<Omnic> another .sig addition

aus+uk / uk.railway / Wierd fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

SubjectAuthor
* Wierd fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELMuttley
`* Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELRecliner
 `* Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELMuttley
  `* Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELRecliner
   `* Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELTheo
    +* Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELRecliner
    |+* Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELGraeme Wall
    ||`* Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELCharles Ellson
    || `- Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELRecliner
    |+- Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELMuttley
    |`* Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELSam Wilson
    | `- Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELRecliner
    +- Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELnib
    `- Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road ELMuttley

1
Wierd fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<usa6gr$h1hb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76910&group=uk.railway#76910

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Subject: Wierd fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:44:11 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:44 UTC

If you ever go up/down the top level escalators at TCR to get to the EL
look up. You'll see what looks like gantry crane tracks following the walls
part of the way then joining back up to form a circular(ish) route. Odd thing
is there's no crane or any other type of vehicle on them.

I presume these were used during construction but the area they cover is so
small I can't imagine what use they'd be.

Anyone got any ideas?

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<n80mui96lkav09cp9iil8teccko82tcc95@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77086&group=uk.railway#77086

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:17:19 +0000
 by: Recliner - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:17 UTC

On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:44:11 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>If you ever go up/down the top level escalators at TCR to get to the EL
>look up. You'll see what looks like gantry crane tracks following the walls
>part of the way then joining back up to form a circular(ish) route. Odd thing
>is there's no crane or any other type of vehicle on them.

It's not remotely sturdy enough for a crane.

>I presume these were used during construction but the area they cover is so
>small I can't imagine what use they'd be.
>
>Anyone got any ideas?

I think it's a mounting rail for the missing false ceiling panels to cover the rough concrete roof:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/53574757476

Perhaps a new piece of art will be attached to it?

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<usf0ha$1mf8q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77088&group=uk.railway#77088

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:32:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:32 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:17:19 +0000
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:44:11 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>
>>If you ever go up/down the top level escalators at TCR to get to the EL
>>look up. You'll see what looks like gantry crane tracks following the walls
>>part of the way then joining back up to form a circular(ish) route. Odd thing
>>is there's no crane or any other type of vehicle on them.
>
>It's not remotely sturdy enough for a crane.

Perhaps not. I initially thought it might be for some kind of window/wall
cleaning basket but they get left in situ and it only covers a small area
anyway.

>>Anyone got any ideas?
>
>I think it's a mounting rail for the missing false ceiling panels to cover the
>rough concrete roof:
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/53574757476

Definately looks like running rails to me, not ceiling mounts.

>Perhaps a new piece of art will be attached to it?

Maybe a mobile one!

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<ou1mui9kkm7oqilciehosesq2u3ku8pur8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77091&group=uk.railway#77091

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:49:17 +0000
 by: Recliner - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:49 UTC

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 12:32:42 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 12:17:19 +0000
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>On Wed, 6 Mar 2024 16:44:11 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>>
>>>If you ever go up/down the top level escalators at TCR to get to the EL
>>>look up. You'll see what looks like gantry crane tracks following the walls
>>>part of the way then joining back up to form a circular(ish) route. Odd thing
>>>is there's no crane or any other type of vehicle on them.
>>
>>It's not remotely sturdy enough for a crane.
>
>Perhaps not. I initially thought it might be for some kind of window/wall
>cleaning basket but they get left in situ and it only covers a small area
>anyway.
>
>>>Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>>I think it's a mounting rail for the missing false ceiling panels to cover the
>>rough concrete roof:
>>https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/53574757476
>
>Definately looks like running rails to me, not ceiling mounts.
>
>>Perhaps a new piece of art will be attached to it?
>
>Maybe a mobile one!

