The only "ism" Hollywood believes in is plagiarism. -- Dorothy Parker

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / FTTP Availability Checker

SubjectAuthor
* FTTP Availability Checkernewman
+- Re: FTTP Availability CheckerTheo
+* Re: FTTP Availability CheckerGraham J
|+* Re: FTTP Availability CheckerWoody
||`- Re: FTTP Availability Checkernewman
|`- Re: FTTP Availability Checkernewman
+* Re: FTTP Availability CheckerMark Carver
|`- Re: FTTP Availability Checkernewman
`* Re: FTTP Availability CheckerAndy Burns
 `* Re: FTTP Availability Checkernewman
  `- Re: FTTP Availability CheckerGraham J

1
FTTP Availability Checker

<uor9e9$1rnvc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6548&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6548

From: aa111@despammed.com (newman)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: FTTP Availability Checker
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:13:13 +0000
 by: newman - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:13 UTC

My house telephone line [FTTC} is currently fed from a pole at the
bottom of my garden. This pole has recently [4 months ago] been fitted
with fibre infrastructure including a 4 port CBT. At present only one
port has been connected. This pole will only be required to feed a
maximum of three houses, my house and the houses either side.

However, on the BT Availability Checker both of these addresses show
that FTTP can be ordered, whereas my address shows that FTTP is not
available.

All other addresses with the same postcode show that FTTP can be ordered.

Any thoughts on reasons for this anomaly.

Regards

Re: FTTP Availability Checker

<7UE*kVeBz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6549&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6549

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: FTTP Availability Checker
Date: 24 Jan 2024 15:39:23 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:39 UTC

newman <aa111@despammed.com> wrote:
> All other addresses with the same postcode show that FTTP can be ordered.
>
> Any thoughts on reasons for this anomaly.

Database SNAFU?

I guess to fix it you'd have to flag down a friendly Openreach bod and point
at the pole, which may be tricky. Perhaps your FTTC might develop a
fault...

Another thought might be to get a quote for FTTP on demand:
https://www.cerberusnetworks.co.uk/connectivity-broadband/fibre-demand

The quote may be some ridiculous amount, but it might prod a part of
Openreach enough for them to look at your situation and notice that it is
already available and, maybe just maybe, update the DB.

Theo

Re: FTTP Availability Checker

<uorc2q$1s5sd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6550&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6550

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:57:50 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 15:57 UTC

newman wrote:
> My house telephone line [FTTC} is currently fed from a pole at the
> bottom of my garden. This pole has recently [4 months ago] been fitted
> with fibre infrastructure including a 4 port CBT. At present only one
> port has been connected. This pole will only be required to feed a
> maximum of three houses, my house and the houses either side.
>
> However, on the BT Availability Checker both of these addresses  show
> that FTTP can be ordered, whereas my address shows that FTTP is not
> available.
>
> All other addresses with the same postcode show that FTTP can be ordered.
>
> Any thoughts on reasons for this anomaly.

BT incompetence?

Is your garden very big? How far from the pole to your house? Would it
be practical to run overhead fibre that distance?

Try emailing their Managing Director.

--
Graham J

Re: FTTP Availability Checker

<uord4v$1s9o9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6551&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6551

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:16:31 +0000
 by: Woody - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:16 UTC

On Wed 24/01/2024 15:57, Graham J wrote:
> newman wrote:
>> My house telephone line [FTTC} is currently fed from a pole at the
>> bottom of my garden. This pole has recently [4 months ago] been fitted
>> with fibre infrastructure including a 4 port CBT. At present only one
>> port has been connected. This pole will only be required to feed a
>> maximum of three houses, my house and the houses either side.
>>
>> However, on the BT Availability Checker both of these addresses  show
>> that FTTP can be ordered, whereas my address shows that FTTP is not
>> available.
>>
>> All other addresses with the same postcode show that FTTP can be ordered.
>>
>> Any thoughts on reasons for this anomaly.
>
> BT incompetence?
>
> Is your garden very big?  How far from the pole to your house?  Would it
> be practical to run overhead fibre that distance?
>
> Try emailing their Managing Director.

Now this may sound daft, but BT is your service provider isn't it? If it
is an OR provided circuit but your SP is NOT BT then the system will
define it as not BT and thus fibre as not available because they do not
know what your SP is planning.

Try ceoemail.com to find out the name and email address of the CEO of
BT. From personal experience I can advise that most CEO's in big
organisations like BT have their own team for investigating different
aspects of the business. Your complaint/query will be passed to the
relevant person and you will likely get a direct response with 48hrs or
less - I least I did!

Re: FTTP Availability Checker

<l1cs1nFfqjhU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6552&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6552

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:26:22 +0000
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:26 UTC

On 24/01/2024 15:13, newman wrote:
> My house telephone line [FTTC} is currently fed from a pole at the
> bottom of my garden. This pole has recently [4 months ago] been fitted
> with fibre infrastructure including a 4 port CBT. At present only one
> port has been connected. This pole will only be required to feed a
> maximum of three houses, my house and the houses either side.
>
> However, on the BT Availability Checker both of these addresses  show
> that FTTP can be ordered, whereas my address shows that FTTP is not
> available.
>
> All other addresses with the same postcode show that FTTP can be ordered.
>
> Any thoughts on reasons for this anomaly.

Fill in this Openreach form as a starter

<https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form>

Re: FTTP Availability Checker

<l1csf6FhobmU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6553&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6553

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:33:41 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 16:33 UTC

newman wrote:
> on the BT Availability Checker both of these addresses  show that FTTP
> can be ordered, whereas my address shows that FTTP is not available.
Did you search by your UPRN?

