All Finagle Laws may be bypassed by learning the simple art of doing without thinking.

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

SubjectAuthor
* ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Ottavio Caruso
+* ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Tweed
|+* Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Ottavio Caruso
||`- Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Tweed
|`* Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?notya...@gmail.com
| `* Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Ottavio Caruso
|  `* Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Tweed
|   `* Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Ottavio Caruso
|    `* Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Tweed
|     `- Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Abandoned Trolley
`* Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Pamela
 `- Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?Ottavio Caruso

1
ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<unlpac$2ejhd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5803&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5803

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:51:08 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:51 UTC

I've had this problem for a few weeks.

I have a Huawei Y9 (2019) which supports 4G (but not 4G calling). I'm on
ASDA Mobile (using Vodafone network) and I have a valid phone+text+data
bundle.

In the morning, usually up to 11 am. I have no coverage. I mean, I have
all full bars, the signal is there, but I cannot call out or receive
calls. I need to do an SMS verification to a website in the morning and
this is annoying.

I tried all possible tricks. Eventually I went into Setting > Mobile
Network > Preferred Network Mode > Only 2G, and the phone started
working again. This is annoying, because when I need data, I have to
re-enable 4G.

I called ASDA mobile support but as you can expect they don't have a clue.

Any ideas?

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<unmjps$2iroq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5825&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5825

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:23:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:os3UI0Eq9QoR7NoXk0PkM30TXYo=
 by: Tweed - Wed, 10 Jan 2024 17:23 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've had this problem for a few weeks.
>
> I have a Huawei Y9 (2019) which supports 4G (but not 4G calling). I'm on
> ASDA Mobile (using Vodafone network) and I have a valid phone+text+data
> bundle.
>
> In the morning, usually up to 11 am. I have no coverage. I mean, I have
> all full bars, the signal is there, but I cannot call out or receive
> calls. I need to do an SMS verification to a website in the morning and
> this is annoying.
>
> I tried all possible tricks. Eventually I went into Setting > Mobile
> Network > Preferred Network Mode > Only 2G, and the phone started
> working again. This is annoying, because when I need data, I have to
> re-enable 4G.
>
> I called ASDA mobile support but as you can expect they don't have a clue.
>
> Any ideas?

Have you tried at a different location? I had this problem a while ago due
to a fault at the local cell site.

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<unoe85$2um8t$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5833&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5833

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:00:36 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:00 UTC

Am 10/01/2024 um 17:23 schrieb Tweed:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I've had this problem for a few weeks.
>>
>> I have a Huawei Y9 (2019) which supports 4G (but not 4G calling). I'm on
>> ASDA Mobile (using Vodafone network) and I have a valid phone+text+data
>> bundle.
>>
>> In the morning, usually up to 11 am. I have no coverage. I mean, I have
>> all full bars, the signal is there, but I cannot call out or receive
>> calls. I need to do an SMS verification to a website in the morning and
>> this is annoying.
>>
>> I tried all possible tricks. Eventually I went into Setting > Mobile
>> Network > Preferred Network Mode > Only 2G, and the phone started
>> working again. This is annoying, because when I need data, I have to
>> re-enable 4G.
>>
>> I called ASDA mobile support but as you can expect they don't have a clue.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Have you tried at a different location? I had this problem a while ago due
> to a fault at the local cell site.

No I haven't, also because this happens only until mid morning. In any
case, after being a Karen for a couple of hours and insisting that a
supervisor call me, the latter actually called me and said that there
were problems at Vodafone (apparently migration to 4G gone wrong). I was
offered a £5 refund and I took it.

