Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Pirate radio

SubjectAuthor
* Pirate radioBrian Gaff
`* Re: Pirate radioScott
 `* Re: Pirate radioJohn Williamson
  `* Re: Pirate radioScott
   +* Re: Pirate radioJohn Williamson
   |`- Re: Pirate radioLiz Tuddenham
   `* Re: Pirate radioBrian Gaff
    `* Re: Pirate radioJ. P. Gilliver
     `* Re: Pirate radioMax Demian
      `* Re: Pirate radioBrian Gaff
       +- Re: Pirate radioJohn Williamson
       `- Re: Pirate radioBrian Gregory

1
Pirate radio

<u44qbg$7qs9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7960&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7960

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Pirate radio
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 10:15:26 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 18 May 2023 09:15 UTC

I notice that on FM there are still quite a few pirate stations, but I would
imagine the whole idea is to make money, not like the old days.
For instance, there is one which spends more time plugging gigs like events
with live DJs and MCs, one supposes against dead ones, than playing actual
tracks, many of which seem to feature the F word a lot by rappers.
I don't know if this is widespread or whether I'm overly suspicious, as it
costs a tenner to get in for blokes but ladies get in free. Is there a
shortage of girls, or is this some kind of code for working girls? One also
wonders whether it might be all about flogging recreational drugs.

I'd have thought a lot of this might have gone on line by now, as its more
difficult to police then.
I'm all for folk having fun, but I just got this nagging feeling of a sub
text involved in these gigs.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Pirate radio

<ubdc6i9vijmmnbg2p5ssi6snd5e3joomqh@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7961&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7961

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Pirate radio
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 15:28:48 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 18 May 2023 14:28 UTC

On Thu, 18 May 2023 10:15:26 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>I notice that on FM there are still quite a few pirate stations, but I would
>imagine the whole idea is to make money, not like the old days.
> For instance, there is one which spends more time plugging gigs like events
>with live DJs and MCs, one supposes against dead ones, than playing actual
>tracks, many of which seem to feature the F word a lot by rappers.
> I don't know if this is widespread or whether I'm overly suspicious, as it
>costs a tenner to get in for blokes but ladies get in free.

I think this is/was commonplace at nightclubs. I wonder if it remains
legal post Equality Act.

>Is there a
>shortage of girls, or is this some kind of code for working girls? One also
>wonders whether it might be all about flogging recreational drugs.
>
> I'd have thought a lot of this might have gone on line by now, as its more
>difficult to police then.
> I'm all for folk having fun, but I just got this nagging feeling of a sub
>text involved in these gigs.
> Brian

Gigs probably make money and a pirate radio station probably costs
next to nothing to run, so there may be no more to it than that.

Re: Pirate radio

<kcn0d7Fe25iU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7962&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7962

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 17:00:40 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 18 May 2023 16:00 UTC

On 18/05/2023 15:28, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2023 10:15:26 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd have thought a lot of this might have gone on line by now, as its more
>> difficult to police then.
>> I'm all for folk having fun, but I just got this nagging feeling of a sub
>> text involved in these gigs.
>> Brian
>
> Gigs probably make money and a pirate radio station probably costs
> next to nothing to run, so there may be no more to it than that.

A lot of the DJs are doing the radio gig with no fee on the
understanding that they will be allowed to plug their live gigs free of
charge.

The real adverts pay for the power, if they have to use their own, and
for the gear when it gets seized.

Royalties? What are they?
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Pirate radio

<0rmc6ipkrgug1k6n2tjd487p5gb4mtqge2@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7963&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7963

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 18:10:58 +0100
 by: Scott - Thu, 18 May 2023 17:10 UTC

On Thu, 18 May 2023 17:00:40 +0100, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>On 18/05/2023 15:28, Scott wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 May 2023 10:15:26 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
>> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'd have thought a lot of this might have gone on line by now, as its more
>>> difficult to police then.
>>> I'm all for folk having fun, but I just got this nagging feeling of a sub
>>> text involved in these gigs.
>>> Brian
>>
>> Gigs probably make money and a pirate radio station probably costs
>> next to nothing to run, so there may be no more to it than that.
>>
>A lot of the DJs are doing the radio gig with no fee on the
>understanding that they will be allowed to plug their live gigs free of
>charge.
>
>The real adverts pay for the power, if they have to use their own, and
>for the gear when it gets seized.

