Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 09:37:19 +0100
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
From: bunnyhare41@hotmail.com (bunny hare)
Subject: GMT Saturday 1st July
 by: bunny hare - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 08:37 UTC

Can't see a GMT thread so as I am here thought Id better start one.

Still warm here but rain showers mixed with the sunshine so the dog
hasn;t had his bus ride yet this morning

I have an at home day but off to the ceilidh this evening

Hope all are well

--
Barb

Re: GMT Saturday 1st July

<kga9bsF96vdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5874&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5874

From: flyingnun@roseofwhite.plus.com (Flyi?g ?u? 2?22+)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Subject: Re: GMT Saturday 1st July
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 10:18:53 +0100
 by: Flyi?g ?u? 2?22+ - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 09:18 UTC

bunny hare wrote:
> Can't see a GMT thread so as I am here thought Id better start one.
>
> Still warm here but rain showers mixed with the sunshine so the dog
> hasn;t had his bus ride yet this morning
>
> I have an at home day but off to the ceilidh this evening
>
> Hope all are well

Thanks Barb!
Mornin' from a dry, gusty, cool, overcast and dull day here in South
Yorkshire. Temperature out there is 16.2C (61.2F) with the barometric
pressure steady at 1001.4 mB and RH at 74%. Forecast is for it to
remain dry and cloudy but with many sunny periods this afternoon. The
temperature should peak at 20C (68F) and then fall to an overnight low
of 12C (53.6F). The gusty winds, of up to 20 mph, from the west will
continue all day. Have a great one everyone but stay safe.

Sootie was up, breakfasted and out by 08:30 but returned around an
hour later to have a snooze on my bed. Tabby hasn't been visiting so
far today but was here for some dinner, and later for supper yesterday.
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter.
FN 2�22+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland..

Re: GMT Saturday 1st July

<u7p821$2u90b$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5875&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5875

From: bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 14:00:47 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 13:00 UTC

On 01/07/2023 09:37, bunny hare wrote:
> Can't see a GMT thread so as I am here thought Id better start one.
>
> Still warm here but rain showers mixed with the sunshine so the dog
> hasn;t had his bus ride yet this morning
>
> I have an at home day but off to the ceilidh this evening
>
> Hope all are well

Good afternoon from Somerset.
69F and 1009mb. It has been a dull and windy morning and finally the
sun has started peeping through.

You mentioned bus rides, and it was to plan a bus ride that I have had a
busy but largely wasted morning. This afternoon I need to go somewhere
I haven't been to before, and I looked for information on how to get
there by bus. The bus company's travel planner recognised where I was
starting from and where I was going to. That is where the good news
ended. All I wanted was information on the bus numbers that would carry
me. What I got was an answer informing me to download their App and it
would tell me. As I have not got anything that will run Apps, this was a
useful as a chocolate teapot.

I ended up going through the list of route numbers and looking at the
map of each route to see if it went where I wanted to go, so that I
could identify which routes were possibles and then look at the
timetables to see which one would be most convenient for the time I
wanted to arrive. I now know which bus to catch and when (provided they
do run it), but I wasted an hour and a half finding that out. Then I
got a pop-up asking me what I thought of their website and I spent
another 2 minutes saying (reasonably politely) why it wasn't fit for
purpose.

Best wishes to everybody.

Jim

Re: GMT Saturday 1st July

<u7phun$2vd4s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5876&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5876

From: me@privacy.net (Who, me?)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2023 15:49:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Who, me? - Sat, 1 Jul 2023 15:49 UTC

On Sat, 01 Jul 2023 14:00:47 +0100, Indy Jess John wrote:

> You mentioned bus rides, and it was to plan a bus ride that I have had a
> busy but largely wasted morning. This afternoon I need to go somewhere
> I haven't been to before, and I looked for information on how to get
> there by bus. The bus company's travel planner recognised where I was
> starting from and where I was going to. That is where the good news
> ended. All I wanted was information on the bus numbers that would carry
> me. What I got was an answer informing me to download their App and it
> would tell me. As I have not got anything that will run Apps, this was a
> useful as a chocolate teapot.
>
> I ended up going through the list of route numbers and looking at the
> map of each route to see if it went where I wanted to go, so that I
> could identify which routes were possibles and then look at the
> timetables to see which one would be most convenient for the time I
> wanted to arrive. I now know which bus to catch and when (provided they
> do run it), but I wasted an hour and a half finding that out.

Have you tried Google Maps: Use the directions search to enter your start
and finish points then click the little 'train' icon to select public
transport. You can then select what time you want to leave or end your
journey a little further down and also, under options, you can specify
the mode of transport to use such as 'Bus' and a couple of other options
on the type of route.

You can even put in your home postcode as a start point and it will tell
you how long to walk to the bus stop serving the route.

Re: GMT Saturday 1st July

<u7r7n6$38jl8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5877&group=uk.people.silversurfers#5877

From: bathwatchdog@OMITTHISgooglemail.com (Indy Jess John)
Newsgroups: uk.people.silversurfers
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2023 08:07:17 +0100
 by: Indy Jess John - Sun, 2 Jul 2023 07:07 UTC

On 01/07/2023 16:49, Who, me? wrote:

> Have you tried Google Maps: Use the directions search to enter your start
> and finish points then click the little 'train' icon to select public
> transport. You can then select what time you want to leave or end your
> journey a little further down and also, under options, you can specify
> the mode of transport to use such as 'Bus' and a couple of other options
> on the type of route.
>
> You can even put in your home postcode as a start point and it will tell
> you how long to walk to the bus stop serving the route.

Thanks. I have made a note of that in case there is a next time.

As it turned out, a friend dropped round and asked me if I could make a
couple of copies of something she was working on (I have a scanner and
she hasn't) so that she had something she could jot notes on without
ruining her originals. I told her that I would do it later because I
had somewhere to go shortly, and she told me she had her car outside and
would give me a lift. That seemed a fair exchange and I got there
without using the bus. After the event, I stood at the bus stop to
return home and a bus number I hadn't found arrived with a local (to me)
destination on the front and it took me back to near my home.

Real life is what happens while I am planning something else :-)

Jim

PS. I scanned her originals and printed her copies when I got back, and
she will collect them sometime today.

aus+uk / uk.people.silversurfers / Re: GMT Saturday 1st July