Lesson learned: if I ever move away from ASDA, it won't be for Vodafone.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<unofd2$2uuml$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5835&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5835

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:20:18 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:KjUBD7T1X3UyHvfheB60q0SQ75g=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 10:20 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Am 10/01/2024 um 17:23 schrieb Tweed:
>> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I've had this problem for a few weeks.
>>>
>>> I have a Huawei Y9 (2019) which supports 4G (but not 4G calling). I'm on
>>> ASDA Mobile (using Vodafone network) and I have a valid phone+text+data
>>> bundle.
>>>
>>> In the morning, usually up to 11 am. I have no coverage. I mean, I have
>>> all full bars, the signal is there, but I cannot call out or receive
>>> calls. I need to do an SMS verification to a website in the morning and
>>> this is annoying.
>>>
>>> I tried all possible tricks. Eventually I went into Setting > Mobile
>>> Network > Preferred Network Mode > Only 2G, and the phone started
>>> working again. This is annoying, because when I need data, I have to
>>> re-enable 4G.
>>>
>>> I called ASDA mobile support but as you can expect they don't have a clue.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Have you tried at a different location? I had this problem a while ago due
>> to a fault at the local cell site.
>>

> No I haven't, also because this happens only until mid morning. In any
> case, after being a Karen for a couple of hours and insisting that a
> supervisor call me, the latter actually called me and said that there
> were problems at Vodafone (apparently migration to 4G gone wrong). I was
> offered a £5 refund and I took it.
>
> Lesson learned: if I ever move away from ASDA, it won't be for Vodafone.

Every network has its occasional issue. If you won’t use one because of an
outage you’ll be without a choice at some point.

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<XnsB0F67042F98F15D4AM2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5837&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5837

From: pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:02:08 GMT
 by: Pamela - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 11:02 UTC

On 09:51 10 Jan 2024, Ottavio Caruso said:

> I've had this problem for a few weeks.
>
> I have a Huawei Y9 (2019) which supports 4G (but not 4G calling). I'm
> on ASDA Mobile (using Vodafone network) and I have a valid
> phone+text+data bundle.
>
> In the morning, usually up to 11 am.

"Do Not Disturb" set?

On Android 10:
Settings > Sound > Do Not Disturb > Calls
Settings > Sound > Do Not Disturb > Schedules > gear wheel

> I have no coverage. I mean, I
> have all full bars, the signal is there, but I cannot call out or
> receive calls. I need to do an SMS verification to a website in the
> morning and this is annoying.
>
> I tried all possible tricks. Eventually I went into Setting > Mobile
> Network > Preferred Network Mode > Only 2G, and the phone started
> working again. This is annoying, because when I need data, I have to
> re-enable 4G.
>
> I called ASDA mobile support but as you can expect they don't have a
> clue.
>
> Any ideas?

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<c4b559ef-36ca-4e9a-9250-5c8f2478015an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5840&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5840

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 04:54:46 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 12:54 UTC

On Wednesday 10 January 2024 at 17:23:12 UTC, Tweed wrote:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I've had this problem for a few weeks.
> >
> > I have a Huawei Y9 (2019) which supports 4G (but not 4G calling). I'm on
> > ASDA Mobile (using Vodafone network) and I have a valid phone+text+data
> > bundle.
> >
> > In the morning, usually up to 11 am. I have no coverage. I mean, I have
> > all full bars, the signal is there, but I cannot call out or receive
> > calls. I need to do an SMS verification to a website in the morning and
> > this is annoying.
> >
> > I tried all possible tricks. Eventually I went into Setting > Mobile
> > Network > Preferred Network Mode > Only 2G, and the phone started
> > working again. This is annoying, because when I need data, I have to
> > re-enable 4G.
> >
> > I called ASDA mobile support but as you can expect they don't have a clue.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >

> Have you tried at a different location? I had this problem a while ago due
> to a fault at the local cell site.

ASDA runs on Voda, which is switching off 3G, like er now: -
https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/3g-switch-off

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<unot0d$30vu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5842&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5842

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:12:28 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:12 UTC

Am 11/01/2024 um 11:02 schrieb Pamela:
> On 09:51 10 Jan 2024, Ottavio Caruso said:
>
>> I've had this problem for a few weeks.
>>
>> I have a Huawei Y9 (2019) which supports 4G (but not 4G calling). I'm
>> on ASDA Mobile (using Vodafone network) and I have a valid
>> phone+text+data bundle.
>>
>> In the morning, usually up to 11 am.
>
> "Do Not Disturb" set?
>
> On Android 10:
> Settings > Sound > Do Not Disturb > Calls
> Settings > Sound > Do Not Disturb > Schedules > gear wheel

