Money is a powerful aphrodisiac. But flowers work almost as well. -- Lazarus Long

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: The inventor of railways, according to the Soviets

SubjectAuthor
* The inventor of railways, according to the SovietsJMB99
+- Re: The inventor of railways, according to the SovietsGraeme Wall
+* Re: The inventor of railways, according to the SovietsBevan Price
|+* Re: The inventor of railways, according to the SovietsJMB99
||`- Re: The inventor of railways, according to the SovietsCharles Ellson
|`* Re: The inventor of railways, according to the SovietsCharles Ellson
| `- Re: The inventor of railways, according to the SovietsColinR
`- Re: The inventor of railways, according to the SovietsMarland

1
The inventor of railways, according to the Soviets

<umum26$28cqt$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73566&group=uk.railway#73566

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: The inventor of railways, according to the Soviets
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 15:34:30 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 15:34 UTC

There was a link in another list to KV2/3324 in The National Archive, it
has a slight railway connection - sure the communist Union Barons in the
railway unions would be proud of their comrades.

It tells of an English woman in a Gulag (there were quite a number)

But one afternoon, in the street on her way home from school. she was
arrested by the M.V.D.—the secret police — and accused of falsifying
history.

She had actually told her pupils that the locomotive was invented by an
Englishman called George Stephenson — and not by a Russian. as Soviet
schoolchildren were taught to believe!

For this appalling "crime." Kathleen was sentenced to 25 years at Abez.
But the most fantastic thing about Kathleen Barnes was that when I met
her she was still a fervent Communist.

Re: The inventor of railways, according to the Soviets

<umumnc$28fsd$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73573&group=uk.railway#73573

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 15:45:48 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 15:45 UTC

On 01/01/2024 15:34, JMB99 wrote:
> There was a link in another list to KV2/3324 in The National Archive, it
> has a slight railway connection - sure the communist Union Barons in the
> railway unions would be proud of their comrades.
>
> It tells of an English woman in a Gulag (there were quite a number)
>

> But one afternoon, in the street on her way home from school. she was
> arrested by the M.V.D.—the secret police — and accused of falsifying
> history.
>
> She had actually told her pupils that the locomotive was invented by an
> Englishman called George Stephenson — and not by a Russian. as Soviet
> schoolchildren were taught to believe!
>
> For this appalling "crime." Kathleen was sentenced to 25 years at Abez.
> But the most fantastic thing about Kathleen Barnes was that when I met
> her she was still a fervent Communist.

Though, of course, Stephenson didn't invent the locomotive.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: The inventor of railways, according to the Soviets

<umuoa4$28nup$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73584&group=uk.railway#73584

From: bevanprice666@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:12:52 +0000
 by: Bevan Price - Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:12 UTC

On 01/01/2024 15:34, JMB99 wrote:
> There was a link in another list to KV2/3324 in The National Archive, it
> has a slight railway connection - sure the communist Union Barons in the
> railway unions would be proud of their comrades.
>
> It tells of an English woman in a Gulag (there were quite a number)
>

> But one afternoon, in the street on her way home from school. she was
> arrested by the M.V.D.—the secret police — and accused of falsifying
> history.
>
> She had actually told her pupils that the locomotive was invented by an
> Englishman called George Stephenson — and not by a Russian. as Soviet
> schoolchildren were taught to believe!
>
> For this appalling "crime." Kathleen was sentenced to 25 years at Abez.
> But the most fantastic thing about Kathleen Barnes was that when I met
> her she was still a fervent Communist.

Many years ago, as a student, we were shown a Russian film about science
/ technology. Cannot remember much about the contents, except that
Russians were claimed to have invented almost everything - before the
revolution.

I did wonder at the time - if everything had been so brilliant, why did
they need a revolution and communists.

Re: The inventor of railways, according to the Soviets

<un0s87$2l7ro$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73653&group=uk.railway#73653

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:32:24 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:32 UTC

On 01/01/2024 16:12, Bevan Price wrote:
> Many years ago, as a student, we were shown a Russian film about science
> / technology. Cannot remember much about the contents, except that
> Russians were claimed to have invented almost everything - before the
> revolution.
>
> I did wonder at the time - if everything had been so brilliant, why did
> they need a revolution and communists.

Few things were 'invented' by one person and there are many incorrect
claims made with often powerful lobbies making the claims. Logie Baird
obviously did not 'invent' television and Watson-Watt did not 'invent'
radar but most Scots think they did.

