love, v.: I'll let you play with my life if you'll let me play with yours.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

SubjectAuthor
* BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safetyJMB99
`* Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High CourtSam Wilson
 +- Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court doorJMB99
 `* Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High CourtDave Roya
  +* Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High CourtRecliner
> [...]
  | |   | |`- Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challengeRoland Perry
  | |   | `* Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challengeRoland Perry
  | |   |  `* Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challengeScott
  | |   |   `* Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High CourtTweed
  | |   |    +* Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court doorAlan Lee
  | |   |    |`- Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challengeScott
  | |   |    `- Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High CourtMarland
  | |   `- Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High CourtRecliner
  | `- Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court doorGraeme Wall
  `- Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High CourtSam Wilson

Pages:12
Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<um7mos$284f5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72916&group=uk.railway#72916

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court
door safety challenge
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2023 22:25:32 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:D4ymZrEwSmzjFZGkUqdK0wxI7v8=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sat, 23 Dec 2023 22:25 UTC

Dave Royal <dave@dave123royal.com> wrote:
> On 22 Dec 2023 19:20:03 -0000 (UTC) Sam Wilson wrote:
>>

>> Yes - see thread titled WCRC claim fails.
>>
>> Sam
>>
> But unlike that thread, this one says what it's about rather than
> expecting us to follow a link.

Hmm. I didn’t start that thread but I thought the Subject of the other one
was very clear, especially since there had been discussion about the issue
here recently.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<LB6CYjIIWAilFAO5@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72920&group=uk.railway#72920

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:18:48 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:18 UTC

In message <um8umu$2h0ms$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:47:09 on Sun, 24 Dec
2023, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:

>>> Claimant’s estimate, from £360,000 - £1,800,000 to operate the requisite
>>> number of daily services.

>> £360k per service is a useful data point.
>>
>>> The ORR’s upper estimate was £1,393,920 to fit out 4 trains for
>>>daily use, based on information from Network Rail that it was not
>>>aware of a heritage train operator running more than 4 services a day.
>>>
>>> 81. In witness evidence, a representative of the Claimant explained that
>>> the company has 101,429 passenger journeys on the Jacobite line which
>>> generates £4.7 million in fare income and £5.7 million in turnover per
>>> annum.

>> See my earlier posting on the back of an envelope. Presumably the
>>extra £1m is sales in the buffet car?
>>
>>> The average return ticket is £46.58

>> That doesn't compute because currently they are quoting £65 for a
>>standard day-return, more for first-class. Or are they selling a quite
>>a lot through agencies which take a handsome commission?
>>
>>> and the average profit is £1 million per annum. It is apparent that
>>>a modest rise in fares, in circumstances where the Court was told
>>>that the Claimant has a monopoly and a relatively price-insensitive
>>>customer demographic, ought to enable the Claimant to meet the cost
>>>of fitting central door locking in a phased manner. A £10 increase
>>>in the fare for the Jacobite service would generate approximately an
>>>additional £1million per annum in revenue with no additional
>>>overheads. The ORR has explained to the Court that it is not averse
>>>to a transition timetable for fitting CDL because it does not want
>>>to end the heritage train services.

>> I'm beginning to lose sympathy with WCR, who seem to be over-egging
>>the situation.
>
>WSR will also need spare rolling stock and locomotives plus one or two
>diesels at Fort William. They probably have at least five train crew
>and a whole fleet of support staff there who have to be housed. It's
>not a cheap operation.

I'm aware that B&B in Fort William seems extraordinarily expensive (we
paid getting on for £200 to stay one night in the Premier Inn midweek
in September, and that didn't even include breakfast). But surely that's
just part of their £360k/day?
--
Roland Perry

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<Dx7AE7IPYAilFAM5@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72921&group=uk.railway#72921

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:21:03 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:21 UTC

In message <um8v7v$2h6ve$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:56:16 on Sun, 24 Dec
2023, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I'm beginning to lose sympathy with WCR, who seem to be over-egging the
>>> situation.
>>
>> WSR will also need spare rolling stock and locomotives plus one or two
>> diesels at Fort William. They probably have at least five train crew and
>> a whole fleet of support staff there who have to be housed. It's not a
>> cheap operation.
>
>But makes £1m *profit* per year.

