Many are cold, but few are frozen.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

SubjectAuthor
* Henk damages Okehampton stationRecliner
+* Re: Henk damages Okehampton stationRoland Perry
|+* Re: Henk damages Okehampton stationScott
||`- Re: Henk damages Okehampton stationRoland Perry
|`* Re: Henk damages Okehampton stationRecliner
| `* Re: Henk damages Okehampton stationMarland
|  +* Re: Henk damages Okehampton stationRecliner
|  |`- Re: Henk damages Okehampton stationScott
|  `* Re: Henk damages Okehampton stationCoffee
|   `- Re: Henk damages Okehampton stationMarland
`- Re: Henk damages Okehampton stationRecliner

1
Henk damages Okehampton station

<K01lN.59$v7Ud.50@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73692&group=uk.railway#73692

Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Henk damages Okehampton station
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2024 23:30:50 GMT
 by: Recliner - Tue, 2 Jan 2024 23:30 UTC

From
https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/live-roof-ripped-bridge-blown-9009482

All trains out of Okehampton have been cancelled this afternoon after a
damaged footbridge roof has fallen on to the lines. High winds caused by
Storm Henk have ripped the corrugated roof off the footbridge.

Great Western Railway has announced all trains between Okehampton and
Crediton have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. It said: "Train
services running to and from these stations may be cancelled. Disruption is
expected until 17:00 02/01."

Inrix reports: "No service on Great Western Railway between Okehampton and
Crediton due to damaged bridge."

Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

<WTnlMILgxSllFA0c@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73724&group=uk.railway#73724

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Henk damages Okehampton station
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:44:00 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:44 UTC

In message <K01lN.59$v7Ud.50@fx09.ams1>, at 23:30:50 on Tue, 2 Jan 2024,
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>From
>https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/live-roof-ripped-bridge-blown-9009482
>
>All trains out of Okehampton have been cancelled this afternoon after a
>damaged footbridge roof has fallen on to the lines. High winds caused by
>Storm Henk have ripped the corrugated roof off the footbridge.
>
>Great Western Railway has announced all trains between Okehampton and
>Crediton have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. It said: "Train
>services running to and from these stations may be cancelled. Disruption is
>expected until 17:00 02/01."

So they *do* foresee a time in the [then] future: viz 17:01 on the 2nd.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

<eqbapi5dac69odpfhsiu6em4jii79ripi7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73729&group=uk.railway#73729

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 09:58:46 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:58 UTC

On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:44:00 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <K01lN.59$v7Ud.50@fx09.ams1>, at 23:30:50 on Tue, 2 Jan 2024,
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>From
>>https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/live-roof-ripped-bridge-blown-9009482
>>
>>All trains out of Okehampton have been cancelled this afternoon after a
>>damaged footbridge roof has fallen on to the lines. High winds caused by
>>Storm Henk have ripped the corrugated roof off the footbridge.
>>
>>Great Western Railway has announced all trains between Okehampton and
>>Crediton have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. It said: "Train
>>services running to and from these stations may be cancelled. Disruption is
>>expected until 17:00 02/01."
>
>So they *do* foresee a time in the [then] future: viz 17:01 on the 2nd.

Maybe they mean bus replacement services will be provided and this
does not constitute 'disruption'.

>>Inrix reports: "No service on Great Western Railway between Okehampton and
>>Crediton due to damaged bridge."

Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

<3malN.59412$i529.5891@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73730&group=uk.railway#73730

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 10:07:59 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 10:07 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <K01lN.59$v7Ud.50@fx09.ams1>, at 23:30:50 on Tue, 2 Jan 2024,
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> From
>> https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/live-roof-ripped-bridge-blown-9009482
>>
>> All trains out of Okehampton have been cancelled this afternoon after a
>> damaged footbridge roof has fallen on to the lines. High winds caused by
>> Storm Henk have ripped the corrugated roof off the footbridge.
>>
>> Great Western Railway has announced all trains between Okehampton and
>> Crediton have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. It said: "Train
>> services running to and from these stations may be cancelled. Disruption is
>> expected until 17:00 02/01."
>
> So they *do* foresee a time in the [then] future: viz 17:01 on the 2nd.

Rail services only re-started this morning, so they were quite right that
they couldn't foresee when services would re-start.

As an aside, for those unfamiliar with the station, the damaged footbridge
isn't used by GWR passengers. It's the link to the platform only used by
heritage services.

Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

<3AalN.33594$Xs07.616@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73731&group=uk.railway#73731

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 10:22:55 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 10:22 UTC

Incidentally, here's a picture I took back in 2006 showing the footbridge
in question:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/51227870877/in/album-72157712799947003/lightbox/

The charter train was the short-lived FM Rail Blue Pullman set. I believe
some of the Mk 2 carriages later ended up at Meldon, and may have been used
in the Polar Express.

Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

<kvkt3rFn223U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73734&group=uk.railway#73734

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 3 Jan 2024 11:01:15 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 11:01 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <K01lN.59$v7Ud.50@fx09.ams1>, at 23:30:50 on Tue, 2 Jan 2024,
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>> From
>>> https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/live-roof-ripped-bridge-blown-9009482
>>>
>>> All trains out of Okehampton have been cancelled this afternoon after a
>>> damaged footbridge roof has fallen on to the lines. High winds caused by
>>> Storm Henk have ripped the corrugated roof off the footbridge.
>>>
>>> Great Western Railway has announced all trains between Okehampton and
>>> Crediton have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. It said: "Train
>>> services running to and from these stations may be cancelled. Disruption is
>>> expected until 17:00 02/01."
>>
>> So they *do* foresee a time in the [then] future: viz 17:01 on the 2nd.
>
> Rail services only re-started this morning, so they were quite right that
> they couldn't foresee when services would re-start.
>
> As an aside, for those unfamiliar with the station, the damaged footbridge
> isn't used by GWR passengers. It's the link to the platform only used by
> heritage services.

To be accurate there are no Heritage services , they ceased when the
previous administration of the Dartmoor Railway folded.
The track through Platform 2 was last used by engineering trains during the
track refurbishment work needed to reopen the line as a normal railway
towards Exeter and once that was completed I am reasonably sure that it has
become a disconnected stub. The track towards Meldon once used by the
heritage services remains just in case Meldon Quarry gets reactivated but
with HS2 being scaled back that is increasingly unlikely. That in theory
could mean it could be reconnected to the platform 2 again and operated as
an isolated heritage section but I don’t think there is any great desire to
do so. The Dartmoor Railway association who in various guises partly
operated and supported the Railway seem to have settled down to running the
museum on platform 2 having seen one of their main aims of having the line
returned to normal service. Stock for Heritage services has been sent
elsewhere such as the Thumper to Scotland though much was only fit for
scrap , Meldon Quarry sidings being exposed to ravages of weather and
impossible to protect from Vandals.
Platform 2 its buildings and the footbridge are still the property off DCC
so it will be down to them to repair or not. It isn’t listed and could
probably live without the roof .

Some good photos of the damage on Dartmoor Railway Association site.
<https://www.dartmoor-railway-association.org/news>

GH

Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

<hchapildn2vo0j59sittcirfg24fh6b30g@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73740&group=uk.railway#73740

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 11:34:39 +0000
 by: Recliner - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 11:34 UTC

On 3 Jan 2024 11:01:15 GMT, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <K01lN.59$v7Ud.50@fx09.ams1>, at 23:30:50 on Tue, 2 Jan 2024,
>>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> So they *do* foresee a time in the [then] future: viz 17:01 on the 2nd.
>>
>> Rail services only re-started this morning, so they were quite right that
>> they couldn't foresee when services would re-start.
>>
>> As an aside, for those unfamiliar with the station, the damaged footbridge
>> isn't used by GWR passengers. It's the link to the platform only used by
>> heritage services.
>>

>To be accurate there are no Heritage services , they ceased when the
>previous administration of the Dartmoor Railway folded.

Thanks, I was wondering if any heritage shuttles still ran, or if any heritage stock remained in Meldon.

>The track through Platform 2 was last used by engineering trains during the
>track refurbishment work needed to reopen the line as a normal railway
>towards Exeter and once that was completed I am reasonably sure that it has
>become a disconnected stub. The track towards Meldon once used by the
>heritage services remains just in case Meldon Quarry gets reactivated but
>with HS2 being scaled back that is increasingly unlikely. That in theory
>could mean it could be reconnected to the platform 2 again and operated as
>an isolated heritage section but I don’t think there is any great desire to
>do so. The Dartmoor Railway association who in various guises partly
>operated and supported the Railway seem to have settled down to running the
>museum on platform 2 having seen one of their main aims of having the line
>returned to normal service. Stock for Heritage services has been sent
>elsewhere such as the Thumper to Scotland though much was only fit for
>scrap , Meldon Quarry sidings being exposed to ravages of weather and
>impossible to protect from Vandals.
>Platform 2 its buildings and the footbridge are still the property off DCC
>so it will be down to them to repair or not. It isn’t listed and could
>probably live without the roof .
>
>Some good photos of the damage on Dartmoor Railway Association site.
><https://www.dartmoor-railway-association.org/news>

Thanks. It looks like the footbridge could continue to be used, topless.

Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

<cdjapilgb7efhr0gcotrq591i9kp30g6v8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73743&group=uk.railway#73743

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 12:06:38 +0000
 by: Scott - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 12:06 UTC

On Wed, 03 Jan 2024 11:34:39 +0000, Recliner

Only in warm weather :-)

Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

<un48c1$39o5l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73767&group=uk.railway#73767

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 18:17:37 +0000
 by: Coffee - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 18:17 UTC

On 03/01/2024 11:01, Marland wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <K01lN.59$v7Ud.50@fx09.ams1>, at 23:30:50 on Tue, 2 Jan 2024,
>>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> So they *do* foresee a time in the [then] future: viz 17:01 on the 2nd.
>>
>> Rail services only re-started this morning, so they were quite right that
>> they couldn't foresee when services would re-start.
>>
>> As an aside, for those unfamiliar with the station, the damaged footbridge
>> isn't used by GWR passengers. It's the link to the platform only used by
>> heritage services.
>>

