From: news@hartig-mantel.de (Rolf Mantel)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Gauge changing
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 14:04:32 +0100
 by: Rolf Mantel - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 13:04 UTC

Am 28.11.2023 um 18:12 schrieb Muttley@dastardlyhq.com:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:23:19 +0100
> Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:
>> Am 28.11.2023 um 10:22 schrieb Muttley@dastardlyhq.com:
>> unlike

>>> 250 million francs to lay 40 miles of an extra rail?? Was it going to be made
>>
>>> out of gold or something?
>>
>> There was the challenge of needing to cross a high-speed line in Spietz:
>
> Whats the challenge? Lay the rail across it.

What's the challenge of electrifying a 2-mile extension with third rail?
Some things just won't be approved, and then a different solution must
be found.

In Brig, the solution to the challenge was to build a tunnel for the
1000-mm line underneath the main line. In Spietz, BLS requested
something similar, leading to the 'golden extra-rail' price tag.

Rolf

Re: Gauge changing

<ukkrqd$3fg8e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71273&group=uk.railway#71273

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 15:38:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 15:38 UTC

On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 14:04:32 +0100
Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:
>Am 28.11.2023 um 18:12 schrieb Muttley@dastardlyhq.com:
>> On Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:23:19 +0100
>> Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:
>>> unlike

>made

>>> There was the challenge of needing to cross a high-speed line in Spietz:
>>
>> Whats the challenge? Lay the rail across it.
>
>What's the challenge of electrifying a 2-mile extension with third rail?

There isn't one. Poor old Merseyrail are probably regretting their decision
now since the 777s are proving somewhat unreliable when running on battery
power amongst other things apparently and they won't be able to run the old 3rd
rail only stock to the new terminus as cover. What a bunch of muppets.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-merseyrail-train-fleet-h
it-27060659
https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2123797-metro-mayor-slams-train-m
aker-stadler-over-frustratingly-poor-performance-of-new-fleet

>Some things just won't be approved, and then a different solution must
>be found.

It would have been approved but I suspect they thought battery power would be
a cheaper option given they were hoping to use it elsewhere anyway.

>In Brig, the solution to the challenge was to build a tunnel for the
>1000-mm line underneath the main line. In Spietz, BLS requested
>something similar, leading to the 'golden extra-rail' price tag.

So politics, not engineering.

Re: Gauge changing

<KDmbN.13015$iIT1.8873@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71278&group=uk.railway#71278

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
<ukkrqd$3fg8e$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2023 15:55:22 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 15:55 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 14:04:32 +0100
> Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:
>> Am 28.11.2023 um 18:12 schrieb Muttley@dastardlyhq.com:

>> made

>>> Whats the challenge? Lay the rail across it.
>>
>> What's the challenge of electrifying a 2-mile extension with third rail?
>
> There isn't one. Poor old Merseyrail are probably regretting their decision
> now since the 777s are proving somewhat unreliable when running on battery
> power amongst other things apparently and they won't be able to run the old 3rd
> rail only stock to the new terminus as cover. What a bunch of muppets.
>
> https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-merseyrail-train-fleet-h
> it-27060659
> https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2123797-metro-mayor-slams-train-m
> aker-stadler-over-frustratingly-poor-performance-of-new-fleet

What's the betting it's software issues?

>> Some things just won't be approved, and then a different solution must
>> be found.
>
> It would have been approved but I suspect they thought battery power would be
> a cheaper option given they were hoping to use it elsewhere anyway.

Yes

Re: Gauge changing

<ukkt5i$3fold$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71282&group=uk.railway#71282

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:01:54 -0000 (UTC)
<ukkrqd$3fg8e$1@dont-email.me>
<KDmbN.13015$iIT1.8873@fx15.ams1>
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 16:01 UTC

On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 15:55:22 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-merseyrail-train-fleet-
>> it-27060659
>>
>https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2123797-metro-mayor-slams-train-
>> aker-stadler-over-frustratingly-poor-performance-of-new-fleet
>
>What's the betting it's software issues?

Wouldn't be surprised. Can't imagine there's anything fundamentally wrong
with the batteries themselves. It does seem to be the case than train
manufacturers get the hardware working then let the customer unwittingly beta
test the software in the field as serious software faults seem to happen time
and again with new trains.

Re: Gauge changing

<ukl17p$3gdib$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71288&group=uk.railway#71288

From: bob@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2023 18:11:21 +0100
 by: Bob - Mon, 4 Dec 2023 17:11 UTC

On 04.12.23 17:01, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Dec 2023 15:55:22 GMT
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-merseyrail-train-fleet-
>>> it-27060659
>>>
>> https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2123797-metro-mayor-slams-train-
>>> aker-stadler-over-frustratingly-poor-performance-of-new-fleet
>>
>> What's the betting it's software issues?
>
> Wouldn't be surprised. Can't imagine there's anything fundamentally wrong
> with the batteries themselves. It does seem to be the case than train
> manufacturers get the hardware working then let the customer unwittingly beta
> test the software in the field as serious software faults seem to happen time
> and again with new trains.

Trains are (and always have been) produced in too few numbers to do the
kind of testing needed to fully perfect the design. In the course of the
history of the railways, the number of designs that have not needed some
modification after entering service is far outnumbered by those that have.

Robin

Re: Gauge changing

<uknu0r$c9l9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71375&group=uk.railway#71375

From: bevanprice666@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2023 19:34:53 +0000
 by: Bevan Price - Tue, 5 Dec 2023 19:34 UTC

On 04/12/2023 15:55, Recliner wrote:
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Dec 2023 14:04:32 +0100
>> Rolf Mantel <news@hartig-mantel.de> wrote:

>>> made

>>> What's the challenge of electrifying a 2-mile extension with third rail?
>>
>> There isn't one. Poor old Merseyrail are probably regretting their decision
>> now since the 777s are proving somewhat unreliable when running on battery
>> power amongst other things apparently and they won't be able to run the old 3rd
>> rail only stock to the new terminus as cover. What a bunch of muppets.
>>
>> https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/new-merseyrail-train-fleet-h
>> it-27060659
>> https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2123797-metro-mayor-slams-train-m
>> aker-stadler-over-frustratingly-poor-performance-of-new-fleet
>
> What's the betting it's software issues?

Or over-sensitive sensors connected to computers. That was apparently
the cause of many failures when the Freightliner Class 70s were new.
Sensor thinks there is a problem - computer tells loco to stop.
(according to a Freightliner official some years sgo.)