Men of quality are not afraid of women for equality.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge

SubjectAuthor
* Brockenhurst swing bridgeGraeme Wall
+* Re: Brockenhurst swing bridgeSam Wilson
|`- Re: Brockenhurst swing bridgeGraeme Wall
`* Re: Brockenhurst swing bridgeMarland
 +- Re: Brockenhurst swing bridgeGraeme Wall
 `* Re: Brockenhurst swing bridgeSam Wilson
  `* Re: Brockenhurst swing bridgeMarland
   `* Re: Brockenhurst swing bridgeMike Humphrey
    `* Re: Brockenhurst swing bridgeGraeme Wall
     `- Re: Brockenhurst swing bridgeMarland

1
Brockenhurst swing bridge

<ul1lkr$26qec$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71573&group=uk.railway#71573

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Brockenhurst swing bridge
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2023 12:13:15 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 9 Dec 2023 12:13 UTC

No, not on a canal! There was a swing bridge at Brockenhurst allowing
level access to the up island platforms at Brockenhurts. Does anyone
know if it still exists?
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Platform_swing_bridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_3921595.jpg>
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge

<ul3v3k$2keu8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71614&group=uk.railway#71614

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 09:07:00 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Zll2FkXkE7Txr3m6PoN5tAOa4W8=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 09:07 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> No, not on a canal! There was a swing bridge at Brockenhurst allowing
> level access to the up island platforms at Brockenhurts. Does anyone
> know if it still exists?
> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Platform_swing_bridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_3921595.jpg>

Was it interlocked with the signalling?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge

<ul425q$2krd7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71616&group=uk.railway#71616

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 09:59:22 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 09:59 UTC

On 10/12/2023 09:07, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> No, not on a canal! There was a swing bridge at Brockenhurst allowing
>> level access to the up island platforms at Brockenhurts. Does anyone
>> know if it still exists?
>> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Platform_swing_bridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_3921595.jpg>
>
> Was it interlocked with the signalling?

Hopefully!

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge

<ktllhmFplreU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71621&group=uk.railway#71621

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 10 Dec 2023 11:25:42 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 11:25 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> No, not on a canal! There was a swing bridge at Brockenhurst allowing
> level access to the up island platforms at Brockenhurts. Does anyone
> know if it still exists?
> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Platform_swing_bridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_3921595.jpg>

It was taken out of use when a new footbridge was installed with lifts
somewhere around 2014-2016,
Last time I last saw it personally I think was in 2019 but it may have
been 2020. At that stage is was fixed back in the open position and the
timber baulks which supported it as it swung across the rails
had been removed.
To answer a question asked further down, Yes it was interlocked with the
signalling and also was equipped with a Red lamp like those found on buffer
stops that would have been visible to an approaching train if the bridge
was set across the track.

GH

Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge

<ul4ev2$2ml18$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71628&group=uk.railway#71628

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 13:37:38 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 10 Dec 2023 13:37 UTC

On 10/12/2023 11:25, Marland wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> No, not on a canal! There was a swing bridge at Brockenhurst allowing
>> level access to the up island platforms at Brockenhurts. Does anyone
>> know if it still exists?
>> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Platform_swing_bridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_3921595.jpg>
>

> It was taken out of use when a new footbridge was installed with lifts
> somewhere around 2014-2016,
> Last time I last saw it personally I think was in 2019 but it may have
> been 2020. At that stage is was fixed back in the open position and the
> timber baulks which supported it as it swung across the rails
> had been removed.
> To answer a question asked further down, Yes it was interlocked with the
> signalling and also was equipped with a Red lamp like those found on buffer
> stops that would have been visible to an approaching train if the bridge
> was set across the track.

I last saw it in 2009, but couldn't remember the details.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge

<ul5juf$2s5dt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71658&group=uk.railway#71658

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 00:08:47 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:uiNAVA2OxD/Rcy7PE1geDPC6dz0=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 00:08 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> No, not on a canal! There was a swing bridge at Brockenhurst allowing
>> level access to the up island platforms at Brockenhurts. Does anyone
>> know if it still exists?
>> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Platform_swing_bridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_3921595.jpg>
>

> It was taken out of use when a new footbridge was installed with lifts
> somewhere around 2014-2016,
> Last time I last saw it personally I think was in 2019 but it may have
> been 2020. At that stage is was fixed back in the open position and the
> timber baulks which supported it as it swung across the rails
> had been removed.
> To answer a question asked further down, Yes it was interlocked with the
> signalling and also was equipped with a Red lamp like those found on buffer
> stops that would have been visible to an approaching train if the bridge
> was set across the track.

Great, thank you. I guess the light must have been at foot level since
there’s no sign of it in the photo (though there is a hair mark so it looks
like it was scanned from a negative).

