From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Switching to 3G only (or 2G even)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:10:09 +0000
 by: Richmond - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 22:10 UTC

I have discovered that switching to '3G only' gives me a much better
signal. I think I knew this some time in the past and forgot about it,
but it occured to me just now when I was looking at an old Nokia on O2
and it was showing 4/4 signal, whereas my fancy new smart phone shows
1/4. But is it worth setting it to 3G only? shouldn't it switch to 3G
automatically if it has a weak signal? I've noticed the signal can go up
when making a call on 4G but I am not sure what happens on incoming
calls. Bard tells me the network operator might prefer me to use a weak
4G than a stronger 3G.

Re: Switching to 3G only (or 2G even)

<l2092gF5tjcU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5946&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5946

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Switching to 3G only (or 2G even)
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 01:05:22 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 01:05 UTC

Richmond wrote:

> I have discovered that switching to '3G only' gives me a much better
> signal.

Enjoy that 3G while it lasts ...

Re: Switching to 3G only (or 2G even)

<upfqcm$20q6o$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5947&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5947

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:05:10 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 10:05 UTC

Am 31/01/2024 um 22:10 schrieb Richmond:
> I have discovered that switching to '3G only' gives me a much better
> signal. I think I knew this some time in the past and forgot about it,
> but it occured to me just now when I was looking at an old Nokia on O2
> and it was showing 4/4 signal, whereas my fancy new smart phone shows
> 1/4. But is it worth setting it to 3G only? shouldn't it switch to 3G
> automatically if it has a weak signal? I've noticed the signal can go up
> when making a call on 4G but I am not sure what happens on incoming
> calls. Bard tells me the network operator might prefer me to use a weak
> 4G than a stronger 3G.

There's a thread of mine of a few weeks ago on this topic. Sometimes I
need to switch to 2G to be able to make calls.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Switching to 3G only (or 2G even)

<861q9wtg02.fsf@example.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5949&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5949

From: dnomhcir@gmx.com (Richmond)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 14:29:17 +0000
 by: Richmond - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 14:29 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> writes:

> Am 31/01/2024 um 22:10 schrieb Richmond: > I have discovered that
>switching to '3G only' gives me a much better > signal. I think I knew
>this some time in the past and forgot about it, > but it occured to me
>just now when I was looking at an old Nokia on O2 > and it was showing
>4/4 signal, whereas my fancy new smart phone shows > 1/4. But is it
>worth setting it to 3G only? shouldn't it switch to 3G > automatically
>if it has a weak signal? I've noticed the signal can go up > when
>making a call on 4G but I am not sure what happens on incoming >
>calls. Bard tells me the network operator might prefer me to use a weak
>> 4G than a stronger 3G.
>
> There's a thread of mine of a few weeks ago on this topic. Sometimes I
> need to switch to 2G to be able to make calls.

OK I went back and read the thread. Ironically ASDA/Vodafone is the only
thing that does work for me. My problem is with O2 and with incoming
calls, although I may have made matters worse by having spam protection,
it's hard to tell. The signal strength occasionally disappears from O2,
and occasionally I will get a balance notice which is my only clue that
a call went straight to voicemail.

I had a call on 2G+EDGE this afternoon and it sounded fine, so as long
as I don't need to use data I think I will leave it on 2G. If I need to
use data I am probably outside and can put on 4G again.

Re: Switching to 3G only (or 2G even)

<23dce48d-ef5f-42ac-bc39-87cb80c58a91n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5957&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5957

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 11:11:53 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:11 UTC

On Thursday 1 February 2024 at 14:29:21 UTC, Richmond wrote:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > Am 31/01/2024 um 22:10 schrieb Richmond: > I have discovered that
> >switching to '3G only' gives me a much better > signal. I think I knew
> >this some time in the past and forgot about it, > but it occured to me
> >just now when I was looking at an old Nokia on O2 > and it was showing
> >4/4 signal, whereas my fancy new smart phone shows > 1/4. But is it
> >worth setting it to 3G only? shouldn't it switch to 3G > automatically
> >if it has a weak signal? I've noticed the signal can go up > when
> >making a call on 4G but I am not sure what happens on incoming >
> >calls. Bard tells me the network operator might prefer me to use a weak
> >> 4G than a stronger 3G.
> >
> > There's a thread of mine of a few weeks ago on this topic. Sometimes I
> > need to switch to 2G to be able to make calls.
>
> OK I went back and read the thread. Ironically ASDA/Vodafone is the only
> thing that does work for me. My problem is with O2 and with incoming
> calls, although I may have made matters worse by having spam protection,
> it's hard to tell. The signal strength occasionally disappears from O2,
> and occasionally I will get a balance notice which is my only clue that
> a call went straight to voicemail.
>
> I had a call on 2G+EDGE this afternoon and it sounded fine, so as long
> as I don't need to use data I think I will leave it on 2G. If I need to
> use data I am probably outside and can put on 4G again.

In 3/4/5G calls are just a data connection and treated as such. in 2G Edge is irrelevant for calling as the main purpose of 2G was [digital] calls and passing data (Edge, Gprs, Edge, Hsdpa, Hspa+) are all essentially add one passing data over voice channels.

Re: Switching to 3G only (or 2G even)

<upm47k$38ogd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=5958&group=uk.telecom.mobile#5958

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:29:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Z3Fp0gsT4xKIwVOqpzyl5WXxUoU=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 19:29 UTC

notya...@gmail.com <notyalckram@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 1 February 2024 at 14:29:21 UTC, Richmond wrote:
>> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006...@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> Am 31/01/2024 um 22:10 schrieb Richmond: > I have discovered that
>>> switching to '3G only' gives me a much better > signal. I think I knew
>>> this some time in the past and forgot about it, > but it occured to me
>>> just now when I was looking at an old Nokia on O2 > and it was showing
>>> 4/4 signal, whereas my fancy new smart phone shows > 1/4. But is it
>>> worth setting it to 3G only? shouldn't it switch to 3G > automatically
>>> if it has a weak signal? I've noticed the signal can go up > when
>>> making a call on 4G but I am not sure what happens on incoming >
>>> calls. Bard tells me the network operator might prefer me to use a weak
>>>
>>> There's a thread of mine of a few weeks ago on this topic. Sometimes I
>>> need to switch to 2G to be able to make calls.
>>
>> OK I went back and read the thread. Ironically ASDA/Vodafone is the only
>> thing that does work for me. My problem is with O2 and with incoming
>> calls, although I may have made matters worse by having spam protection,
>> it's hard to tell. The signal strength occasionally disappears from O2,
>> and occasionally I will get a balance notice which is my only clue that
>> a call went straight to voicemail.
>>
>> I had a call on 2G+EDGE this afternoon and it sounded fine, so as long
>> as I don't need to use data I think I will leave it on 2G. If I need to
>> use data I am probably outside and can put on 4G again.
>
> In 3/4/5G calls are just a data connection and treated as such. in 2G
> Edge is irrelevant for calling as the main purpose of 2G was [digital]
> calls and passing data (Edge, Gprs, Edge, Hsdpa, Hspa+) are all
> essentially add one passing data over voice channels.

No, 3G is still a circuit switched connection.