That's not especially excessive given the turnover.
--
Roland Perry

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<um91dc$2hhln$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72922&group=uk.railway#72922

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
door safety challenge
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:33:16 -0000 (UTC)
<NMaTbrAHS$hlFAnD@perry.uk>
<um8umu$2h0ms$1@dont-email.me>
<um8v7v$2h6ve$1@dont-email.me>
<Dx7AE7IPYAilFAM5@perry.uk>
sha1:KsSFP/lyxyus1lPQDSsu5Oxhmgs=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:33 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <um8v7v$2h6ve$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:56:16 on Sun, 24 Dec
> 2023, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> WSR will also need spare rolling stock and locomotives plus one or two
>>> diesels at Fort William. They probably have at least five train crew and
>>> a whole fleet of support staff there who have to be housed. It's not a
>>> cheap operation.
>>
>> But makes £1m *profit* per year.
>
> That's not especially excessive given the turnover.

I’m not claiming it is, I was simply pointing out that the crew costs etc
are already well covered.
As a side note, the important thing is the profit vs the capital employed.
Turnover is a side issue.

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<RCR0oVPkxCilFAMQ@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72941&group=uk.railway#72941

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 13:04:36 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 13:04 UTC

In message <um91dc$2hhln$1@dont-email.me>, at 10:33:16 on Sun, 24 Dec
2023, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <um8v7v$2h6ve$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:56:16 on Sun, 24 Dec
>> 2023, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> But makes £1m *profit* per year.
>>
>> That's not especially excessive given the turnover.
>
>I’m not claiming it is, I was simply pointing out that the crew costs etc
>are already well covered.

Yes, in the £360k-a-train costs.

>As a side note, the important thing is the profit vs the capital employed.
>Turnover is a side issue.

MSM always concentrates on profit as a percentage of turnover.

Perhaps because if you are making "only" 6.4% [straw poll, Tesco] if
your turnover falls noticeably, your costs for things which capital is
employed on (like shops), doesn't reduce much. Most of the stock
"belongs" to the suppliers, which helps though.
--
Roland Perry

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<ecZhN.14168$Do46.11888@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72967&group=uk.railway#72967

Newsgroups: uk.railway
door safety challenge
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:42:50 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:42 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <um6iuu$227n3$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:14:22 on Sat, 23 Dec
> 2023, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> remarked:
>
>>> As far as I can see, they suggest the cost is externalised, by
>>> raising fares. I'm unsighted as to how many passenger-trips they do
>>> each year, but if you tell us, we could begin to calculate the impact.
>>
>> According to latest issue of Railway Magazine.
>>
>> "750 people travel on the service per day in the peak season"
>
> Seems quite a lot, what would we expect a LHCS to seat?

64 seats in std, 42 in First in a Mk 1.

> When I saw it in September, it had six carriages, with the front one off
> the platform at at Mallaig, hence the need for some of the door-control
> procedures; some photos show it with as few as four or as many as
> seven). The agreement with network Rail allows up to seven cars, apart
> from Saturdays in the peaks when one of the two trains a day is limited
> to six.
>
> Anyway, with two trains a day[1] in the peak season, that's 375 per
> train. And there are (if we assume 6-car trains in the peaks, 4 car
> off-peak a total of 333 equivalent 6-car services a year.
>
> I see it's priced at £65 Standard (next year, return fares only), so
> with 80% load factor that's £6.5m, from which subtract the operating
> costs, track access charges etc.
>
> Plus a bit because there's some First Class, and various other charges
> for special seating arrangements. There's not premium, or discount, for
> booking a whole compartment.
>
> [1] It runs daily from March to October, twice daily from May to
> September.

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<gcZhN.14169$Do46.11502@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72968&group=uk.railway#72968

Newsgroups: uk.railway
door safety challenge
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:42:52 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 16:42 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <1kIhN.46631$i529.10610@fx12.ams1>, at 21:30:37 on Sat, 23
> Dec 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> Laurence Taylor <laurence@nospam.plus.com> wrote:

