Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

SubjectAuthor
* Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingRecliner
+* Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingTweed
|`- Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than EmpireMuttley
+* Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingGraeme Wall
|`* Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingSam Wilson
| +- Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingGraeme Wall
| +- Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingCharles Ellson
| `* Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingRecliner
|  `* Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingCoffee
|   `- Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingRecliner
`* Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingJMB99
 `- Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State BuildingKen

1
Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<vCBkN.60297$RCGb.44559@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73586&group=uk.railway#73586

Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2024 16:19:39 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:19 UTC

From
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/01/network-rail-pedestrian-bridge-empire-state-building/

One is a 102-storey giant regarded in its heyday as the eighth wonder of
the world, the other a prefabricated footbridge at the Princess of Wales’s
local railway station.

Yet the Empire State Building in New York took less time to build than
Network Rail is taking to complete a small pedestrian walkway on the London
to Bristol line.

Passengers have been left fuming at the interminably slow pace of work on
the bridge at Theale station near Reading in Berkshire, where the
Princess’s parents and siblings are often seen boarding trains to London.

Construction was already 10 years overdue when it began in January 2023 and
it is not expected to open until spring 2024. In contrast, the Empire State
Building, which was for decades the tallest building in the world, took
just one year and 45 days to complete.

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<umupeg$28vjv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73588&group=uk.railway#73588

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire
State Building
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:32:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:IBJDuEcysrRQVjJnfm9tuXOOjnc=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:32 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> From
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/01/network-rail-pedestrian-bridge-empire-state-building/
>
> One is a 102-storey giant regarded in its heyday as the eighth wonder of
> the world, the other a prefabricated footbridge at the Princess of Wales’s
> local railway station.
>
> Yet the Empire State Building in New York took less time to build than
> Network Rail is taking to complete a small pedestrian walkway on the London
> to Bristol line.
>
> Passengers have been left fuming at the interminably slow pace of work on
> the bridge at Theale station near Reading in Berkshire, where the
> Princess’s parents and siblings are often seen boarding trains to London.
>
> Construction was already 10 years overdue when it began in January 2023 and
> it is not expected to open until spring 2024. In contrast, the Empire State
> Building, which was for decades the tallest building in the world, took
> just one year and 45 days to complete.

Bridges seem to take an age. Round here road over bridges are being rebuilt
because of MML electrification. The closures are 4 to 6 months. They’ve had
total weekend blockades of the line several times over, so it’s not as
though they only have a couple of hours night time working available. In
contrast the construction of the OHLE is happening at a very fast rate.

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire

<umuptm$291pi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73590&group=uk.railway#73590

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:40:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:40 UTC

On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:32:16 -0000 (UTC)
Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> From
>>
>https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/01/network-rail-pedestrian-bridge-empi
>re-state-building/
>>
>> One is a 102-storey giant regarded in its heyday as the eighth wonder of
>> the world, the other a prefabricated footbridge at the Princess of Wales’s
>> local railway station.
>>
>> Yet the Empire State Building in New York took less time to build than
>> Network Rail is taking to complete a small pedestrian walkway on the London
>> to Bristol line.
>>
>> Passengers have been left fuming at the interminably slow pace of work on
>> the bridge at Theale station near Reading in Berkshire, where the
>> Princess’s parents and siblings are often seen boarding trains to London.
>>
>> Construction was already 10 years overdue when it began in January 2023 and
>> it is not expected to open until spring 2024. In contrast, the Empire State
>> Building, which was for decades the tallest building in the world, took
>> just one year and 45 days to complete.
>>

>Bridges seem to take an age. Round here road over bridges are being rebuilt
>because of MML electrification. The closures are 4 to 6 months. They’ve had
>total weekend blockades of the line several times over, so it’s not as
>though they only have a couple of hours night time working available. In
>contrast the construction of the OHLE is happening at a very fast rate.

Not only bridges. When the escalators were being refurbished at Holborn quite
a while ago they did one at a time and each one was gone for about a year so
probably 4 years for all of them. I don't know how long it took to build the
station in the first place but it would somewhat less than that.

