"It's ten o'clock... Do you know where your AI programs are?" -- Peter Oakley

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Re: Mesh question

SubjectAuthor
* Mesh questionChris Green
+* Re: Mesh questionRupert Moss-Eccardt
|+- Re: Mesh questionNick Finnigan
|`* Re: Mesh questionChris Green
| `* Re: Mesh questionRupert Moss-Eccardt
|  `- Re: Mesh questionChris Green
+* Re: Mesh questionAndy Burns
|`* Re: Mesh questionChris Green
| `* Re: Mesh questionPeter Johnson
|  `* Re: Mesh questionChris Green
|   `* Re: Mesh questionPeter Johnson
|    `- Re: Mesh questionChris Green
+* Re: Mesh questionRoger Barrett
|`* Re: Mesh questionChris Green
| `- Re: Mesh questionTheo
`* Re: Mesh questionnotya...@gmail.com
 `- Re: Mesh questionRupert Moss-Eccardt

1
Mesh question

<oqpr5k-kg16.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6442&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6442

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Mesh question
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:31:52 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 26 Dec 2023 20:31 UTC

I have been looking at using Asus' Aimesh to provide a mesh system
through our large house. I have UTP wiring through much of the house
so it makes sense to use that for wired backhaul.

However...... I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
If so it's going to be pretty useless for me as I spend half my life
connecting from one system to another on my LAN using ssh.

If a mesh system uses multiple subnets it's going to be completely
useless for me.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Mesh question

<kv27mpF8pppU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6447&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6447

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Mesh question
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:05:29 +0000
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:05 UTC

On 26 Dec 2023 20:31, Chris Green wrote:
> I have been looking at using Asus' Aimesh to provide a mesh system
> through our large house. I have UTP wiring through much of the house
> so it makes sense to use that for wired backhaul.
>
> However...... I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
> the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
> If so it's going to be pretty useless for me as I spend half my life
> connecting from one system to another on my LAN using ssh.
>
> If a mesh system uses multiple subnets it's going to be completely
> useless for me.

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but, generally, the devices in
a mesh system talk to each other over a private network but that
doesn't affect the service network.

I had a look at the AImesh pages. I'm not entirely sure what the "AI"
bit brings that the Asus Zen mesh doesn't do. There is mention of
routers which seems to suggest the nodes will be more expensive. Anyone
spot the real differences?

Re: Mesh question

<kv28hvF7do2U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6448&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6448

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:19:52 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:19 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
> the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?

In mesh mode, it *might* re-configure the WAN port to bridging rather
than routing for the wired backhaul?

Re: Mesh question

<umgqv9$3seb5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6449&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6449

From: roger_barrett@yahoo.com (Roger Barrett)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:32:25 +0000
 by: Roger Barrett - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:32 UTC

On 26/12/2023 20:31, Chris Green wrote:
> I have been looking at using Asus' Aimesh to provide a mesh system
> through our large house. I have UTP wiring through much of the house
> so it makes sense to use that for wired backhaul.
>
> However...... I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
> the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
> If so it's going to be pretty useless for me as I spend half my life
> connecting from one system to another on my LAN using ssh.
>
> If a mesh system uses multiple subnets it's going to be completely
> useless for me.

No the WAN port is only really "WAN" when that node is being used as
therouter - otherwise its part of the LAN

Re: Mesh question

<umgrjb$3sfd7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6450&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6450

From: nix@genie.co.uk (Nick Finnigan)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:43:08 +0000
 by: Nick Finnigan - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:43 UTC

On 27/12/2023 09:05, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:
> On 26 Dec 2023 20:31, Chris Green wrote:
>> I have been looking at using Asus' Aimesh to provide a mesh system
>> through our large house. I have UTP wiring through much of the house
>> so it makes sense to use that for wired backhaul.
>>
>> However...... I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
>> the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
>> If so it's going to be pretty useless for me as I spend half my life
>> connecting from one system to another on my LAN using ssh.
>>
>> If a mesh system uses multiple subnets it's going to be completely
>> useless for me.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but, generally, the devices in
> a mesh system talk to each other over a private network but that
> doesn't affect the service network.
>
> I had a look at the AImesh pages. I'm not entirely sure what the "AI"
> bit brings that the Asus Zen mesh doesn't do. There is mention of
> routers which seems to suggest the nodes will be more expensive. Anyone
> spot the real differences?

