (update)www.GymRatZ.co.uk
+* Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)Mark Undrill
|`* Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)www.GymRatZ.co.uk
| `* Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)Theo
|  +* Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)Graham J
|  |`* Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)Davey
|  | `- Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)Theo
|  `- Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)www.GymRats.uk
+- Re: Re:TrueSpeed Own Router (update)www.GymRatZ.co.uk
+- Re: Re:TrueSpeed Own Router (update)Abandoned_Trolley
`* Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)Mark Undrill
 `* Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)www.GymRatZ.co.uk
  `- Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)Mark Undrill

1
TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<u8otqs$3libs$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5434&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5434

From: noreply@where.cron (www.GymRatZ.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 14:22:27 +0100
 by: www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 13:22 UTC

Earlier in the year I asked if anyone knew a way of using TrueSpeed
domestic synchronous fibre broadband with own router. Nothing
definitive was evident especially from TrueSpeed themselves.

Well, in light of the recent on-going sales push in our area to get more
subscribers, I dropped another note to them for a more technical reply
as formerly their answer was "Yes you can, we just set up a DMZ any you
plug into our router".

So... Today I have been given some good news. Reply as follows:

*****

"The final answer is that you can use our own router/mesh system.
However from the point of sale, we'll get in contact to arrange an
installation, which requires having to set up the correct equipments for
your network to go live. Once the equipment is setup and your network is
up and running. All we can recommend is for you to give us a call to
change the configuration and systems on our end to allow you to connect
your router directly to the Fibre Termination Unit that we'll install.
This changeover will mean that you will not need to use our router to
distribute the connection and allow you to use your own."

*****

For the same price as I'm paying for FTTC + Telephone line I could have
a 600Mbps synchronous connection and something like A&A L2TP tunnel for
trafic that needs a static I.P. address it could well be happy days at last.

Only reposting this as a new thread as internet searches draw a blank
and google only throws up the original thread I created at the start of
the year.

Hope this helps others looking for the definitive answer.

Cheers
Pete

Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<u8pdu6$3n7o9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5438&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5438

From: spam@invalid.invalid (Mark Undrill)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2023 18:57:24 +0100
 by: Mark Undrill - Thu, 13 Jul 2023 17:57 UTC

On 13/07/2023 14:22, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
> Earlier in the year I asked if anyone knew a way of using TrueSpeed
> domestic synchronous fibre broadband with own router. Nothing
> definitive was evident especially from TrueSpeed themselves.
>
> Well, in light of the recent on-going sales push in our area to get more
> subscribers, I dropped another note to them for a more technical reply
> as formerly their answer was "Yes you can, we just set up a DMZ any you
> plug into our router".
>
> So... Today I have been given some good news. Reply as follows:
>
> *****
>
> "The final answer is that you can use our own router/mesh system.
> However from the point of sale, we'll get in contact to arrange an
> installation, which requires having to set up the correct equipments for
> your network to go live. Once the equipment is setup and your network is
> up and running. All we can recommend is for you to give us a call to
> change the configuration and systems on our end to allow you to connect
> your router directly to the Fibre Termination Unit that we'll install.
> This changeover will mean that you will not need to use our router to
> distribute the connection and allow you to use your own."
>
> *****
>
> For the same price as I'm paying for FTTC + Telephone line I could have
> a 600Mbps synchronous connection and something like A&A L2TP tunnel for
> trafic that needs a static I.P. address it could well be happy days at last.
>
> Only reposting this as a new thread as internet searches draw a blank
> and google only throws up the original thread I created at the start of
> the year.
>
> Hope this helps others looking for the definitive answer.
>
> Cheers
> Pete

This is good information. Please follow up this posting with details of
how things go if/when you do this. I'm afraid my impression of Truespeed
is that they have no interest in being helpful in any way. Perhaps
things are improving...

Mark

Re: Re:TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<u9bh4e$2odk3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5464&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5464

From: noreply@where.cron (www.GymRatZ.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Re:TrueSpeed Own Router (update)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:42:22 +0100
 by: www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:42 UTC

On 19/07/2023 03:11, Graham. wrote:
> What is synchronous fibre?
> Do you mean symmetrical?

I expect so but there's a degree of crossover between terms.

Synchronous: 1. happening or done at the same time or speed:

;)

Re: Re:TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<u9bi4a$2omaq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5465&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5465

From: fred@fredsmith.co.uk (Abandoned_Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:59:22 +0100
 by: Abandoned_Trolley - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 14:59 UTC

On 19/07/2023 03:11, Graham. wrote:
> What is synchronous fibre?
> Do you mean symmetrical?

