From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Cancellation: my brother's rights
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:34:19 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:34 UTC

My brother is due to travel from Euston to Glasgow Central tomorrow
departing 09:30. The train has been cancelled by Avanti. NRE shows the
alternative as Euston to Preston (arriving 11:39) then change at
Preston to a 12:03 TPE service to Glasgow. My brother is concerned
that he will be surcharged if he travels on a TPE train with an Avanti
ticket. However, my belief is that he can take any reasonable route.
If he is surcharged would he be able to reclaim the cost from Avanti?
Any advice?

Re: Cancellation: my brother's rights

<usnjet$3p417$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77374&group=uk.railway#77374

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Cancellation: my brother's rights
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:44:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:qFQYjzDZKJqzM1mp4/fFZhjnFIg=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 18:44 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> My brother is due to travel from Euston to Glasgow Central tomorrow
> departing 09:30. The train has been cancelled by Avanti. NRE shows the
> alternative as Euston to Preston (arriving 11:39) then change at
> Preston to a 12:03 TPE service to Glasgow. My brother is concerned
> that he will be surcharged if he travels on a TPE train with an Avanti
> ticket. However, my belief is that he can take any reasonable route.
> If he is surcharged would he be able to reclaim the cost from Avanti?
> Any advice?

Get a refund and fly EasyJet from Luton for £86 :)

Re: Cancellation: my brother's rights

<ySUURxPNV37lFARd@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77379&group=uk.railway#77379

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:19:09 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:19 UTC

In message <b8juuitf9upvcpbi44tdqn7oqsapheamq2@4ax.com>, at 18:34:19 on
Mon, 11 Mar 2024, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>My brother is due to travel from Euston to Glasgow Central tomorrow
>departing 09:30. The train has been cancelled by Avanti. NRE shows the
>alternative as Euston to Preston (arriving 11:39) then change at
>Preston to a 12:03 TPE service to Glasgow. My brother is concerned
>that he will be surcharged if he travels on a TPE train with an Avanti
>ticket. However, my belief is that he can take any reasonable route.
>If he is surcharged would he be able to reclaim the cost from Avanti?
>Any advice?

Although you don't say so explicitly, I'll assume he has an Avanti AP
ticket, not a walk-up ticket issued by Avanti (which is interavailable).

He needs to make enquiries with the staff at Euston to see if they have
put in place a cover arrangement with TPE. If not, he'll have to wait
for the next Avanti through train.

Either way he should get a substantial "Delay Repay" refund.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Cancellation: my brother's rights

<ms41vih0o1i8n8n1qgaebopt5le159htfn@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77455&group=uk.railway#77455

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:43:17 +0000
 by: Scott - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 17:43 UTC

On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:19:09 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <b8juuitf9upvcpbi44tdqn7oqsapheamq2@4ax.com>, at 18:34:19 on
>Mon, 11 Mar 2024, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>>My brother is due to travel from Euston to Glasgow Central tomorrow
>>departing 09:30. The train has been cancelled by Avanti. NRE shows the
>>alternative as Euston to Preston (arriving 11:39) then change at
>>Preston to a 12:03 TPE service to Glasgow. My brother is concerned
>>that he will be surcharged if he travels on a TPE train with an Avanti
>>ticket. However, my belief is that he can take any reasonable route.
>>If he is surcharged would he be able to reclaim the cost from Avanti?
>>Any advice?
>
>Although you don't say so explicitly, I'll assume he has an Avanti AP
>ticket, not a walk-up ticket issued by Avanti (which is interavailable).
>
>He needs to make enquiries with the staff at Euston to see if they have
>put in place a cover arrangement with TPE. If not, he'll have to wait
>for the next Avanti through train.
>
>Either way he should get a substantial "Delay Repay" refund.

I suggested getting the later train for the reason set out in your
last sentence. However, my brother decided to get the previous train.
He got and upgrade to First Class, the train was on time and he was
very happy.

And I think you - and my brother - were right to suggest he could not
board a TPE service with an Avanti only ticket unless in some way
authorised to do so.

Re: Cancellation: my brother's rights

<OZSrzIQKXL8lFAuu@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77462&group=uk.railway#77462

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 20:06:34 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 20:06 UTC

In message <ms41vih0o1i8n8n1qgaebopt5le159htfn@4ax.com>, at 17:43:17 on
Tue, 12 Mar 2024, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:19:09 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>In message <b8juuitf9upvcpbi44tdqn7oqsapheamq2@4ax.com>, at 18:34:19 on
>>Mon, 11 Mar 2024, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>>>My brother is due to travel from Euston to Glasgow Central tomorrow
>>>departing 09:30. The train has been cancelled by Avanti. NRE shows the
>>>alternative as Euston to Preston (arriving 11:39) then change at
>>>Preston to a 12:03 TPE service to Glasgow. My brother is concerned
>>>that he will be surcharged if he travels on a TPE train with an Avanti
>>>ticket. However, my belief is that he can take any reasonable route.
>>>If he is surcharged would he be able to reclaim the cost from Avanti?
>>>Any advice?
>>
>>Although you don't say so explicitly, I'll assume he has an Avanti AP
>>ticket, not a walk-up ticket issued by Avanti (which is interavailable).
>>
>>He needs to make enquiries with the staff at Euston to see if they have
>>put in place a cover arrangement with TPE. If not, he'll have to wait
>>for the next Avanti through train.
>>
>>Either way he should get a substantial "Delay Repay" refund.
>
>I suggested getting the later train for the reason set out in your
>last sentence. However, my brother decided to get the previous train.