It looks to be a firmware download which you can put on your existing
Asus router, and then add another router rather than 2 less powerful mesh
nodes.

But, yes, using wired backhaul is not what they expect, and hard to work
out what would happen.

Re: Mesh question

<1k8t5k-vjt8.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6451&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6451

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:50:25 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:50 UTC

Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
> > I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
> > the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
>
> In mesh mode, it *might* re-configure the WAN port to bridging rather
> than routing for the wired backhaul?

Yes, possibly, I guess I'll have to try it. I do have two Asus
routers that support AiMesh.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Mesh question

<ql8t5k-vjt8.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6452&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6452

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:51:22 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:51 UTC

Roger Barrett <roger_barrett@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 26/12/2023 20:31, Chris Green wrote:
> > I have been looking at using Asus' Aimesh to provide a mesh system
> > through our large house. I have UTP wiring through much of the house
> > so it makes sense to use that for wired backhaul.
> >
> > However...... I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
> > the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
> > If so it's going to be pretty useless for me as I spend half my life
> > connecting from one system to another on my LAN using ssh.
> >
> > If a mesh system uses multiple subnets it's going to be completely
> > useless for me.
> >
> No the WAN port is only really "WAN" when that node is being used as
> therouter - otherwise its part of the LAN

OK, but why does it specify that one has to use the WAN port for the
up-connection?

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Mesh question

<0i8t5k-vjt8.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6453&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6453

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:49:20 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:49 UTC

Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
> On 26 Dec 2023 20:31, Chris Green wrote:
> > I have been looking at using Asus' Aimesh to provide a mesh system
> > through our large house. I have UTP wiring through much of the house
> > so it makes sense to use that for wired backhaul.
> >
> > However...... I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
> > the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
> > If so it's going to be pretty useless for me as I spend half my life
> > connecting from one system to another on my LAN using ssh.
> >
> > If a mesh system uses multiple subnets it's going to be completely
> > useless for me.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but, generally, the devices in
> a mesh system talk to each other over a private network but that
> doesn't affect the service network.

Yes, but..... If I have an AiMesh node router (that's one of the
'slave' routers) it's connected to the main/control router via its WAN
port and I don't see then how the other ports on the node router can
be on the same LAN as the main router.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Mesh question

<kv2bshF9jbrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6454&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6454

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:16:48 +0000
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:16 UTC

On 27 Dec 2023 09:49, Chris Green wrote:
> Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
>> On 26 Dec 2023 20:31, Chris Green wrote:
>> > I have been looking at using Asus' Aimesh to provide a mesh system
>> > through our large house. I have UTP wiring through much of the house
>> > so it makes sense to use that for wired backhaul.
>> >
>> > However...... I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
>> > the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
>> > If so it's going to be pretty useless for me as I spend half my life
>> > connecting from one system to another on my LAN using ssh.
>> >
>> > If a mesh system uses multiple subnets it's going to be completely
>> > useless for me.
>>
>> I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but, generally, the devices in
>> a mesh system talk to each other over a private network but that
>> doesn't affect the service network.
>>
> Yes, but..... If I have an AiMesh node router (that's one of the
> 'slave' routers) it's connected to the main/control router via its WAN
> port and I don't see then how the other ports on the node router can
> be on the same LAN as the main router.