Maybe it's the stuff they use to transport ATM :-\

--
random signature text inserted here

Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<u9bi5k$2onge$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5466&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5466

From: noreply@where.cron (www.GymRatZ.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:00:01 +0100
 by: www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:00 UTC

On 13/07/2023 18:57, Mark Undrill wrote:

> This is good information. Please follow up this posting with details of
> how things go if/when you do this. I'm afraid my impression of Truespeed
> is that they have no interest in being helpful in any way. Perhaps
> things are improving...

I think they're trying to sort out their failings Mark.

I've just had an even better follow-up:

*****
Customers can use theor own router connected directly to the fibre
termination unit (FTU/ONT), there is no need to put the truespeed
provided router into a DMZ or bridging mode. Customer simply needs to
set their own routers WAN port to dynamic, so it can accept a public IP
address from us, and it should simply work. We have encountered the odd
issue with customers own routers, but its almost always due to the
routers settings being set to a previous providers requirements. I
always suggest default dettings (to get started with) and simply set the
WAN port to dynamic. Then apply any additional settings from that point
onwards.
*****

And with regards to waiting to see what OpenReach roll out to replace FTTC:

*****
BT/Openreach (and most of the other providers) are due to be upgrading
the countries network to Fibre over XGS PON, and in many cases they do
plan for FTTP to the majority of the country. However, this is a very
long term plan. So won’t be happening any time soon in most places.
*****

And of course the dynaic I.P. address quert:

*****
The IP address is practically a static IP by default, officially its
not, as it ‘could’ change. But its extremely rare. A customer can pay
for a 30 day notice of when the IP address is due to change. But 9 times
out of 10, unless the customer is hosting a website (for example), the
IP change is so rare that it makes no difference, as its usually easy to
change the public IP on a server. I don’t want to complicate things too
much on this, but going into it too deeply, but unless something is
being hosted that needs to be available to the public and uses DNS
record to access. Its not likely to be an issue.
*****

So yes it's looking very promising.
Just need to work out a suitable cable run as what was the outside wall
of the house is now right in the middle of the house so new wiring
solution is required.

Cheers - Pete

Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<I9j*7xLlz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5467&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5467

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 20 Jul 2023 16:51:10 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 15:51 UTC

www.GymRatZ.co.uk <noreply@where.cron> wrote:
> I've just had an even better follow-up:
>
> *****
> Customers can use theor own router connected directly to the fibre
> termination unit (FTU/ONT), there is no need to put the truespeed
> provided router into a DMZ or bridging mode. Customer simply needs to
> set their own routers WAN port to dynamic, so it can accept a public IP
> address from us, and it should simply work. We have encountered the odd
> issue with customers own routers, but its almost always due to the
> routers settings being set to a previous providers requirements. I
> always suggest default dettings (to get started with) and simply set the
> WAN port to dynamic. Then apply any additional settings from that point
> onwards.
> *****

That's encouraging. It sounds like a 'normal' ISP install, common is many
parts of the world. The problems come when they merge the ONT and router
into one single box, and then you need to work out how to bypass the
'router' bit.

> And with regards to waiting to see what OpenReach roll out to replace FTTC:
>
> *****
> BT/Openreach (and most of the other providers) are due to be upgrading
> the countries network to Fibre over XGS PON, and in many cases they do
> plan for FTTP to the majority of the country. However, this is a very
> long term plan. So won’t be happening any time soon in most places.
> *****

Well they would say that, wouldn't they...
(not that it isn't true. Only you can check for your particular location)

> And of course the dynaic I.P. address quert:
>
> *****
> The IP address is practically a static IP by default, officially its
> not, as it ‘could’ change. But its extremely rare. A customer can pay
> for a 30 day notice of when the IP address is due to change. But 9 times
> out of 10, unless the customer is hosting a website (for example), the
> IP change is so rare that it makes no difference, as its usually easy to
> change the public IP on a server. I don’t want to complicate things too
> much on this, but going into it too deeply, but unless something is
> being hosted that needs to be available to the public and uses DNS
> record to access. Its not likely to be an issue.
> *****

That's easily fixable with some dynamic DNS entries. Many domain hosts have
an API that allows automated DNS updates - you don't need to use an
advertised 'dynamic DNS' provider, just one whose API is supported by
whatever tool you use to run the updates. Keep the TTL low so such changes
propagate rapidly.

Do they give you IPv6?

> So yes it's looking very promising.
> Just need to work out a suitable cable run as what was the outside wall
> of the house is now right in the middle of the house so new wiring
> solution is required.

Don't feel that you have to install the fibre near where your copper comes
in - you can move things to elsewhere if it's more convenient. Think about
where is the best location for your ONT and for your router (eg wifi
coverage, ethernet ports) - they don't need to be co-located.

