Tehee quod she, and clapte the wyndow to. -- Geoffrey Chaucer

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

SubjectAuthor
* Collecting prebooked tickets.Graham Harrison
+* Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.Peter Johnson
|+* Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.Sam Wilson
||`* Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.Coffee
|| `- Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.Lew1
|`* Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.Roland Perry
| `* Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.Coffee
|  `- Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.Roland Perry
`* Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.Roland Perry
 `* Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.Lew1
  `- Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.Laurence Taylor

1
Collecting prebooked tickets.

<v2g0oi9hekunsrl8ab4gfqos3mlbre5nkb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72323&group=uk.railway#72323

From: edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com (Graham Harrison)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Collecting prebooked tickets.
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 12:56:33 +0000
 by: Graham Harrison - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 12:56 UTC

Some years ago I recall a discussion about collecting prebooked
tickets from machines and whether you could go to a station you did
not nominate when completing the online transaction.

I don't recall a definitive answer.

Yesterday (Sunday) I made a booking and nominated Castle Cary. When I
went to collect it a couple of hours later the screen of the one and
only machine at Castle Cary told me it was not working. The ticket
office was (is) closed all day Sunday.

This morning (Monday) I stopped at Templecombe and collected the
ticket from the machine there.

A simple report, nothing more.

Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

<l0i0oitba36ueqg6uvc5mb98pq5eu2b4mu@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72329&group=uk.railway#72329

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 13:26:30 +0000
 by: Peter Johnson - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 13:26 UTC

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 12:56:33 +0000, Graham Harrison
<edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Some years ago I recall a discussion about collecting prebooked
>tickets from machines and whether you could go to a station you did
>not nominate when completing the online transaction.
>
>I don't recall a definitive answer.
>
>Yesterday (Sunday) I made a booking and nominated Castle Cary. When I
>went to collect it a couple of hours later the screen of the one and
>only machine at Castle Cary told me it was not working. The ticket
>office was (is) closed all day Sunday.
>
>This morning (Monday) I stopped at Templecombe and collected the
>ticket from the machine there.
>
>A simple report, nothing more.

I don't remember the previous thread but I think it's always been the
case that tickets don't have to be collected from the nominated
station. The same as you don't have to use the credit card used to
make the purchase when collecting tickets.

Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

<ulpiv3$3h7oa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72330&group=uk.railway#72330

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 13:54:43 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:hZ6HVr/Ox6fVK5jK5CuXPU8y9mY=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 13:54 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 12:56:33 +0000, Graham Harrison
> <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>> Some years ago I recall a discussion about collecting prebooked
>> tickets from machines and whether you could go to a station you did
>> not nominate when completing the online transaction.
>>
>> I don't recall a definitive answer.
>>
>> Yesterday (Sunday) I made a booking and nominated Castle Cary. When I
>> went to collect it a couple of hours later the screen of the one and
>> only machine at Castle Cary told me it was not working. The ticket
>> office was (is) closed all day Sunday.
>>
>> This morning (Monday) I stopped at Templecombe and collected the
>> ticket from the machine there.
>>
>> A simple report, nothing more.
>
> I don't remember the previous thread but I think it's always been the
> case that tickets don't have to be collected from the nominated
> station. The same as you don't have to use the credit card used to
> make the purchase when collecting tickets.

I think the credit card thing has been tightened up - it was ambiguous for
a while - but the feeling here was that having to nominate a collection
station was to make sure you were going to one that did actually have a
ticket machine.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

<ulplns$3hjp2$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72333&group=uk.railway#72333

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:42:04 +0000
 by: Coffee - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:42 UTC

On 18/12/2023 13:54, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 12:56:33 +0000, Graham Harrison
>> <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Some years ago I recall a discussion about collecting prebooked
>>> tickets from machines and whether you could go to a station you did
>>> not nominate when completing the online transaction.
>>>
>>> I don't recall a definitive answer.
>>>
>>> Yesterday (Sunday) I made a booking and nominated Castle Cary. When I
>>> went to collect it a couple of hours later the screen of the one and
>>> only machine at Castle Cary told me it was not working. The ticket
>>> office was (is) closed all day Sunday.
>>>
>>> This morning (Monday) I stopped at Templecombe and collected the
>>> ticket from the machine there.
>>>
>>> A simple report, nothing more.
>>
>> I don't remember the previous thread but I think it's always been the
>> case that tickets don't have to be collected from the nominated
>> station. The same as you don't have to use the credit card used to
>> make the purchase when collecting tickets.
>
> I think the credit card thing has been tightened up - it was ambiguous for
> a while - but the feeling here was that having to nominate a collection
> station was to make sure you were going to one that did actually have a
> ticket machine.