You sort of answered it yourself. This is where the word "network"
gets somewhat overused. The physical connection can carry many
"networks". For example, you can have VLANs. They can be, sort of,
separate broadcast domains and therefore also different subnets

Re: Mesh question

<eVh*g6Vyz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6455&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6455

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 27 Dec 2023 10:19:04 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 10:19 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Roger Barrett <roger_barrett@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On 26/12/2023 20:31, Chris Green wrote:
> > > I have been looking at using Asus' Aimesh to provide a mesh system
> > > through our large house. I have UTP wiring through much of the house
> > > so it makes sense to use that for wired backhaul.
> > >
> > > However...... I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
> > > the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
> > > If so it's going to be pretty useless for me as I spend half my life
> > > connecting from one system to another on my LAN using ssh.
> > >
> > > If a mesh system uses multiple subnets it's going to be completely
> > > useless for me.
> > >
> > No the WAN port is only really "WAN" when that node is being used as
> > therouter - otherwise its part of the LAN
>
> OK, but why does it specify that one has to use the WAN port for the
> up-connection?

The WAN and LAN ports are (probably) just two ports on the same switch,
identified by VLAN tags. It is just how they've configured their software:
the WAN port is used for upstream backhaul, be it to your cable/fibre modem
(when being a router) or to your primary router (when bridging ethernet to
wifi). The writing on the ports doesn't matter, the way they are used is
software defined.

Theo

Re: Mesh question

<tgdt5k-sg79.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6458&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6458

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 11:14:05 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 11:14 UTC

Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:
> On 27 Dec 2023 09:49, Chris Green wrote:
> > Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> wrote:

> >> I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but, generally, the devices in
> >> a mesh system talk to each other over a private network but that
> >> doesn't affect the service network.
> >>
> > Yes, but..... If I have an AiMesh node router (that's one of the
> > 'slave' routers) it's connected to the main/control router via its WAN
> > port and I don't see then how the other ports on the node router can
> > be on the same LAN as the main router.
>
> You sort of answered it yourself. This is where the word "network"
> gets somewhat overused. The physical connection can carry many
> "networks". For example, you can have VLANs. They can be, sort of,
> separate broadcast domains and therefore also different subnets

Yes, I have some VLANs floating around already (from my venerable
Draytek 2860n). I'll just have to try the Asus AiMesh set-up I guess
and see whether there's still a single subnet available everywhere.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Mesh question

<gbcooiptmu65njc77jlb8p15ttpd2avrdk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6461&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6461

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:29:17 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:29 UTC

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:50:25 +0000, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
>> Chris Green wrote:
>>
>> > I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
>> > the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
>>
>> In mesh mode, it *might* re-configure the WAN port to bridging rather
>> than routing for the wired backhaul?
>
>Yes, possibly, I guess I'll have to try it. I do have two Asus
>routers that support AiMesh.

I have two Asus routers configured using AiMesh and cable backhaul.
There are no separate sub-nets and the routers have their own
addresses in the 192.168.1.x range (in my case.)

Re: Mesh question

<7h0u5k-4jda.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6462&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6462

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:38:31 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:38 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:50:25 +0000, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> >Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> >> In mesh mode, it *might* re-configure the WAN port to bridging rather
> >> than routing for the wired backhaul?
> >
> >Yes, possibly, I guess I'll have to try it. I do have two Asus
> >routers that support AiMesh.
>
> I have two Asus routers configured using AiMesh and cable backhaul.
> There are no separate sub-nets and the routers have their own
> addresses in the 192.168.1.x range (in my case.)

Ah, OK, thank you, that's good to know. Presumably the 'node' router
is using its 'WAN' socket for the up-connection to the 'master'
router.

As a matter of interest what Asus routers are you using? I'm aiming
to use a DSL-AC68U as my 'main' router (its WAN side being my PlusNet
VDSL) and an RT-AC86U as the node. I may well add another RT-Axxx at
some time to give more complete coverage.

I'm running the Asuswrt-Merlin software in the routers as I'm aiming
to tune the dnsmasq configuration.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Mesh question

<6ccf7c79-ef32-45fc-9274-8af08df0b004n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6463&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6463

Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 14:27:52 -0800 (PST)
From: notyalckram@gmail.com (notya...@gmail.com)
 by: notya...@gmail.com - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 22:27 UTC

On Tuesday 26 December 2023 at 20:38:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
> I have been looking at using Asus' Aimesh to provide a mesh system
> through our large house. I have UTP wiring through much of the house
> so it makes sense to use that for wired backhaul.
>
> However...... I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
> the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
> If so it's going to be pretty useless for me as I spend half my life
> connecting from one system to another on my LAN using ssh.
>
> If a mesh system uses multiple subnets it's going to be completely
> useless for me.
>
> --
> Chris Green
> ·
If you are using wired back hall then you just want simple WAPI's. They all appear to be part of the same network.