Theo

Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<u9bp52$2q2h2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5468&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5468

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:59:01 +0100
 by: Graham J - Thu, 20 Jul 2023 16:59 UTC

Theo wrote:

[snip]

>> So won’t be happening any time soon in most places.

Curiously I waited years to get ADSL then VDSL and have only had VDSL
since 2018. This is a rural area near Thetford in Norfolk. But FTTP
was offered recently and was installed on 6 March this year by
Openreach. Possibly this was forced upon them by competition in the
form of <https://countybroadband.co.uk/> signing up customers starting
sometime in 2019. But County Broadband still haven't completed their
installation yet - there are technicians in vans trying to identify what
work has been done and whether it is right.

[snip]
>> And of course the dynamic I.P. address question:
>>
>> *****
>> The IP address is practically a static IP by default, officially its
>> not, as it ‘could’ change. But its extremely rare. A customer can pay
>> for a 30 day notice of when the IP address is due to change. But 9 times
>> out of 10, unless the customer is hosting a website (for example), the
>> IP change is so rare that it makes no difference, as its usually easy to
>> change the public IP on a server. I don’t want to complicate things too
>> much on this, but going into it too deeply, but unless something is
>> being hosted that needs to be available to the public and uses DNS
>> record to access. Its not likely to be an issue.
>> *****

If you want a static IP for hosting or VPN support (potentially a common
requirement for a small business) then it would be worth going with a
provider that guarantees it.

Beware that by static they don't mean public unless they explicitly say
so. The ISP (in common with EE, O2, Vodafone et al offering
2G/3G/4G/5G) may use CGNAT which means your "sticky" IP address may be
shared with hundreds of other users. Not a problem until one of those
users sends s*p*a*m and the address gets blacklisted. Reputable mail
service providers won't let you connect from a blacklisted IP.

[snip]

> Do they give you IPv6?

That's a key question. If they don't understand it, don't touch them.

[snip]

> Don't feel that you have to install the fibre near where your copper comes
> in - you can move things to elsewhere if it's more convenient. Think about
> where is the best location for your ONT and for your router (eg wifi
> coverage, ethernet ports) - they don't need to be co-located.

Proximity of power is also relevant - the ONT (and router, and VoIP
equipment if you have any) should all ideally be fed from a suitable UPS.

--
Graham J

Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<u9daij$354dl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5469&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5469

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 08:02:42 +0100
 by: Davey - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 07:02 UTC

On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:59:01 +0100
Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> But County Broadband still haven't completed their
> installation yet - there are technicians in vans trying to identify
> what work has been done and whether it is right.

County Broadband made a big song and dance a few years ago here, near
Diss, but nothing is to be seen at all. There are lots of Openreach and
contractor vans and earthworks going on all around. County Broadband
don't seem to be anywhere. The last time I asked my neighbour about her
application, all I got was a shrug of the shoulders.

--
Davey.

Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<H9j*wmPlz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5470&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5470

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 21 Jul 2023 10:14:01 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 09:14 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2023 17:59:01 +0100
> Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > But County Broadband still haven't completed their
> > installation yet - there are technicians in vans trying to identify
> > what work has been done and whether it is right.
>
> County Broadband made a big song and dance a few years ago here, near
> Diss, but nothing is to be seen at all. There are lots of Openreach and
> contractor vans and earthworks going on all around. County Broadband
> don't seem to be anywhere. The last time I asked my neighbour about her
> application, all I got was a shrug of the shoulders.

They said last September they were going to be handing over our village to
the build team. Since then there's been a couple of letters saying 'it's
coming' and a notice on a pole outside a new development site, and so far
nothing else. The terms of the signup was they had 12 months to install,
extendable by another 6 months, so I'm guessing the letters are so they
don't lose that extension. The install in the next village has been done,
apparently.

Still there's no signs of any movement from Openreach either. So will
happily take County if they come. They've reduced their prices to be more
competitive too.

Theo

Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<u9dud4$38fhj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5471&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5471

From: 0845.86.86.888@GymRatZ.Gym.Equipment (www.GymRats.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2023 13:41:03 +0100
Autocrypt: addr=0845.86.86.888@GymRatZ.Gym.Equipment; keydata=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 by: www.GymRats.uk - Fri, 21 Jul 2023 12:41 UTC

On 20/07/2023 16:51, Theo wrote:

> That's easily fixable with some dynamic DNS entries. Many domain hosts have
> an API that allows automated DNS updates - you don't need to use an
> advertised 'dynamic DNS' provider, just one whose API is supported by
> whatever tool you use to run the updates. Keep the TTL low so such changes
> propagate rapidly.
>
> Do they give you IPv6?
>
>> So yes it's looking very promising.
>> Just need to work out a suitable cable run as what was the outside wall
>> of the house is now right in the middle of the house so new wiring
>> solution is required.
>
> Don't feel that you have to install the fibre near where your copper comes
> in - you can move things to elsewhere if it's more convenient. Think about
> where is the best location for your ONT and for your router (eg wifi
> coverage, ethernet ports) - they don't need to be co-located.

