From: me@invalid.nl (GeoffC)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: FOAK: proof of ID in UK
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:30:46 -0000 (UTC)
 by: GeoffC - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 19:30 UTC

YTC#1 wrote:

> On 24/03/2024 10:19, GeoffC wrote:
> > YTC#1 wrote:

> > > That led to https://www.no2id.net/
> > >
> > > I'm sure that if the Gov had tried to introduce it in a more
> > > stepped way, then it may have made it.
> > >
> > > We accept passports and driving licences[1], but I think "mission
> > > creep" helped kill it as more and more "entitlements" were added.
> > >
> > > [1] Well, ok, I know 1 person who still refuses to get a photo
> > > driving licence.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, were you for or against the 2006 proposals?
> > I remember at the time it being depicted by opponents as Big Brother
> > etc.
> >

> I was against, I felt it went to far.

And if they introduced the same proposals tomorrow would you still
think that? bearing in mind that since then biometrics have become
reliably available.

--

Geoff
NTV650

Re: FOAK: proof of ID in UK

<utq8c9$k8hl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78166&group=uk.railway#78166

From: dajhawk18xx@@nowhere.com (David Jones)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2024 22:10:17 -0000 (UTC)
 by: David Jones - Sun, 24 Mar 2024 22:10 UTC

GeoffC wrote:

> YTC#1 wrote:

> > > Out of curiosity, were you for or against the 2006 proposals?
> > > I remember at the time it being depicted by opponents as Big
> > > Brother etc.
> > >

> > I was against, I felt it went to far.
>
> And if they introduced the same proposals tomorrow would you still
> think that? bearing in mind that since then biometrics have become
> reliably available.

If they introduce identity cards, you woud need to prove your identity
to get one. Very circular.

Re: FOAK: proof of ID in UK

<9ODFJzGFgUAmFAVq@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78207&group=uk.railway#78207

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:46:45 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 09:46 UTC

In message <utq8c9$k8hl$1@dont-email.me>, at 22:10:17 on Sun, 24 Mar
2024, David Jones <dajhawk18xx@?.com.invalid> remarked:

>>if they introduced the same proposals tomorrow would you still
>> think that? bearing in mind that since then biometrics have become
>> reliably available.
>
>If they introduce identity cards, you woud need to prove your identity
>to get one. Very circular.

But you only have to do that once, and it's not time-sensitive.
--
Roland Perry

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: FOAK: proof of ID in UK