From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: Cruising into trouble
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 13:09:31 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 13:09 UTC

In message <uc6uu1$3c9n3$1@dont-email.me>, at 06:56:01 on Thu, 24 Aug
2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Those needing to merge where the cones start have probably already
>>> passed a couple of miles of "lane closed" signs on a motorway.
>>
>> In which case there wouldn't be a "merge in turn", that would usually be
>> shortly before the closed section, never after it.
>
>I have sometimes seen "Use Both Lanes" signs before a lane closure.

I'm never sure how to do that. Zigzag from side to side?

>They’re usually ignored, leaving up to a mile of empty lane before
the >restriction, unused except by a very few who risk the Hard Stares
from the people in the queue.

I drove on a motorway the other week. Probably the M25, for several
miles past where there were "Lane closed" signs on the gantries. Which
the majority of traffic was ignoring completely.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Cruising into trouble

<umcbf9$33i70$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72996&group=uk.railway#72996

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 16:43:21 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 16:43 UTC

On 24/12/2023 13:09, Roland Perry wrote:
> I drove on a motorway the other week. Probably the M25, for several
> miles past where there were "Lane closed" signs on the gantries. Which
> the majority of traffic was ignoring completely.

From the TV reality series on National Highways, and traffic police,
they do seem to book some of those ignoring the signs. They are often
nearly hit whilst putting cones out.

Those programmes show how dangerous the Killer Motorways are. The
National Highways and police know it but seem to be forbidden from
making any comments about it on the programmes.

Re: OT: Cruising into trouble

<umcc51$33pca$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72997&group=uk.railway#72997

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2023 16:54:57 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 25 Dec 2023 16:54 UTC

On Mon, 25 Dec 2023 16:43:21 +0000
JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>On 24/12/2023 13:09, Roland Perry wrote:
>> I drove on a motorway the other week. Probably the M25, for several
>> miles past where there were "Lane closed" signs on the gantries. Which
>> the majority of traffic was ignoring completely.
>

> From the TV reality series on National Highways, and traffic police,
>they do seem to book some of those ignoring the signs. They are often
>nearly hit whilst putting cones out.
>
>Those programmes show how dangerous the Killer Motorways are. The
>National Highways and police know it but seem to be forbidden from
>making any comments about it on the programmes.

Perhaps they should use a continental style method of working whereby they
only close off the part of the road they're working on. Here they literally
close off miles and miles and miles and miles and miles of road without a sod
doing anything on it. Then they wonder why drivers get aggressive with the
workers. On the M1 the other year when it was being upgraded they closed off
lanes for something like 20 miles!

Re: OT: Cruising into trouble

<1sa7pidp8lth5eeiq1rhpfe4l6f3ubgeje@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73624&group=uk.railway#73624

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 06:23:12 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 06:23 UTC

On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 13:09:31 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <uc6uu1$3c9n3$1@dont-email.me>, at 06:56:01 on Thu, 24 Aug
>2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> In which case there wouldn't be a "merge in turn", that would usually be
>>> shortly before the closed section, never after it.
>>
> >I have sometimes seen "Use Both Lanes" signs before a lane closure.
>
>I'm never sure how to do that. Zigzag from side to side?

Drive astride the lane markings as the idiots on the A40 in West
London do when they are not hogging lane 2 alone.
<snip>

Re: OT: Cruising into trouble

<un12l6$2n7fo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73658&group=uk.railway#73658

From: Certes@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 13:21:42 +0000
 by: Certes - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 13:21 UTC

On 02/01/2024 06:23, Charles Ellson wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 13:09:31 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <uc6uu1$3c9n3$1@dont-email.me>, at 06:56:01 on Thu, 24 Aug
>> 2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> I have sometimes seen "Use Both Lanes" signs before a lane closure.
>>
>> I'm never sure how to do that. Zigzag from side to side?
>>
> Drive astride the lane markings as the idiots on the A40 in West
> London do when they are not hogging lane 2 alone.
> <snip>

It can be the right move when driving something very wide, or moderately
wide on a sharp bend. I've even done it in a car when alone on a very
windy road, so I wouldn't hit anything if a gust blew me off course.

Re: OT: Cruising into trouble

<a079pi1hn7lmpivlphcstt1jeuufo7c2cg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73693&group=uk.railway#73693

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 23:44:01 +0000
References: <uc21i2$2ca0v$5@dont-email.me> <uc23fk$2ch2o$1@dont-email.me> <akr9ei9pj6k703n72mf4hklkc2mn2pl124@4ax.com> <kkkjj8Fk2rhU1@mid.individual.net> <0cebei9anffub865h59kdgf787fbrsu20j@4ax.com> <uc4f30$2rh57$1@dont-email.me> <uc4j8f$2s7ba$1@dont-email.me> <a9uceitkjgeocir0ld2q45adjihpob2q4j@4ax.com> <uc61rr$2vhib$2@dont-email.me> <uc6uu1$3c9n3$1@dont-email.me> <g1KIVPQL2CilFApi@perry.uk> <1sa7pidp8lth5eeiq1rhpfe4l6f3ubgeje@4ax.com> <un12l6$2n7fo$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Charles Ellson - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 23:44 UTC

On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 13:21:42 +0000, Certes <Certes@example.org> wrote:

>On 02/01/2024 06:23, Charles Ellson wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Dec 2023 13:09:31 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <uc6uu1$3c9n3$1@dont-email.me>, at 06:56:01 on Thu, 24 Aug
>>> 2023, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:

>>> I'm never sure how to do that. Zigzag from side to side?
>>>
>> Drive astride the lane markings as the idiots on the A40 in West
>> London do when they are not hogging lane 2 alone.
>> <snip>
>
>It can be the right move when driving something very wide,

NA to a chav wagon or family car. The last one to use all lanes on
this bit killed his passenger, lost a leg and is now doing 7 years.
Lorries and similar are a different proposition.

>or moderately wide on a sharp bend.

6 lane A40? The bends on this 40mph stretch are only "sharp" if you
are in a Range Rover (bad start already, apparently) doing over a ton
(see previous and above).

>I've even done it in a car when alone on a very
>windy road, so I wouldn't hit anything if a gust blew me off course.

Even then you can still get hit by a random heavier gust so slowing
down and letting the kamikaze club go whizzing past seems to work
best.