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<umusov$29e0p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73594&group=uk.railway#73594

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State
Building
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 17:29:02 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 17:29 UTC

On 01/01/2024 16:19, Recliner wrote:
> From
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/01/network-rail-pedestrian-bridge-empire-state-building/
>
> One is a 102-storey giant regarded in its heyday as the eighth wonder of
> the world, the other a prefabricated footbridge at the Princess of Wales’s
> local railway station.
>
> Yet the Empire State Building in New York took less time to build than
> Network Rail is taking to complete a small pedestrian walkway on the London
> to Bristol line.
>
> Passengers have been left fuming at the interminably slow pace of work on
> the bridge at Theale station near Reading in Berkshire, where the
> Princess’s parents and siblings are often seen boarding trains to London.
>
> Construction was already 10 years overdue when it began in January 2023 and
> it is not expected to open until spring 2024. In contrast, the Empire State
> Building, which was for decades the tallest building in the world, took
> just one year and 45 days to complete.

Just an excuse for the Times to run a story with royalty in it. If
Madam's family didn't live there the Times wouldn't have noticed.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<umvfv1$2c1id$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73614&group=uk.railway#73614

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
State Building
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 22:56:33 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:z90wGx+xFVG8YJhxO0zH48gI/Xg=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 22:56 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 01/01/2024 16:19, Recliner wrote:
>> From
>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/01/network-rail-pedestrian-bridge-empire-state-building/
>>
>> One is a 102-storey giant regarded in its heyday as the eighth wonder of
>> the world, the other a prefabricated footbridge at the Princess of Wales’s
>> local railway station.
>>
>> Yet the Empire State Building in New York took less time to build than
>> Network Rail is taking to complete a small pedestrian walkway on the London
>> to Bristol line.
>>
>> Passengers have been left fuming at the interminably slow pace of work on
>> the bridge at Theale station near Reading in Berkshire, where the
>> Princess’s parents and siblings are often seen boarding trains to London.
>>
>> Construction was already 10 years overdue when it began in January 2023 and
>> it is not expected to open until spring 2024. In contrast, the Empire State
>> Building, which was for decades the tallest building in the world, took
>> just one year and 45 days to complete.
>>

> Just an excuse for the Times to run a story with royalty in it. If
> Madam's family didn't live there the Times wouldn't have noticed.

Should we look for the same story in the Express or Hello! magazine?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<un0j7s$2jg7n$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73633&group=uk.railway#73633

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Building
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:58:36 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 08:58 UTC

On 01/01/2024 22:56, Sam Wilson wrote:
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 01/01/2024 16:19, Recliner wrote:
>>> From
>>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/01/network-rail-pedestrian-bridge-empire-state-building/
>>>
>>> One is a 102-storey giant regarded in its heyday as the eighth wonder of
>>> the world, the other a prefabricated footbridge at the Princess of Wales’s
>>> local railway station.
>>>
>>> Yet the Empire State Building in New York took less time to build than
>>> Network Rail is taking to complete a small pedestrian walkway on the London
>>> to Bristol line.
>>>
>>> Passengers have been left fuming at the interminably slow pace of work on
>>> the bridge at Theale station near Reading in Berkshire, where the
>>> Princess’s parents and siblings are often seen boarding trains to London.
>>>
>>> Construction was already 10 years overdue when it began in January 2023 and
>>> it is not expected to open until spring 2024. In contrast, the Empire State
>>> Building, which was for decades the tallest building in the world, took
>>> just one year and 45 days to complete.
>>>

>> Just an excuse for the Times to run a story with royalty in it. If
>> Madam's family didn't live there the Times wouldn't have noticed.
>
> Should we look for the same story in the Express or Hello! magazine?

Only if they have big tits.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<un0mee$2k26n$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73637&group=uk.railway#73637

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Building
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 09:53:19 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 09:53 UTC

On 01/01/2024 16:19, Recliner wrote:
> Yet the Empire State Building in New York took less time to build than
> Network Rail is taking to complete a small pedestrian walkway on the London
> to Bristol line.

Isn't it quite common to see that very large structures were completed
quite quickly in the past mainly by hand.

Obviously less concerns about H&S and QA but they did seem to manage to
get the jobs very quick.