The credit card thing has been tightened up and my local TfW ticket
machine only allows the original purchasing card.

Gone are the days when a Clubcard was satisfactory.

Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

<oGM65eBYqFglFALY@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72334&group=uk.railway#72334

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:43:36 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:43 UTC

In message <v2g0oi9hekunsrl8ab4gfqos3mlbre5nkb@4ax.com>, at 12:56:33 on
Mon, 18 Dec 2023, Graham Harrison <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com>
remarked:
>Some years ago I recall a discussion about collecting prebooked
>tickets from machines and whether you could go to a station you did
>not nominate when completing the online transaction.
>
>I don't recall a definitive answer.
>
>Yesterday (Sunday) I made a booking and nominated Castle Cary. When I
>went to collect it a couple of hours later the screen of the one and
>only machine at Castle Cary told me it was not working. The ticket
>office was (is) closed all day Sunday.
>
>This morning (Monday) I stopped at Templecombe and collected the
>ticket from the machine there.
>
>A simple report, nothing more.

I think it was always the case you collect them from any station with a
TVM, the reason for asking you "which?" was so they could say "sorry, no
TVM, so try again".
--
Roland Perry

Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

<hWS4d9BhrFglFArt@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72335&group=uk.railway#72335

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:44:49 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:44 UTC

In message <l0i0oitba36ueqg6uvc5mb98pq5eu2b4mu@4ax.com>, at 13:26:30 on
Mon, 18 Dec 2023, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> remarked:
>On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 12:56:33 +0000, Graham Harrison
><edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>Some years ago I recall a discussion about collecting prebooked
>>tickets from machines and whether you could go to a station you did
>>not nominate when completing the online transaction.
>>
>>I don't recall a definitive answer.
>>
>>Yesterday (Sunday) I made a booking and nominated Castle Cary. When I
>>went to collect it a couple of hours later the screen of the one and
>>only machine at Castle Cary told me it was not working. The ticket
>>office was (is) closed all day Sunday.
>>
>>This morning (Monday) I stopped at Templecombe and collected the
>>ticket from the machine there.
>>
>>A simple report, nothing more.
>
>I don't remember the previous thread but I think it's always been the
>case that tickets don't have to be collected from the nominated
>station. The same as you don't have to use the credit card used to
>make the purchase when collecting tickets.

I once collected tickets using a Tesco Loyalty card. I think all they
wanted was something with a machine-readable name on the mag-stripe.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

<ulpm8p$3hjp2$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72336&group=uk.railway#72336

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:51:05 +0000
 by: Coffee - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 14:51 UTC

On 18/12/2023 14:44, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <l0i0oitba36ueqg6uvc5mb98pq5eu2b4mu@4ax.com>, at 13:26:30 on
> Mon, 18 Dec 2023, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> remarked:
>> On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 12:56:33 +0000, Graham Harrison
>> <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Some years ago I recall a discussion about collecting prebooked
>>> tickets from machines and whether you could go to a station you did
>>> not nominate when completing the online transaction.
>>>
>>> I don't recall a definitive answer.
>>>
>>> Yesterday (Sunday) I made a booking and nominated Castle Cary. When I
>>> went to collect it a couple of hours later the screen of the one and
>>> only machine at Castle Cary told me it was not working. The ticket
>>> office was (is) closed all day Sunday.
>>>
>>> This morning (Monday) I stopped at Templecombe and collected the
>>> ticket from the machine there.
>>>
>>> A simple report, nothing more.
>>
>> I don't remember the previous thread but I think it's always been the
>> case that tickets don't have to be collected from the nominated
>> station. The same as you don't have to use the credit card used to
>> make the purchase when collecting tickets.
>
> I once collected tickets using a Tesco Loyalty card. I think all they
> wanted was something with a machine-readable name on the mag-stripe.

