Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? -- Indiana Jones, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Digital Phone line

SubjectAuthor
* Digital Phone lineRayG
+- Re: Digital Phone lineNick Finnigan
+- Re: Digital Phone lineAndy Burns
+- Re: Digital Phone lineTheo
`* Re: Digital Phone lineRayG
 `* Re: Digital Phone lineRayG
  `* Re: Digital Phone lineGraham J
   +* Re: Digital Phone lineRayG
   |`- Re: Digital Phone lineGraham J
   +- Re: Digital Phone lineChris Green
   `* Re: Digital Phone lineAndy Burns
    `* Re: Digital Phone lineMark Carver
     `* Re: Digital Phone lineGraham J
      `* Re: Digital Phone lineWoody
       `- Re: Digital Phone lineGraham J

1
Digital Phone line

<uk53eh$b8nt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6258&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6258

From: rgsub1@btinternet.com (RayG)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Digital Phone line
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:10:55 +0000
 by: RayG - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:10 UTC

Hi,

Having been switched to digital whilst I still have to 100% confirm that the
following is true but wondered if anyone else has seen this.

If I make or receive a call if something else (like e-mail) accesses the
internet it appears to cause the call to fail. Either speech in one direction is
lost or the whole call drops.

I would have suspected that QoS would have played a part in this (if it is
required) to keep the call packets going above all other traffic.

Thoughts?

Thanks

--
Regards

RayG

Re: Digital Phone line

<uk54ii$bf92$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6259&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6259

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Digital Phone line
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:30:13 +0000
 by: Nick Finnigan - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:30 UTC

On 28/11/2023 16:10, RayG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having been switched to digital whilst I still have to 100% confirm that
> the following is true but wondered if anyone else has seen this.
>
> If I make or receive a call if something else (like e-mail) accesses the
> internet it appears to cause the call to fail. Either speech in one
> direction is lost or the whole call drops.
>
> I would have suspected that QoS would have played a part in this (if it is
> required) to keep the call packets going above all other traffic.
>
> Thoughts?

I have BT digital voice, am permanently accessing the internet during the
day, and have never had calls fail.

Re: Digital Phone line

<ksmj1aFr4aqU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6260&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6260

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:32:41 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 16:32 UTC

RayG wrote:

> Having been switched to digital

who is/are your broadband and voice provider(s)?

assuming you're still using your same analogue phone, what does it plug
into now?

Re: Digital Phone line

<oXx*i-ywz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6264&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6264

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 28 Nov 2023 19:27:30 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Tue, 28 Nov 2023 19:27 UTC

RayG <rgsub1@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having been switched to digital whilst I still have to 100% confirm that
> the following is true but wondered if anyone else has seen this.
>
> If I make or receive a call if something else (like e-mail) accesses the
> internet it appears to cause the call to fail. Either speech in one
> direction is lost or the whole call drops.
>
> I would have suspected that QoS would have played a part in this (if it is
> required) to keep the call packets going above all other traffic.

The router should do QoS, yes, although it only really matters if the
connection is congested. VOIP can work down to only slightly better than
dialup modem speeds, so it doesn't need a lot of bandwidth.

Questions:
1. What up/down broadband speeds do you get?
2. Are you using the ISP provided router or some other arrangement?
3. Was the link busy when you were making phone calls, eg
downloading/uploading something large?

Theo

Re: Digital Phone line

<ukd4fc$1uqub$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6290&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6290

From: rgsub1@btinternet.com (RayG)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2023 17:17:32 +0000
 by: RayG - Fri, 1 Dec 2023 17:17 UTC

On 28/11/2023 16:10, RayG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Having been switched to digital whilst I still have to 100% confirm that the
> following is true but wondered if anyone else has seen this.
>
> If I make or receive a call if something else (like e-mail) accesses the
> internet it appears to cause the call to fail. Either speech in one direction is
> lost or the whole call drops.
>
> I would have suspected that QoS would have played a part in this (if it is
> required) to keep the call packets going above all other traffic.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks

Seems like there may be a problem on the wires (I have FTTC) - engineer booked
for tomorrow - we will see.