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<ahf9pil6qebfksek3ssvtu7bh7u5th6r2h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73705&group=uk.railway#73705

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 01:54:42 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 01:54 UTC

On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 22:56:33 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
<ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 01/01/2024 16:19, Recliner wrote:
>>> From
>>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/01/network-rail-pedestrian-bridge-empire-state-building/
>>>
>>> One is a 102-storey giant regarded in its heyday as the eighth wonder of
>>> the world, the other a prefabricated footbridge at the Princess of Wales’s
>>> local railway station.
>>>
>>> Yet the Empire State Building in New York took less time to build than
>>> Network Rail is taking to complete a small pedestrian walkway on the London
>>> to Bristol line.
>>>
>>> Passengers have been left fuming at the interminably slow pace of work on
>>> the bridge at Theale station near Reading in Berkshire, where the
>>> Princess’s parents and siblings are often seen boarding trains to London.
>>>
>>> Construction was already 10 years overdue when it began in January 2023 and
>>> it is not expected to open until spring 2024. In contrast, the Empire State
>>> Building, which was for decades the tallest building in the world, took
>>> just one year and 45 days to complete.
>>>

>> Just an excuse for the Times to run a story with royalty in it. If
>> Madam's family didn't live there the Times wouldn't have noticed.
>
>Should we look for the same story in the Express

Does it affect house prices in SE England ?

>or Hello! magazine?
>
>Sam

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<bmaapi95na5l4ktd1710hel8een0s4orqp@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73723&group=uk.railway#73723

From: ken@birchanger.com (Ken)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 09:38:08 +0000
 by: Ken - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:38 UTC

On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 09:53:19 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 01/01/2024 16:19, Recliner wrote:
>> Yet the Empire State Building in New York took less time to build than
>> Network Rail is taking to complete a small pedestrian walkway on the London
>> to Bristol line.
>

>Isn't it quite common to see that very large structures were completed
>quite quickly in the past mainly by hand.
>
>Obviously less concerns about H&S and QA but they did seem to manage to
>get the jobs very quick.

How long did it take to build that skew bridge just outside Waterloo?
I'm sure somebody told me 17 *hours* but that seems implausible.

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<7shapi53bret535et8jsb0rr9iailq0ej2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73742&group=uk.railway#73742

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 11:41:29 +0000
 by: Recliner - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 11:41 UTC

On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 22:56:33 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 01/01/2024 16:19, Recliner wrote:
>>> From
>>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/01/01/network-rail-pedestrian-bridge-empire-state-building/
>>>
>>> One is a 102-storey giant regarded in its heyday as the eighth wonder of
>>> the world, the other a prefabricated footbridge at the Princess of Wales’s
>>> local railway station.
>>>
>>> Yet the Empire State Building in New York took less time to build than
>>> Network Rail is taking to complete a small pedestrian walkway on the London
>>> to Bristol line.
>>>
>>> Passengers have been left fuming at the interminably slow pace of work on
>>> the bridge at Theale station near Reading in Berkshire, where the
>>> Princess’s parents and siblings are often seen boarding trains to London.
>>>
>>> Construction was already 10 years overdue when it began in January 2023 and
>>> it is not expected to open until spring 2024. In contrast, the Empire State
>>> Building, which was for decades the tallest building in the world, took
>>> just one year and 45 days to complete.
>>>

>> Just an excuse for the Times to run a story with royalty in it. If
>> Madam's family didn't live there the Times wouldn't have noticed.
>
>Should we look for the same story in the Express or Hello! magazine?

I discovered almost the identical story in the Telegraph. Clearly at least one of them had copied it without
attribution, and I think it was the Times that copied it from the Telegraph (which is much more royal-focused than the
Times).

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<un3o8a$37blj$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73745&group=uk.railway#73745

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Building
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 13:42:34 +0000
 by: Coffee - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 13:42 UTC

On 03/01/2024 11:41, Recliner wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 22:56:33 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Just an excuse for the Times to run a story with royalty in it. If
>>> Madam's family didn't live there the Times wouldn't have noticed.
>>
>> Should we look for the same story in the Express or Hello! magazine?
>
> I discovered almost the identical story in the Telegraph. Clearly at least one of them had copied it without
> attribution, and I think it was the Times that copied it from the Telegraph (which is much more royal-focused than the
> Times).

Are you sure they both didn't take it from an agency?

Re: Railway footbridge takes longer to build than Empire State Building

<TRelN.60896$i529.28955@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73753&group=uk.railway#73753

Newsgroups: uk.railway
State Building
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 15:14:59 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:14 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 03/01/2024 11:41, Recliner wrote:
>> On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 22:56:33 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson
>> <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Should we look for the same story in the Express or Hello! magazine?
>>
>> I discovered almost the identical story in the Telegraph. Clearly at
>> least one of them had copied it without
>> attribution, and I think it was the Times that copied it from the
>> Telegraph (which is much more royal-focused than the
>> Times).
>
> Are you sure they both didn't take it from an agency?

It's not the sort of story agencies produce, plus if you compare them, the
Telegraph story has a clue that it's original.