P-K4

aus+uk / uk.transport.london / Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

SubjectAuthor
* No price capping with Thames ClipperMuttley
+* No price capping with Thames ClipperAndy Burns
|`- No price capping with Thames ClipperMuttley
+* No price capping with Thames ClipperRecliner
|`* No price capping with Thames ClipperMuttley
| `* No price capping with Thames ClipperRoland Perry
|  `* No price capping with Thames ClipperMuttley
|   +* No price capping with Thames ClipperDavid Jones
|   |`* No price capping with Thames ClipperRecliner
|   | `* No price capping with Thames ClipperMuttley
|   |  `- No price capping with Thames ClipperGraeme Wall
|   `- No price capping with Thames ClipperRecliner
`- No price capping with Thames ClipperRoland Perry

1
No price capping with Thames Clipper

<unjtjq$22ta5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5731&group=uk.transport.london#5731

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: No price capping with Thames Clipper
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 16:52:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 16:52 UTC

Just checking my credit card statement and noticed a 15 quid TfL charge
that included the Thames Clipper. Seems like the 10 quid daily cap doesn't
apply. So much for encouraging people to use public transport - we only went
a mile on the damn thing as a special treat for my daughter. Would have been
cheaper to walk and chuck gold leaf over our shoulders.

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<l05cluFpmsvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5732&group=uk.transport.london#5732

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Subject: Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:05:01 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:05 UTC

Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

> Just checking my credit card statement and noticed a 15 quid TfL charge
> that included the Thames Clipper. Seems like the 10 quid daily cap doesn't
> apply.

Their website does say that.

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<I2fnN.15825$gw1.700@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5733&group=uk.transport.london#5733

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2024 17:06:48 GMT
 by: Recliner - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:06 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> Just checking my credit card statement and noticed a 15 quid TfL charge
> that included the Thames Clipper. Seems like the 10 quid daily cap doesn't
> apply. So much for encouraging people to use public transport - we only went
> a mile on the damn thing as a special treat for my daughter. Would have been
> cheaper to walk and chuck gold leaf over our shoulders.

Guess what — taxis aren't, either. Like them, the boats are a private
service, not included in any TfL fares, nor Freedom passes.

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<unjus7$23425$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5734&group=uk.transport.london#5734

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:13:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:13 UTC

On Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:05:01 +0000
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>
>> Just checking my credit card statement and noticed a 15 quid TfL charge
>> that included the Thames Clipper. Seems like the 10 quid daily cap doesn't
>> apply.
>
>Their website does say that.

Might have been nice if it had been mentioned on the card readers on the
quay!

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<unjut1$2346e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5735&group=uk.transport.london#5735

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:14:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Tue, 9 Jan 2024 17:14 UTC

On Tue, 09 Jan 2024 17:06:48 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> Just checking my credit card statement and noticed a 15 quid TfL charge
>> that included the Thames Clipper. Seems like the 10 quid daily cap doesn't
>> apply. So much for encouraging people to use public transport - we only went
>> a mile on the damn thing as a special treat for my daughter. Would have been
>> cheaper to walk and chuck gold leaf over our shoulders.
>
>Guess what — taxis aren't, either. Like them, the boats are a private
>service, not included in any TfL fares, nor Freedom passes.

Can you use an Oyster card in a black cab?

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<saG7ekqvQjnlFASt@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5736&group=uk.transport.london#5736

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:07:43 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:07 UTC

In message <unjtjq$22ta5$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:52:10 on Tue, 9 Jan
2024, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

>Just checking my credit card statement and noticed a 15 quid TfL charge
>that included the Thames Clipper. Seems like the 10 quid daily cap doesn't
>apply. So much for encouraging people to use public transport - we only went
>a mile on the damn thing as a special treat for my daughter. Would have been
>cheaper to walk and chuck gold leaf over our shoulders.

I dodged a bullet last year because we were going to do a similar trip
but missed the "last boat" (which was mid-afternoon I think).
--
Roland Perry

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<3qz9CNr4RjnlFAz8@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5737&group=uk.transport.london#5737

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:08:56 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:08 UTC

In message <unjut1$2346e$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:14:09 on Tue, 9 Jan
2024, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

>>> Just checking my credit card statement and noticed a 15 quid TfL charge
>>> that included the Thames Clipper. Seems like the 10 quid daily cap doesn't
>>> apply. So much for encouraging people to use public transport - we only went
>>> a mile on the damn thing as a special treat for my daughter. Would have been
>>> cheaper to walk and chuck gold leaf over our shoulders.
>>
>>Guess what — taxis aren't, either. Like them, the boats are a private
>>service, not included in any TfL fares, nor Freedom passes.
>
>Can you use an Oyster card in a black cab?

Yes, but not for paying the fare. Cleaning the inside of the window
perhaps.
--
Roland Perry

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<unlnku$2ee51$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5738&group=uk.transport.london#5738

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:22:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:22 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:08:56 +0000
Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>In message <unjut1$2346e$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:14:09 on Tue, 9 Jan
>2024, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

>went
>been
>>>
>>>Guess what — taxis aren't, either. Like them, the boats are a private
>>>service, not included in any TfL fares, nor Freedom passes.
>>
>>Can you use an Oyster card in a black cab?
>
>Yes, but not for paying the fare. Cleaning the inside of the window
>perhaps.

