From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Damaged Conductor Rail
Date: 2 Jan 2024 15:59:17 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 15:59 UTC

I know at least one of the correspondents on here champions 3rd rail over
overhead due to it generally being more robust. Just occasionally it does
fail though like this bit in the New Forest today.
<Rail damage causes Southampton and Bournemouth train disruption
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-67860985>

Must have been something reasonably conductive causing the current flow to
get the rail hot enough to distort so something more substantial than an
unfortunate Fox,Badger or someone from the North.

GH

Re: Damaged Conductor Rail

<un1cpk$2oqdr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73664&group=uk.railway#73664

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Damaged Conductor Rail
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:14:44 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:14 UTC

On 02/01/2024 15:59, Marland wrote:

> I know at least one of the correspondents on here champions 3rd rail over
> overhead due to it generally being more robust. Just occasionally it does
> fail though like this bit in the New Forest today.
> <Rail damage causes Southampton and Bournemouth train disruption
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-67860985>
>
> Must have been something reasonably conductive causing the current flow to
> get the rail hot enough to distort so something more substantial than an
> unfortunate Fox,Badger or someone from the North.

People from the north are more inflammable?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Damaged Conductor Rail

<un1dda$2ouaa$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73665&group=uk.railway#73665

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:25:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vORosUnvaTc3lNCzCsilRMaQXqc=
 by: Sam Wilson - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 16:25 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 02/01/2024 15:59, Marland wrote:
>>
>> I know at least one of the correspondents on here champions 3rd rail over
>> overhead due to it generally being more robust. Just occasionally it does
>> fail though like this bit in the New Forest today.
>> <Rail damage causes Southampton and Bournemouth train disruption
>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-67860985>
>>
>> Must have been something reasonably conductive causing the current flow to
>> get the rail hot enough to distort so something more substantial than an
>> unfortunate Fox,Badger or someone from the North.
>>

> People from the north are more inflammable?

More conductive.

Same

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Damaged Conductor Rail

<un1h4r$2pfl1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73677&group=uk.railway#73677

From: diverse@tcp.co.uk (N_Cook)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 17:28:59 +0000
 by: N_Cook - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 17:28 UTC

On 02/01/2024 15:59, Marland wrote:

> I know at least one of the correspondents on here champions 3rd rail over
> overhead due to it generally being more robust. Just occasionally it does
> fail though like this bit in the New Forest today.
> <Rail damage causes Southampton and Bournemouth train disruption
> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-67860985>
>
> Must have been something reasonably conductive causing the current flow to
> get the rail hot enough to distort so something more substantial than an
> unfortunate Fox,Badger or someone from the North.
>
> GH

Perhaps likle the so-called "trackside fire" I witnessed perhaps 8-10
years ago, St Denys, closed the BML line for half a day.
Trackside fire terminology neatly diverts blame away from rail operation.
I can only assume the causation was due to an engineering train.
It moved quickly 100 metres from the incident stopping under the
foottbridge I was crossing. Clouds of brown smoke coming from one of the
supply cables to a stub of third rail where there is a track points 100m
away.
I can only assume someone inspecting something there and litterally
dropped a spanner in the works perhaps while leaning over ,shorting the
supply.
Copious brown smoke was presumably the insulation heating up and after a
minute of that , the cable flared up intense white , presumably
aluminium conductors igniting like phosphorous welding. Then the supply
cable to the other end of stub rail ignited. That short stub third rail
was not replaced, you can still
see the induced wavy form along the rail from overheating presumably,
but not eough to replace.
In the meantime the engineering train buggered off , with another
engineering train on the Portsmouth spur line turning up to deal with
the situation . 2 engineering trains just 5 minutes apart, rather odd in
itself.

--
Global sea level rise to 2100 from curve-fitted existing altimetry data
<http://diverse.4mg.com/slr.htm>

Re: Damaged Conductor Rail

<kvj450Fd3sdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73679&group=uk.railway#73679

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 2 Jan 2024 18:49:04 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 18:49 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 02/01/2024 15:59, Marland wrote:
>>>
>>> I know at least one of the correspondents on here champions 3rd rail over
>>> overhead due to it generally being more robust. Just occasionally it does
>>> fail though like this bit in the New Forest today.
>>> <Rail damage causes Southampton and Bournemouth train disruption
>>> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-67860985>
>>>
>>> Must have been something reasonably conductive causing the current flow to
>>> get the rail hot enough to distort so something more substantial than an
>>> unfortunate Fox,Badger or someone from the North.
>>>

>> People from the north are more inflammable?
>
> More conductive.

Its the Tacks in their Clogs.

GH

Re: Damaged Conductor Rail

<vtg9pi9ledq8pblr1m9chvr7lfm4fk0pc8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73707&group=uk.railway#73707

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 02:21:24 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 02:21 UTC

On 2 Jan 2024 15:59:17 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>
wrote:

>I know at least one of the correspondents on here champions 3rd rail over
>overhead due to it generally being more robust. Just occasionally it does
>fail though like this bit in the New Forest today.
><Rail damage causes Southampton and Bournemouth train disruption
>https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-67860985>
>
>Must have been something reasonably conductive causing the current flow to
>get the rail hot enough to distort so something more substantial than an
>unfortunate Fox,Badger or someone from the North.

Perhaps a loose joint where a supply cable was attached to the
conductor rail? A resultant arc could cause a lot of damage including
destroying the attachment point.