Same

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge

<kto09lFcasaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71664&group=uk.railway#71664

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 11 Dec 2023 08:41:25 GMT
 by: Marland - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 08:41 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>> No, not on a canal! There was a swing bridge at Brockenhurst allowing
>>> level access to the up island platforms at Brockenhurts. Does anyone
>>> know if it still exists?
>>> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/02/Platform_swing_bridge_-_geograph.org.uk_-_3921595.jpg>
>>

>> It was taken out of use when a new footbridge was installed with lifts
>> somewhere around 2014-2016,
>> Last time I last saw it personally I think was in 2019 but it may have
>> been 2020. At that stage is was fixed back in the open position and the
>> timber baulks which supported it as it swung across the rails
>> had been removed.
>> To answer a question asked further down, Yes it was interlocked with the
>> signalling and also was equipped with a Red lamp like those found on buffer
>> stops that would have been visible to an approaching train if the bridge
>> was set across the track.
>
> Great, thank you. I guess the light must have been at foot level since
> there’s no sign of it in the photo (though there is a hair mark so it looks
> like it was scanned from a negative).
>
> Same

The bridge depicted in your link was the last version of it and had a
relatively short life and they don’t seem to have installed a lamp.
The previous one carried it on a post to raise the lamp up higher than the
bridge.
Can be seen in this link by which time they were using battery lamps rather
than oil.
<https://paulbigland.blog/2019/03/05/remember-that-ticking-clock/>

Ironically I have just realised it must be 45 years this week that on a
lads evening Christmas expedition we caused some consternation to the
staff who were keeping a wary eye on us by “disappearing “. Brockenhurst
Buffet had once had a beer cellar and we found the cellar access flaps
were easy to lift so down we went and then found we could then emerge up
into the buffet. from within the buffet we then stared out till one of the
staff wandering down the platform no doubt to check on us visibly jumped
out of his skin when he caught sight of the ghostly faces staring out from
within the darkened buffet. He got the key and let us out with a friendly
rollicking .
That buffet was used in the 1970’s remake of brief encounter.
The cellar flaps have long been covered over.

GH

Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge

<ulag95$3ppso$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71787&group=uk.railway#71787

From: mail@michaelhumphrey.me.uk (Mike Humphrey)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 20:36:53 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Humphrey - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 20:36 UTC

On 11 Dec 2023 08:41:25 GMT, Marland wrote:
> The bridge depicted in your link was the last version of it and had a
> relatively short life and they don’t seem to have installed a lamp.
> The previous one carried it on a post to raise the lamp up higher than
> the bridge.
> Can be seen in this link by which time they were using battery lamps
> rather than oil.
> <https://paulbigland.blog/2019/03/05/remember-that-ticking-clock/>

That link says that the only other one he's heard of is Eastleigh. But
Malton once had a bridge (sliding, rather than swing) that was the only
access to the platforms - there was no fixed footbridge at all. There's a
picture of it in the 50s at https://www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk/
history/stations/malton-station/ . It seems it was taken out of use in the
60s, with the track layout being changed to allow all stopping trains to
call at platform 1, and the other platforms demolished.

Mike

Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge

<ulaist$3qe1f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71790&group=uk.railway#71790

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 21:21:33 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 12 Dec 2023 21:21 UTC

On 12/12/2023 20:36, Mike Humphrey wrote:
> On 11 Dec 2023 08:41:25 GMT, Marland wrote:
>> The bridge depicted in your link was the last version of it and had a
>> relatively short life and they don’t seem to have installed a lamp.
>> The previous one carried it on a post to raise the lamp up higher than
>> the bridge.
>> Can be seen in this link by which time they were using battery lamps
>> rather than oil.
>> <https://paulbigland.blog/2019/03/05/remember-that-ticking-clock/>
>
> That link says that the only other one he's heard of is Eastleigh. But
> Malton once had a bridge (sliding, rather than swing) that was the only
> access to the platforms - there was no fixed footbridge at all. There's a
> picture of it in the 50s at https://www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk/
> history/stations/malton-station/ . It seems it was taken out of use in the
> 60s, with the track layout being changed to allow all stopping trains to
> call at platform 1, and the other platforms demolished.

There used to be one at White City.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Brockenhurst swing bridge

<ktt8fsFi981U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71806&group=uk.railway#71806

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 13 Dec 2023 08:31:56 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 13 Dec 2023 08:31 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/12/2023 20:36, Mike Humphrey wrote:
>> On 11 Dec 2023 08:41:25 GMT, Marland wrote:
>>> The bridge depicted in your link was the last version of it and had a
>>> relatively short life and they don’t seem to have installed a lamp.
>>> The previous one carried it on a post to raise the lamp up higher than
>>> the bridge.
>>> Can be seen in this link by which time they were using battery lamps
>>> rather than oil.
>>> <https://paulbigland.blog/2019/03/05/remember-that-ticking-clock/>
>>
>> That link says that the only other one he's heard of is Eastleigh. But
>> Malton once had a bridge (sliding, rather than swing) that was the only
>> access to the platforms - there was no fixed footbridge at all. There's a
>> picture of it in the 50s at https://www.yorkshirewoldsrailway.org.uk/
>> history/stations/malton-station/ . It seems it was taken out of use in the
>> 60s, with the track layout being changed to allow all stopping trains to
>> call at platform 1, and the other platforms demolished.
>>

> There used to be one at White City.

Over the years I suppose there have been a few.
Even Waterloo LSWR before it got rebuilt had a movable bridge that crossed
the the link line to what became the South Eastern Railway. The link
apparently was rarely used but was in place for many years and must have
been fairly inconvenient with the dip in the concourse to accommodate it.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Waterloo_link_line.jpg>

GH