... with liberty and justice for all ... who can afford it.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trains

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail — a tale of two cities and three trainsRecliner
+* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail — a tale of two cities and three trainsGraeme Wall
|`* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail — a tale of two cities and three trainsTweed
| `* Re: Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail — a tale of two cities and three trainsJohn Levine
|  `* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail — a tale of two cities and three trainsTweed
|   `* Re: Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail — a tale of two cities and three trainsJohn Levine
|    `- Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail — a tale of two cities and three trainsTweed
`* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ??? a tale of two cities and three trainsNobody
 `* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail � a tale of two cities and three trainsRecliner
  `* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trainsNobody
   +- Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trainsRecliner
   +- Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trainsMarland
   `* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trainsMarland
    `* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trainsSam Wilson
     +* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andMuttley
     |+* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andSam Wilson
     ||+* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andRecliner
     |||`* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andCharles Ellson
     ||| +* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andCharles Ellson
     ||| `- Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andSam Wilson
     ||`* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andMuttley
     || `* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andMarland
     ||  `* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andRecliner
     ||   `- Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andMarland
     |`- Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities andNobody
     `* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trainsRecliner
      `* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trainsRoland Perry
       `* Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trainsSam Wilson
        `- Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trainsRoland Perry

Pages:12
Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and

<kvku8mFnasfU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73738&group=uk.railway#73738

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and
Date: 3 Jan 2024 11:20:54 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 11:20 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 23:16:25 -0000 (UTC)
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Can't you people use UTF8? What the hell is that line noise?
>>
>> That’s Marland’s text you’re quoting, not mine, and it looks perfectly
>> normal here.
>
> Well god knows what encoding it is , I just get gibberish. The header states
> utf8 but none of my utf8 enabled apps can decode it.

FWIW I use News Tap as my reader, used to use a paid for version of Agent
but that resides on an almost dead laptop. so for the time being News Tap
it is. In fact as the residual drops of usenet
disappear down a virtual plughole I don’t think I will be changing it.
Never realised it causes problems to some and haven’t a clue about
changing how it works.

Has some quirks I don’t like such as hiding a read post the moment you
leave the thread which can make a topic hard to follow, work is around was
to save a dummy reply but I have a title search brings the thread out
from where it is hiding.

GH

Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and

<7selN.31062$N2w8.3849@fx07.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73751&group=uk.railway#73751

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 14:47:31 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 14:47 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2 Jan 2024 23:16:25 -0000 (UTC)
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> That’s Marland’s text you’re quoting, not mine, and it looks perfectly
>>> normal here.
>>
>> Well god knows what encoding it is , I just get gibberish. The header states
>> utf8 but none of my utf8 enabled apps can decode it.
>>

> FWIW I use News Tap as my reader, used to use a paid for version of Agent
> but that resides on an almost dead laptop. so for the time being News Tap
> it is. In fact as the residual drops of usenet
> disappear down a virtual plughole I don’t think I will be changing it.
> Never realised it causes problems to some and haven’t a clue about
> changing how it works.
>
> Has some quirks I don’t like such as hiding a read post the moment you
> leave the thread which can make a topic hard to follow,

That's a user preference. You can change it show all posts, whether read or
unread. That's how I have it.

> work is around was
> to save a dummy reply but I have a title search brings the thread out
> from where it is hiding.

No need for the workaround.

Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and

<un4aq4$3a40l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73771&group=uk.railway#73771

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2024 18:59:16 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:yg/zCBd+9Lpq9IVLzykH+Z1jbgg=
 by: Sam Wilson - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 18:59 UTC

Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Jan 2024 23:22:45 GMT, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> That’s Marland’s text you’re quoting, not mine, and it looks perfectly
>>> normal here.
>>
>> Yes, and here.
>>
> Not here with Forte Agent.

Interesting - in this message the quotes around Motor and the apostrophes
in my text are displayed as little boxes and in this reply they’ve been
removed from the quoted text altogether. The apostrophe in Muttley’s
question, presumably an ASCII single quote, is preserved.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and

<3pjbpi9moosotkob8m46h20ja792m1vgfb@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73781&group=uk.railway#73781

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2024 21:21:35 +0000
References: <j6s5pi138et8csj313jthpp1i5so3kohn7@4ax.com> <OrCkN.48631$woU1.33721@fx13.ams1> <fam6pipmealivhbro9ha3hbbhik3ol3jnb@4ax.com> <kvie71F942vU1@mid.individual.net> <un1dsd$2p0gu$1@dont-email.me> <un1ef1$2p33d$1@dont-email.me> <un25g9$2sltm$1@dont-email.me> <9V0lN.8992$aRSd.3651@fx02.ams1> <lri9pid6icf08sdifk2phojreqn55ijuv6@4ax.com> <kdj9pidbsvku0hj3u2jd3aludrahgenpei@4ax.com> <ahj9pid49euvb9kr4rmn56g8hjcr8v51cf@4ax.com> <un378c$3540b$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Charles Ellson - Wed, 3 Jan 2024 21:21 UTC

On Wed, 3 Jan 2024 08:52:28 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
wrote:

>On Wed, 03 Jan 2024 03:02:32 +0000
>Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, 03 Jan 2024 03:01:11 +0000, Charles Ellson
>><charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>>But I see I have Unicode UTF-8 available so I will try that.
>>>
>>Now getting quote marks instead of Klingon.
>
>That rather begs the question of whats wrong with plain ascii quotes, ie ""

Yes, looking more closely the quote marks around "motor" are the
directional version which are not ASCII 34. Unicode rather than UTF-8?

Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and

<kvnidkF8vlrU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73800&group=uk.railway#73800

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 4 Jan 2024 11:17:08 GMT
<7selN.31062$N2w8.3849@fx07.ams1>
 by: Marland - Thu, 4 Jan 2024 11:17 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:

>>> Well god knows what encoding it is , I just get gibberish. The header states
>>> utf8 but none of my utf8 enabled apps can decode it.
>>>

>> FWIW I use News Tap as my reader, used to use a paid for version of Agent
>> but that resides on an almost dead laptop. so for the time being News Tap
>> it is. In fact as the residual drops of usenet
>> disappear down a virtual plughole I don’t think I will be changing it.
>> Never realised it causes problems to some and haven’t a clue about
>> changing how it works.
>>
>> Has some quirks I don’t like such as hiding a read post the moment you
>> leave the thread which can make a topic hard to follow,
>
> That's a user preference. You can change it show all posts, whether read or
> unread. That's how I have it.
>
>> work is around was
>> to save a dummy reply but I have a title search brings the thread out
>> from where it is hiding.
>
> No need for the workaround.

Now found the setting that I must have inadvertently changed sometime,
wasn’t where I expected it to be.

GH

Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trains

<laW5ekroJTmlFA7I@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73847&group=uk.railway#73847

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trains
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:58:48 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 10:58 UTC

In message <%8XkN.33590$Xs07.448@fx06.ams1>, at 16:50:03 on Tue, 2 Jan
2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Have never really found "Motor" to be widely used. It seems to be
>>> the preserve of that London dialect that isn’t genuine Cockney but
>>> has grown with the City . As such you often here it used by often
>>> slightly dodgy types in B movies or TV series such as the Sweeney.

I never cease to be astonished by the way people mis-classify cockney
slang. Which is always the "other" word, and not the pair of words.

So "give me a butchers", is 'a look' rhyming with 'butchers hook'.
Or "do you like my new whistle" - suit, rhyming with 'whistle and flute'

>>> I suppose the showing of those overseas may give the impression its
>>> use is more common than it really is, pimply youths may use it for
>>> it while while turning their reliable but boring 1st car into an
>>> unreliable noisy junk heap by sticking bits on and cutting other
>>> parts off so people "Look at my Mota" but most grow out of it.
>>
>> It seemed to be common in my grandfather’s generation - born near the end
>> of the C19.
>
>Yes, I think that was typical pre-War usage. And don't forget
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motor

I posted somewhere recently I had to get "a new set of wheels", by which
I meant the whole car, not just circular things with tyres on.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trains

<unbrv8$li1d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73867&group=uk.railway#73867

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
three trains
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:35:04 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:DvQtspCfPiytPumMurycg/GvUXU=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sat, 6 Jan 2024 15:35 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <%8XkN.33590$Xs07.448@fx06.ams1>, at 16:50:03 on Tue, 2 Jan
> 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

> I never cease to be astonished by the way people mis-classify cockney
> slang. Which is always the "other" word, and not the pair of words.
>
> So "give me a butchers", is 'a look' rhyming with 'butchers hook'.
> Or "do you like my new whistle" - suit, rhyming with 'whistle and flute'

>>> It seemed to be common in my grandfather’s generation - born near the end
>>> of the C19.
>>
>> Yes, I think that was typical pre-War usage. And don't forget
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motor
>
> I posted somewhere recently I had to get "a new set of wheels", by which
> I meant the whole car, not just circular things with tyres on.

Mmmmm, metonymy. Miss Groby would have loved it.

<https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1942/03/21/here-lies-miss-groby>

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: OT: Madrid to Lisbon by rail ? a tale of two cities and three trains

<0bPtOqPOb7mlFA59@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=73916&group=uk.railway#73916

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2024 08:48:14 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 8 Jan 2024 08:48 UTC

In message <unbrv8$li1d$1@dont-email.me>, at 15:35:04 on Sat, 6 Jan
2024, Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <%8XkN.33590$Xs07.448@fx06.ams1>, at 16:50:03 on Tue, 2 Jan
>> 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>> I never cease to be astonished by the way people mis-classify cockney
>> slang. Which is always the "other" word, and not the pair of words.
>>
>> So "give me a butchers", is 'a look' rhyming with 'butchers hook'.
>> Or "do you like my new whistle" - suit, rhyming with 'whistle and flute'

>>> Yes, I think that was typical pre-War usage. And don't forget
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Motor
>>
>> I posted somewhere recently I had to get "a new set of wheels", by which
>> I meant the whole car, not just circular things with tyres on.
>
>Mmmmm, metonymy. Miss Groby would have loved it.
>
><https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1942/03/21/here-lies-miss-groby>

It's no longer politically correct, but once upon a time the initials
"BMW" were said to stand for "Black Man's Wheels".

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=23&t=981733&i=20
--
Roland Perry