Only once?

I regularly used mine. It took the machine off line the last time I tried.

Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

<ulpv97$3jnej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72357&group=uk.railway#72357

From: email@nowhere.com (Lew1)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 17:24:55 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:ml/lF8x5rDfTEUgZTPioDfCwRz8=
 by: Lew1 - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 17:24 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 18/12/2023 13:54, Sam Wilson wrote:
>> Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:

>>> I don't remember the previous thread but I think it's always been the
>>> case that tickets don't have to be collected from the nominated
>>> station. The same as you don't have to use the credit card used to
>>> make the purchase when collecting tickets.
>>
>> I think the credit card thing has been tightened up - it was ambiguous for
>> a while - but the feeling here was that having to nominate a collection
>> station was to make sure you were going to one that did actually have a
>> ticket machine.
>
> The credit card thing has been tightened up and my local TfW ticket
> machine only allows the original purchasing card.
>
> Gone are the days when a Clubcard was satisfactory.

Not in all cases.

Many online retailers allow payment by PayPal / Apple Pay or similar, which
have no card associated with them. These still slow you to use any card to
collect - even on TfW machines.

Lew

Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

<ulpvcq$3jo73$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72359&group=uk.railway#72359

From: email@nowhere.com (Lew1)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 17:26:50 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:wOjfwjpSx9b9bKpbEqaWDqBKSBY=
 by: Lew1 - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 17:26 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <v2g0oi9hekunsrl8ab4gfqos3mlbre5nkb@4ax.com>, at 12:56:33 on
> Mon, 18 Dec 2023, Graham Harrison <edward.harrisom.one@btinternet.com>
> remarked:
>> Some years ago I recall a discussion about collecting prebooked
>> tickets from machines and whether you could go to a station you did
>> not nominate when completing the online transaction.
>>
>> I don't recall a definitive answer.
>>
>> Yesterday (Sunday) I made a booking and nominated Castle Cary. When I
>> went to collect it a couple of hours later the screen of the one and
>> only machine at Castle Cary told me it was not working. The ticket
>> office was (is) closed all day Sunday.
>>
>> This morning (Monday) I stopped at Templecombe and collected the
>> ticket from the machine there.
>>
>> A simple report, nothing more.
>
> I think it was always the case you collect them from any station with a
> TVM, the reason for asking you "which?" was so they could say "sorry, no
> TVM, so try again".

Not in all cases. You can select Merseyrail stations for collection but
they have no machines. Collection is via the ticket office.

Lew

Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

<tLXrK8H0HJglFArN@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72365&group=uk.railway#72365

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:39:48 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 18 Dec 2023 18:39 UTC

In message <ulpm8p$3hjp2$3@dont-email.me>, at 14:51:05 on Mon, 18 Dec
2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>On 18/12/2023 14:44, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <l0i0oitba36ueqg6uvc5mb98pq5eu2b4mu@4ax.com>, at 13:26:30
>>on Mon, 18 Dec 2023, Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam>
>>remarked:

>>> I don't remember the previous thread but I think it's always been the
>>> case that tickets don't have to be collected from the nominated
>>> station. The same as you don't have to use the credit card used to
>>> make the purchase when collecting tickets.

>> I once collected tickets using a Tesco Loyalty card. I think all
>>they wanted was something with a machine-readable name on the
>>mag-stripe.
>
>Only once?

Yes, it was a special mystery shopping exercise. I wouldn't normally
have a Tesco Loyalty card with me.

>I regularly used mine. It took the machine off line the last time I tried.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Collecting prebooked tickets.

<fQ6dnXB2x-Fh2Br4nZ2dnZfqn_idnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72908&group=uk.railway#72908

Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 20:41:35 +0000
From: laurence@nospam.plus.com (Laurence Taylor)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
 by: Laurence Taylor - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 20:41 UTC

On 18/12/2023 17:26, Lew1 wrote:

> Not in all cases. You can select Merseyrail stations for collection but
> they have no machines. Collection is via the ticket office.

I recently tried to collect some pre-purchased tickets from my local
ticket office (Southern) and the attendant said I had to use the machine.

--
rgds
LAurence

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?
~~~ Random (signature) 1.6.1