"Never face facts; if you do, you'll never get up in the morning." -- Marlo Thomas

aus+uk / uk.telecom.mobile / Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?

SubjectAuthor
* Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?Ottavio Caruso
`* Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)Tweed
 +- Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)Woody
 `* Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)Ottavio Caruso
  `* Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)Roger
   +* Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)Woody
   |`* Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)Roger
   | `- Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)BrightsideS9
   `- Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)Ottavio Caruso

1
Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?

<urq7gj$lqoe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6090&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6090

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute
tools)?
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:22:59 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 15:22 UTC

I had a surreal day today, having to make 6 calls to Asda Mobile,
trying, in vain, to report that the call quality was rubbish. 4 of out 6
operators didn't even understand the problem. The 5th told me that I had
to "perform a simple operation" to improve the quality of the call, only
that in 20 minutes, she couldn't tell me what this simple operation was.

Then I had the brilliant idea to go in the mobile network settings, and
manually select "Vodafone 4G" as my provider, instead of "automatic".

Et voila, problem solved, at least temporarily. So I rang ASDA again,
this time to be answered by somebody with a relatively normal IQ, and he
basically told me (I recorded the call) that the fault is with my phone.
So I asked, "why"? And he said that my phone, a Huawei Y5 2019, is "too
old" and "doesn't support 4g". So, I replied, it actually supports 4G.
So the operator replied that yes, it does support 4G, but support is
shaky because the phone hasn't released updates for 2 years and, literal
quotation, "this is Huawei tactics to push you to buy a new phone".

Uh? Hello? So why did I have 4G until a month ago and now basically the
phone only works on 2G?

I am tempted to call that massive bullshit, but I'd like to know the
panel's opinion.

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?

<urq9pn$mf81$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6091&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6091

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish
and absolute tools)?
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:01:59 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:NnlCwEjj9+IBOPvjz9UzI9aOXWg=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 16:01 UTC

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I had a surreal day today, having to make 6 calls to Asda Mobile,
> trying, in vain, to report that the call quality was rubbish. 4 of out 6
> operators didn't even understand the problem. The 5th told me that I had
> to "perform a simple operation" to improve the quality of the call, only
> that in 20 minutes, she couldn't tell me what this simple operation was.
>
> Then I had the brilliant idea to go in the mobile network settings, and
> manually select "Vodafone 4G" as my provider, instead of "automatic".
>
> Et voila, problem solved, at least temporarily. So I rang ASDA again,
> this time to be answered by somebody with a relatively normal IQ, and he
> basically told me (I recorded the call) that the fault is with my phone.
> So I asked, "why"? And he said that my phone, a Huawei Y5 2019, is "too
> old" and "doesn't support 4g". So, I replied, it actually supports 4G.
> So the operator replied that yes, it does support 4G, but support is
> shaky because the phone hasn't released updates for 2 years and, literal
> quotation, "this is Huawei tactics to push you to buy a new phone".
>
> Uh? Hello? So why did I have 4G until a month ago and now basically the
> phone only works on 2G?
>
> I am tempted to call that massive bullshit, but I'd like to know the
> panel's opinion.

What you have been told is wrong. What I suspect has happened is you’ve
been hit by the turn off of 3G. A phone now has the choice of supporting a
voice call via VoLTE (an IP based method akin to VOIP) on 4G or falling
back to 2G. 2G has limited capacity for decent quality voice. 3G was
better. Some virtual networks have struggled to implement VoLTE. I can’t
explain why manually switching to Vodafone (which is Asda’s carrier) has
cured your problem, but seemingly it has. If your phone has VoLTE settings
it might be worth checking they are enabled. Vodafone has been quite busy
over the last month or so turning 3G off. Just my theory - I may be wrong…

Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?

<urqh20$nuod$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6095&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6095

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and
absolute tools)?
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:05:51 +0000
 by: Woody - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 18:05 UTC