--
Regards

RayG

Re: Digital Phone line

<ul9te5$3mseb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6370&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6370

From: rgsub1@btinternet.com (RayG)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:15:17 +0000
 by: RayG - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:15 UTC

On 01/12/2023 17:17, RayG wrote:

> Seems like there may be a problem on the wires (I have FTTC) - engineer booked
> for tomorrow - we will see.

Engineer came and found an issue.

It seems that originally when you went to Digital Phone it was OK to leave "the
wires" (somewhere) connected to the exchange, these originally supplied the
landline.

It now seems that this can cause issues with speed/stability of the BB and the
connection was duly removed from wherever.

Net result was:

1). the BB speed has increased slightly.

Downstream sync speed: 72.07 Mbps
Upstream sync speed: 19.15 Mbps

2). the first phone call we made to check dropped outgoing speech after 21 minutes.

So there is still an issue somewhere.

ISP is BT/EE and phone is a Gigaset SL450A GO never had an issue before the
switch to Digital.

It is also possible to register the phone with the HUB but my initial tests
(still need to do more) show that doing this runs down the battery in the phone
if it is off its charging cradle at a great rate of knots.

--
Regards

RayG

Re: Digital Phone line

<ula1hr$3nhoo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6372&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6372

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 16:25:08 +0000
 by: Graham J - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 16:25 UTC

RayG wrote:
> On 01/12/2023 17:17, RayG wrote:
>>
>> Seems like there may be a problem on the wires (I have FTTC) -
>> engineer booked for tomorrow - we will see.
>>

> Engineer came and found an issue.
>
> It seems that originally when you went to Digital Phone it was OK to
> leave "the wires" (somewhere) connected to the exchange, these
> originally supplied the landline.
>
> It now seems that this can cause issues with speed/stability of the BB
> and the connection was duly removed from wherever.
>
> Net result was:
>
> 1). the BB speed has increased slightly.
>
> Downstream sync speed: 72.07 Mbps
>   Upstream sync speed: 19.15 Mbps
>
> 2). the first phone call we made to check dropped outgoing speech after
> 21 minutes.
>
> So there is still an issue somewhere.
>
> ISP is BT/EE and phone is a Gigaset SL450A GO never had an issue before
> the switch to Digital.
>
> It is also possible to register the phone with the HUB but my initial
> tests (still need to do more) show that doing this runs down the battery
> in the phone if it is off its charging cradle at a great rate of knots.

FTTC uses VDSL which is distributed from a nearby green cabinet. It is
marginally more reliable than ADSL simply because the copper pair runs
only to the cabinet. But it potentially suffers from all the same
faults - mixed copper and aluminium wires, bad or corroded joints,
electrical interference from lightning, electric fences, Christmas tree
lights, and the like. Having the copper pair going back from the
cabinet to the exchange may well increase noise problems, so it makes
sens that these were disconnected by the visiting technician.

So your internet connection may drop and reconnect at any time, taking
about a minute to do so. For web browsing and the like you would never
notice.

I assume by "Digital Phone" you mean that it uses VoIP - yes?

Does that mean you have the Gigaset SL450A GO base unit connected by
Ethernet cable to a router? You don't say what model of router.

Alternatively is the Gigaset SL450A GO base unit connected via a
traditional telephone cable to a BT phone socket in the router (perhaps
via an adapter)?

If there is any break or unreliability in the broadband connection the
VoIP service can stop working, and it may take several minutes to reconnect.

However if it "dropped outgoing speech" did it maintain incoming speech?
If so there is something suspicious happening.

Don't understand "register the phone with the HUB". What is this HUB?
Do you mean the phone handset or the base station?

Please connect a computer to your router and find out how long the
broadband connection has been up. You could leave it monitoring for
reliability.

