Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 19:06:50 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: DAB 11D
From: wrightsaerials@f2s.com (wrightsaerials@aol.com)
 by: wrightsaerials@aol.c - Tue, 30 May 2023 02:06 UTC

Is the Digital 1 DAB mux on 11D actually a SFN? It doesn't seem to work as one in the area covered by both Emley Moor and Belmont.
Bill

Re: DAB 11D

<kdm0l6F8o3rU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8019&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8019

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: DAB 11D
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 11:15:03 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Tue, 30 May 2023 10:15 UTC

On 30/05/2023 03:06, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:
> Is the Digital 1 DAB mux on 11D actually a SFN? It doesn't seem to work as one in the area covered by both Emley Moor and Belmont.
> Bill
I would suspect the current lift conditions, bringing in a more distant
11D transmitter from beyond the magic 78km away, or (less likely) either
Emley or Belmont's 11D transmitters have lost their GPS timing ref.

Re: DAB 11D

<e40b3963-260a-4ade-8f0d-95de2b30b166n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8020&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8020

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 03:58:59 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsaerials@f2s.com (wrightsaerials@aol.com)
 by: wrightsaerials@aol.c - Tue, 30 May 2023 10:58 UTC

On Tuesday, 30 May 2023 at 11:15:05 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 30/05/2023 03:06, wrights...@aol.com wrote:
> > Is the Digital 1 DAB mux on 11D actually a SFN? It doesn't seem to work as one in the area covered by both Emley Moor and Belmont.
> > Bill
> I would suspect the current lift conditions, bringing in a more distant
> 11D transmitter from beyond the magic 78km away, or (less likely) either
> Emley or Belmont's 11D transmitters have lost their GPS timing ref.
Hi Mark, as you know I am enamoured of a fair matron of Lincoln, so I have been travelling back and forth a lot since November. Reception of the 11D stations has never been good. It's OK in North Hykeham (where there's very little Emley UHF but usable Waltham and Belmont) but once I get into Doddington and the nearby tree-lined rural roads it's very poor. It drops out in all the villages between Torksey and Gainsborough, and in Gainsborough itself. Also in Bawtry and Tickhill. I must try to take note of what happens around Gringley, where Emley is completely screened. The BBC mux is solid for the whole journey. (incidentally I listened to Round the Horne on R4ex yesterday and I'm surprised wokery didn't prevent its transmission. It was absolutely hilarious.)

Re: DAB 11D

<kdm5egF8o3rU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8022&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8022

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 12:36:49 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Tue, 30 May 2023 11:36 UTC

On 30/05/2023 11:58, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:
> On Tuesday, 30 May 2023 at 11:15:05 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
>> On 30/05/2023 03:06, wrights...@aol.com wrote:
>>> Is the Digital 1 DAB mux on 11D actually a SFN? It doesn't seem to work as one in the area covered by both Emley Moor and Belmont.
>>> Bill
>> I would suspect the current lift conditions, bringing in a more distant
>> 11D transmitter from beyond the magic 78km away, or (less likely) either
>> Emley or Belmont's 11D transmitters have lost their GPS timing ref.
> Hi Mark, as you know I am enamoured of a fair matron of Lincoln, so I have been travelling back and forth a lot since November. Reception of the 11D stations has never been good. It's OK in North Hykeham (where there's very little Emley UHF but usable Waltham and Belmont) but once I get into Doddington and the nearby tree-lined rural roads it's very poor. It drops out in all the villages between Torksey and Gainsborough, and in Gainsborough itself. Also in Bawtry and Tickhill. I must try to take note of what happens around Gringley, where Emley is completely screened. The BBC mux is solid for the whole journey. (incidentally I listened to Round the Horne on R4ex yesterday and I'm surprised wokery didn't prevent its transmission. It was absolutely hilarious.)
Well, D1 (11D) has fewer transmitters than the Beeb, however both muxes
are transmitted from Emley, High Hunsley, and Belmont, which more or
less are the sites that serve your route, so I'm surprised D1 is
noticeably poorer. It might suffer from CCI from across the North Sea
more than the Beeb mux possibly ?