>>> What is actually involved in fitting CDL? That seems a lot of money for
>>> fitting electrically-operated bolts and/or modifying door catches.
>>
>> The doors and frames will all need modifying, with some sort of override
>> panel fitted to each. There will need to be sensors to confirm the lock or
>> release, with signals passed to the guard and driver. The carriages will
>> need to cabled up, with the lock and confirmation signals passing along the
>> train. The system will need power (in carriages without a reliable power
>> supply),
>
> Tell me about it. perhaps four years ago we went on one of their
> railtours, to the York Xmas Fair I think. and we travelled in the
> standard class accommodation in 'the other half' of the buffet car.
>
> Soon after we left York on the way back, the electrical power in that
> carriage failed, and we were moved to some empty seats in the adjacent
> First Class (not fine-dining) carriage. Sadly the whole experience has
> somewhat put SWMBO off doing railtours at all.
>
> But I've twisted her arm, stumped up for fine-dining, and booked three
> since then. Even more sadly, all were subsequently cancelled (mainly due
> to RMT strike action). I used the cash to buy a week's FC Rover, and we
> went to Scotland and back (see various recent, probably getting a bit
> boring now, postings).
>
> 2/3 of the way round, we arrived at Mallaig on the ferry from Skye (£60
> taxi from Kyle to Armadale, don't believe the bloggers who say get a bus
> - there's only one per day), and The Jacobite was on the adjacent
> platform scheduled to leave about half an hour after our Scotrail.
>
> In retrospect I should have negotiated with the staff to sell us a
> single ticket (which they claim doesn't exist); like the ferry, it was
> pretty lightly loaded on that Wednesday afternoon in mid September. The
> Scotrail train only had standard accommodation, of course.

I recent years I've travelled one-way first class on the Jacobite in both
directions (different years). Lots of people travel on it in conjunction
with the Skye ferry, so that's a perfectly normal trip.

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<pya6UndLlGilFAI4@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72970&group=uk.railway#72970

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 17:24:27 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 17:24 UTC

In message <ecZhN.14168$Do46.11888@fx08.ams1>, at 16:42:50 on Sun, 24
Dec 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <um6iuu$227n3$1@dont-email.me>, at 12:14:22 on Sat, 23 Dec
>> 2023, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> remarked:

>>> According to latest issue of Railway Magazine.
>>>
>>> "750 people travel on the service per day in the peak season"
>>
>> Seems quite a lot, what would we expect a LHCS to seat?
>
>64 seats in std, 42 in First in a Mk 1.

So with a 6-car train, two carriages of FC, that'd be 256+82=338, a
little shy of 750/2

--
Roland Perry

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<diZ3gTeGsGilFAv3@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=72971&group=uk.railway#72971

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2023 17:31:50 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 24 Dec 2023 17:31 UTC

In message <NoZTiTWJ8+hlFA1+@perry.uk>, at 08:42:49 on Sun, 24 Dec 2023,
Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> remarked:
>>> What is actually involved in fitting CDL? That seems a lot of money for
>>> fitting electrically-operated bolts and/or modifying door catches.
>>
>>The doors and frames will all need modifying, with some sort of override
>>panel fitted to each. There will need to be sensors to confirm the lock or
>>release, with signals passed to the guard and driver. The carriages will
>>need to cabled up, with the lock and confirmation signals passing along the
>>train. The system will need power (in carriages without a reliable power
>>supply),
>
>Tell me about it. perhaps four years ago we went on one of their
>railtours, to the York Xmas Fair I think. and we travelled in the
>standard class accommodation in 'the other half' of the buffet car.
>
>Soon after we left York on the way back, the electrical power in that
>carriage failed, and we were moved to some empty seats in the adjacent
>First Class (not fine-dining) carriage.

And out of the blue, Facebook reminds me it was seven years ago, trip on
21st Dec, photos posted 24th Dec.
--
Roland Perry

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<umgq6r$3scal$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73050&group=uk.railway#73050

From: anna@noyd-dryver.com (Anna Noyd-Dryver)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
door safety challenge
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:19:23 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Pw4IpsR2Z6Y3+utCqTOVEcC8aEk=
 by: Anna Noyd-Dryver - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 09:19 UTC

Laurence Taylor <laurence@nospam.plus.com> wrote:
> On 23/12/2023 11:37, Roland Perry wrote:
>
>> And WCR claim fitting the equipment would cost £5m. If you think you can
>> do it for substantially less, then maybe you should put in a bid.
>
> What is actually involved in fitting CDL? That seems a lot of money for
> fitting electrically-operated bolts and/or modifying door catches.

The costs actually seem to be around £26-30,000 per carriage, each with 4-6
doors, so around £5k per door.