--
Graham J

Re: Digital Phone line

<ula4i3$3o2oi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6373&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6373

From: rgsub1@btinternet.com (RayG)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 17:16:52 +0000
 by: RayG - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 17:16 UTC

On 12/12/2023 16:25, Graham J wrote:
> RayG wrote:
>
> FTTC uses VDSL which is distributed from a nearby green cabinet.  It is
> marginally more reliable than ADSL simply because the copper pair runs only to
> the cabinet.  But it potentially suffers from all the same faults - mixed copper
> and aluminium wires, bad or corroded joints, electrical interference from
> lightning, electric fences, Christmas tree lights, and the like.  Having the
> copper pair going back from the cabinet to the exchange may well increase noise
> problems, so it makes sens that these were disconnected by the visiting technician.
>
> So your internet connection may drop and reconnect at any time, taking about a
> minute to do so.  For web browsing and the like you would never notice.
>
> I assume by "Digital Phone" you mean that it uses VoIP - yes?

I mean landline converted to digital so VOIP yes

> Does that mean you have the Gigaset SL450A GO base unit connected by Ethernet
> cable to a router?  You don't say what model of router.

Is connected to the Green Digital telephone socket on the router(hub) for the phone

It is also connected via an Ethernet cable to the router(hub) to obtain S/W
updates etc.

Router is supplied by EE.

> Alternatively is the Gigaset SL450A GO base unit connected via a traditional
> telephone cable to a BT phone socket in the router (perhaps via an adapter)?

as above

> If there is any break or unreliability in the broadband connection the VoIP
> service can stop working, and it may take several minutes to reconnect.

Possibly monitoring at this time

Network uptime: 1 Day 14 Hrs 31 Mins
System uptime: 1 Day 14 Hrs 33 Mins

So long at the time difference remains at 2 mins its been 100% up.

> However if it "dropped outgoing speech" did it maintain incoming speech?  If so
> there is something suspicious happening.

Incoming speech is maintained

> Don't understand "register the phone with the HUB".  What is this HUB? Do you
> mean the phone handset or the base station?

With a DECT phone you can register to more than one base. HUB = Router = EE's
router You can switch between bases as required.

> Please connect a computer to your router and find out how long the broadband
> connection has been up.  You could leave it monitoring for reliability.

As above.

Page is monitored and checked every 24 hours.

I hope that clarifies things.

--
Regards

RayG

Re: Digital Phone line

<ula6qf$3oe7u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6374&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6374

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 17:55:03 +0000
 by: Graham J - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 17:55 UTC

RayG wrote:

[snip]

>> Does that mean you have the Gigaset SL450A GO base unit connected by
>> Ethernet cable to a router?  You don't say what model of router.
>>

> Is connected to the Green Digital telephone socket on the router(hub)
> for the phone
>
> It is also connected via an Ethernet cable to the router(hub) to obtain
> S/W updates etc.
>
> Router is supplied by EE.

Make and model of router please?

The green phone socket on your router delivers an analog sognal and
nominally 50vdc to a conventional corded phone. The Gigaset SL450A GO
base unit is emulating a conventional phone.

The router contains the VoIP conversion mechanism, and your phone
service provider knows how to send the digital phone call to it. This
is almost certainly a proprietary mechanism.

The only reason you need the Gigaset SL450A GO is to provide the DECT
capability and handset. It is not being used for its VoIP capability.

To test further, disconnect and power off the Gigaset SL450A GO base
unit and its associated handset.

Plug simple corded phone (available for a few quid from Currys or the
like) into the green socket on the router.

Test incoming and outgoing calls using this simple phone. If you ever
lose the connection, or it becomes one-sided: complain to your phone
service provider.

If this does not resolve the problem, you could port your phone number
to a different VoIP provider (Voipfone has been well recommended here).
You then unplug the Gigaset SL450A GO base unit from the green socket on
the router, and configure it with the details provided by your newly
chosen VoIP provider. Leave it plugged into the router using the
Ethernet cable. You should then be able to make and receive phone calls.
Your chosen VoIP provider should be able to diagnose the problem if
calls become one-sided.