It certainly wouldn't be a smooth track for a powered rolling platform, but would allow some sort of movable fixture. I
did wonder if it was a lighting track, but there's no electrical connections that I can see. Here's a close-up shot:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/53575242005

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<csD*ZnSEz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77092&group=uk.railway#77092

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 08 Mar 2024 13:08:30 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:08 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> It certainly wouldn't be a smooth track for a powered rolling platform, but would allow some sort of movable fixture. I
> did wonder if it was a lighting track, but there's no electrical connections that I can see. Here's a close-up shot:
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/53575242005

It appears to have wear marks suggesting a 'something' has run along it,
rather than just positioned in particular places like you'd expect a
lighting track. It also appears to have a surface coating, which would be
less than ideal if the two rails are two electrical conductors.

Maybe it's for a winch for general purpose raising and lowering? The winch
would have a remote wire for its electrical supply (or be battery powered I
suppose).

Theo

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<lg3muila7qoje7a6pccconnm1t86rigou8@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77093&group=uk.railway#77093

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:18:47 +0000
 by: Recliner - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:18 UTC

On 08 Mar 2024 13:08:30 +0000 (GMT), Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It certainly wouldn't be a smooth track for a powered rolling platform, but would allow some sort of movable fixture. I
>> did wonder if it was a lighting track, but there's no electrical connections that I can see. Here's a close-up shot:
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/53575242005
>
>It appears to have wear marks suggesting a 'something' has run along it,
>rather than just positioned in particular places like you'd expect a
>lighting track.

I don't think there's any signs of wear? In fact, it looks like it's been recently installed. There's also additional
nearby screw holes, suggesting that there's more to come with this structure.

> It also appears to have a surface coating, which would be
>less than ideal if the two rails are two electrical conductors.
>
>Maybe it's for a winch for general purpose raising and lowering? The winch
>would have a remote wire for its electrical supply (or be battery powered I
>suppose).

One thing to note is that the two tracks aren't a consistent width apart — they get further apart at the corners,
because the radius of the corner curves is the same with both tracks (ie, they used common components). So they couldn't
be used to support a rolling bridging platform that went round the circuit. So, I don't think thing they can be regarded
as a sort of inverted rail track. They're effectively two inverted monorails.

Given the commercial nature of the area, I wonder if it could be the mountings for some sort of fancy, dynamic
advertising fixture?

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<l50hl7Fi8scU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77094&group=uk.railway#77094

From: news@caffnib.co.uk (nib)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:20:40 +0000
 by: nib - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 13:20 UTC

On 2024-03-08 13:08, Theo wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It certainly wouldn't be a smooth track for a powered rolling platform, but would allow some sort of movable fixture. I
>> did wonder if it was a lighting track, but there's no electrical connections that I can see. Here's a close-up shot:
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/53575242005
>
> It appears to have wear marks suggesting a 'something' has run along it,
> rather than just positioned in particular places like you'd expect a
> lighting track. It also appears to have a surface coating, which would be
> less than ideal if the two rails are two electrical conductors.
>
> Maybe it's for a winch for general purpose raising and lowering? The winch
> would have a remote wire for its electrical supply (or be battery powered I
> suppose).
>
> Theo

Looks like an industrial-strength curtain track!

nib

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<usfdj2$1pkoo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77096&group=uk.railway#77096

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:15:29 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:15 UTC

On 08/03/2024 13:18, Recliner wrote:
> On 08 Mar 2024 13:08:30 +0000 (GMT), Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It certainly wouldn't be a smooth track for a powered rolling platform, but would allow some sort of movable fixture. I
>>> did wonder if it was a lighting track, but there's no electrical connections that I can see. Here's a close-up shot:
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/53575242005
>>
>> It appears to have wear marks suggesting a 'something' has run along it,
>> rather than just positioned in particular places like you'd expect a
>> lighting track.
>
> I don't think there's any signs of wear? In fact, it looks like it's been recently installed. There's also additional
> nearby screw holes, suggesting that there's more to come with this structure.
>
>> It also appears to have a surface coating, which would be
>> less than ideal if the two rails are two electrical conductors.
>>
>> Maybe it's for a winch for general purpose raising and lowering? The winch
>> would have a remote wire for its electrical supply (or be battery powered I
>> suppose).
>
> One thing to note is that the two tracks aren't a consistent width apart — they get further apart at the corners,
> because the radius of the corner curves is the same with both tracks (ie, they used common components). So they couldn't
> be used to support a rolling bridging platform that went round the circuit. So, I don't think thing they can be regarded
> as a sort of inverted rail track. They're effectively two inverted monorails.
>
> Given the commercial nature of the area, I wonder if it could be the mountings for some sort of fancy, dynamic
> advertising fixture?