BR's 1990s system fitted to Mk 2/3 stock uses air-operated locking bolts at
the top of the door - not so convenient on a train with vacuum brakes!

I believe Hastings Diesels (HDL) use some kind of a mechanical system but
I'm not clear on the details.

The most common system for Mk 1 -style doors is a magnetic system fitted at
the bottom of the door - used on ATW/CT bubble car DMUs, SWT EMUs on the
Lymington branch, Swanage Railway DMU for services to Wareham, and perhaps
others.

In addition to the mechanism fitted to each door, you will need an
indicator light on the bodyside of each vehicle, external and internal
override switches (how many?), two jumper sockets and some cabling to join
them all together. Presumably there will also be a battery and a control
unit on each vehicle too. As for control panels, the mainline convention is
two panels per vehicle on opposite corners (with a few exceptions);
however, if the WCRC stock will only ever call at stations long enough to
hold the whole train, i.e. no requirement for Selective Door Operation
(SDO), then it's possible that they might be able to have control panels in
the guard's vehicle only.

Anna Noyd-Dryver

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<XG$1JuAYJFjlFA1b@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73090&group=uk.railway#73090

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:35:36 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:35 UTC

In message <umgq6r$3scal$2@dont-email.me>, at 09:19:23 on Wed, 27 Dec
2023, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>The most common system for Mk 1 -style doors is a magnetic system fitted at
>the bottom of the door - used on ATW/CT bubble car DMUs, SWT EMUs on the
>Lymington branch, Swanage Railway DMU for services to Wareham, and perhaps
>others.
>
>In addition to the mechanism fitted to each door, you will need an
>indicator light on the bodyside of each vehicle, external and internal
>override switches (how many?), two jumper sockets and some cabling to join
>them all together. Presumably there will also be a battery and a control
>unit on each vehicle too. As for control panels, the mainline convention is
>two panels per vehicle on opposite corners (with a few exceptions);
>however, if the WCRC stock will only ever call at stations long enough to
>hold the whole train, i.e. no requirement for Selective Door Operation
>(SDO), then it's possible that they might be able to have control panels in
>the guard's vehicle only.

I already said the platforms at Mallaig need SDO for 7-car trains (and
quite likely the forward doors on the next carriage).
--
Roland Perry

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<cSYiN.63821$Sl64.41562@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73095&group=uk.railway#73095

Newsgroups: uk.railway
door safety challenge
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:08:24 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:08 UTC

Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> wrote:
> Laurence Taylor <laurence@nospam.plus.com> wrote:
>> On 23/12/2023 11:37, Roland Perry wrote:
>>
>>> And WCR claim fitting the equipment would cost £5m. If you think you can
>>> do it for substantially less, then maybe you should put in a bid.
>>
>> What is actually involved in fitting CDL? That seems a lot of money for
>> fitting electrically-operated bolts and/or modifying door catches.
>>

> The costs actually seem to be around £26-30,000 per carriage, each with 4-6
> doors, so around £5k per door.
>
> BR's 1990s system fitted to Mk 2/3 stock uses air-operated locking bolts at
> the top of the door - not so convenient on a train with vacuum brakes!
>
> I believe Hastings Diesels (HDL) use some kind of a mechanical system but
> I'm not clear on the details.
>
> The most common system for Mk 1 -style doors is a magnetic system fitted at
> the bottom of the door - used on ATW/CT bubble car DMUs, SWT EMUs on the
> Lymington branch, Swanage Railway DMU for services to Wareham, and perhaps
> others.
>
> In addition to the mechanism fitted to each door, you will need an
> indicator light on the bodyside of each vehicle, external and internal
> override switches (how many?), two jumper sockets and some cabling to join
> them all together. Presumably there will also be a battery and a control
> unit on each vehicle too. As for control panels, the mainline convention is
> two panels per vehicle on opposite corners (with a few exceptions);
> however, if the WCRC stock will only ever call at stations long enough to
> hold the whole train, i.e. no requirement for Selective Door Operation
> (SDO), then it's possible that they might be able to have control panels in
> the guard's vehicle only.

WCRC charters often serve stations with short platforms, so SDO would be a
requirement.

