Cure the disease and kill the patient. -- Francis Bacon

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

SubjectAuthor
* Phone with good display for user with failing sightRichard Treen
+* Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sightAndy Burns
|+- Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sightWoody
|`- Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sightDave Royal
+- Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sightMartin Nicholas
+- Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sightDavid Woolley
+- Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sightRichard Treen
`* Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sightJava Jive
 +- Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sightRichard Treen
 `* Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sightDavid Woolley
  `- Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sightJava Jive

1
Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<6fupqipjm2m7ld4fqlk2rl14qf3a1fmc1f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5882&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5882

From: treenoakio@home.com (Richard Treen)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Phone with good display for user with failing sight
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:29:24 +0000
 by: Richard Treen - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:29 UTC

I had a Oneplus 5T that was never easy to see in outside liight.
On the local beach I couldn't see anything on the display.
Yet, I could see the display on my daughter's Samsung phone quite
well. Please can anyone advise me on a relatively inexpensive,
slightly older than the most recent phones, with a good display?
--

Ric_Treen

Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<l14dofFu122U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5883&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5883

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:33:36 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:33 UTC

Richard Treen wrote:

> I had a Oneplus 5T that was never easy to see in outside liight.
> On the local beach I couldn't see anything on the display.
> Yet, I could see the display on my daughter's Samsung phone quite
> well.

You can get quite bright OLED screens, unfortunately unlikely to be on
cheaper/older phones ...

Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<uoj1um$6071$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5884&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5884

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:16:22 +0000
 by: Woody - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:16 UTC

On Sun 21/01/2024 11:33, Andy Burns wrote:
> Richard Treen wrote:
>
>> I had a Oneplus 5T that was never easy to see in outside liight.
>> On the local beach I couldn't see anything on the display.
>> Yet, I could see the display on my daughter's Samsung phone quite
>> well.
>
> You can get quite bright OLED screens, unfortunately unlikely to be on
> cheaper/older phones ...

Have a look at the 'simple' smartphones by Doro.

Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<20240121122648.168649f5@dsklinux.lan>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5885&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5885

From: reply-2024@mgn.org.uk (Martin Nicholas)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:26:48 +0000
 by: Martin Nicholas - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:26 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 11:29:24 +0000
Richard Treen <treenoakio@home.com> wrote:

> I had a Oneplus 5T that was never easy to see in outside liight.
> On the local beach I couldn't see anything on the display.
> Yet, I could see the display on my daughter's Samsung phone quite
> well. Please can anyone advise me on a relatively inexpensive,
> slightly older than the most recent phones, with a good display?

Unwarp this:
https://www.rnib.org.uk/living-with-sight-loss/assistive-aids-and-technology/tech-support-and-information/phones-and-tablets/

--
Regards,

Martin Nicholas.

E-mail: reply-202401@mgn.org.uk (Address will be valid throughout
January).

Only 31 days left until "Free From BigG Day".

Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<uoj2pu$628p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5886&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5886

From: dave@dave123royal.com (Dave Royal)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:30:54 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Dave Royal - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 12:30 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> Wrote in message:
> Richard Treen wrote:
>
>> I had a Oneplus 5T that was never easy to see in outside liight.
>> On the local beach I couldn't see anything on the display.
>> Yet, I could see the display on my daughter's Samsung phone quite
>> well.
>
> You can get quite bright OLED screens, unfortunately unlikely to be on
> cheaper/older phones ...

Richard: find out what model your daughter's Samsung is, and hence
what sort of display it has. Maybe the Oneplus 5T is just dim.
Then you might know what display technology you should look
for.

--
Remove numerics from my email address.

Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<uojebr$7qf3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5887&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5887

From: david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 15:48:11 +0000
 by: David Woolley - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 15:48 UTC

On 21/01/2024 11:29, Richard Treen wrote:
> I could see the display on my daughter's Samsung phone quite
> well. Please can anyone advise me on a relatively inexpensive,
> slightly older than the most recent phones, with a good display?

My limited experience of Samsung phones is that only those with an OLED
can outperform bright sunlight.

OLED is always going to be a premium feature, although I had a J5
(2017), which is mid- to low-range, with one. The problem it has now is
that the upgrades means there is no room for any apps, and it is end of
life in terms of security updates.

You might be able to get a display replaced with an OLED one, but it is
likely to cost more than a low end non-OLED, just for the upgrade.

Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<hteqqih26kcp3u0k65qa9iulrr81knv9nh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5888&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5888

From: treenoakio@home.com (Richard Treen)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 15:48:52 +0000
 by: Richard Treen - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 15:48 UTC

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking of going for the Samsung S21 or
S22 or Google Pixel 7 Pro, when I've sorted out which has the display
quality I need,
--

Ric_Treen

Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<uojhha$8dr4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5889&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5889

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 16:42:17 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 16:42 UTC

On 21/01/2024 11:29, Richard Treen wrote:

> I had a Oneplus 5T that was never easy to see in outside liight.
> On the local beach I couldn't see anything on the display.
> Yet, I could see the display on my daughter's Samsung phone quite
> well. Please can anyone advise me on a relatively inexpensive,
> slightly older than the most recent phones, with a good display?

I note that you've already received a number of suggestions, but I'm
wondering how far you investigated this on the problem phone. I have a
Samsung Galaxy Tab SM-T719 Android 7, so obviously quite old now, and
there are various display options which make quite a difference to how
bright the screen is in various situations, and which I've had to tweak
in the distant past, but not recently so I can't remember what they were
by default. The settings which I list below suit me fine in most
situations, but I can't comment on a beach in bright sunlight.

Under Settings, Display I have:

Brightness A slider which is about two-thirds maximum
Auto brightness On
Screen mode Basic*

* Under current lighting, a single table lamp a couple of meters away in
the gloom of a Scottish rain-washed dusk, of the different options only
'Reading mode' is significantly different, and dimmer, compared to
'Basic', but vague memory suggests that originally it was on different
setting, probably 'Adaptive display'.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<hkkqqitdo8q3sq4m3eiabh3v20sc2574g5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5890&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5890

From: treenoakio@home.com (Richard Treen)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:25:37 +0000
 by: Richard Treen - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 17:25 UTC

On Sun, 21 Jan 2024 16:42:17 +0000, Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid>
wrote:

>On 21/01/2024 11:29, Richard Treen wrote:
>>
>> I had a Oneplus 5T that was never easy to see in outside liight.
>> On the local beach I couldn't see anything on the display.
>> Yet, I could see the display on my daughter's Samsung phone quite
>> well. Please can anyone advise me on a relatively inexpensive,
>> slightly older than the most recent phones, with a good display?
>
>I note that you've already received a number of suggestions, but I'm
>wondering how far you investigated this on the problem phone. I have a
>Samsung Galaxy Tab SM-T719 Android 7, so obviously quite old now, and
>there are various display options which make quite a difference to how
>bright the screen is in various situations, and which I've had to tweak
>in the distant past, but not recently so I can't remember what they were
>by default. The settings which I list below suit me fine in most
>situations, but I can't comment on a beach in bright sunlight.
>
>Under Settings, Display I have:
>
> Brightness A slider which is about two-thirds maximum
> Auto brightness On
> Screen mode Basic*
>
>* Under current lighting, a single table lamp a couple of meters away in
>the gloom of a Scottish rain-washed dusk, of the different options only
>'Reading mode' is significantly different, and dimmer, compared to
>'Basic', but vague memory suggests that originally it was on different
>setting, probably 'Adaptive display'.

Thanks. I've had the OnePlus 5T phone for a few years now and have
been through all the options you suggest.
The phone is now dead and I'm looking not to find myself in a similar
position with the display quality of the next one.
--

Ric_Treen

Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<uok6il$d3jc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5891&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5891

From: david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid (David Woolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2024 22:41:25 +0000
 by: David Woolley - Sun, 21 Jan 2024 22:41 UTC

On 21/01/2024 16:42, Java Jive wrote:
>     Brightness       A slider which is about two-thirds maximum
>     Auto brightness  On
>     Screen mode      Basic*
Samsung Android sliders set the absolute current level, not that
relative to the ambient lighting. Two thirds is rather high if the
ambient level is a table light. If you need that for a table light you
will maxxed out long before you get to bright sunlight.
On the phones I've used backlit displays have intrinsically less
brightness at maximum than active emitters, like OLED.
The SM-T719 has an OLED (AMOLED) display.

Re: Phone with good display for user with failing sight

<uoljmb$n4or$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5893&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5893

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:31:22 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:31 UTC

On 21/01/2024 22:41, David Woolley wrote:

> On 21/01/2024 16:42, Java Jive wrote:
>>
>>      Brightness       A slider which is about two-thirds maximum
>>      Auto brightness  On
>>      Screen mode      Basic*
>
> Samsung Android sliders set the absolute current level, not that
> relative to the ambient lighting.  Two thirds is rather high  if the
> ambient level is a table light.  If you need that for a table light you
> will maxxed out long before you get to bright sunlight.

All I can say is that I find the settings I have work for me, but that's
not to say that I won't have to change them if I leave my normal use
environment.

> On the phones I've used backlit displays have intrinsically less
> brightness at maximum than active emitters, like OLED.
>
> The SM-T719 has an OLED (AMOLED) display.

Yes. It's a good display.

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk