Death rays don't kill people, people kill people!!

aus+uk / uk.telecom.broadband / Most painless way to move to VOIP?

SubjectAuthor
* Most painless way to move to VOIP?Chris Green
+* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Davey
|+* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Woody
||+* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Chris Green
|||`* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Tweed
||| `* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Tim+
|||  `* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Davey
|||   `* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Davey
|||    `* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Tim+
|||     `* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Davey
|||      `* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Tweed
|||       +- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Tim+
|||       `- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Davey
||`* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Peter Johnson
|| +- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Tim+
|| `- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Graham J
|`* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Chris Green
| +* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Davey
| |`- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Ken
| +- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?David Wade
| `* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Bob Eager
|  `- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Chris Green
+* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Marco Moock
|`- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Chris Green
+- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Andy Burns
+* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Graham J
|`* Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Theo
| `- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Theo
`- Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?Malcolm Loades

Pages:12
Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<3csfek-etp.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6903&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6903

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Most painless way to move to VOIP?
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:28:03 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 13:28 UTC

We're currently with PlusNet with an FTTC connection that has been
very reliable since we first got it several years ago (six years or
more).

We still use the landline quite a lot for phone calls, both incoming
and outgoing. Mobile coverage is poor here and, while we do have the
ability to make calls on our mobiles via the WiFi it's still much
easier to use a 'real' phone. We have a six handset Gigaset DECT
system.

So I'm wondering what is going to be the least painful way to move the
landline number to VOIP. PlusNet still don't have IPV6 so either we
move from PlusNet to a provider that does have IPV6 or we do VOIP
through NAT with all the (possible) issues with that.

We have a static IPV4 address which I need to keep (doesn't have to
stay the same though) so if we change ISP then I want to move to one
that will provide a static IPV4 address within the standard price.

I'm looking at iDNet who seem to tick all the boxes and can provide a
VOIP service as well as the internet connection.

Does anyone have any other suggestions, things I should be aware of,
opinions about iDNet, etc.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv3gk4$7t4r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6904&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6904

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Subject: Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:42:28 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 13:42 UTC

On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:28:03 +0100
Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> We're currently with PlusNet with an FTTC connection that has been
> very reliable since we first got it several years ago (six years or
> more).
>
> We still use the landline quite a lot for phone calls, both incoming
> and outgoing. Mobile coverage is poor here and, while we do have the
> ability to make calls on our mobiles via the WiFi it's still much
> easier to use a 'real' phone. We have a six handset Gigaset DECT
> system.
>
> So I'm wondering what is going to be the least painful way to move the
> landline number to VOIP. PlusNet still don't have IPV6 so either we
> move from PlusNet to a provider that does have IPV6 or we do VOIP
> through NAT with all the (possible) issues with that.
>
> We have a static IPV4 address which I need to keep (doesn't have to
> stay the same though) so if we change ISP then I want to move to one
> that will provide a static IPV4 address within the standard price.
>
> I'm looking at iDNet who seem to tick all the boxes and can provide a
> VOIP service as well as the internet connection.
>
> Does anyone have any other suggestions, things I should be aware of,
> opinions about iDNet, etc.

I would suggest you look at Zen and see if they meet your requirements.
In my experience, they are an excellent ISP.
Others will no doubt recommend Andrews and Arnold.

--
Davey.

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv3lc7$8qig$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6905&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6905

From: mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de (Marco Moock)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:03:34 +0200
 by: Marco Moock - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:03 UTC

On 09.04.2024 um 14:28 Uhr Chris Green wrote:

> So I'm wondering what is going to be the least painful way to move the
> landline number to VOIP. PlusNet still don't have IPV6 so either we
> move from PlusNet to a provider that does have IPV6 or we do VOIP
> through NAT with all the (possible) issues with that.

I recommend using a provider that supports IPv6. This makes VoIP much,
much more easy because only a firewall rule needs to be set up.

--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to 1712665683muell@cartoonies.org

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv3o3p$a9an$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6906&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6906

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:50:15 +0100
 by: Woody - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 15:50 UTC

On Tue 09/04/2024 14:42, Davey wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:28:03 +0100
> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
>> We're currently with PlusNet with an FTTC connection that has been
>> very reliable since we first got it several years ago (six years or
>> more).
>>
>> We still use the landline quite a lot for phone calls, both incoming
>> and outgoing. Mobile coverage is poor here and, while we do have the
>> ability to make calls on our mobiles via the WiFi it's still much
>> easier to use a 'real' phone. We have a six handset Gigaset DECT
>> system.
>>
>> So I'm wondering what is going to be the least painful way to move the
>> landline number to VOIP. PlusNet still don't have IPV6 so either we
>> move from PlusNet to a provider that does have IPV6 or we do VOIP
>> through NAT with all the (possible) issues with that.
>>
>> We have a static IPV4 address which I need to keep (doesn't have to
>> stay the same though) so if we change ISP then I want to move to one
>> that will provide a static IPV4 address within the standard price.
>>
>> I'm looking at iDNet who seem to tick all the boxes and can provide a
>> VOIP service as well as the internet connection.
>>
>> Does anyone have any other suggestions, things I should be aware of,
>> opinions about iDNet, etc.
>>

> I would suggest you look at Zen and see if they meet your requirements.
> In my experience, they are an excellent ISP.
> Others will no doubt recommend Andrews and Arnold.

Difficulty of Zen is that they no longer provide email handling so you
would have to go elsewhere (likely chargeable) unless you use
gmail/hotmail/etc etc. On the other hand iDNet seem to be getting
themselves a pretty good reputation, they provide VoIP, email handling
(from memory five addresses) and all of their services come with static
address as standard.

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<896gek-ss91.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6907&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6907

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:17:12 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:17 UTC

Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On Tue 09/04/2024 14:42, Davey wrote:
> > On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:28:03 +0100
> > Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> >
> >> We're currently with PlusNet with an FTTC connection that has been
> >> very reliable since we first got it several years ago (six years or
> >> more).
> >>
> >> We still use the landline quite a lot for phone calls, both incoming
> >> and outgoing. Mobile coverage is poor here and, while we do have the
> >> ability to make calls on our mobiles via the WiFi it's still much
> >> easier to use a 'real' phone. We have a six handset Gigaset DECT
> >> system.
> >>
> >> So I'm wondering what is going to be the least painful way to move the
> >> landline number to VOIP. PlusNet still don't have IPV6 so either we
> >> move from PlusNet to a provider that does have IPV6 or we do VOIP
> >> through NAT with all the (possible) issues with that.
> >>
> >> We have a static IPV4 address which I need to keep (doesn't have to
> >> stay the same though) so if we change ISP then I want to move to one
> >> that will provide a static IPV4 address within the standard price.
> >>
> >> I'm looking at iDNet who seem to tick all the boxes and can provide a
> >> VOIP service as well as the internet connection.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any other suggestions, things I should be aware of,
> >> opinions about iDNet, etc.
> >>

> > I would suggest you look at Zen and see if they meet your requirements.
> > In my experience, they are an excellent ISP.
> > Others will no doubt recommend Andrews and Arnold.
> >

> Difficulty of Zen is that they no longer provide email handling so you
> would have to go elsewhere (likely chargeable) unless you use
> gmail/hotmail/etc etc. On the other hand iDNet seem to be getting
> themselves a pretty good reputation, they provide VoIP, email handling
> (from memory five addresses) and all of their services come with static
> address as standard.

OP here, I don't need E-Mail at all, I have my own domains and it's
all hosted on Mythic Beasts.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<e66gek-ss91.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6908&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6908

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:15:42 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:15 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:28:03 +0100
> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > We're currently with PlusNet with an FTTC connection that has been
> > very reliable since we first got it several years ago (six years or
> > more).
> >
> > We still use the landline quite a lot for phone calls, both incoming
> > and outgoing. Mobile coverage is poor here and, while we do have the
> > ability to make calls on our mobiles via the WiFi it's still much
> > easier to use a 'real' phone. We have a six handset Gigaset DECT
> > system.
> >
> > So I'm wondering what is going to be the least painful way to move the
> > landline number to VOIP. PlusNet still don't have IPV6 so either we
> > move from PlusNet to a provider that does have IPV6 or we do VOIP
> > through NAT with all the (possible) issues with that.
> >
> > We have a static IPV4 address which I need to keep (doesn't have to
> > stay the same though) so if we change ISP then I want to move to one
> > that will provide a static IPV4 address within the standard price.
> >
> > I'm looking at iDNet who seem to tick all the boxes and can provide a
> > VOIP service as well as the internet connection.
> >
> > Does anyone have any other suggestions, things I should be aware of,
> > opinions about iDNet, etc.
> >

> I would suggest you look at Zen and see if they meet your requirements.
> In my experience, they are an excellent ISP.

Yes, I know they are well recommended. However I couldn't find from
their website whether they offer a static IPV4 address nor even
whether they provide IPV6.

> Others will no doubt recommend Andrews and Arnold.

Yes, I'm considering them too, but I think they'd be more expensive
for our phone calls.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<4b6gek-ss91.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6909&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6909

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:18:12 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:18 UTC

Marco Moock <mm+usenet-es@dorfdsl.de> wrote:
> On 09.04.2024 um 14:28 Uhr Chris Green wrote:
>
> > So I'm wondering what is going to be the least painful way to move the
> > landline number to VOIP. PlusNet still don't have IPV6 so either we
> > move from PlusNet to a provider that does have IPV6 or we do VOIP
> > through NAT with all the (possible) issues with that.
>
> I recommend using a provider that supports IPv6. This makes VoIP much,
> much more easy because only a firewall rule needs to be set up.

Exactly!!! That's why I'm thinking that moving from PlusNet is the way
to go.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<l7l99kFiebmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6910&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6910

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:39:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:39 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> PlusNet still don't have IPV6

Real Soon Now [TM]

<https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/11/broadband-isp-plusnet-uk-prep-new-ipv6-technical-trial.html>

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv3rt4$b41u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6911&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6911

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:54:59 +0100
 by: Davey - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:54 UTC

On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:15:42 +0100
Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> > I would suggest you look at Zen and see if they meet your
> > requirements. In my experience, they are an excellent ISP.
>
> Yes, I know they are well recommended. However I couldn't find from
> their website whether they offer a static IPV4 address nor even
> whether they provide IPV6.

The Fast and Superfast Broadband offers, at least, include:

"Static IP Address
Access your computer and files from anywhere in the world."

The also offer Hosting. I never use their e-mail service, so I don't
know anything about it.

--
Davey.

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv3sok$bj39$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6912&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6912

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:09:40 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qSn65WoJ1HbvDz1QX3zjWYI3zgI=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 17:09 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> On Tue 09/04/2024 14:42, Davey wrote:

>>> I would suggest you look at Zen and see if they meet your requirements.
>>> In my experience, they are an excellent ISP.
>>> Others will no doubt recommend Andrews and Arnold.
>>>

>> Difficulty of Zen is that they no longer provide email handling so you
>> would have to go elsewhere (likely chargeable) unless you use
>> gmail/hotmail/etc etc. On the other hand iDNet seem to be getting
>> themselves a pretty good reputation, they provide VoIP, email handling
>> (from memory five addresses) and all of their services come with static
>> address as standard.
>
> OP here, I don't need E-Mail at all, I have my own domains and it's
> all hosted on Mythic Beasts.

I moved to IDnet six months ago when CityFibre arrived. (Was with Virgin
Media). I cannot fault IDnet. I have one fixed IPv4 address and a large
subnet of IPv6 addresses at no extra cost. I don’t run voip over that
connection just yet. During the initial installation and setup IDnet
answered all my emails almost by return, with answers that made sense.

They appear to have adequate backhaul, my 500/500 connection speed tests
close to this throughout the day.

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv44ql$bmpn$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6913&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6913

From: g4ugm@dave.invalid (David Wade)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:27:19 +0100
 by: David Wade - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 19:27 UTC

On 09/04/2024 17:15, Chris Green wrote:
> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>> On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 14:28:03 +0100
>> Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>>
>>> We're currently with PlusNet with an FTTC connection that has been
>>> very reliable since we first got it several years ago (six years or
>>> more).
>>>
>>> We still use the landline quite a lot for phone calls, both incoming
>>> and outgoing. Mobile coverage is poor here and, while we do have the
>>> ability to make calls on our mobiles via the WiFi it's still much
>>> easier to use a 'real' phone. We have a six handset Gigaset DECT
>>> system.
>>>
>>> So I'm wondering what is going to be the least painful way to move the
>>> landline number to VOIP. PlusNet still don't have IPV6 so either we
>>> move from PlusNet to a provider that does have IPV6 or we do VOIP
>>> through NAT with all the (possible) issues with that.
>>>
>>> We have a static IPV4 address which I need to keep (doesn't have to
>>> stay the same though) so if we change ISP then I want to move to one
>>> that will provide a static IPV4 address within the standard price.
>>>
>>> I'm looking at iDNet who seem to tick all the boxes and can provide a
>>> VOIP service as well as the internet connection.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any other suggestions, things I should be aware of,
>>> opinions about iDNet, etc.
>>>

>> I would suggest you look at Zen and see if they meet your requirements.
>> In my experience, they are an excellent ISP.
>
> Yes, I know they are well recommended. However I couldn't find from
> their website whether they offer a static IPV4 address nor even
> whether they provide IPV6.

You get a static IPV4. This is mentioned in the details of each package.
e.g. :-

https://www.zen.co.uk/broadband/fast-broadband

They say IPv6 is available. E-Mail them for details. The router they
provide can act as a DECT base station, or has a socket you can plug
your existing DECT base station into.

>> Others will no doubt recommend Andrews and Arnold.
>>
> Yes, I'm considering them too, but I think they'd be more expensive
> for our phone calls.

Probably. ZEN include 1000 minutes.

Dave

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv45tu$ds81$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6914&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6914

From: nobody@nowhere.co.uk (Graham J)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:46:02 +0100
 by: Graham J - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 19:46 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

[snip]

> Does anyone have any other suggestions, things I should be aware of,
> opinions about iDNet, etc.

I use Voipfone, and have done so for over 10 years. I happen to have a
static IP from Zen, but that is irrelevant.

In my experience NAT is not a problem: the Voipfone service works
through every router I've tried (OK that's not many) and there is no
need to set up any special firewall rules. It even worked through a
Tooway satellite system.

By contrast the "BT Cloud Voice Express" system that was forced onto a
local small business sometimes loses voice in one direction or the
other, and is a known fault that BT have not been able to resolve.

Be aware that when you port your landline number you will cancel the
associated broadband (i.e. your FTTC) service. So before you do
anything you must separate the landline from the broadband by converting
the broadband to SoGEA - see:

<https://www.plus.net/broadband/discover/what-is-sogea/#:~:text=SoGEA%20stands%20for%20Single%20order,Fibre%20broadband%20without%20a%20landline.>

This may involve a new contract with Plusnet.

If you already have good FTTC then you will probably never be offered
FTTP from Openreach and re-sold by Plusnet.

Voipfone can supply either an ATA or dedicated desk phones. They also
offer DECT base stations from Yealink and Gigaset. It would be worth
asking whether their Gigaset N300IP base will work with the Gigaset
handsets that you already own.

Alternatively, Plusnet may offer you a router that implements VoIP so
you would simply plug in your DECT base-station to its phone socket.
But their VoIP solution would be proprietary so you would have to use
their router - not helpful if you want to use your own router for
reasons such as VPN capability. Generally a VoIP solution bundled by
an ISP might be more expensive that

--
Graham J

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<l7llbpF9b0kU10@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6915&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6915

From: news0009@eager.cx (Bob Eager)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 9 Apr 2024 20:05:13 GMT
 by: Bob Eager - Tue, 9 Apr 2024 20:05 UTC

On Tue, 09 Apr 2024 17:15:42 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

>> Others will no doubt recommend Andrews and Arnold.
>>
> Yes, I'm considering them too, but I think they'd be more expensive for
> our phone calls.

I suggest you check. Static IP, email, IPv6 should all be good. Phone
number is £1.20 + VAT a month (cheaper than some) with free incoming
calls. Outgoing calls are max of 1.5p a minute, minimum call 2p; cheaper
evenings and weekends.

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<52491951.734425797.492937.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6918&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6918

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 10 Apr 2024 07:12:24 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 07:12 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

> I moved to IDnet six months ago when CityFibre arrived. (Was with Virgin
> Media). I cannot fault IDnet. I have one fixed IPv4 address and a large
> subnet of IPv6 addresses at no extra cost. I don’t run voip over that
> connection just yet. During the initial installation and setup IDnet
> answered all my emails almost by return, with answers that made sense.
>
> They appear to have adequate backhaul, my 500/500 connection speed tests
> close to this throughout the day.

Just looked at idnet pricing and at first it looked very competitive but
then I realised that it was all quoted without VAT which is a bit
misleading when virtually all other ISPs include VAT.

A bit naughty I feel.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv5fio$qomi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6920&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6920

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:36:56 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 07:36 UTC

On 10 Apr 2024 07:12:24 GMT
Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I moved to IDnet six months ago when CityFibre arrived. (Was with
> > Virgin Media). I cannot fault IDnet. I have one fixed IPv4 address
> > and a large subnet of IPv6 addresses at no extra cost. I don’t run
> > voip over that connection just yet. During the initial installation
> > and setup IDnet answered all my emails almost by return, with
> > answers that made sense.
> >
> > They appear to have adequate backhaul, my 500/500 connection speed
> > tests close to this throughout the day.
> >

> Just looked at idnet pricing and at first it looked very competitive
> but then I realised that it was all quoted without VAT which is a bit
> misleading when virtually all other ISPs include VAT.
>
> A bit naughty I feel.
>
> Tim

I thought that all quoted prices were supposed to include VAT? They can
show VAT-less prices, as long as the inclusive ones are also shown.
Yes/No?

--
Davey.

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv5flm$qomi$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6921&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6921

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:38:30 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 07:38 UTC

On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:36:56 +0100
Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

> On 10 Apr 2024 07:12:24 GMT
> Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>
> > Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I moved to IDnet six months ago when CityFibre arrived. (Was with
> > > Virgin Media). I cannot fault IDnet. I have one fixed IPv4 address
> > > and a large subnet of IPv6 addresses at no extra cost. I don’t run
> > > voip over that connection just yet. During the initial
> > > installation and setup IDnet answered all my emails almost by
> > > return, with answers that made sense.
> > >
> > > They appear to have adequate backhaul, my 500/500 connection speed
> > > tests close to this throughout the day.
> > >

> > Just looked at idnet pricing and at first it looked very competitive
> > but then I realised that it was all quoted without VAT which is a
> > bit misleading when virtually all other ISPs include VAT.
> >
> > A bit naughty I feel.
> >
> > Tim
> >

> I thought that all quoted prices were supposed to include VAT? They
> can show VAT-less prices, as long as the inclusive ones are also
> shown. Yes/No?

Here we go:
https://www.asa.org.uk/news/to-include-or-not-to-include-vat-in-stated-prices.html

--
Davey.

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<1176822964.734431293.717660.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6922&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6922

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 10 Apr 2024 08:42:53 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:42 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:36:56 +0100
> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 10 Apr 2024 07:12:24 GMT
>> Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

>>> Just looked at idnet pricing and at first it looked very competitive
>>> but then I realised that it was all quoted without VAT which is a
>>> bit misleading when virtually all other ISPs include VAT.
>>>
>>> A bit naughty I feel.
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>

>> I thought that all quoted prices were supposed to include VAT? They
>> can show VAT-less prices, as long as the inclusive ones are also
>> shown. Yes/No?
>>

> Here we go:
> https://www.asa.org.uk/news/to-include-or-not-to-include-vat-in-stated-prices.html

I suppose they might argue that most of their customers are businesses
rather than householders and hence the rule doesn’t apply?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<b30iek-vqs4.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6923&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6923

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:43:55 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:43 UTC

Bob Eager <news0009@eager.cx> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Apr 2024 17:15:42 +0100, Chris Green wrote:
>
> >> Others will no doubt recommend Andrews and Arnold.
> >>
> > Yes, I'm considering them too, but I think they'd be more expensive for
> > our phone calls.
>
> I suggest you check. Static IP, email, IPv6 should all be good. Phone
> number is £1.20 + VAT a month (cheaper than some) with free incoming
> calls. Outgoing calls are max of 1.5p a minute, minimum call 2p; cheaper
> evenings and weekends.

Outgoing calls to 'geographic' numbers are the price you quote but
calls to mobiles and, for example, 087x numbers are more expensive.
Many (if not most) of our outgoing calls are to mobiles and I don't
want to have to worry seriously if I call an 0870 (though I avoid them
on principle if I can). Our current call plan with PlusNet is all
inclusive apart from 'real' premium numbers so we are used to not
bothering who we're calling.

The iDNet VOIP seems to be pretty all inclusive as regards outgoing
calls.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<MLy*PDzHz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6925&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6925

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 10 Apr 2024 10:36:38 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:36 UTC

Graham J <nobody@nowhere.co.uk> wrote:
> Be aware that when you port your landline number you will cancel the
> associated broadband (i.e. your FTTC) service. So before you do
> anything you must separate the landline from the broadband by converting
> the broadband to SoGEA - see:
>
> <https://www.plus.net/broadband/discover/what-is-sogea/#:~:text=SoGEA%20stands%20for%20Single%20order,Fibre%20broadband%20without%20a%20landline.>
>
> This may involve a new contract with Plusnet.
> Alternatively, Plusnet may offer you a router that implements VoIP so
> you would simply plug in your DECT base-station to its phone socket.
> But their VoIP solution would be proprietary so you would have to use
> their router - not helpful if you want to use your own router for
> reasons such as VPN capability. Generally a VoIP solution bundled by
> an ISP might be more expensive that

I believe Plusnet don't offer VOIP full stop. It's either analogue phone or
no phone. If you want to keep your landline after moving onto SOGEA they
will pass you on to sister companies EE or BT who do have a VOIP service.

So if you want to extract the number without ceasing the broadband, you
either have to first move to a broadband provider who does offer VOIP, which
will move your line to SOGEA and then you can port out the number from their
VOIP platform without affecting the broadband. Or you can port out the
number from your PN analogue line, which will cease the Plusnet broadband
(if you are in contract there will be penalty fees). Then immediately
re-contract with Plusnet for a phone-free broadband service. I don't know
how long the 'reactivate old connection' time is now but it's possible this
may cause an interruption to the broadband of some days, maybe up to a
fortnight.

Theo

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<LLy*4EzHz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6926&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6926

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 10 Apr 2024 10:41:53 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 09:41 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> So if you want to extract the number without ceasing the broadband, you
> either have to first move to a broadband provider who does offer VOIP, which
> will move your line to SOGEA and then you can port out the number from their
> VOIP platform without affecting the broadband. Or you can port out the
> number from your PN analogue line, which will cease the Plusnet broadband
> (if you are in contract there will be penalty fees). Then immediately
> re-contract with Plusnet for a phone-free broadband service. I don't know
> how long the 'reactivate old connection' time is now but it's possible this
> may cause an interruption to the broadband of some days, maybe up to a
> fortnight.

Or, a variation of the first option, port out the broadband to a provider
who has a sane VOIP platform so you don't need to then port out the number
to take it somewhere else.

Both A&A and Voipfone offer broadband as well as VOIP, so another
possibility is to move to them, let them take over the number. After your
broadband contract with them ends you could choose to move the broadband to
someone cheaper and keep the VOIP with them.

If the VOIP offerings from IDNet and Zen (who I think both contract out
provision to BT) are suitable for you then those are decent ISPs too.

Theo

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<l7n9sdFpmjnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6928&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6928

From: devnull@loades.net (Malcolm Loades)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 12:01:34 +0100
 by: Malcolm Loades - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 11:01 UTC

On 09/04/2024 14:28, Chris Green wrote:
> We're currently with PlusNet with an FTTC connection that has been
> very reliable since we first got it several years ago (six years or
> more).
>
> We still use the landline quite a lot for phone calls, both incoming
> and outgoing. Mobile coverage is poor here and, while we do have the
> ability to make calls on our mobiles via the WiFi it's still much
> easier to use a 'real' phone. We have a six handset Gigaset DECT
> system.
>
> So I'm wondering what is going to be the least painful way to move the
> landline number to VOIP. PlusNet still don't have IPV6 so either we
> move from PlusNet to a provider that does have IPV6 or we do VOIP
> through NAT with all the (possible) issues with that.
>
> We have a static IPV4 address which I need to keep (doesn't have to
> stay the same though) so if we change ISP then I want to move to one
> that will provide a static IPV4 address within the standard price.
>
> I'm looking at iDNet who seem to tick all the boxes and can provide a
> VOIP service as well as the internet connection.
>
> Does anyone have any other suggestions, things I should be aware of,
> opinions about iDNet, etc.

Cheap compared with landline rental plus call costs, but expensive when
compared with other VOIP providers, is Vonage. This is the most
obviously painless way to move to VOIP if you're a dummy. But, I
suspect you're not with mention of IPV6 and NAT.

However IPV6 and NAT have no bearing on VOIP in my experience. VOIP has
been my sole telephony system for nearly 20 years during which time I've
switched ISPs 4 or 5 times. I've used 4 or 5 VOIP providers for
incoming calls and several different ones for outgoing, had both static
and dynamic IPs and most recently with FTTP with CGNAT. Never has the
lack of IPV6 or NAT caused the slightest hiccup.

The sole thing which hasn't changed during this period is my router, a
Fritz!Box. Several models over this time but everyone a Fritz!Box with
settings exported from one to the next.

VOIP is at the very heart of Fritz!Box routers. Currently my Fritz!Box
is online to 4 VOIP providers, one of which doesn't have a telephone
number but is for some outgoing calls only. Which provider is used for
individual outgoing call can be pre-determined. In my model it has 3
answering machines so rules may be set as to which one one answers for a
certain reason. Plus telephone books. My main use is for calls to my
'old' landline number to be immediately routed to one of the answering
machines if the callers number is not in my whitelisted telephone book,
or is withheld.

Malcolm

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv631o$vhn6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6929&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6929

From: davey@example.invalid (Davey)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 14:09:10 +0100
 by: Davey - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 13:09 UTC

On 10 Apr 2024 08:42:53 GMT
Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:

> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Apr 2024 08:36:56 +0100
> > Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

> >> I thought that all quoted prices were supposed to include VAT? They
> >> can show VAT-less prices, as long as the inclusive ones are also
> >> shown. Yes/No?
> >>

> > Here we go:
> > https://www.asa.org.uk/news/to-include-or-not-to-include-vat-in-stated-prices.html
> >

> I suppose they might argue that most of their customers are businesses
> rather than householders and hence the rule doesn’t apply?
>
> Tim

"You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment" !

--
Davey.

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<osbd1jda5e5ea352vb1n5k3kpe4j6votj7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6930&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6930

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 16:30:41 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 15:30 UTC

On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:50:15 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Difficulty of Zen is that they no longer provide email handling

Are you sure about this? Is it a new thing?
I've been with Zen for only two years and have (usused) email, and
access to some webspace.

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<1578433095.734458277.903346.timdownieuk-yahoo.co.youkay@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6931&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6931

From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: 10 Apr 2024 16:12:22 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 16:12 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 16:50:15 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Difficulty of Zen is that they no longer provide email handling
>
> Are you sure about this? Is it a new thing?
> I've been with Zen for only two years and have (usused) email, and
> access to some webspace.

Legacy services only available to old customers. Anybody’s guess as to how
long they will support them for…

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Most painless way to move to VOIP?

<uv6ksm$142t9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=6932&group=uk.telecom.broadband#6932

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.telecom.broadband
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:13:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ZIAvatMw+M8aj8TityX5aG58vrM=
 by: Tweed - Wed, 10 Apr 2024 18:13 UTC

Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2024 08:42:53 GMT
> Tim+ <timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay> wrote:
>
>> Davey <davey@example.invalid> wrote:

>>> Here we go:
>>> https://www.asa.org.uk/news/to-include-or-not-to-include-vat-in-stated-prices.html
>>>

>> I suppose they might argue that most of their customers are businesses
>> rather than householders and hence the rule doesn’t apply?
>>
>> Tim
>>

> "You might say that, I couldn't possibly comment" !

Did everyone miss the button marked “show prices including VAT” ?