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<dgmooi99gslr5mqje5jh53vevqnt3jgkdm@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73096&group=uk.railway#73096

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:09:38 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:09 UTC

On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:35:36 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <umgq6r$3scal$2@dont-email.me>, at 09:19:23 on Wed, 27 Dec
>2023, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>
>>The most common system for Mk 1 -style doors is a magnetic system fitted at
>>the bottom of the door - used on ATW/CT bubble car DMUs, SWT EMUs on the
>>Lymington branch, Swanage Railway DMU for services to Wareham, and perhaps
>>others.
>>
>>In addition to the mechanism fitted to each door, you will need an
>>indicator light on the bodyside of each vehicle, external and internal
>>override switches (how many?), two jumper sockets and some cabling to join
>>them all together. Presumably there will also be a battery and a control
>>unit on each vehicle too. As for control panels, the mainline convention is
>>two panels per vehicle on opposite corners (with a few exceptions);
>>however, if the WCRC stock will only ever call at stations long enough to
>>hold the whole train, i.e. no requirement for Selective Door Operation
>>(SDO), then it's possible that they might be able to have control panels in
>>the guard's vehicle only.
>
>I already said the platforms at Mallaig need SDO for 7-car trains (and
>quite likely the forward doors on the next carriage).

Would there be a business case to change the maximum length of the
train to 6-car if this would result in significant savings in the cost
of modifications?

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<SbZiN.63822$Sl64.25878@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73101&group=uk.railway#73101

Newsgroups: uk.railway
door safety challenge
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
<dgmooi99gslr5mqje5jh53vevqnt3jgkdm@4ax.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:31:30 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 27 Dec 2023 17:31 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:35:36 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <umgq6r$3scal$2@dont-email.me>, at 09:19:23 on Wed, 27 Dec
>> 2023, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>>
>>> The most common system for Mk 1 -style doors is a magnetic system fitted at
>>> the bottom of the door - used on ATW/CT bubble car DMUs, SWT EMUs on the
>>> Lymington branch, Swanage Railway DMU for services to Wareham, and perhaps
>>> others.
>>>
>>> In addition to the mechanism fitted to each door, you will need an
>>> indicator light on the bodyside of each vehicle, external and internal
>>> override switches (how many?), two jumper sockets and some cabling to join
>>> them all together. Presumably there will also be a battery and a control
>>> unit on each vehicle too. As for control panels, the mainline convention is
>>> two panels per vehicle on opposite corners (with a few exceptions);
>>> however, if the WCRC stock will only ever call at stations long enough to
>>> hold the whole train, i.e. no requirement for Selective Door Operation
>>> (SDO), then it's possible that they might be able to have control panels in
>>> the guard's vehicle only.
>>
>> I already said the platforms at Mallaig need SDO for 7-car trains (and
>> quite likely the forward doors on the next carriage).
>
> Would there be a business case to change the maximum length of the
> train to 6-car if this would result in significant savings in the cost
> of modifications?

No, because WCRC charter trains often serve stations with relatively short
platforms that don't normally see full-length long distance trains. By the
time you have a steam loco, tender, support coach, staff coach, and kitchen
car, that's quite a length to add on to, say, 8-10 passenger/buffet
coaches.

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<EeDxPJOpzOjlFAHF@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73127&group=uk.railway#73127

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 03:35:05 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 03:35 UTC

In message <dgmooi99gslr5mqje5jh53vevqnt3jgkdm@4ax.com>, at 17:09:38 on
Wed, 27 Dec 2023, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:35:36 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <umgq6r$3scal$2@dont-email.me>, at 09:19:23 on Wed, 27 Dec
>>2023, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:
>>
>>>The most common system for Mk 1 -style doors is a magnetic system fitted at
>>>the bottom of the door - used on ATW/CT bubble car DMUs, SWT EMUs on the
>>>Lymington branch, Swanage Railway DMU for services to Wareham, and perhaps
>>>others.
>>>
>>>In addition to the mechanism fitted to each door, you will need an
>>>indicator light on the bodyside of each vehicle, external and internal
>>>override switches (how many?), two jumper sockets and some cabling to join
>>>them all together. Presumably there will also be a battery and a control
>>>unit on each vehicle too. As for control panels, the mainline convention is
>>>two panels per vehicle on opposite corners (with a few exceptions);
>>>however, if the WCRC stock will only ever call at stations long enough to
>>>hold the whole train, i.e. no requirement for Selective Door Operation
>>>(SDO), then it's possible that they might be able to have control panels in
>>>the guard's vehicle only.
>>
>>I already said the platforms at Mallaig need SDO for 7-car trains (and
>>quite likely the forward doors on the next carriage).
>
>Would there be a business case to change the maximum length of the
>train to 6-car if this would result in significant savings in the cost
>of modifications?