> To be accurate there are no Heritage services , they ceased when the
> previous administration of the Dartmoor Railway folded.
> The track through Platform 2 was last used by engineering trains during the
> track refurbishment work needed to reopen the line as a normal railway
> towards Exeter and once that was completed I am reasonably sure that it has
> become a disconnected stub. The track towards Meldon once used by the
> heritage services remains just in case Meldon Quarry gets reactivated but
> with HS2 being scaled back that is increasingly unlikely. That in theory
> could mean it could be reconnected to the platform 2 again and operated as
> an isolated heritage section but I don’t think there is any great desire to
> do so. The Dartmoor Railway association who in various guises partly
> operated and supported the Railway seem to have settled down to running the
> museum on platform 2 having seen one of their main aims of having the line
> returned to normal service. Stock for Heritage services has been sent
> elsewhere such as the Thumper to Scotland though much was only fit for
> scrap , Meldon Quarry sidings being exposed to ravages of weather and
> impossible to protect from Vandals.
> Platform 2 its buildings and the footbridge are still the property off DCC
> so it will be down to them to repair or not. It isn’t listed and could
> probably live without the roof .
>
> Some good photos of the damage on Dartmoor Railway Association site.
> <https://www.dartmoor-railway-association.org/news>

I was chatting to one of the gWr drivers and he informed me he had been
trained how to operate trains beyond Okehampton railway station towards
the quarry.

Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

<kvlvr3Ftcm6U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73776&group=uk.railway#73776

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 3 Jan 2024 20:53:55 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 20:53 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 03/01/2024 11:01, Marland wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Rail services only re-started this morning, so they were quite right that
>>> they couldn't foresee when services would re-start.
>>>
>>> As an aside, for those unfamiliar with the station, the damaged footbridge
>>> isn't used by GWR passengers. It's the link to the platform only used by
>>> heritage services.
>>>

>> To be accurate there are no Heritage services , they ceased when the
>> previous administration of the Dartmoor Railway folded.
>> The track through Platform 2 was last used by engineering trains during the
>> track refurbishment work needed to reopen the line as a normal railway
>> towards Exeter and once that was completed I am reasonably sure that it has
>> become a disconnected stub. The track towards Meldon once used by the
>> heritage services remains just in case Meldon Quarry gets reactivated but
>> with HS2 being scaled back that is increasingly unlikely. That in theory
>> could mean it could be reconnected to the platform 2 again and operated as
>> an isolated heritage section but I don’t think there is any great desire to
>> do so. The Dartmoor Railway association who in various guises partly
>> operated and supported the Railway seem to have settled down to running the
>> museum on platform 2 having seen one of their main aims of having the line
>> returned to normal service. Stock for Heritage services has been sent
>> elsewhere such as the Thumper to Scotland though much was only fit for
>> scrap , Meldon Quarry sidings being exposed to ravages of weather and
>> impossible to protect from Vandals.
>> Platform 2 its buildings and the footbridge are still the property off DCC
>> so it will be down to them to repair or not. It isn’t listed and could
>> probably live without the roof .
>>
>> Some good photos of the damage on Dartmoor Railway Association site.
>> <https://www.dartmoor-railway-association.org/news>
>
> I was chatting to one of the gWr drivers and he informed me he had been
> trained how to operate trains beyond Okehampton railway station towards
> the quarry.

I wonder what for?

If the quarry tracks need to be visited it would more than likely be a
freight operator or NR if it is for track inspection.
Maybe gWr might want to run a special up to the quarry halt but it seems
unlikely,
NR own the Halt that was constructed there by the Dartmoor railway having
acquired it with the buy back from Aggregate Industries but I don’t know if
it conforms to NR standards and could be used.

GH

Re: Henk damages Okehampton station

<7I6ea7lZwSmlFAIV@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73845&group=uk.railway#73845

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:31:53 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:31 UTC

In message <eqbapi5dac69odpfhsiu6em4jii79ripi7@4ax.com>, at 09:58:46 on
Wed, 3 Jan 2024, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 09:44:00 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <K01lN.59$v7Ud.50@fx09.ams1>, at 23:30:50 on Tue, 2 Jan 2024,
>>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>>From
>>>https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/live-roof-ripped-bridge-blow
>>>n-9009482
>>>
>>>All trains out of Okehampton have been cancelled this afternoon after a
>>>damaged footbridge roof has fallen on to the lines. High winds caused by
>>>Storm Henk have ripped the corrugated roof off the footbridge.
>>>
>>>Great Western Railway has announced all trains between Okehampton and
>>>Crediton have been cancelled for the foreseeable future. It said: "Train
>>>services running to and from these stations may be cancelled. Disruption is
>>>expected until 17:00 02/01."
>>
>>So they *do* foresee a time in the [then] future: viz 17:01 on the 2nd.
>
>Maybe they mean bus replacement services will be provided and this
>does not constitute 'disruption'.

Hmm, are you suggesting a bus replacement is "disruption", because I
think I'd agree.