Is it an offence to advertise on a 'pirate' radio station as it was
for the real pirate stations under the Marine Offences Act?

>Royalties? What are they?

Re: Pirate radio

<kcn51jFeot8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7964&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7964

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 18:19:46 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Thu, 18 May 2023 17:19 UTC

On 18/05/2023 18:10, Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 18 May 2023 17:00:40 +0100, John Williamson

>> The real adverts pay for the power, if they have to use their own, and
>> for the gear when it gets seized.
>
> Is it an offence to advertise on a 'pirate' radio station as it was
> for the real pirate stations under the Marine Offences Act?

OFCOM say yes.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/interference-enforcement/spectrum-offences/illegalbroadcast

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Pirate radio

<1qay36b.1vcbsxqernclcN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7965&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7965

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 21:21:40 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Thu, 18 May 2023 20:21 UTC

John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 18/05/2023 18:10, Scott wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 May 2023 17:00:40 +0100, John Williamson
>
> >> The real adverts pay for the power, if they have to use their own, and
> >> for the gear when it gets seized.
> >
> > Is it an offence to advertise on a 'pirate' radio station as it was
> > for the real pirate stations under the Marine Offences Act?
>
> OFCOM say yes.
>
> https://www.ofcom.org.uk/spectrum/interference-enforcement/spectrum-offenc
> es/illegalbroadcast

How can they prove who the advertiser is? The organisers of the events
could claim the D.J was reading out a list of gigs he found somewhere on
the Web - "Nuffink to do wiv us mate!:.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Pirate radio

<u4a61g$11msc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7985&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7985

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 11:05:33 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 20 May 2023 10:05 UTC

It is an offence to advertised on a station with no licence to operate for
the UK.
This all tied in with why on the internet, you find blocks on those
companies putting up blocks on non uk licence content after the Sony/Warner
ruling a couple of years back. What many stations seem to be now doing is
having their own app or skill on the phone or alexa to directly link past
the block in some way.
I personally feel the big meda companies mentioned need to embrace online
radio, as it boosts the exposure to their products. They are still stuck in
the same rut as home taping is wrong groove. I do sometimes wonder ho is
making money these days when a music subscription is cheaper than the cost
of going to a record shop and buying CDs etc.
I mean at 4.99 a month, I can grab what I want from Amazon quite easily. I
just wondered, for example who gets the money if I left there is noone quite
like Grandma by St Winifred school choir on continuous repeat while I was on
holiday...
Brian

--

--:
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 May 2023 17:00:40 +0100, John Williamson
> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
>>On 18/05/2023 15:28, Scott wrote:
>>>
>>> Gigs probably make money and a pirate radio station probably costs
>>> next to nothing to run, so there may be no more to it than that.
>>>
>>A lot of the DJs are doing the radio gig with no fee on the
>>understanding that they will be allowed to plug their live gigs free of
>>charge.
>>
>>The real adverts pay for the power, if they have to use their own, and
>>for the gear when it gets seized.
>
> Is it an offence to advertise on a 'pirate' radio station as it was
> for the real pirate stations under the Marine Offences Act?
>>
>>Royalties? What are they?

Re: Pirate radio

<fzcdB+or1RakFwKE@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7986&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7986

Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 20:20:11 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 20 May 2023 19:20 UTC

In message <u4a61g$11msc$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 20 May 2023 11:05:33,
Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
[]
>the same rut as home taping is wrong groove. I do sometimes wonder ho is
>making money these days when a music subscription is cheaper than the cost
>of going to a record shop and buying CDs etc.

Ah, but isn't a music subscription of limited duration - i. e. you can't
keep the downloads once you stop paying the sub.? (At least in theory;
I'm sure ignored in practice. Some such systems have software to prevent
you keeping, but again I'm sure plenty of people get round those.)

> I mean at 4.99 a month, I can grab what I want from Amazon quite easily. I
>just wondered, for example who gets the money if I left there is noone quite
>like Grandma by St Winifred school choir on continuous repeat while I was on
>holiday...
> Brian

I imagine inflation has reduced the royalties on that to fractions of a
penny by this point - even if it wasn't divided by lots of kids. (Which
it probably isn't; I bet they were shafted in the first place.)

Feudalism : It's your count that votes.