--
Graham J

Re: Digital Phone line

<j3lm4k-ja8b1.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6375&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6375

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 18:24:19 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 18:24 UTC

Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:

> So your internet connection may drop and reconnect at any time, taking
> about a minute to do so. For web browsing and the like you would never
> notice.

I'd certainly notice a minute outage when web browsing!

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Digital Phone line

<ktrp6uF88soU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6376&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6376

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 19:04:56 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 19:04 UTC

Graham J wrote:

> FTTC uses VDSL which is distributed from a nearby green cabinet.  It is
> marginally more reliable than ADSL

You always have a downer on VDSL ... for me (and I suspect plenty of
others) it is *fantastically* more reliable than ADSL.

> So your internet connection may drop and reconnect at any time, taking
> about a minute to do so.  For web browsing and the like you would never
> notice.

If you were browsing, or streaming video at the time you'd notice a
minute, but probaby not a few seconds.

> Please connect a computer to your router and find out how long the
> broadband connection has been up.  You could leave it monitoring for
> reliability.

Get the trial version of pingplotter, leave it recording a ping once
every seconds to something "out there" that won't notice a bit of
bandwidth being used.

Re: Digital Phone line

<ktt6m5Fhn66U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6377&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6377

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:01:07 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:01 UTC

On 12/12/2023 19:04, Andy Burns wrote:
> Graham J wrote:
>
>> FTTC uses VDSL which is distributed from a nearby green cabinet.  It
>> is marginally more reliable than ADSL
>
> You always have a downer on VDSL ... for me (and I suspect plenty of
> others) it is *fantastically* more reliable than ADSL.

My experience too. I had 9 years worth of a 1km+ VDSL line at our last
house, it was absolutely fine, and way better than the 5km+ ADSL service
that I endured in the 00s.

At present I've had 3.5 years of an 80 metre VDSL line, (though
touch-wood) a solid 80/20 sync, and real world 70+ download speeds.

I would have had an uptime of 21 months by now, if I hadn't have
switched off the ring main to fit a spur socket last month !

Re: Digital Phone line

<ulbr4j$3b00$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6378&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6378

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:47:55 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:47 UTC

Mark Carver wrote:
> On 12/12/2023 19:04, Andy Burns wrote:
>> Graham J wrote:
>>
>>> FTTC uses VDSL which is distributed from a nearby green cabinet.  It
>>> is marginally more reliable than ADSL
>>
>> You always have a downer on VDSL ... for me (and I suspect plenty of
>> others) it is *fantastically* more reliable than ADSL.
>
> My experience too. I had 9 years worth of a 1km+ VDSL line at our last
> house, it was absolutely fine, and way better than the 5km+ ADSL service
> that I endured in the 00s.
>
> At present I've had 3.5 years of an 80 metre VDSL line, (though
> touch-wood) a solid 80/20 sync, and real world 70+ download speeds.
>
> I would have had an uptime of 21 months by now, if I hadn't have
> switched off the ring main to fit a spur socket last month !

Some people have all the luck!

My ADSL over about 6 km would re-sync about once per day, never at the
same time. Speed was about 2 Mbits/sec down, 800 kbits/sec up.

When upgraded to VDSL to a green cabinet 1.1km away it improved (maybe
marginally is a bit strong - it definitely improved) - it would re-sync
perhaps once every couple of weeks, again without any sort of pattern.
Speed was about 22 Mbits/sec down, 2 Mbits/sec up.

I've had FTTP since 6 March this year. Re-sync of course does not
happen, but the PPPoE connection has dropped and reconnected 3 times
since then, which takes about 4 seconds. Probably this is caused by
something in the Openreach system ... I would never have noticed other
than syslog records it.

