From: 9a676deadf4f5096b6156c792a57126b@example.com (Hewlitt)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.cars.misc
Subject: Re: Do insurance co always check proof of NCB?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 22:00:04 +0000
 by: Hewlitt - Sun, 3 Sep 2023 22:00 UTC

Not usually, I have only ever been asked once by Devitt insurance, Hastings is hit or miss from what I've heard.

--
For full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/maintenance-uk/do-insurance-co-always-check-proof-of-ncb-61767-.htm

Re: Do insurance co always check proof of NCB?

<klle0jF14osU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=751&group=uk.rec.cars.maintenance#751

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.cars.misc
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 08:06:59 +0100
 by: alan_m - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 07:06 UTC

On 03/09/2023 23:00, Hewlitt wrote:
> Not usually, I have only ever been asked once by Devitt insurance,
> Hastings is hit or miss from what I've heard.

The various companies may share this type of information. In the past
I've had a email stating that my NCB has been validated without me
having to provide any proof*.

There is also the possibility that many of the insurance company names
you see advertised are all part of the same group or holding company.
Also bear in mind that you are not necessarily buying insurance from
Tesco, Coo-op, the AA, Swinton etc. as these are just the middlemen and
your insurance may be from a bigger company (or the owned by the same
holding company providing all the services to these brokers).

You may also find that lying when asked about your NCB may invalidate
your insurance if you make a claim.

I do know that when applying for insurance that your credit record may
be checked.

When applying to drive, or hire a car, on the insurance provided by my
one time employer I was made aware that they could electronically check
things like the driving record with just the licence number (points on
licence etc.)

*With a financial product arranged over the phone I was told that my
identity had been fully electronically checked after I had only given
some basic details.