Looks like curtain rails!
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<usfe53$1psn1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77098&group=uk.railway#77098

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:25:08 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:25 UTC

On 08 Mar 2024 13:08:30 +0000 (GMT)
Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It certainly wouldn't be a smooth track for a powered rolling platform, but
>would allow some sort of movable fixture. I
>> did wonder if it was a lighting track, but there's no electrical connections
>that I can see. Here's a close-up shot:
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/53575242005
>
>It appears to have wear marks suggesting a 'something' has run along it,

Yes, looks like some rubber marks from runners.

>Maybe it's for a winch for general purpose raising and lowering? The winch
>would have a remote wire for its electrical supply (or be battery powered I
>suppose).

That would be my guess.

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<usfe8j$1ptbm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77099&group=uk.railway#77099

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:26:59 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:26 UTC

On Fri, 08 Mar 2024 13:18:47 +0000
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>On 08 Mar 2024 13:08:30 +0000 (GMT), Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
>wrote:
>>It appears to have wear marks suggesting a 'something' has run along it,
>>rather than just positioned in particular places like you'd expect a
>>lighting track.
>
>I don't think there's any signs of wear? In fact, it looks like it's been
>recently installed. There's also additional
>nearby screw holes, suggesting that there's more to come with this structure.

Or stuff has been removed.

>So, I don't think thing they can be regarded
>as a sort of inverted rail track. They're effectively two inverted monorails.

Perhaps 2 seperate winches.

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<usifur$2geku$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77222&group=uk.railway#77222

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 20:14:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:jiKn1SUYNRtP8Om253BbIpYLJmY=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 20:14 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 08 Mar 2024 13:08:30 +0000 (GMT), Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> It certainly wouldn't be a smooth track for a powered rolling platform,
>>> but would allow some sort of movable fixture. I
>>> did wonder if it was a lighting track, but there's no electrical
>>> connections that I can see. Here's a close-up shot:
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/53575242005
>>
>> It appears to have wear marks suggesting a 'something' has run along it,
>> rather than just positioned in particular places like you'd expect a
>> lighting track.
>
> I don't think there's any signs of wear? In fact, it looks like it's
> been recently installed. There's also additional
> nearby screw holes, suggesting that there's more to come with this structure.
>
>> It also appears to have a surface coating, which would be
>> less than ideal if the two rails are two electrical conductors.
>>
>> Maybe it's for a winch for general purpose raising and lowering? The winch
>> would have a remote wire for its electrical supply (or be battery powered I
>> suppose).
>
> One thing to note is that the two tracks aren't a consistent width apart
> — they get further apart at the corners,
> because the radius of the corner curves is the same with both tracks (ie,
> they used common components). So they couldn't
> be used to support a rolling bridging platform that went round the
> circuit. So, I don't think thing they can be regarded
> as a sort of inverted rail track. They're effectively two inverted monorails.
>
> Given the commercial nature of the area, I wonder if it could be the
> mountings for some sort of fancy, dynamic
> advertising fixture?

Toy Wuppertal danglebahn?