On Thu 29/02/2024 16:01, Tweed wrote:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I had a surreal day today, having to make 6 calls to Asda Mobile,
>> trying, in vain, to report that the call quality was rubbish. 4 of out 6
>> operators didn't even understand the problem. The 5th told me that I had
>> to "perform a simple operation" to improve the quality of the call, only
>> that in 20 minutes, she couldn't tell me what this simple operation was.
>>
>> Then I had the brilliant idea to go in the mobile network settings, and
>> manually select "Vodafone 4G" as my provider, instead of "automatic".
>>
>> Et voila, problem solved, at least temporarily. So I rang ASDA again,
>> this time to be answered by somebody with a relatively normal IQ, and he
>> basically told me (I recorded the call) that the fault is with my phone.
>> So I asked, "why"? And he said that my phone, a Huawei Y5 2019, is "too
>> old" and "doesn't support 4g". So, I replied, it actually supports 4G.
>> So the operator replied that yes, it does support 4G, but support is
>> shaky because the phone hasn't released updates for 2 years and, literal
>> quotation, "this is Huawei tactics to push you to buy a new phone".
>>
>> Uh? Hello? So why did I have 4G until a month ago and now basically the
>> phone only works on 2G?
>>
>> I am tempted to call that massive bullshit, but I'd like to know the
>> panel's opinion.
>>

> What you have been told is wrong. What I suspect has happened is you’ve
> been hit by the turn off of 3G. A phone now has the choice of supporting a
> voice call via VoLTE (an IP based method akin to VOIP) on 4G or falling
> back to 2G. 2G has limited capacity for decent quality voice. 3G was
> better. Some virtual networks have struggled to implement VoLTE. I can’t
> explain why manually switching to Vodafone (which is Asda’s carrier) has
> cured your problem, but seemingly it has. If your phone has VoLTE settings
> it might be worth checking they are enabled. Vodafone has been quite busy
> over the last month or so turning 3G off. Just my theory - I may be wrong…

I have a Huawei P8Lite (2017) which has 4G and works a treat albeit some
software is limited by it being only Android 8!

Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?

<urqoii$pf2s$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6096&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6096

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
absolute tools)?
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:14:10 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:14 UTC

Am 29/02/2024 um 16:01 schrieb Tweed:
> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I had a surreal day today, having to make 6 calls to Asda Mobile,
>> trying, in vain, to report that the call quality was rubbish. 4 of out 6
>> operators didn't even understand the problem. The 5th told me that I had
>> to "perform a simple operation" to improve the quality of the call, only
>> that in 20 minutes, she couldn't tell me what this simple operation was.
>>
>> Then I had the brilliant idea to go in the mobile network settings, and
>> manually select "Vodafone 4G" as my provider, instead of "automatic".
>>
>> Et voila, problem solved, at least temporarily. So I rang ASDA again,
>> this time to be answered by somebody with a relatively normal IQ, and he
>> basically told me (I recorded the call) that the fault is with my phone.
>> So I asked, "why"? And he said that my phone, a Huawei Y5 2019, is "too
>> old" and "doesn't support 4g". So, I replied, it actually supports 4G.
>> So the operator replied that yes, it does support 4G, but support is
>> shaky because the phone hasn't released updates for 2 years and, literal
>> quotation, "this is Huawei tactics to push you to buy a new phone".
>>
>> Uh? Hello? So why did I have 4G until a month ago and now basically the
>> phone only works on 2G?
>>
>> I am tempted to call that massive bullshit, but I'd like to know the
>> panel's opinion.
>>

> What you have been told is wrong. What I suspect has happened is you’ve
> been hit by the turn off of 3G. A phone now has the choice of supporting a
> voice call via VoLTE (an IP based method akin to VOIP) on 4G or falling
> back to 2G. 2G has limited capacity for decent quality voice. 3G was
> better. Some virtual networks have struggled to implement VoLTE. I can’t
> explain why manually switching to Vodafone (which is Asda’s carrier) has
> cured your problem, but seemingly it has. If your phone has VoLTE settings
> it might be worth checking they are enabled. Vodafone has been quite busy
> over the last month or so turning 3G off. Just my theory - I may be wrong…

My phone's manual claims that it is possible to implement VoLTE only if
the network supports it, but this setting definitely doesn't show up on
my phone.

Weird thing now: even after manually selecting Vodafone or any other
provider, if I go into Setting > System > About My Phone > Status >
Network, it shows:

Network: Asda Mobile
Mobile Connection: 4G

???

So, my phone thinks I am on Asda Mobile and using 4G. Or am I?

Is there a 3rd party Android app that can check this for me?

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?