Re: DAB 11D

<u556s6$21ihh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8028&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8028

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 30 May 2023 17:05:24 +0100
 by: Woody - Tue, 30 May 2023 16:05 UTC

On Tue 30/05/2023 12:36, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 30/05/2023 11:58, wrightsaerials@aol.com wrote:
>>> I would suspect the current lift conditions, bringing in a more distant
>>> 11D transmitter from beyond the magic 78km away, or (less likely) either
>>> Emley or Belmont's 11D transmitters have lost their GPS timing ref.
>> Hi Mark, as you know I am enamoured of a fair matron of Lincoln, so I
>> have been travelling back and forth a lot since November. Reception of
>> the 11D stations has never been good. It's OK in North Hykeham (where
>> there's very little Emley UHF but usable Waltham and Belmont) but once
>> I get into Doddington and the nearby tree-lined rural roads it's very
>> poor. It drops out in all the villages between Torksey and
>> Gainsborough, and in Gainsborough itself. Also in Bawtry and Tickhill.
>> I must try to take note of what happens around Gringley, where Emley
>> is completely screened. The BBC mux is solid for the whole journey.
>> (incidentally I listened to Round the Horne on R4ex yesterday and I'm
>> surprised wokery didn't prevent its transmission. It was absolutely
>> hilarious.)
> Well, D1 (11D) has fewer transmitters than the Beeb, however both muxes
> are transmitted from Emley, High Hunsley, and Belmont, which more or
> less are the sites that serve your route, so I'm surprised D1 is
> noticeably poorer. It might suffer from CCI from across the North Sea
> more than the Beeb mux possibly ?

Interestingly D1 appears to be radiated from an Anglia Water tower at
Clayton Street in Lincoln. I would have expected that to help somewhat?

Re: DAB 11D

<kdok5lFl3emU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8031&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8031

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 11:00:21 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 31 May 2023 10:00 UTC

On 30/05/2023 17:05, Woody wrote:
> On Tue 30/05/2023 12:36, Mark Carver wrote:
>>> Hi Mark, as you know I am enamoured of a fair matron of Lincoln, so
>>> I have been travelling back and forth a lot since November.
>>> Reception of the 11D stations has never been good. It's OK in North
>>> Hykeham (where there's very little Emley UHF but usable Waltham and
>>> Belmont) but once I get into Doddington and the nearby tree-lined
>>> rural roads it's very poor. It drops out in all the villages between
>>> Torksey and Gainsborough, and in Gainsborough itself. Also in Bawtry
>>> and Tickhill. I must try to take note of what happens around
>>> Gringley, where Emley is completely screened. The BBC mux is solid
>>> for the whole journey. (incidentally I listened to Round the Horne
>>> on R4ex yesterday and I'm surprised wokery didn't prevent its
>>> transmission. It was absolutely hilarious.)
>> Well, D1 (11D) has fewer transmitters than the Beeb, however both
>> muxes are transmitted from Emley, High Hunsley, and Belmont, which
>> more or less are the sites that serve your route, so I'm surprised D1
>> is noticeably poorer. It might suffer from CCI from across the North
>> Sea more than the Beeb mux possibly ?
>
> Interestingly D1 appears to be radiated from an Anglia Water tower at
> Clayton Street in Lincoln. I would have expected that to help somewhat?
And it carries the Beeb too, so even more mysterious seeing that the
Beeb and D1 site share everything serving Bill's lurve route ?