Re: Pirate radio

<u4cqvf$1hgl8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7991&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7991

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 11:15:11 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 21 May 2023 10:15 UTC

On 20/05/2023 20:20, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <u4a61g$11msc$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 20 May 2023 11:05:33,
> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
> []
>> the same rut as home taping  is wrong groove. I do sometimes wonder ho is
>> making money these days when a music subscription is cheaper than the
>> cost
>> of going to a  record shop and buying CDs etc.
>
> Ah, but isn't a music subscription of limited duration - i. e. you can't
> keep the downloads once you stop paying the sub.? (At least in theory;
> I'm sure ignored in practice. Some such systems have software to prevent
> you keeping, but again I'm sure plenty of people get round those.)

Services like Spotify stream, you don't download, though there may be
third party products that enable it. It's like renting a radio to
listen. Buying a song, whether on a physical medium or a sound file, is
a different matter, though there do appear to be some schemes where to
originators are able to delete the files from your device.

--
Max Demian

Re: Pirate radio

<u4hrp8$2g49h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7994&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7994

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 08:59:34 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 23 May 2023 07:59 UTC

Well it very much depends. I tend to feed my stereo from an analogue
source, so there is no reason I need to keep it if its DRM encoded. I can
just record it.

I don't think I'd trust the likes of Apple and the others to always allow me
to access my music. I came unstuck with this on Amazon when you could add to
library, which now no longer seems to work having errors like There is
nothing in your library, or I'm having difficulty accessing your library at
the moment, please try later, or worse still, the stream dropping out in the
middle of a long piece of music, and it returning to the start. Get no sense
from the companies other than sorry, we will ive you xxx vouchers or some.
Its a bit like having a bad meal and then when you complain about it being
given a free pass for another one.
Brian

--

--:
"Max Demian" <max_demian@bigfoot.com> wrote in message
> On 20/05/2023 20:20, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <u4a61g$11msc$1@dont-email.me> at Sat, 20 May 2023 11:05:33,
>> Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>> []
>>> the same rut as home taping is wrong groove. I do sometimes wonder ho is
>>> making money these days when a music subscription is cheaper than the
>>> cost
>>> of going to a record shop and buying CDs etc.
>>
>> Ah, but isn't a music subscription of limited duration - i. e. you can't
>> keep the downloads once you stop paying the sub.? (At least in theory;
>> I'm sure ignored in practice. Some such systems have software to prevent
>> you keeping, but again I'm sure plenty of people get round those.)
>
> Services like Spotify stream, you don't download, though there may be
> third party products that enable it. It's like renting a radio to listen.
> Buying a song, whether on a physical medium or a sound file, is a
> different matter, though there do appear to be some schemes where to
> originators are able to delete the files from your device.
>
> --
> Max Demian

Re: Pirate radio

<kd3rkpFf6irU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7995&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7995

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 13:59:05 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Tue, 23 May 2023 12:59 UTC

On 23/05/2023 08:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Well it very much depends. I tend to feed my stereo from an analogue
> source, so there is no reason I need to keep it if its DRM encoded. I can
> just record it.
>
> I don't think I'd trust the likes of Apple and the others to always allow me
> to access my music. I came unstuck with this on Amazon when you could add to
> library, which now no longer seems to work having errors like There is
> nothing in your library, or I'm having difficulty accessing your library at
> the moment, please try later, or worse still, the stream dropping out in the
> middle of a long piece of music, and it returning to the start. Get no sense
> from the companies other than sorry, we will ive you xxx vouchers or some.
> Its a bit like having a bad meal and then when you complain about it being
> given a free pass for another one.
> Brian

This attitude by Apple and others is why my e-books, music and video
collections are stored on local hardware and backed up pn at least two
drives. If I had to download it all again, that would be about fifteen
grand at a quid a track just for the music. None of it is copy
protected, though all has been paid for.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Pirate radio

<kdf4n3F713rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7998&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7998

From: void-invalid-dead-dontuse@email.invalid (Brian Gregory)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 27 May 2023 20:41:23 +0100
 by: Brian Gregory - Sat, 27 May 2023 19:41 UTC

I still prefer to buy my music in a non-DRM freely copyable format.
Mostly nowadays I buy MP3s from Amazon. Mostly they're 99p each track or
less. No streaming music service used here ... not yet anyway.

--
Brian Gregory (in England).