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<s6npuiha1mcqvi0unsr8jf5j651i45l9ch@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77229&group=uk.railway#77229

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 22:05:30 +0000
 by: Recliner - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 22:05 UTC

On Sat, 9 Mar 2024 20:14:20 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> It appears to have wear marks suggesting a 'something' has run along it,
>>> rather than just positioned in particular places like you'd expect a
>>> lighting track.
>>
>> I don't think there's any signs of wear? In fact, it looks like it's
>> been recently installed. There's also additional
>> nearby screw holes, suggesting that there's more to come with this structure.
>>
>>> It also appears to have a surface coating, which would be
>>> less than ideal if the two rails are two electrical conductors.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's for a winch for general purpose raising and lowering? The winch
>>> would have a remote wire for its electrical supply (or be battery powered I
>>> suppose).
>>
>> One thing to note is that the two tracks aren't a consistent width apart
>> — they get further apart at the corners,
>> because the radius of the corner curves is the same with both tracks (ie,
>> they used common components). So they couldn't
>> be used to support a rolling bridging platform that went round the
>> circuit. So, I don't think thing they can be regarded
>> as a sort of inverted rail track. They're effectively two inverted monorails.
>>
>> Given the commercial nature of the area, I wonder if it could be the
>> mountings for some sort of fancy, dynamic
>> advertising fixture?
>
>Toy Wuppertal danglebahn?

Now that would be fun!

Given the proximity to Shaftesbury Avenue, I was wondering about a parade of famous actors.

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<tq0sui1p0dbevh5guuson28q3bmjl4b39r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77307&group=uk.railway#77307

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:02:25 +0000
 by: Charles Ellson - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:02 UTC

On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:15:29 +0000, Graeme Wall
<rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 08/03/2024 13:18, Recliner wrote:

>>> It appears to have wear marks suggesting a 'something' has run along it,
>>> rather than just positioned in particular places like you'd expect a
>>> lighting track.
>>
>> I don't think there's any signs of wear? In fact, it looks like it's been recently installed. There's also additional
>> nearby screw holes, suggesting that there's more to come with this structure.
>>
>>> It also appears to have a surface coating, which would be
>>> less than ideal if the two rails are two electrical conductors.
>>>
>>> Maybe it's for a winch for general purpose raising and lowering? The winch
>>> would have a remote wire for its electrical supply (or be battery powered I
>>> suppose).
>>
>> One thing to note is that the two tracks aren't a consistent width apart — they get further apart at the corners,
>> because the radius of the corner curves is the same with both tracks (ie, they used common components). So they couldn't
>> be used to support a rolling bridging platform that went round the circuit. So, I don't think thing they can be regarded
>> as a sort of inverted rail track. They're effectively two inverted monorails.
>>
>> Given the commercial nature of the area, I wonder if it could be the mountings for some sort of fancy, dynamic
>> advertising fixture?
>
>Looks like curtain rails!

That is what I thought but for something on the lines of a specialised
draught screen.

Re: Weird fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL

<vi2uui134dro91dslgkrt54nn70m2ri7qv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77347&group=uk.railway#77347

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:45:32 +0000
 by: Recliner - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:45 UTC

On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:02:25 +0000, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:15:29 +0000, Graeme Wall
><rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I don't think there's any signs of wear? In fact, it looks like it's been recently installed. There's also additional
>>> nearby screw holes, suggesting that there's more to come with this structure.

>>> One thing to note is that the two tracks aren't a consistent width apart — they get further apart at the corners,
>>> because the radius of the corner curves is the same with both tracks (ie, they used common components). So they couldn't
>>> be used to support a rolling bridging platform that went round the circuit. So, I don't think thing they can be regarded
>>> as a sort of inverted rail track. They're effectively two inverted monorails.
>>>
>>> Given the commercial nature of the area, I wonder if it could be the mountings for some sort of fancy, dynamic
>>> advertising fixture?
>>
>>Looks like curtain rails!
>>
>That is what I thought but for something on the lines of a specialised
>draught screen.

Perhaps they've found a rare spot that doesn't get bombarded with "See it. Say it. Sorted." announcements and will be
setting up directional speakers to ensure that no-one could possibly miss this essential announcement?

aus+uk / uk.railway / Wierd fitting at Tottenham Court Road EL