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=2122

Re: DAB 11D

<u57cqm$2d0ab$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8035&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8035

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 12:59:18 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 31 May 2023 11:59 UTC

On Wed 31/05/2023 11:00, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 30/05/2023 17:05, Woody wrote:
>>> Well, D1 (11D) has fewer transmitters than the Beeb, however both
>>> muxes are transmitted from Emley, High Hunsley, and Belmont, which
>>> more or less are the sites that serve your route, so I'm surprised D1
>>> is noticeably poorer. It might suffer from CCI from across the North
>>> Sea more than the Beeb mux possibly ?
>>
>> Interestingly D1 appears to be radiated from an Anglia Water tower at
>> Clayton Street in Lincoln. I would have expected that to help somewhat?
> And it carries the Beeb too, so even more mysterious seeing that the
> Beeb and D1 site share everything serving Bill's lurve route ?
>
> http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=2122

I stand corrected. I was not aware of a tall gas tower in Licoln, but
you live and learn!

Re: DAB 11D

<a03be816-af78-4df5-a7ae-47abc3a11411n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8041&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8041

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 10:15:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsaerials@f2s.com (wrightsaerials@aol.com)
 by: wrightsaerials@aol.c - Wed, 31 May 2023 17:15 UTC

On Tuesday, 30 May 2023 at 12:36:50 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:

> Well, D1 (11D) has fewer transmitters than the Beeb, however both muxes
> are transmitted from Emley, High Hunsley, and Belmont, which more or
> less are the sites that serve your route, so I'm surprised D1 is
> noticeably poorer. It might suffer from CCI from across the North Sea
> more than the Beeb mux possibly ?
Is 11D transmitted at the same power as the BBC mux? There's a very significant difference between the two along my route.
Bill

Re: DAB 11D

<0217c144-3c31-4ac4-8fdd-bbad60ceea78n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8042&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8042

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 31 May 2023 10:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: wrightsaerials@f2s.com (wrightsaerials@aol.com)
 by: wrightsaerials@aol.c - Wed, 31 May 2023 17:20 UTC

On Wednesday, 31 May 2023 at 11:00:24 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:

> http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=2122
That explains why reception of 11D is solid in N Hykeham where I visit. It drops out as soon as I get towards Doddington however, unlike the BBC mux.

Bill

Re: DAB 11D

<u59ll8$2o94d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8049&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8049

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 09:42:15 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 08:42 UTC

Indeed, the same can be said for Goon Shows. Some have in fact had the
edited out bits spliced back in. It appears that a lot of the Indian
references were taken out for the World service.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"wrightsaerials@aol.com" <wrightsaerials@f2s.com> wrote in message
On Tuesday, 30 May 2023 at 11:15:05 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 30/05/2023 03:06, wrights...@aol.com wrote:
> > Is the Digital 1 DAB mux on 11D actually a SFN? It doesn't seem to work
> > as one in the area covered by both Emley Moor and Belmont.
> > Bill
> I would suspect the current lift conditions, bringing in a more distant
> 11D transmitter from beyond the magic 78km away, or (less likely) either
> Emley or Belmont's 11D transmitters have lost their GPS timing ref.
Hi Mark, as you know I am enamoured of a fair matron of Lincoln, so I have
been travelling back and forth a lot since November. Reception of the 11D
stations has never been good. It's OK in North Hykeham (where there's very
little Emley UHF but usable Waltham and Belmont) but once I get into
Doddington and the nearby tree-lined rural roads it's very poor. It drops
out in all the villages between Torksey and Gainsborough, and in
Gainsborough itself. Also in Bawtry and Tickhill. I must try to take note of
what happens around Gringley, where Emley is completely screened. The BBC
mux is solid for the whole journey. (incidentally I listened to Round the
Horne on R4ex yesterday and I'm surprised wokery didn't prevent its
transmission. It was absolutely hilarious.)

Re: DAB 11D

<u5adrc$2qs1o$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8056&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8056

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2023 16:35:08 +0100
 by: MB - Thu, 1 Jun 2023 15:35 UTC

On 01/06/2023 09:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
> Indeed, the same can be said for Goon Shows. Some have in fact had the
> edited out bits spliced back in. It appears that a lot of the Indian
> references were taken out for the World service.

Though I suspect most of the Indian community would be happy with them
being left in, it tends to be sandal wearing, Cayman Island Guardian
readers who complain.