Seems unlikely as the reduction in capacity would cost a lot in reduced
fares revenue.

Also, it has a stop scheduled at Glenfinnian, and I don't off-hand know
the platform length there (or at Fort William).
--
Roland Perry

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<L+yyXhOv2OjlFAlx@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73128&group=uk.railway#73128

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 03:38:23 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 03:38 UTC

In message <SbZiN.63822$Sl64.25878@fx09.ams1>, at 17:31:30 on Wed, 27
Dec 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:35:36 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <umgq6r$3scal$2@dont-email.me>, at 09:19:23 on Wed, 27 Dec
>>> 2023, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>> I already said the platforms at Mallaig need SDO for 7-car trains (and
>>> quite likely the forward doors on the next carriage).
>>
>> Would there be a business case to change the maximum length of the
>> train to 6-car if this would result in significant savings in the cost
>> of modifications?
>
>No, because WCRC charter trains often serve stations with relatively short
>platforms that don't normally see full-length long distance trains. By the
>time you have a steam loco, tender, support coach, staff coach, and kitchen
>car, that's quite a length to add on to, say, 8-10 passenger/buffet
>coaches.

In the general case, yes. Ely has quite a long platform, but still has
charter trains which don't fit. Before the level crossing closed,
anyway, whose presence meant the loco/tender/staff_coach couldn't be off
the north end of the down platform.
--
Roland Perry

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<srfqoipthjk0t3ishc9cleaa126bf5gabk@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73151&group=uk.railway#73151

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 09:33:19 +0000
References: <um4ld6$1m1uc$1@dont-email.me> <um4nh2$1mcfk$1@dont-email.me> <um4s6t$1n1k8$1@dont-email.me> <9inhN.59967$aZie.33971@fx11.ams1> <I0AS1R4tZphlFAkR@perry.uk> <um67ta$20ius$1@dont-email.me> <5PVurUD6ZshlFAx1@perry.uk> <G3udnWt89YoE1hr4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <umgq6r$3scal$2@dont-email.me> <XG$1JuAYJFjlFA1b@perry.uk> <dgmooi99gslr5mqje5jh53vevqnt3jgkdm@4ax.com> <EeDxPJOpzOjlFAHF@perry.uk>
 by: Scott - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 09:33 UTC

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 03:35:05 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <dgmooi99gslr5mqje5jh53vevqnt3jgkdm@4ax.com>, at 17:09:38 on
>Wed, 27 Dec 2023, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>>On Wed, 27 Dec 2023 16:35:36 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In message <umgq6r$3scal$2@dont-email.me>, at 09:19:23 on Wed, 27 Dec
>>>2023, Anna Noyd-Dryver <anna@noyd-dryver.com> remarked:

>>>I already said the platforms at Mallaig need SDO for 7-car trains (and
>>>quite likely the forward doors on the next carriage).
>>
>>Would there be a business case to change the maximum length of the
>>train to 6-car if this would result in significant savings in the cost
>>of modifications?
>
>Seems unlikely as the reduction in capacity would cost a lot in reduced
>fares revenue.
>
>Also, it has a stop scheduled at Glenfinnian, and I don't off-hand know
>the platform length there (or at Fort William).

Plus I assume they would want the flexibility to use the same stock
elsewhere.

I assume next stage in proceedings would be the Supreme Court. Do you
- or does anyone here - expect it to reach this stage?

