I selected E5 ... but I didn't hear "Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs"!

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

SubjectAuthor
* BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyJava Jive
+* Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyAndy Burns
|`- Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyWoody
`* Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyChris
 +- Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyWoody
 +* Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyRoger
 |+* Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyAndy Burns
 ||`- Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyWoody
 |`- Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyChris
 +- Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyAbandoned Trolley
 `* Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyClive Page
  +- Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyAbandoned Trolley
  `- Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policyChris

1
BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<uodnhn$347n0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6531&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6531

From: java@evij.com.invalid (Java Jive)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Subject: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 11:48:10 +0000
 by: Java Jive - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 11:48 UTC

BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67994514

"BT is abandoning mid-contract price rises linked to inflation after the
telecoms watchdog Ofcom threatened to ban the practice.

It has been one of several providers to tell customers the cost of their
mobile and broadband services would increase by inflation plus a fixed
percentage.

But the regulator said that was confusing and price rises should be
spelt out in "in pounds and pence."

BT has announced it will introduce that change from summer 2024.

According to a blog post from BT consumer chief Marc Allera, that means
mobile customers will see mid-contract price rises "from £1.50", while
broadband customers will face rises of £3."

--

Fake news kills!

www.macfh.co.uk

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<l0v7o3FsjuvU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6532&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6532

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:20:19 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 12:20 UTC

Java Jive wrote:
> BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67994514
>
> "BT is abandoning mid-contract price rises linked to inflation after the
> telecoms watchdog Ofcom threatened to ban the practice.
They may be expressed in £ and p, but will they be suspiciously close to
inflation + 3.9% ?

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<uods0n$354v8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6533&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6533

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:04:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0gylnZ/YDo9O/TbJrNpgfoYmhPY=
 by: Chris - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:04 UTC

Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
> BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67994514
>
> "BT is abandoning mid-contract price rises linked to inflation after the
> telecoms watchdog Ofcom threatened to ban the practice.
>
> It has been one of several providers to tell customers the cost of their
> mobile and broadband services would increase by inflation plus a fixed
> percentage.

Which contributes to INCREASING inflation. I never understood the point of
the fixed percentage above inflation. It's essentially allowing telcos an
automatic 3.9% minimum annual price rise. The total should be capped.

> But the regulator said that was confusing and price rises should be
> spelt out in "in pounds and pence."
>
> BT has announced it will introduce that change from summer 2024.

Conveniently after the current round of price rises of ~13%

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<uodt6m$35bju$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6534&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6534

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:24:36 +0000
 by: Woody - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:24 UTC

On Fri 19/01/2024 12:20, Andy Burns wrote:
> Java Jive wrote:
>
>> BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67994514
>>
>> "BT is abandoning mid-contract price rises linked to inflation after
>> the telecoms watchdog Ofcom threatened to ban the practice.
>
> They may be expressed in £ and p, but will they be suspiciously close to
> inflation + 3.9% ?

Er, 3.9% plus CPI (or RPI if you use VM.))

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<uoduje$35jt0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6535&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6535

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:48:28 +0000
 by: Woody - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:48 UTC

On Fri 19/01/2024 13:04, Chris wrote:
> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>> BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67994514
>>
>> "BT is abandoning mid-contract price rises linked to inflation after the
>> telecoms watchdog Ofcom threatened to ban the practice.
>>
>> It has been one of several providers to tell customers the cost of their
>> mobile and broadband services would increase by inflation plus a fixed
>> percentage.
>
> Which contributes to INCREASING inflation. I never understood the point of
> the fixed percentage above inflation. It's essentially allowing telcos an
> automatic 3.9% minimum annual price rise. The total should be capped.
>
>> But the regulator said that was confusing and price rises should be
>> spelt out in "in pounds and pence."
>>
>> BT has announced it will introduce that change from summer 2024.
>
> Conveniently after the current round of price rises of ~13%

Hmm, well, possibly not.

Most SPs are using the CPI in February so given it will probably be
around 4% we should expect about 8% (10% for VM) overall?

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<h66lqihih1u2iu4aoi2a7tljhvtmet2lkk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6536&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6536

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!newsreader4.netcologne.de!news.netcologne.de!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.ams4!peer.am4.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!tr2.eu1.usenetexpress.com!feeder.usenetexpress.com!tr1.iad1.usenetexpress.com!69.80.99.23.MISMATCH!Xl.tags.giganews.com!local-2.nntp.ord.giganews.com!nntp.brightview.co.uk!news.brightview.co.uk.POSTED!not-for-mail
From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Roger)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 15:48:45 +0000
 by: Roger - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 15:48 UTC

On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:04:23 -0000 (UTC), Chris
<ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:

>Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>> BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67994514
>>
>> "BT is abandoning mid-contract price rises linked to inflation after the
>> telecoms watchdog Ofcom threatened to ban the practice.
>>
>> It has been one of several providers to tell customers the cost of their
>> mobile and broadband services would increase by inflation plus a fixed
>> percentage.
>
>Which contributes to INCREASING inflation. I never understood the point of
>the fixed percentage above inflation. It's essentially allowing telcos an
>automatic 3.9% minimum annual price rise. The total should be capped.

The advertisements say CPI/RPI + 3.9%. In the unlikely event
that inflation was say -1% then -1 + 3.9 = 2.9%. Any company
which didn't do that would be guilty of false advertising.
--
Roger

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<l0vle4F1fioU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6537&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6537

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:13:56 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:13 UTC

Roger wrote:

> The advertisements say CPI/RPI + 3.9%. In the unlikely event
> that inflation was say -1% then -1 + 3.9 = 2.9%. Any company
> which didn't do that would be guilty of false advertising.