This is bit confusing, because AP tickets aren't changeable, or did
Avanti allow it because of the cancellation?

--
Roland Perry

Re: Cancellation: my brother's rights

<l3g1vit4luqskpo74nadbjmgjvvq3rg2n7@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77465&group=uk.railway#77465

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2024 20:53:48 +0000
 by: Scott - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 20:53 UTC

On Tue, 12 Mar 2024 20:06:34 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <ms41vih0o1i8n8n1qgaebopt5le159htfn@4ax.com>, at 17:43:17 on
>Tue, 12 Mar 2024, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>>On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:19:09 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>In message <b8juuitf9upvcpbi44tdqn7oqsapheamq2@4ax.com>, at 18:34:19 on
>>>Mon, 11 Mar 2024, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>>>
>>>Although you don't say so explicitly, I'll assume he has an Avanti AP
>>>ticket, not a walk-up ticket issued by Avanti (which is interavailable).
>>>
>>>He needs to make enquiries with the staff at Euston to see if they have
>>>put in place a cover arrangement with TPE. If not, he'll have to wait
>>>for the next Avanti through train.
>>>
>>>Either way he should get a substantial "Delay Repay" refund.
>>
>>I suggested getting the later train for the reason set out in your
>>last sentence. However, my brother decided to get the previous train.
>
>This is bit confusing, because AP tickets aren't changeable, or did
>Avanti allow it because of the cancellation?

Yes, the email (from Trainline) said he could use the previous or next
service. I found out at Glasgow Central that the reason for the
cancellation was driver shortage. I think this is standard practice on
Avanti when a cancellation occurs.

Re: Cancellation: my brother's rights

<l5c0urFcv0sU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77466&group=uk.railway#77466

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 12 Mar 2024 21:49:15 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 12 Mar 2024 21:49 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <ms41vih0o1i8n8n1qgaebopt5le159htfn@4ax.com>, at 17:43:17 on
> Tue, 12 Mar 2024, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>> On Mon, 11 Mar 2024 21:19:09 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <b8juuitf9upvcpbi44tdqn7oqsapheamq2@4ax.com>, at 18:34:19 on
>>> Mon, 11 Mar 2024, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>>>
>>> Although you don't say so explicitly, I'll assume he has an Avanti AP
>>> ticket, not a walk-up ticket issued by Avanti (which is interavailable).
>>>
>>> He needs to make enquiries with the staff at Euston to see if they have
>>> put in place a cover arrangement with TPE. If not, he'll have to wait
>>> for the next Avanti through train.
>>>
>>> Either way he should get a substantial "Delay Repay" refund.
>>
>> I suggested getting the later train for the reason set out in your
>> last sentence. However, my brother decided to get the previous train.
>
> This is bit confusing, because AP tickets aren't changeable, or did
> Avanti allow it because of the cancellation?

They allow it quite often but I’m not sure if it is a right as compared to
allowing AP ticket holders on a later service which means they may get into
delay repay territory or the full refund option.
Makes sense logically , if some passengers have got to a station in good
time and there is space on a
preceding service it gets a few more bodies on the move that won’t be
competing for seats on a potentially vey crowded later service following
the cancelled one.
And those who get to their destination early won’t be claiming for delay
repay.

I got informed about it at Euston last November having arrived in good
time and finding my booked train cancelled, as it I was in no hurry I
decided not to rush and have a snack and a coffee.
Regretted that later when a fatality on track incident saw the train I
ended up on stop a couple of miles short of my destination Birmingham.
International , with commendable lack of delay we were reversed to
Coventry where that train was now cancelled and headed back to London .As
there was chaos I abandoned the Railway and having a tourist information
lady confirm my hazy recollection of the City’s geography from having taken
a narrowboat there in the mid 70’s legged to the bus station armed with bus
pass, fortunately ahead of several hundred people with the same intent who
could be seen like a herd of charging Buffalo approaching as we pulled out
full and standing, which meant we ran non stop to BMI much to the chagrin
of people waiting at intermediate stops who gave hand signals at our
driver in a strange manner that seemed to indicate they wanted one or two
seats ,in other parts of the Country people put their arm out. By the time
it was time to leave 7 hours trains were running again but my scheduled one
was cancelled so again caught the next one but fortunately there were
plenty of seats,it was only a 20 or 30 min delay
so I made by Euston -Waterloo crossing in time to get my scheduled service
on SWR.
Delay repay for the disrupted northbound journey was progressed very
quick. I didn’t bother to see if the later arrival than planned at Euston
could also be claimed for, might have been different if the Northern line
was playing up and I got to Waterloo late. I wonder what happens in that
case,especially if you were to arrive at Euston on time and it is LUL who
are the broken link?
Do the mainline operators pay out and claim back of them or is this gamble
you take when going via London ?.

GH

aus+uk / uk.railway / Cancellation: my brother's rights