It's easier to take it apart than to put it back together. -- Washlesky

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Cookie options

SubjectAuthor
* Cookie optionsDavey
+* Re: Cookie optionsAndy Burns
|`- Re: Cookie optionsDavey
+* Re: Cookie optionsPhilip Hole
|`* Re: Cookie optionsDavey
| `- Re: Cookie optionsPhilip Hole
+* Re: Cookie optionsJMB99
|+* Re: Cookie optionsPhilip Hole
||`* Re: Cookie optionsDavey
|| `- Re: Cookie optionsAndy Burns
|+- Re: Cookie optionsAndy Burns
|`* Re: Cookie optionsAnthonyL
| `- Re: Cookie optionsAbandoned Trolley
`- Re: Cookie optionsChris

1
Cookie options

<usc78t$10p0c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6683&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6683

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Cookie options
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:09:17 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:09 UTC

On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears so
fast that it is impossible to even read it, let alone change any
selection.
To continue means, I assume, that I am deemed to have agreed to
whatever cookies the site wants to put on my computer, and there is no
procedure offered to get the box back. 'Back' just goes to
the previous page, as expected.
What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?

--
Davey.

Re: Cookie options

<l4tmg1F6j4oU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6684&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6684

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Cookie options
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:24:50 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:24 UTC

Davey wrote:

> On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
> when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears so
> fast that it is impossible to even read it

Have you got any blocker add-on installed?

e.g. Ghostery/uBlock/Idontcareaboutcookies depending how you configure
them, and them recognising the specific site, will tend to answer "no to
cookies" on your behalf.

Re: Cookie options

<usc99l$10p0c$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6685&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6685

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:43:49 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:43 UTC

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 11:24:50 +0000
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

> Davey wrote:
>
> > On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
> > when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears
> > so fast that it is impossible to even read it
>
> Have you got any blocker add-on installed?
>
> e.g. Ghostery/uBlock/Idontcareaboutcookies depending how you
> configure them, and them recognising the specific site, will tend to
> answer "no to cookies" on your behalf.

Hmm. I have Ghostery, so that is a viable option. Thanks.

But I would also like to be able to respond to each box before it
disappears, or at least get the box back into view.

--
Davey.

Re: Cookie options

<uscg4o$12ltt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6686&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6686

From: news@theholefamily.org (Philip Hole)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 13:40:39 +0000
 by: Philip Hole - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 13:40 UTC

On 07/03/2024 11:09, Davey wrote:
> On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
> when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears so
> fast that it is impossible to even read it, let alone change any
> selection.
> To continue means, I assume, that I am deemed to have agreed to
> whatever cookies the site wants to put on my computer, and there is no
> procedure offered to get the box back. 'Back' just goes to
> the previous page, as expected.
> What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
> before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?

Many sites have a box at the bottom of the page with general information
- including 'Privacy' and 'Cookies'

eg BBC with 'Cookies' - about them and how to change them.

Have another look at your webpage.
--
Flop

Re: Cookie options

<uscguj$12t8e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6687&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6687

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 13:54:25 +0000
 by: Davey - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 13:54 UTC

On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 13:40:39 +0000
Philip Hole <news@theholefamily.org> wrote:

> On 07/03/2024 11:09, Davey wrote:
> > On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
> > when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears
> > so fast that it is impossible to even read it, let alone change any
> > selection.
> > To continue means, I assume, that I am deemed to have agreed to
> > whatever cookies the site wants to put on my computer, and there is
> > no procedure offered to get the box back. 'Back' just goes to
> > the previous page, as expected.
> > What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
> > before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
> >
> Many sites have a box at the bottom of the page with general
> information
> - including 'Privacy' and 'Cookies'
>
> eg BBC with 'Cookies' - about them and how to change them.
>
> Have another look at your webpage.

I will do so, thank you.
--
Davey.

Re: Cookie options

<usclu6$1416f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6688&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6688

From: news@theholefamily.org (Philip Hole)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2024 15:19:34 +0000
 by: Philip Hole - Thu, 7 Mar 2024 15:19 UTC

On 07/03/2024 13:54, Davey wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Mar 2024 13:40:39 +0000
> Philip Hole <news@theholefamily.org> wrote:
>
>> On 07/03/2024 11:09, Davey wrote:
>>> On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
>>> when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears
>>> so fast that it is impossible to even read it, let alone change any
>>> selection.
>>> To continue means, I assume, that I am deemed to have agreed to
>>> whatever cookies the site wants to put on my computer, and there is
>>> no procedure offered to get the box back. 'Back' just goes to
>>> the previous page, as expected.
>>> What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
>>> before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
>>>
>> Many sites have a box at the bottom of the page with general
>> information
>> - including 'Privacy' and 'Cookies'
>>
>> eg BBC with 'Cookies' - about them and how to change them.
>>
>> Have another look at your webpage.
>
> I will do so, thank you.

Additionally, look in your browser settings. It should show your
cookies. It is possible that the webpage does not use cookies in which
case the cookie folder will not show your website.

--
Flop

Re: Cookie options

<usemnj$1k5l8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6689&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6689

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 09:45:23 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 09:45 UTC

On 07/03/2024 11:09, Davey wrote:
> What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
> before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?

The ones that really annoy me are the one that list many dozens
(hundreds?) of sites when you click to change advertising preferences.

I usually just leave the site at that point.

Re: Cookie options

<useo4e$1ki6t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6690&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6690

From: news@theholefamily.org (Philip Hole)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:09:18 +0000
 by: Philip Hole - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:09 UTC

On 08/03/2024 09:45, JMB99 wrote:
> On 07/03/2024 11:09, Davey wrote:
>> What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
>> before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
>

> The ones that really annoy me are the one that list many dozens
> (hundreds?) of sites when you click to change advertising preferences.
>
> I usually just leave the site at that point.

Two points:

I think that there are restrictions on what can be offered when asked
for cookie preferences. That is, the cookies come in two(?) flavours -
essential and non-essential. The latter must be pre-set to 'OFF'. So
when you open the first page there are two options - 'accept as is' and
'Select your choices'. My method is to 'Select your choices' then 'Save
and exit'. This is the default option- just selecting only the
'essential' cookies.

Cunningly located at the bottom of the list of options, you may find a
'Reject all' option. This results in the same as the above paragraph -
only the essential cookies are chosen.
--
Flop

Re: Cookie options

<l507l1Fij1lU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6691&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6691

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:29:52 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:29 UTC

JMB99 wrote:

> The ones that really annoy me are the one that list many dozens
> (hundreds?) of sites when you click to change advertising preferences.
>
> I usually just leave the site at that point.

likewise.

Re: Cookie options

<usf1u9$1mphv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6694&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6694

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:56:41 +0000
 by: Davey - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:56 UTC

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 10:09:18 +0000
Philip Hole <news@theholefamily.org> wrote:

> On 08/03/2024 09:45, JMB99 wrote:
> > On 07/03/2024 11:09, Davey wrote:
> >> What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
> >> before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
> >

> > The ones that really annoy me are the one that list many dozens
> > (hundreds?) of sites when you click to change advertising
> > preferences.
> >
> > I usually just leave the site at that point.
> >

> Two points:
>
> I think that there are restrictions on what can be offered
> when asked for cookie preferences. That is, the cookies come in
> two(?) flavours - essential and non-essential. The latter must be
> pre-set to 'OFF'. So when you open the first page there are two
> options - 'accept as is' and 'Select your choices'. My method is to
> 'Select your choices' then 'Save and exit'. This is the default
> option- just selecting only the 'essential' cookies.
>
> Cunningly located at the bottom of the list of options, you
> may find a 'Reject all' option. This results in the same as the above
> paragraph - only the essential cookies are chosen.

My problem is that the box often disappears before I get the chance to
even read the options.
I've looked at Ghostery, but so far have not found the correct option to
automatically set cookies. More time needed.

--
Davey.

Re: Cookie options

<l50grfFij1lU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6695&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6695

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:06:54 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:06 UTC

Davey wrote:

> My problem is that the box often disappears before I get the chance to
> even read the options.
> I've looked at Ghostery, but so far have not found the correct option to
> automatically set cookies.

If you temporarily turn-off the "never consent" option, it won't auto
answer "no" to cookies ...

Re: Cookie options

<65eb0e72.1690041781@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6697&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6697

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:13:15 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:13 UTC

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 09:45:23 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 07/03/2024 11:09, Davey wrote:
>> What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
>> before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?
>

>The ones that really annoy me are the one that list many dozens
>(hundreds?) of sites when you click to change advertising preferences.
>
>I usually just leave the site at that point.

I switch to Private browsing and then Allow All. They then get wiped
(I hope) when I close the browser.

But the whole cookie thing is poorly implement and design concept,
technically and legally.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: Cookie options

<usfad9$1or4i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6698&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6698

From: fred@fred-smith.co.uk (Abandoned Trolley)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:21:14 +0000
 by: Abandoned Trolley - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:21 UTC

> But the whole cookie thing is poorly implement and design concept,
> technically and legally.

I agree

One way round it is to use a virtual machine for this browsing which
means you can stop worrying about it.

It might sound like a bit of a faff but I quite often run a VM in
VirtualBox and I can always spin up a different machine if I want to do
a bit of "off piste" browsing.

When I am finished I can easily delete the machine and then clone a new
"blank" for the next session - the technique works very well for
internet banking too.

Re: Cookie options

<usfbpk$1p9m6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6700&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6700

From: ithinkiam@gmail.com (Chris)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:44:52 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PvEH/TmPMmNeTvUdx0G0xotLbsE=
 by: Chris - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 15:44 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On many websites, a box mentioning cookies appears at certain times
> when using the website, usually at first contact, and it disappears so
> fast that it is impossible to even read it, let alone change any
> selection.

Sounds like you've got a plugin that auto responds for you.

> To continue means, I assume, that I am deemed to have agreed to
> whatever cookies the site wants to put on my computer,

This is contrary to the regulations, but many sites do do this. The
defaults should be the privacy respecting ones.

> and there is no
> procedure offered to get the box back. 'Back' just goes to
> the previous page, as expected.
> What is the way to get eh box back while still on the site, but
> before proceeding with whatever I want to do there?

Sites /should/ have somewhere to reconfigure your preferences. It'll be
somewhere in the small print. Many do not, however. In that case you need
to clear your cookies for that site and revisit it.