Thanks Theo.
No mention of IPv6 that I've seen but yes DynDNS would work for the
home-office VPN and an A&A L2TP tunnel for a static IP address for the
web server DNS records.

Re: location, I have a small rack housing a 48 port switch and patch
panel in the loft and require the 2 existing RJ45 sockets next to the
router as one socket feeds the main network switch for the house and the
second socket is DMZ going to the web server on an isolated subnet so
ONT back to patch panel and patched down to existing router location is
really the best option but that also means I need to add a third
ethernet socket back to the patch panel.

I do have a Cat5e tail coiled up in the BT socket so may well have
pre-cabled it all those years ago "just in case"... Cable tracer is my
best friend. :)

Every room in the house has one or more RJ45 outlets so Wi-Fi is by
WAP's where required.

Cheers - Pete

Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<ucva0k$dopb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5718&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5718

From: spam@invalid.invalid (Mark Undrill)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 13:32:18 +0100
 by: Mark Undrill - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 12:32 UTC

On 13/07/2023 14:22, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
> Earlier in the year I asked if anyone knew a way of using TrueSpeed
> domestic synchronous fibre broadband with own router. Nothing
> definitive was evident especially from TrueSpeed themselves.
>
> Well, in light of the recent on-going sales push in our area to get more
> subscribers, I dropped another note to them for a more technical reply
> as formerly their answer was "Yes you can, we just set up a DMZ any you
> plug into our router".
>
> So... Today I have been given some good news. Reply as follows:
>
> *****
>
> "The final answer is that you can use our own router/mesh system.
> However from the point of sale, we'll get in contact to arrange an
> installation, which requires having to set up the correct equipments for
> your network to go live. Once the equipment is setup and your network is
> up and running. All we can recommend is for you to give us a call to
> change the configuration and systems on our end to allow you to connect
> your router directly to the Fibre Termination Unit that we'll install.
> This changeover will mean that you will not need to use our router to
> distribute the connection and allow you to use your own."
>
> *****
>
> For the same price as I'm paying for FTTC + Telephone line I could have
> a 600Mbps synchronous connection and something like A&A L2TP tunnel for
> trafic that needs a static I.P. address it could well be happy days at last.
>
> Only reposting this as a new thread as internet searches draw a blank
> and google only throws up the original thread I created at the start of
> the year.
>
> Hope this helps others looking for the definitive answer.
>
> Cheers
> Pete

How did you get on? Or are you still waiting?

Mark

Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<udshlv$25o8l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5719&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5719

From: noreply@where.cron (www.GymRatZ.co.uk)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 15:40:52 +0100
 by: www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 14:40 UTC

On 02/09/2023 13:32, Mark Undrill wrote:

> How did you get on? Or are you still waiting?

Hi Mark,
I haven't gone any further yet.

Well, I have slightly in as much as I have now replaced the older
Draytek 2926n with a more capable 2862Vac that was removed from its
former location and has firewall throughput spped more suitable for
Truespeed services. Next job is to get the £2 3Mbps A&A L2TP set up to
play around with to see if I can get a server correctly routed through it.
Biggest hang-up is cable reconfiguration which means getting in the loft
and fitting another ethernet box in the office. A job for the cooler
season so lower down the "urgent jobs" list.

Re: TrueSpeed Own Router (update)

<udsr9o$27i98$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5720&group=uk.telecom.broadband#5720

From: spam@invalid.invalid (Mark Undrill)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2023 18:25:11 +0100
 by: Mark Undrill - Wed, 13 Sep 2023 17:25 UTC

On 13/09/2023 15:40, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
> On 02/09/2023 13:32, Mark Undrill wrote:
>
>> How did you get on? Or are you still waiting?
>
> Hi Mark,
> I haven't gone any further yet.
>
> Well, I have slightly in as much as I have now replaced the older
> Draytek 2926n with a more capable 2862Vac that was removed from its
> former location and has firewall throughput spped more suitable for
> Truespeed services. Next job is to get the £2 3Mbps A&A L2TP set up to
> play around with to see if I can get a server correctly routed through it.
> Biggest hang-up is cable reconfiguration which means getting in the loft
> and fitting another ethernet box in the office. A job for the cooler
> season so lower down the "urgent jobs" list.

OK. Thanks. Keep us posted...