If you fall and break your legs, don't come running to me. -Samuel Goldwyn

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety by

SubjectAuthor
* SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety by glitchingJMB99
+* Re: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety byRecliner
|`* Re: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety byMuttley
| `- Re: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety byRecliner
`- Re: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety bySam Wilson

1
SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety by glitching railroad signals

<ulhsk1$1v3l4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72069&group=uk.railway#72069

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety by glitching
railroad signals
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:50:26 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 15:50 UTC

Solar storms could affect train safety by glitching railroad signals
https://www.space.com/solar-storms-railroad-signal-train-safety

"The study modeled two United Kingdom railroad routes via computer: the
Preston to Lancaster section of the West Coast Main Line, and the
Glasgow to Edinburgh line. (These tracks are among those that use 50,000
signaling track circuits controlled by electricity between rails.)"

Re: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety by glitching railroad signals

<M9%eN.15671$woU1.7999@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72080&group=uk.railway#72080

Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety by
glitching railroad signals
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:29:32 GMT
 by: Recliner - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:29 UTC

JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

> Solar storms could affect train safety by glitching railroad signals
> https://www.space.com/solar-storms-railroad-signal-train-safety
>
> "The study modeled two United Kingdom railroad routes via computer: the
> Preston to Lancaster section of the West Coast Main Line, and the
> Glasgow to Edinburgh line. (These tracks are among those that use 50,000
> signaling track circuits controlled by electricity between rails.)"

"We found that space weather events, capable of triggering faults in these
track circuits, are expected in the U.K. every few decades."

Re: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety by

<ulhvql$1vnep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72081&group=uk.railway#72081

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:45:09 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:45 UTC

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:29:32 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>

>> Solar storms could affect train safety by glitching railroad signals
>> https://www.space.com/solar-storms-railroad-signal-train-safety
>>
>> "The study modeled two United Kingdom railroad routes via computer: the
>> Preston to Lancaster section of the West Coast Main Line, and the
>> Glasgow to Edinburgh line. (These tracks are among those that use 50,000
>> signaling track circuits controlled by electricity between rails.)"
>>

>"We found that space weather events, capable of triggering faults in these
>track circuits, are expected in the U.K. every few decades."

Are we still using voltages between the rails as track circuits on the main
lines? Surely by now they're using some kind of digital code!

Re: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety by glitching railroad signals

<uli4ec$20ii6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72104&group=uk.railway#72104

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
glitching railroad signals
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 18:03:56 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:mWtkYJlTOyMFlWgXjTEaI8FnUjg=
 by: Sam Wilson - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 18:03 UTC

JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

> Solar storms could affect train safety by glitching railroad signals
> https://www.space.com/solar-storms-railroad-signal-train-safety
>
> "The study modeled two United Kingdom railroad routes via computer: the
> Preston to Lancaster section of the West Coast Main Line, and the
> Glasgow to Edinburgh line. (These tracks are among those that use 50,000
> signaling track circuits controlled by electricity between rails.)"

I can’t help think there might be a unit missing there - 50,000 track
circuits seems quite a hight number.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: SPACE.COM: Solar storms could affect train safety by

<m4opnil6kctp74plhjfoi7c4mcsea5m9vg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72132&group=uk.railway#72132

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2023 23:26:47 +0000
 by: Recliner - Fri, 15 Dec 2023 23:26 UTC

On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:45:09 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Dec 2023 16:29:32 GMT
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Solar storms could affect train safety by glitching railroad signals
>>> https://www.space.com/solar-storms-railroad-signal-train-safety
>>>
>>> "The study modeled two United Kingdom railroad routes via computer: the
>>> Preston to Lancaster section of the West Coast Main Line, and the
>>> Glasgow to Edinburgh line. (These tracks are among those that use 50,000
>>> signaling track circuits controlled by electricity between rails.)"
>>>

>>"We found that space weather events, capable of triggering faults in these
>>track circuits, are expected in the U.K. every few decades."
>
>Are we still using voltages between the rails as track circuits on the main
>lines? Surely by now they're using some kind of digital code!

Axle counters are gradually replacing track circuits, but they're not without problems, either.