Re: The inventor of railways, according to the Soviets

<kviia8F9sijU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73662&group=uk.railway#73662

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 2 Jan 2024 13:44:40 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 13:44 UTC

JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
> There was a link in another list to KV2/3324 in The National Archive, it
> has a slight railway connection - sure the communist Union Barons in the
> railway unions would be proud of their comrades.
>
> It tells of an English woman in a Gulag (there were quite a number)
>

> But one afternoon, in the street on her way home from school. she was
> arrested by the M.V.D.—the secret police — and accused of falsifying
> history.
>
> She had actually told her pupils that the locomotive was invented by an
> Englishman called George Stephenson — and not by a Russian. as Soviet
> schoolchildren were taught to believe!
>
> For this appalling "crime." Kathleen was sentenced to 25 years at Abez.
> But the most fantastic thing about Kathleen Barnes was that when I met
> her she was still a fervent Communist.

Reminds me of a snippet in the Big Red Train ride by Eric Newby when he
undertook a journey on the Trans Siberian Railway in the Soviet Era.
Cannot remember the exact details but the Gist was his minder was
explaining the restrictions on photographing structures such as viaducts .
The Eric Newby pointed out that the TSR was largely
engineered by an American some time before the revolution and a book on the
construction of it with many photos published in the early 1900’s was
freely available in the libaries of the west .

GH

Re: The inventor of railways, according to the Soviets

<e2e9pihd7jvtbpjbce6tt9ec5ovvmbimg3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73703&group=uk.railway#73703

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 01:29:49 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 01:29 UTC

On Mon, 1 Jan 2024 16:12:52 +0000, Bevan Price
<bevanprice666@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 01/01/2024 15:34, JMB99 wrote:
>> There was a link in another list to KV2/3324 in The National Archive, it
>> has a slight railway connection - sure the communist Union Barons in the
>> railway unions would be proud of their comrades.
>>
>> It tells of an English woman in a Gulag (there were quite a number)
>>

>> But one afternoon, in the street on her way home from school. she was
>> arrested by the M.V.D.—the secret police — and accused of falsifying
>> history.
>>
>> She had actually told her pupils that the locomotive was invented by an
>> Englishman called George Stephenson — and not by a Russian. as Soviet
>> schoolchildren were taught to believe!
>>
>> For this appalling "crime." Kathleen was sentenced to 25 years at Abez.
>> But the most fantastic thing about Kathleen Barnes was that when I met
>> her she was still a fervent Communist.
>
>Many years ago, as a student, we were shown a Russian film about science
>/ technology. Cannot remember much about the contents, except that
>Russians were claimed to have invented almost everything - before the
>revolution.

Clearly incorrect. Everyone[TM] knows the Yanks invented everything.
<snip>

Re: The inventor of railways, according to the Soviets

<86e9pil48c0505jni0vcc9cjpbh6f20d81@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73704&group=uk.railway#73704

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 01:52:33 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 01:52 UTC

On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 11:32:24 +0000, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 01/01/2024 16:12, Bevan Price wrote:
>> Many years ago, as a student, we were shown a Russian film about science
>> / technology. Cannot remember much about the contents, except that
>> Russians were claimed to have invented almost everything - before the
>> revolution.
>>
>> I did wonder at the time - if everything had been so brilliant, why did
>> they need a revolution and communists.
>

>Few things were 'invented' by one person and there are many incorrect
>claims made with often powerful lobbies making the claims. Logie Baird
>obviously did not 'invent' television and Watson-Watt did not 'invent'
>radar but most Scots think they did.

Invention on this side of the pond generally counts from the first
practical demonstration not from when someone first worked on the
idea. Baird was the first to successfully transmit a picture; Philo
Farnsworth gets credited in the USA but he was the first to come up
with a working all-electronic system while both had been working on
their systems for years. Then there is also Vladimir Zworykin and the
cathose ray tube so he had to be ignored by the filthy
capitalists[TM].

Watson-Watt's credit is not for inventing radar rather than devising a
usable version of it.
Similar disputed credits exist for other matters such as who invented
a working/usable incandescent lamp.

It gets worse in the medical world where the credit often goes to the
boss rather than his team who did all the donkey work or made the
actual discovery.

Re: The inventor of railways, according to the Soviets

<un3u7k$384qp$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73755&group=uk.railway#73755

From: rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:24:37 +0000
 by: ColinR - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 15:24 UTC

On 03/01/2024 01:29, Charles Ellson wrote:

> Clearly incorrect. Everyone[TM] knows the Yanks invented everything.
> <snip>

;-)

--
Colin