<fe06ui5sa206305umumno09aav92lr0lf4@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6132&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6132

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2024 10:52:57 +0000
 by: Roger - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 10:52 UTC

On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:14:10 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
<ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Am 29/02/2024 um 16:01 schrieb Tweed:
>> Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I had a surreal day today, having to make 6 calls to Asda Mobile,
>>> trying, in vain, to report that the call quality was rubbish. 4 of out 6
>>> operators didn't even understand the problem. The 5th told me that I had
>>> to "perform a simple operation" to improve the quality of the call, only
>>> that in 20 minutes, she couldn't tell me what this simple operation was.
>>>
>>> Then I had the brilliant idea to go in the mobile network settings, and
>>> manually select "Vodafone 4G" as my provider, instead of "automatic".
>>>
>>> Et voila, problem solved, at least temporarily. So I rang ASDA again,
>>> this time to be answered by somebody with a relatively normal IQ, and he
>>> basically told me (I recorded the call) that the fault is with my phone.
>>> So I asked, "why"? And he said that my phone, a Huawei Y5 2019, is "too
>>> old" and "doesn't support 4g". So, I replied, it actually supports 4G.
>>> So the operator replied that yes, it does support 4G, but support is
>>> shaky because the phone hasn't released updates for 2 years and, literal
>>> quotation, "this is Huawei tactics to push you to buy a new phone".
>>>
>>> Uh? Hello? So why did I have 4G until a month ago and now basically the
>>> phone only works on 2G?
>>>
>>> I am tempted to call that massive bullshit, but I'd like to know the
>>> panel's opinion.
>>>

>> What you have been told is wrong. What I suspect has happened is you’ve
>> been hit by the turn off of 3G. A phone now has the choice of supporting a
>> voice call via VoLTE (an IP based method akin to VOIP) on 4G or falling
>> back to 2G. 2G has limited capacity for decent quality voice. 3G was
>> better. Some virtual networks have struggled to implement VoLTE. I can’t
>> explain why manually switching to Vodafone (which is Asda’s carrier) has
>> cured your problem, but seemingly it has. If your phone has VoLTE settings
>> it might be worth checking they are enabled. Vodafone has been quite busy
>> over the last month or so turning 3G off. Just my theory - I may be wrong…
>>

>My phone's manual claims that it is possible to implement VoLTE only if
>the network supports it, but this setting definitely doesn't show up on
>my phone.

My experience with a Pixel 6a.

With a Vodafone PAYG SIM both VoLTE and VoWiFi are available
immediately.

With a Lebara SIM neither is available. It was after many months
of waiting that I decided to try ASDA Mobile.

I have been using ASDA for a year now, VoLTE was available
immediately but not VoWiFi. I think that is was after the
December 2023 Android update that VoWiFi starting working.

If you can understand how three SIMs all using the Vodafone
infrastructure can behave differently you are cleverer than me.
--
Roger

Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?

<urva59$1t4f0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6134&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6134

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
absolute tools)?
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 13:38:47 +0000
 by: Woody - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 13:38 UTC

On Sat 02/03/2024 10:52, Roger wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:14:10 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
> <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> What you have been told is wrong. What I suspect has happened is you’ve
>>> been hit by the turn off of 3G. A phone now has the choice of supporting a
>>> voice call via VoLTE (an IP based method akin to VOIP) on 4G or falling
>>> back to 2G. 2G has limited capacity for decent quality voice. 3G was
>>> better. Some virtual networks have struggled to implement VoLTE. I can’t
>>> explain why manually switching to Vodafone (which is Asda’s carrier) has
>>> cured your problem, but seemingly it has. If your phone has VoLTE settings
>>> it might be worth checking they are enabled. Vodafone has been quite busy
>>> over the last month or so turning 3G off. Just my theory - I may be wrong…
>>>

>> My phone's manual claims that it is possible to implement VoLTE only if
>> the network supports it, but this setting definitely doesn't show up on
>> my phone.
>
> My experience with a Pixel 6a.
>
> With a Vodafone PAYG SIM both VoLTE and VoWiFi are available
> immediately.
>
> With a Lebara SIM neither is available. It was after many months
> of waiting that I decided to try ASDA Mobile.
>
> I have been using ASDA for a year now, VoLTE was available
> immediately but not VoWiFi. I think that is was after the
> December 2023 Android update that VoWiFi starting working.
>
> If you can understand how three SIMs all using the Vodafone
> infrastructure can behave differently you are cleverer than me.

Because the service provider can steer the facilities on your phone
through the SIM basic programming. The fact that the infrastructure can
handle VoLTE doesn't mean Lebara have to authorise its use.

Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?