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<umjhmb$beog$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73157&group=uk.railway#73157

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
door safety challenge
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 10:12:27 -0000 (UTC)
<dgmooi99gslr5mqje5jh53vevqnt3jgkdm@4ax.com>
<EeDxPJOpzOjlFAHF@perry.uk>
<srfqoipthjk0t3ishc9cleaa126bf5gabk@4ax.com>
sha1:PfyoUJPlgVePJk3o/B947Cye1Ps=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 10:12 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 03:35:05 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <dgmooi99gslr5mqje5jh53vevqnt3jgkdm@4ax.com>, at 17:09:38 on
>> Wed, 27 Dec 2023, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Would there be a business case to change the maximum length of the
>>> train to 6-car if this would result in significant savings in the cost
>>> of modifications?
>>
>> Seems unlikely as the reduction in capacity would cost a lot in reduced
>> fares revenue.
>>
>> Also, it has a stop scheduled at Glenfinnian, and I don't off-hand know
>> the platform length there (or at Fort William).
>
> Plus I assume they would want the flexibility to use the same stock
> elsewhere.
>
> I assume next stage in proceedings would be the Supreme Court. Do you
> - or does anyone here - expect it to reach this stage?

Their legal fees must be approaching the cost of doing the work if they
take it any further.

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<umjj7i$blk0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73163&group=uk.railway#73163

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door
safety challenge
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 10:38:41 +0000
 by: Alan Lee - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 10:38 UTC

On 28/12/2023 10:12, Tweed wrote:
>> I assume next stage in proceedings would be the Supreme Court. Do you
>> - or does anyone here - expect it to reach this stage?
>>
> Their legal fees must be approaching the cost of doing the work if they
> take it any further.

Well, it appears from their submissions that their legal team are not
the sharpest ones out there, and any one with a bit of sense will
realise their case has nowhere else to go as it is so weak.

--
Remove the '+' and replace with 'plus' to reply by email

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<t9kqoihd8s66ea4jk17p6keu4lgt1hhk7f@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73165&group=uk.railway#73165

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 10:43:52 +0000
References: <um4nh2$1mcfk$1@dont-email.me> <um4s6t$1n1k8$1@dont-email.me> <9inhN.59967$aZie.33971@fx11.ams1> <I0AS1R4tZphlFAkR@perry.uk> <um67ta$20ius$1@dont-email.me> <5PVurUD6ZshlFAx1@perry.uk> <G3udnWt89YoE1hr4nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk> <umgq6r$3scal$2@dont-email.me> <XG$1JuAYJFjlFA1b@perry.uk> <dgmooi99gslr5mqje5jh53vevqnt3jgkdm@4ax.com> <EeDxPJOpzOjlFAHF@perry.uk> <srfqoipthjk0t3ishc9cleaa126bf5gabk@4ax.com> <umjhmb$beog$1@dont-email.me> <umjj7i$blk0$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Scott - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 10:43 UTC

On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 10:38:41 +0000, Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com>
wrote:

>On 28/12/2023 10:12, Tweed wrote:
>>> I assume next stage in proceedings would be the Supreme Court. Do you
>>> - or does anyone here - expect it to reach this stage?
>>>
>> Their legal fees must be approaching the cost of doing the work if they
>> take it any further.
>
>Well, it appears from their submissions that their legal team are not
>the sharpest ones out there, and any one with a bit of sense will
>realise their case has nowhere else to go as it is so weak.

Do you know if there will be an award of expenses in favour of ORR?

Re: BBC News: Harry Potter train operator loses High Court door safety challenge

<kv5i6qFsmvqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73204&group=uk.railway#73204

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
door safety challenge
Date: 28 Dec 2023 15:23:06 GMT
<dgmooi99gslr5mqje5jh53vevqnt3jgkdm@4ax.com>
<EeDxPJOpzOjlFAHF@perry.uk>
<srfqoipthjk0t3ishc9cleaa126bf5gabk@4ax.com>
<umjhmb$beog$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Marland - Thu, 28 Dec 2023 15:23 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Dec 2023 03:35:05 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <dgmooi99gslr5mqje5jh53vevqnt3jgkdm@4ax.com>, at 17:09:38 on
>>> Wed, 27 Dec 2023, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:

>>> Seems unlikely as the reduction in capacity would cost a lot in reduced
>>> fares revenue.
>>>
>>> Also, it has a stop scheduled at Glenfinnian, and I don't off-hand know
>>> the platform length there (or at Fort William).
>>
>> Plus I assume they would want the flexibility to use the same stock
>> elsewhere.
>>
>> I assume next stage in proceedings would be the Supreme Court. Do you
>> - or does anyone here - expect it to reach this stage?
>>

> Their legal fees must be approaching the cost of doing the work if they
> take it any further.

Especially considering the subject is about doors and will be an open or
shut case.

GH