Re: Mesh question

<kv3t6nFiokmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6464&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6464

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 00:18:30 +0000
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 00:18 UTC

On 27 Dec 2023 14:27, "notya...@gmail.com" wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 December 2023 at 20:38:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
>> I have been looking at using Asus' Aimesh to provide a mesh system
>> through our large house. I have UTP wiring through much of the house
>> so it makes sense to use that for wired backhaul.
>>
>> However...... I notice that the nodes use their WAN connection for
>> the wired backhaul, does this mean that each one has its own subnet?
>> If so it's going to be pretty useless for me as I spend half my life
>> connecting from one system to another on my LAN using ssh.
>>
>> If a mesh system uses multiple subnets it's going to be completely
>> useless for me.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Green
>> ·
> If you are using wired back hall then you just want simple WAPI's. They all appear to be part of the same network.

You need to choose carefully to get beam forming, steering etc.

Re: Mesh question

<1moqoihh5e91tkuaf89c4hloaggkgurfvn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6465&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6465

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 12:07:42 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 12:07 UTC

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:38:31 +0000, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>> I have two Asus routers configured using AiMesh and cable backhaul.
>> There are no separate sub-nets and the routers have their own
>> addresses in the 192.168.1.x range (in my case.)
>
>Ah, OK, thank you, that's good to know. Presumably the 'node' router
>is using its 'WAN' socket for the up-connection to the 'master'
>router.
>
>As a matter of interest what Asus routers are you using? I'm aiming
>to use a DSL-AC68U as my 'main' router (its WAN side being my PlusNet
>VDSL) and an RT-AC86U as the node. I may well add another RT-Axxx at
>some time to give more complete coverage.

RT-AX86U Pro as master and RT-AX86U as the node. Don't need DSL now
I'm on FTTP. Apart from the Pro having more memory the routers are the
same. I can't see any difference in use. The node's wan port is
connected to the master via two switches.

>I'm running the Asuswrt-Merlin software in the routers as I'm aiming
>to tune the dnsmasq configuration.

I'm using the Asus firmware.

Re: Mesh question

<q5706k-apoe.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6466&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6466

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 12:44:10 +0000
 by: Chris Green - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 12:44 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:38:31 +0000, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>

> >> I have two Asus routers configured using AiMesh and cable backhaul.
> >> There are no separate sub-nets and the routers have their own
> >> addresses in the 192.168.1.x range (in my case.)
> >
> >Ah, OK, thank you, that's good to know. Presumably the 'node' router
> >is using its 'WAN' socket for the up-connection to the 'master'
> >router.
> >
> >As a matter of interest what Asus routers are you using? I'm aiming
> >to use a DSL-AC68U as my 'main' router (its WAN side being my PlusNet
> >VDSL) and an RT-AC86U as the node. I may well add another RT-Axxx at
> >some time to give more complete coverage.
> >

> RT-AX86U Pro as master and RT-AX86U as the node. Don't need DSL now
> I'm on FTTP. Apart from the Pro having more memory the routers are the
> same. I can't see any difference in use. The node's wan port is
> connected to the master via two switches.
>
> >I'm running the Asuswrt-Merlin software in the routers as I'm aiming
> >to tune the dnsmasq configuration.
>
> I'm using the Asus firmware.

Thanks, that sounds quite similar to how mine is going to end up,
except that your routers are a bit newer/flasher than mine. I'll be
configuring the DSL-AC68U to take over from my Draytek 2860n soon,
then the moment of truth when I actually us it for my VDSL connection! :-)

--
Chris Green
·