Re: FTTP Availability Checker

<uos0fu$1vhot$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6554&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6554

From: aa111@despammed.com (newman)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:46:38 +0000
 by: newman - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:46 UTC

On 24/01/2024 15:57, Graham J wrote:
> newman wrote:
>> My house telephone line [FTTC} is currently fed from a pole at the
>> bottom of my garden. This pole has recently [4 months ago] been fitted
>> with fibre infrastructure including a 4 port CBT. At present only one
>> port has been connected. This pole will only be required to feed a
>> maximum of three houses, my house and the houses either side.
>>
>> However, on the BT Availability Checker both of these addresses  show
>> that FTTP can be ordered, whereas my address shows that FTTP is not
>> available.
>>
>> All other addresses with the same postcode show that FTTP can be ordered.
>>
>> Any thoughts on reasons for this anomaly.
>
> BT incompetence?
>
> Is your garden very big?  How far from the pole to your house?  Would it
> be practical to run overhead fibre that distance?
>
> Try emailing their Managing Director.

Pole to house ~20 m

Re: FTTP Availability Checker

<uos0hr$1vhot$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6555&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6555

From: aa111@despammed.com (newman)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:47:38 +0000
 by: newman - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:47 UTC

On 24/01/2024 16:16, Woody wrote:
> On Wed 24/01/2024 15:57, Graham J wrote:
>> newman wrote:
>>> My house telephone line [FTTC} is currently fed from a pole at the
>>> bottom of my garden. This pole has recently [4 months ago] been
>>> fitted with fibre infrastructure including a 4 port CBT. At present
>>> only one port has been connected. This pole will only be required to
>>> feed a maximum of three houses, my house and the houses either side.
>>>
>>> However, on the BT Availability Checker both of these addresses  show
>>> that FTTP can be ordered, whereas my address shows that FTTP is not
>>> available.
>>>
>>> All other addresses with the same postcode show that FTTP can be
>>> ordered.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts on reasons for this anomaly.
>>
>> BT incompetence?
>>
>> Is your garden very big?  How far from the pole to your house?  Would
>> it be practical to run overhead fibre that distance?
>>
>> Try emailing their Managing Director.
>>

> Now this may sound daft, but BT is your service provider isn't it? If it
> is an OR provided circuit but your SP is NOT BT then the system will
> define it as not BT and thus fibre as not available because they do not
> know what your SP is planning.
>
> Try ceoemail.com to find out the name and email address of the CEO of
> BT. From personal experience I can advise that most CEO's in big
> organisations like BT have their own team for investigating different
> aspects of the business. Your complaint/query will be passed to the
> relevant person and you will likely get a direct response with 48hrs or
> less - I least I did!

Sky is the FTTC provider.

Re: FTTP Availability Checker

<uos0ko$1vhot$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6556&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6556

From: aa111@despammed.com (newman)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:49:12 +0000
 by: newman - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:49 UTC

On 24/01/2024 16:26, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 24/01/2024 15:13, newman wrote:
>> My house telephone line [FTTC} is currently fed from a pole at the
>> bottom of my garden. This pole has recently [4 months ago] been fitted
>> with fibre infrastructure including a 4 port CBT. At present only one
>> port has been connected. This pole will only be required to feed a
>> maximum of three houses, my house and the houses either side.
>>
>> However, on the BT Availability Checker both of these addresses  show
>> that FTTP can be ordered, whereas my address shows that FTTP is not
>> available.
>>
>> All other addresses with the same postcode show that FTTP can be ordered.
>>
>> Any thoughts on reasons for this anomaly.
>
> Fill in this Openreach form as a starter
>
> <https://www.openreach.com/forms/fibre-broadband-availability---customer-form>

Thanks for that link.

Re: FTTP Availability Checker

<uos12a$1vhot$4@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6557&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6557

From: aa111@despammed.com (newman)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:56:26 +0000
 by: newman - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 21:56 UTC

On 24/01/2024 16:33, Andy Burns wrote:
> newman wrote:
>
>> on the BT Availability Checker both of these addresses  show that FTTP
>> can be ordered, whereas my address shows that FTTP is not available.
>
> Did you search by your UPRN?

Yes, it gives the same result as the postcode search. i.e. Fttp not
available.

Unfortunately, due to legacy reasons the UPRN address is slightly
different from the dropdown address on the postcode search and my
broadband provider Sky has a slightly different address again.

Re: FTTP Availability Checker

<uos43v$203i2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6558&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6558

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:48:02 +0000
 by: Graham J - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 22:48 UTC

newman wrote:
> On 24/01/2024 16:33, Andy Burns wrote:
>> newman wrote:
>>
>>> on the BT Availability Checker both of these addresses  show that
>>> FTTP can be ordered, whereas my address shows that FTTP is not
>>> available.
>>
>> Did you search by your UPRN?
>>
> Yes, it gives the same result as the postcode search. i.e. Fttp not
> available.
>
> Unfortunately, due to legacy reasons the UPRN address is slightly
> different from the dropdown address on the postcode search and my
> broadband provider Sky has a slightly different address again.

See what Zen Internet's website tells you. If they say "FTTP not
available" ring them and ask why not.

However, I think all the ISPs that use the BT infrastructure refer to
the BT database, so that is probably where the error lies. Perhaps
complain to OFCOM?

--
Graham J