<urvc63$1tj4n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6136&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6136

From: ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com (Ottavio Caruso)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
absolute tools)?
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:13:22 +0000
 by: Ottavio Caruso - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 14:13 UTC

Am 02/03/2024 um 10:52 schrieb Roger:
> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:14:10 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
> <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> What you have been told is wrong. What I suspect has happened is you’ve
>>> been hit by the turn off of 3G. A phone now has the choice of supporting a
>>> voice call via VoLTE (an IP based method akin to VOIP) on 4G or falling
>>> back to 2G. 2G has limited capacity for decent quality voice. 3G was
>>> better. Some virtual networks have struggled to implement VoLTE. I can’t
>>> explain why manually switching to Vodafone (which is Asda’s carrier) has
>>> cured your problem, but seemingly it has. If your phone has VoLTE settings
>>> it might be worth checking they are enabled. Vodafone has been quite busy
>>> over the last month or so turning 3G off. Just my theory - I may be wrong…
>>>

>> My phone's manual claims that it is possible to implement VoLTE only if
>> the network supports it, but this setting definitely doesn't show up on
>> my phone.
>
> My experience with a Pixel 6a.
>
> With a Vodafone PAYG SIM both VoLTE and VoWiFi are available
> immediately.
>
> With a Lebara SIM neither is available. It was after many months
> of waiting that I decided to try ASDA Mobile.
>
> I have been using ASDA for a year now, VoLTE was available
> immediately but not VoWiFi. I think that is was after the
> December 2023 Android update that VoWiFi starting working.
>
> If you can understand how three SIMs all using the Vodafone
> infrastructure can behave differently you are cleverer than me.

I've just ditched Asda for Spusu, fingers crossed!

--
Ottavio Caruso

Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?

<1jf8ui5l6iijk0i4qdep62juvup7ogbcpo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6142&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6142

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 09:29:01 +0000
 by: Roger - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 09:29 UTC

On Sat, 2 Mar 2024 13:38:47 +0000, Woody
<harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Sat 02/03/2024 10:52, Roger wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Feb 2024 20:14:10 +0000, Ottavio Caruso
>> <ottavio2006-usenet2012@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> My phone's manual claims that it is possible to implement VoLTE only if
>>> the network supports it, but this setting definitely doesn't show up on
>>> my phone.
>>
>> My experience with a Pixel 6a.
>>
>> With a Vodafone PAYG SIM both VoLTE and VoWiFi are available
>> immediately.
>>
>> With a Lebara SIM neither is available. It was after many months
>> of waiting that I decided to try ASDA Mobile.
>>
>> I have been using ASDA for a year now, VoLTE was available
>> immediately but not VoWiFi. I think that is was after the
>> December 2023 Android update that VoWiFi starting working.
>>
>> If you can understand how three SIMs all using the Vodafone
>> infrastructure can behave differently you are cleverer than me.
>
>Because the service provider can steer the facilities on your phone
>through the SIM basic programming. The fact that the infrastructure can
>handle VoLTE doesn't mean Lebara have to authorise its use.

I was using Lebara in June 2022 when I received an SMS
telling me that my SIM had been enabled for VoLTE and VoWiFi.
Unfortunately neither showed up on my Pixel. Putting my SIM
into a friend's Samsung showed that both were available. As
far as I know the Pixel / Lebara incompatibility has still
not been resolved.

To be prepared for Vodafone's 3G switch off I moved over to
ASDA in March 2023. As I wrote earlier VoLTE was available
immediately.
--
Roger

Re: Are ASDA Mobile telling porkies (on top of being rubbish and absolute tools)?

<fej8uipispq8mc53efg56mqm1mmhejmpfa@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6143&group=uk.telecom.mobile#6143

From: reply_to_address_is_not@invalid.invalid (BrightsideS9)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2024 10:32:54 +0000
 by: BrightsideS9 - Sun, 3 Mar 2024 10:32 UTC

On Sun, 03 Mar 2024 09:29:01 +0000, Roger <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

[snip]

>I was using Lebara in June 2022 when I received an SMS
>telling me that my SIM had been enabled for VoLTE and VoWiFi.
>Unfortunately neither showed up on my Pixel. Putting my SIM
>into a friend's Samsung showed that both were available. As
>far as I know the Pixel / Lebara incompatibility has still
>not been resolved.
>
>To be prepared for Vodafone's 3G switch off I moved over to
>ASDA in March 2023. As I wrote earlier VoLTE was available
>immediately.

Ditto with Oppo A5. And Lebara gave me a load of b******t as to why
they didn't fix it.

I decided it was time to upgrade phone to a 5G model.
I moved to Talk Mobile because my experience with Lebara and download
speeds was not satisfactory.

Talk mobile contract says:
"Data Speed
As fast as your device will allow (talkmobile.co.uk/network)"

Currently special offer of 30GB, unlimited UK minutes and UK texts for
£7.95 / month, (tethering included, it says)..

--
brightdide S9