--
Graham J

Re: Digital Phone line

<ulca1r$s5qn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6379&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6379

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 13:02:49 +0000
 by: Woody - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 13:02 UTC

On Wed 13/12/2023 08:47, Graham J wrote:
> Mark Carver wrote:

>>> You always have a downer on VDSL ... for me (and I suspect plenty of
>>> others) it is *fantastically* more reliable than ADSL.
>>
>> My experience too. I had 9 years worth of a 1km+ VDSL line at our last
>> house, it was absolutely fine, and way better than the 5km+ ADSL
>> service that I endured in the 00s.
>>
>> At present I've had 3.5 years of an 80 metre VDSL line, (though
>> touch-wood) a solid 80/20 sync, and real world 70+ download speeds.
>>
>> I would have had an uptime of 21 months by now, if I hadn't have
>> switched off the ring main to fit a spur socket last month !
>
> Some people have all the luck!
>
> My ADSL over about 6 km would re-sync about once per day, never at the
> same time.  Speed was about 2 Mbits/sec down, 800 kbits/sec up.
>
> When upgraded to VDSL to a green cabinet 1.1km away it improved (maybe
> marginally is a bit strong - it definitely improved) - it would re-sync
> perhaps once every couple of weeks, again without any sort of pattern.
> Speed was about 22 Mbits/sec down, 2 Mbits/sec up.
>
> I've had FTTP since 6 March this year.  Re-sync of course does not
> happen, but the PPPoE connection has dropped and reconnected 3 times
> since then, which takes about 4 seconds.  Probably this is caused by
> something in the Openreach system ... I would never have noticed other
> than syslog records it.

Get this one. We are caravanners and we often stay at a farm site in
East Somerset. The farm has four landlines which all run from the same
building in the same cable and for the same distance (2908m reportedly),
but one line is rated 6Mb but actually does more like 5.5, one line is
rated 2.5Mb but gets just under that, and the remaining two are rated
1.8Mb of which one does about 1.5 and the other about 1.2 albeit on a
good day - in bad weather either/both can be less than 512kb! BT have
never been able to resolve the poor performance.

The farmer has now abandoned the two slow lines and uses cellular
instead to provide wi-fi for the campers. There is a VF+O2 4G site on a
pylon about 600m west of his farmhouse, and a small 3 tower (15m?) which
carries 3 and EE about 1.1km to the east. Both are line of sight but for
some reason whilst EE does 4G, Three have chosen not to provide 4G on
that site.

There is fibre down the main road at the end of his ¼ mile access road
to feed the next village. He asked his BT salesperson if they could have
fibre and if it was going to be difficult if BT supplied the kit
(underground pipe and fibre tube) he and his son would happily install
it. BT, surprisingly, agreed and the pipe, a couple of access chambers,
and the fibre tube were duly delivered. Then nothing happened. He
contacted BT who said they had decided they couldn't do it so they
recovered the fibre tube but left everything else!

I wonder what is going to happen when the cable is replaced with fibre??

Re: Digital Phone line

<ulcd1n$siqe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6380&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6380

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 13:53:34 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 13:53 UTC

Woody wrote:

[snip]

> I wonder what is going to happen when the cable is replaced with fibre??

My friend near Holbeach has an analog phone line but it is too long even
for ADSL. He reports:

"We have had extended talks with both Openreach and BT. As a result we
have been assured that there was no chance of connection to any digital
pathway but that our copper line would remain available even after the
general cut off date. "

.... Needless to say, this isn't in writing!

You've posted about this farmer before.

Given his 4 lines, it would be cheaper for him to cancel them all and
get satellite. Recently I saw a system from Starlink: about £300 for
the kit and £75 per month thereafter. This is for a farm, so the
necessary cherrypicker to erect the antenna is no problem.

Ths Starlink router is horrible! LAN is WiFi and you need to buy an
adapter to get a single Ethernet port. Has a DHCP server but no
mechanism to manage it. I suspect Starlink uses CGNAT so as discussed
here it may be worth paying for the L2TP service from A&A in order to
get a static public IPv4 address.

For the voice phone service, he could get Voipfone or similar.

--
Graham J