From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: DART still out of service, for some reason
References: <uh19k9$1ua7s$1@dont-email.me> <s09ZWLU3vONlFAxk@perry.uk> <uh3eap$2g6mj$1@dont-email.me> <UPFlrohJbUNlFAUI@perry.uk> <uh3kf9$2hu1r$1@dont-email.me> <hUWYd8DHLnNlFAjW@perry.uk> <dyvZM.83454$pFl3.1290@fx05.ams1> <CkvQBGEhW2NlFAVc@perry.uk> <uh7v8s$3p30t$5@dont-email.me> <QtFEjkGJs$NlFAG3@perry.uk> <uh988a$5kl5$6@dont-email.me> <vc5bvPezZoPlFADe@perry.uk> <uhm324$3vsb1$5@dont-email.me> <Q3PkFK0oH5PlFAXu@perry.uk> <fWM%M.157249$6j55.110515@fx13.ams1> <mxtJkCKeTQQlFA4f@perry.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:46:39 +0000
 by: Recliner - Fri, 29 Dec 2023 16:46 UTC

On Tue, 31 Oct 2023 13:45:02 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <fWM%M.157249$6j55.110515@fx13.ams1>, at 12:01:15 on Mon, 30
>Oct 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <uhm324$3vsb1$5@dont-email.me>, at 16:59:48 on Sun, 29 Oct
>>> 2023, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Sure, and I've done that a couple of times recently with a wheelchair.
>>> But the lift is tiny, excruciatingly slow, and monopolised by people
>>> with trolley-bags who could just as easily use the stairs. From my
>>> recent experience, expect at least a 5min queue.
>>
>>I use the lift occasionally, when I have luggage. I've never had to wait
>>that long, nor have I ever seen a long queue as I walk past on the way to
>>the stairs.
>
>You need to visit more often then. It's frequently that long a queue.

Well, I used that lift yesterday, as I was transferring from e* to the Met with luggage. The tube and mainline stations
were very busy (two e* trains, the 9141 and 9043, had three minutes apart, and both sets of doors opened at once), but
there was hardly a queue for the lift down to the Met platforms.

>>As for speed, it's only descending about 3m (20 steps), so how fast do you
>>expect it to travel?
>
>Not take as long as it does. The door closing and opening sequence is
>excruciatingly slow. The actual decent is pretty slow, too.

I timed it yesterday: 11.5 seconds from doors closing to doors opening. It didn't seem particularly slow — perhaps you
think it should have taken only as long as, say, 8 seconds?

You must be used to the world's fastest lifts in Ely if you find that 'excruciatingly slow'.