Exactly. The boat might be run by a private company but its a TfL service just
like the buses (also run by private companies) and their fares are set by TfL.
Taxis OTOH are a purely private enterprise.

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<unlvmd$2fj3h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5739&group=uk.transport.london#5739

From: dajhawkxx@nowherel.com (David Jones)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:39:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Jones - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:39 UTC

Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:08:56 +0000
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> > In message <unjut1$2346e$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:14:09 on Tue, 9
> > Jan 2024, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

> charge >>>> that included the Thames Clipper. Seems like the 10 quid
> daily cap doesn't >>>> apply. So much for encouraging people to use
> public transport - we only
> > went
> Would have
> > been

> > > Can you use an Oyster card in a black cab?
> >
> > Yes, but not for paying the fare. Cleaning the inside of the window
> > perhaps.
>
> Exactly. The boat might be run by a private company but its a TfL
> service just like the buses (also run by private companies) and their
> fares are set by TfL. Taxis OTOH are a purely private enterprise.

Black cab fares are set by TfL. See
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<6nvnN.25146$v7Ud.126@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5740&group=uk.transport.london#5740

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:40:50 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:40 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:08:56 +0000
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <unjut1$2346e$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:14:09 on Tue, 9 Jan
>> 2024, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

>> went
>> been

>>> Can you use an Oyster card in a black cab?
>>
>> Yes, but not for paying the fare. Cleaning the inside of the window
>> perhaps.
>
> Exactly. The boat might be run by a private company but its a TfL service just
> like the buses (also run by private companies) and their fares are set by TfL.
> Taxis OTOH are a purely private enterprise.

No, they are heavily regulated and the fares set by TfL. For example, for
the last six years, new taxis in London have had to be ZEC, and diesels are
banned. The older licensed taxis can see out their 15 year lives, but
would not be allowed new licences. All the newer taxis are either BEVs or
petrol PHEVs.

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/taxis-and-private-hire/emissions-standards-for-taxis

The Thames gondolas are like the Clippers: Oyster can be used to purchase
tickets, but doesn't contribute to the fare cap. As any public transport
user in London should know, there is a "Cap for bus, Tube, tram, DLR,
London Overground, Elizabeth line and National Rail journeys in London".

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<nuvnN.15844$gw1.7620@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5741&group=uk.transport.london#5741

Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:48:35 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:48 UTC

David Jones <dajhawkxx@nowherel.com> wrote:
> Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 06:08:56 +0000
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <unjut1$2346e$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:14:09 on Tue, 9
>>> Jan 2024, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com remarked:

>> charge >>>> that included the Thames Clipper. Seems like the 10 quid
>> daily cap doesn't >>>> apply. So much for encouraging people to use
>> public transport - we only
>>> went
>> Would have
>>> been

>>> Yes, but not for paying the fare. Cleaning the inside of the window
>>> perhaps.
>>
>> Exactly. The boat might be run by a private company but its a TfL
>> service just like the buses (also run by private companies) and their
>> fares are set by TfL. Taxis OTOH are a purely private enterprise.
>
> Black cab fares are set by TfL. See
> https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares

And both the vehicles and drivers are licensed by TfL.

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<unmfbb$2i4a8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5742&group=uk.transport.london#5742

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:07:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 16:07 UTC

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:48:35 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>David Jones <dajhawkxx@nowherel.com> wrote:
>> Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>>> Exactly. The boat might be run by a private company but its a TfL
>>> service just like the buses (also run by private companies) and their
>>> fares are set by TfL. Taxis OTOH are a purely private enterprise.
>>
>> Black cab fares are set by TfL. See
>> https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares
>>

>And both the vehicles and drivers are licensed by TfL.

They're not given set routes to work, set places to pick up and drop off (bar
a few in central london and airports and they're usually nothing to do with
TfL) and don't work to a timetable. If you're going to have the water bourne
equivalent of a bus franchised by TfL except with zoned fares it would be nice
to post the fares somewhere convenient - ie at the piers (paid for by TfL).

Re: No price capping with Thames Clipper

<unmig7$2ijin$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5743&group=uk.transport.london#5743

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:00:55 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:00 UTC

On 10/01/2024 16:07, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 11:48:35 GMT
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> David Jones <dajhawkxx@nowherel.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Black cab fares are set by TfL. See
>>> https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares
>>>

>> And both the vehicles and drivers are licensed by TfL.
>
> They're not given set routes to work, set places to pick up and drop off (bar
> a few in central london and airports and they're usually nothing to do with
> TfL) and don't work to a timetable. If you're going to have the water bourne
> equivalent of a bus franchised by TfL except with zoned fares it would be nice
> to post the fares somewhere convenient - ie at the piers (paid for by TfL).

I must agree, the river bus information at the piers is fairly opaque.
As far as I can make out, some services are TfL franchises, yet others,
using the same craft and branding, are not.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.