Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 01:51:45 +0100
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Subject: Re: Sound from the Abbey
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: NY - Fri, 19 May 2023 00:51 UTC

On 08/05/2023 11:36, charles wrote:
> I watched, at home, from Crystal Palace. and didn't notice anything amiss.

It so happened that my wife and I were on a cruise on Coronation Day, so
we watched the events (from the BBC feed) in appalling picture quality
(*) on the TV in our cabin, as the ship made its merry way between
Germany and Finland.

I wasn't aware of any sound or picture dropouts - and I was expecting
them if the ship happened to roll and its satellite dish servo couldn't
track the geostationary satellite perfectly.

(*) Probably due to the ship's dire analogue cable feed to the cabins -
multipath ghosting, random fluttering, nasty clipping of highlights...
on locally-generated signals as well as those received by satellite.

Re: Sound from the Abbey

<EY+yowGlX3ZkFwyO@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7976&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7976

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 14:13:09 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Fri, 19 May 2023 13:13 UTC

In article <yfecnRSPF_C_Vfv5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
<me@privacy.net> scribeth thus
>On 08/05/2023 11:36, charles wrote:
>> I watched, at home, from Crystal Palace. and didn't notice anything amiss.
>

>It so happened that my wife and I were on a cruise on Coronation Day, so
>we watched the events (from the BBC feed) in appalling picture quality
>(*) on the TV in our cabin, as the ship made its merry way between
>Germany and Finland.
>
>I wasn't aware of any sound or picture dropouts - and I was expecting
>them if the ship happened to roll and its satellite dish servo couldn't
>track the geostationary satellite perfectly.
>
>(*) Probably due to the ship's dire analogue cable feed to the cabins -
>multipath ghosting, random fluttering, nasty clipping of highlights...
>on locally-generated signals as well as those received by satellite.

Very authentic, Probably a bit like what the viewers saw at Queen Liz's
crowning!!

--
Tony Sayer

Re: Sound from the Abbey

<5cednUNgXP8-9_T5nZ2dnZfqnPSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7988&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7988

Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 01:49:39 +0100
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: NY - Sun, 21 May 2023 00:49 UTC

On 19/05/2023 14:13, tony sayer wrote:
> In article <yfecnRSPF_C_Vfv5nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@brightview.co.uk>, NY
> <me@privacy.net> scribeth thus
>> On 08/05/2023 11:36, charles wrote:
>>> I watched, at home, from Crystal Palace. and didn't notice anything amiss.
>>

>> It so happened that my wife and I were on a cruise on Coronation Day, so
>> we watched the events (from the BBC feed) in appalling picture quality
>> (*) on the TV in our cabin, as the ship made its merry way between
>> Germany and Finland.
>>
>> I wasn't aware of any sound or picture dropouts - and I was expecting
>> them if the ship happened to roll and its satellite dish servo couldn't
>> track the geostationary satellite perfectly.
>>
>> (*) Probably due to the ship's dire analogue cable feed to the cabins -
>> multipath ghosting, random fluttering, nasty clipping of highlights...
>> on locally-generated signals as well as those received by satellite.
>

> Very authentic, Probably a bit like what the viewers saw at Queen Liz's
> crowning!!

At least I was seeing it in colour.

I saw a documentary from about 10 years ago about Liz's coronation, and
the head of OB (now a very old man) was describing the restrictions that
had been placed on him by the "man from the Palace" who sounded a right
pompous killjoy. The BBC were ordered only to use wide shots. "Bugger
that for a game of soldiers", the BBC OB man thought, and he sneaked in
a few long lenses and surreptitiously fitted them to the turrets of some
of the cameras - and so were able to show close-ups that the Palace man
had banned him from doing. By the time it was broadcast, it was too
late, wasn't it?

I was surprised that even in 2023, we were not allowed to know what the
annointing ceremony involves. Apparently at the time of Liz's
coronation, the BBC were intending to show actors portraying what the
Archbishop was doing to the Queen (oooo Matronnnnnnnn) to fill in the
dead air while the privacy screens were drawn, but even *that* was
forbidden.

Re: Sound from the Abbey

<u4cql3$1hgl8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=7990&group=uk.tech.broadcast#7990

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 21 May 2023 11:09:39 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 21 May 2023 10:09 UTC

On 21/05/2023 01:49, NY wrote:

> I saw a documentary from about 10 years ago about Liz's coronation, and
> the head of OB (now a very old man) was describing the restrictions that
> had been placed on him by the "man from the Palace" who sounded a right
> pompous killjoy. The BBC were ordered only to use wide shots. "Bugger
> that for a game of soldiers", the BBC OB man thought, and he sneaked in
> a few long lenses and surreptitiously fitted them to the turrets of some
> of the cameras - and so were able to show close-ups that the Palace man
> had banned him from doing. By the time it was broadcast, it was too
> late, wasn't it?
>
> I was surprised that even in 2023, we were not allowed to know what the
> annointing ceremony involves. Apparently at the time of Liz's
> coronation, the BBC were intending to show actors portraying what the
> Archbishop was doing to the Queen (oooo Matronnnnnnnn) to fill in the
> dead air while the privacy screens were drawn, but even *that* was
> forbidden.

We *are* allowed to know, and were told what the anointing involved. We
just weren't allowed to see it on our TV screens. There are lots of
things like that.

--
Max Demian