I believe they say if RPI/CPI goes negative, it will be treated as zero.

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<uoe76d$376dl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6538&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6538

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:15:07 +0000
 by: Woody - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 16:15 UTC

On Fri 19/01/2024 16:13, Andy Burns wrote:
> Roger wrote:
>
>> The advertisements say CPI/RPI + 3.9%. In the unlikely event
>> that inflation was say -1% then -1 + 3.9 = 2.9%. Any company
>> which didn't do that would be guilty of false advertising.
>
> I believe they say if RPI/CPI goes negative, it will be treated as zero.

Correct

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<dc36964c-6c07-44f8-ba84-0efd5d49f188@fred-smith.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6540&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6540

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2024 18:11:09 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 18:11 UTC

> Which contributes to INCREASING inflation. I never understood the point of
> the fixed percentage above inflation. It's essentially allowing telcos an
> automatic 3.9% minimum annual price rise. The total should be capped.

Perhaps not in the long term though ... ?

> On 28/06/2023 11:11, Java Jive wrote:
> Mobile and broadband firms accused of fuelling UK ‘greedflation’ with
major price hikes

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/27/mobile-and-broadband-firms-accused-of-fuelling-uk-greedflation-with-major-price-hikes

> "Analysis published by the Guardian today reveals that six companies
controlling most of the telecoms market all charged a 3.9 percentage
point supplement on top of their annual inflation-linked increases this
year."

I have just come to the end of a 2 year contract with TalkTalk and
signed up for another 2 years - and its now £2 a month cheaper than the
last renewal.

This topic periodically comes up for discussion, but my general
impression is that the start prices of broadband contracts for new
customers are not shifting very much in the long term.

If OfCom wanted to do something useful for (broadband AND mobile)
customers they would prevent the direct debits automatically carrying on
at the end of the 2 year contracts.

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<uog5fd$3kfeq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6543&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6543

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2024 09:58:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nEHb5tgBjRt/wtqCmJSKeZHjWps=
 by: Chris - Sat, 20 Jan 2024 09:58 UTC

Roger <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 13:04:23 -0000 (UTC), Chris
> <ithinkiam@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>>> BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67994514
>>>
>>> "BT is abandoning mid-contract price rises linked to inflation after the
>>> telecoms watchdog Ofcom threatened to ban the practice.
>>>
>>> It has been one of several providers to tell customers the cost of their
>>> mobile and broadband services would increase by inflation plus a fixed
>>> percentage.
>>
>> Which contributes to INCREASING inflation. I never understood the point of
>> the fixed percentage above inflation. It's essentially allowing telcos an
>> automatic 3.9% minimum annual price rise. The total should be capped.
>
> The advertisements say CPI/RPI + 3.9%. In the unlikely event
> that inflation was say -1% then -1 + 3.9 = 2.9%. Any company
> which didn't do that would be guilty of false advertising.

Not sure how that changes anything?

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<l1719tFdqn1U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6545&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6545

From: usenet@page2.eu (Clive Page)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:19:25 +0000
 by: Clive Page - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 11:19 UTC

On 19/01/2024 13:04, Chris wrote:
> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>> BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67994514
>>
>> "BT is abandoning mid-contract price rises linked to inflation after the
>> telecoms watchdog Ofcom threatened to ban the practice.
>>
>> It has been one of several providers to tell customers the cost of their
>> mobile and broadband services would increase by inflation plus a fixed
>> percentage.
>
> Which contributes to INCREASING inflation. I never understood the point of
> the fixed percentage above inflation. It's essentially allowing telcos an
> automatic 3.9% minimum annual price rise. The total should be capped.

But the Government have been doing very much the same with rail fares for many years, setting everyone a bad example.

--
Clive Page

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<uoltia$opk1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6546&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6546

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 14:19:55 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 14:19 UTC

> But the Government have been doing very much the same with rail fares
> for  many years, setting everyone a bad example.

Not really - because you don't sign a new rail fare contract at a
reduced price every 2 years.

So in fact, rail fares have a significantly higher rate of inflation,
along with MPs salaries.

Re: BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy

<uom9k2$r3k7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6547&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6547

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.mobile
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2024 17:45:39 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:gmunPSLqG3vSstm0t0z+XG0/FPQ=
 by: Chris - Mon, 22 Jan 2024 17:45 UTC

Clive Page <usenet@page2.eu> wrote:
> On 19/01/2024 13:04, Chris wrote:
>> Java Jive <java@evij.com.invalid> wrote:
>>> BT changes mobile and broadband price rise policy
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67994514
>>>
>>> "BT is abandoning mid-contract price rises linked to inflation after the
>>> telecoms watchdog Ofcom threatened to ban the practice.
>>>
>>> It has been one of several providers to tell customers the cost of their
>>> mobile and broadband services would increase by inflation plus a fixed
>>> percentage.
>>
>> Which contributes to INCREASING inflation. I never understood the point of
>> the fixed percentage above inflation. It's essentially allowing telcos an
>> automatic 3.9% minimum annual price rise. The total should be capped.
>
> But the Government have been doing very much the same with rail fares for
> many years, setting everyone a bad example.

Not the last two years. Plus you have the choice of ticket and/or whether
to travel by train.