No. It's not set. And in any case this would affect call in, not calls out.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<unot34$30vu8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5843&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5843

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:13:55 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:13 UTC

Am 11/01/2024 um 12:54 schrieb notya...@gmail.com:
> On Wednesday 10 January 2024 at 17:23:12 UTC, Tweed wrote:
>> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I've had this problem for a few weeks.
>>>
>>> I have a Huawei Y9 (2019) which supports 4G (but not 4G calling). I'm on
>>> ASDA Mobile (using Vodafone network) and I have a valid phone+text+data
>>> bundle.
>>>
>>> In the morning, usually up to 11 am. I have no coverage. I mean, I have
>>> all full bars, the signal is there, but I cannot call out or receive
>>> calls. I need to do an SMS verification to a website in the morning and
>>> this is annoying.
>>>
>>> I tried all possible tricks. Eventually I went into Setting > Mobile
>>> Network > Preferred Network Mode > Only 2G, and the phone started
>>> working again. This is annoying, because when I need data, I have to
>>> re-enable 4G.
>>>
>>> I called ASDA mobile support but as you can expect they don't have a clue.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> Have you tried at a different location? I had this problem a while ago due
>> to a fault at the local cell site.
>
> ASDA runs on Voda, which is switching off 3G, like er now: -
> https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/3g-switch-off

Yes, I know and so why does the phone line work only when I switch the
4G off? It should be the opposite.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<unot7h$311f7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5844&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5844

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:16:17 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:RWrIPtV7b5k4qwLDo3Dsr8yW64c=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 14:16 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Am 11/01/2024 um 12:54 schrieb notya...@gmail.com:

>>> Have you tried at a different location? I had this problem a while ago due
>>> to a fault at the local cell site.
>>
>> ASDA runs on Voda, which is switching off 3G, like er now: -
>> https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/3g-switch-off
>
> Yes, I know and so why does the phone line work only when I switch the
> 4G off? It should be the opposite.

Is this still a problem? If yes, try a different location so you are using
a different cell site.

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<unp5ui$32cve$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5847&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5847

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:45:06 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 16:45 UTC

Am 11/01/2024 um 14:16 schrieb Tweed:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> ASDA runs on Voda, which is switching off 3G, like er now: -
>>> https://www.vodafone.co.uk/help-and-information/3g-switch-off
>>
>> Yes, I know and so why does the phone line work only when I switch the
>> 4G off? It should be the opposite.
>>

> Is this still a problem? If yes, try a different location so you are using
> a different cell site.

Well it is intermittent, therefore difficult to troubleshoot.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<unp8ce$32rc9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5848&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5848

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2024 17:26:38 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:VIn3qIHwqGt+63jbBZD18gSm57k=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 11 Jan 2024 17:26 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Am 11/01/2024 um 14:16 schrieb Tweed:
>> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, I know and so why does the phone line work only when I switch the
>>> 4G off? It should be the opposite.
>>>

>> Is this still a problem? If yes, try a different location so you are using
>> a different cell site.
>>

> Well it is intermittent, therefore difficult to troubleshoot.

Perhaps you are covered by more than one cell and it depends which your
phone attaches to. The front of my house is covered by a different one to
the rear. The defective cell site behaved exactly how you mentioned, full
signal strength but no data moving. Affected both Vodafone and O2
customers. Took them 3 months to fix.

Re: ASDA Mobile works only if I force 2G. Bizarre?

<unr1po$3dmj1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5850&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5850

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2024 09:46:32 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Fri, 12 Jan 2024 09:46 UTC

> Perhaps you are covered by more than one cell and it depends which your
> phone attaches to. The front of my house is covered by a different one to
> the rear. The defective cell site behaved exactly how you mentioned, full
> signal strength but no data moving. Affected both Vodafone and O2
> customers. Took them 3 months to fix.

If the cell is in congestion then it would show full signal strength and
no data moving - the problem is also likely to be intermittent.