There never was a good war or a bad peace. -- B. Franklin

aus+uk / uk.railway / Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood

SubjectAuthor
* Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhoodRecliner
+* Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhoodRoland Perry
|`* Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhoodRecliner
| `* Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhoodMarland
|  `* Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhoodRecliner
|   `* Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhoodCharles Ellson
|    `* Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhoodRoland Perry
|     `- Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhoodRecliner
`- Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhoodRecliner

1
Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood

<8c302j1pvcq7gnhtjvuefomt6ujg0hl16q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80111&group=uk.railway#80111

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:08:09 +0100
 by: Recliner - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 18:08 UTC

We've occasionally discussed whether OOC will one day become a destination in its own right, rather than just a junction
between routes. Most here were sceptical, but I've been watching how the area round it is being transformed already.

For example, one development about half a mile to the west is One West Point, which sounds like it should be next door
to the US military academy. It's very close to North Acton Tube station (which provides easy connections to the Liz in
both directions), and perhaps 15 minutes walk to the future OOC station. Here's some pics I took today:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72177720316289823

It has four residential buildings, the tallest of which is higher than the Gherkin or the main BT Tower building, and is
the tallest residential building outside Canary Wharf. In total, there are 362 apartments just in this one development,
but there are many more new towers around it.

Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood

<N9F5l6T$CCImFAwr@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80115&group=uk.railway#80115

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:19:27 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:19 UTC

In message <8c302j1pvcq7gnhtjvuefomt6ujg0hl16q@4ax.com>, at 19:08:09 on
Wed, 17 Apr 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>We've occasionally discussed whether OOC will one day become a
>destination in its own right, rather than just a junction
>between routes. Most here were sceptical, but I've been watching how
>the area round it is being transformed already.
>
>For example, one development about half a mile to the west is One West
>Point, which sounds like it should be next door to the US military
>academy. It's very close to North Acton Tube station (which provides
>easy connections to the Liz in both directions), and perhaps 15 minutes
>walk to the future OOC station. Here's some pics I took today:
>
>https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72177720316289823
>
>It has four residential buildings, the tallest of which is higher than
>the Gherkin or the main BT Tower building,

That's student accommodation I think. I drive past from time to time.

>and is the tallest residential building outside Canary Wharf. In total,
>there are 362 apartments just in this one development, but there are
>many more new towers around it.

And yet you have always been in denial that Toton could become such a
destination.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood

<7s802j5chknn3r8e37h8f4m9k7cvbbg2ci@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80118&group=uk.railway#80118

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:47:29 +0100
 by: Recliner - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 19:47 UTC

On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:19:27 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <8c302j1pvcq7gnhtjvuefomt6ujg0hl16q@4ax.com>, at 19:08:09 on
>Wed, 17 Apr 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>We've occasionally discussed whether OOC will one day become a
>>destination in its own right, rather than just a junction
>>between routes. Most here were sceptical, but I've been watching how
>>the area round it is being transformed already.
>>
>>For example, one development about half a mile to the west is One West
>>Point, which sounds like it should be next door to the US military
>>academy. It's very close to North Acton Tube station (which provides
>>easy connections to the Liz in both directions), and perhaps 15 minutes
>>walk to the future OOC station. Here's some pics I took today:
>>
>>https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72177720316289823
>>
>>It has four residential buildings, the tallest of which is higher than
>>the Gherkin or the main BT Tower building,
>
>That's student accommodation I think. I drive past from time to time.

Not those four smart buildings (£500k for a one bed flat), but I think the Imperial College Woodward Building across the
road is a hall of residence. But there's so many new IC buildings in that area that it's hard to keep track of their
functions.

Another large (16 storeys, over 600 units) new student accommodation block nearby is inside the Hanger Lane Gyratory. I
hope the windows are soundproof!

https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/construction-controversial-flats-over-600-24330108

Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood

<l8b2jaFss05U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80121&group=uk.railway#80121

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 17 Apr 2024 22:59:54 GMT
 by: Marland - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:59 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:19:27 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>> In message <8c302j1pvcq7gnhtjvuefomt6ujg0hl16q@4ax.com>, at 19:08:09 on
>> Wed, 17 Apr 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>>> We've occasionally discussed whether OOC will one day become a
>>> destination in its own right, rather than just a junction
>>> between routes. Most here were sceptical, but I've been watching how
>>> the area round it is being transformed already.
>>>
>>> For example, one development about half a mile to the west is One West
>>> Point, which sounds like it should be next door to the US military
>>> academy. It's very close to North Acton Tube station (which provides
>>> easy connections to the Liz in both directions), and perhaps 15 minutes
>>> walk to the future OOC station. Here's some pics I took today:
>>>
>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/albums/72177720316289823
>>>
>>> It has four residential buildings, the tallest of which is higher than
>>> the Gherkin or the main BT Tower building,
>>
>> That's student accommodation I think. I drive past from time to time.
>
> Not those four smart buildings (£500k for a one bed flat), but I think
> the Imperial College Woodward Building across the
> road is a hall of residence. But there's so many new IC buildings in that
> area that it's hard to keep track of their
> functions.
>
> Another large (16 storeys, over 600 units) new student accommodation
> block nearby is inside the Hanger Lane Gyratory. I
> hope the windows are soundproof!
>
> https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/construction-controversial-flats-over-600-24330108

Bugger me, I can remember my Parents and Grandparents lamenting the
imminent demolition of the Chiswick Empire and a “Skyscraper” being built .
Empire House was a mere 8 stories.

GH

Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood

<ph_TN.28674$jC2.11116@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80122&group=uk.railway#80122

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:01:09 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:01 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Apr 2024 20:19:27 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <8c302j1pvcq7gnhtjvuefomt6ujg0hl16q@4ax.com>, at 19:08:09 on
>>> Wed, 17 Apr 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> That's student accommodation I think. I drive past from time to time.
>>
>> Not those four smart buildings (£500k for a one bed flat), but I think
>> the Imperial College Woodward Building across the
>> road is a hall of residence. But there's so many new IC buildings in that
>> area that it's hard to keep track of their
>> functions.
>>
>> Another large (16 storeys, over 600 units) new student accommodation
>> block nearby is inside the Hanger Lane Gyratory. I
>> hope the windows are soundproof!
>>
>> https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/construction-controversial-flats-over-600-24330108
>>

> Bugger me, I can remember my Parents and Grandparents lamenting the
> imminent demolition of the Chiswick Empire and a “Skyscraper” being built .
> Empire House was a mere 8 stories.

I'd seen those buildings from the A40, but hadn't realised the tallest was
54 storeys, slightly higher than the old BT Tower. I suspect that this
development predated the OOC plans, but it's a sign of how that part of
inner suburbia is developing.

Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood

<ol122jppgba9p5dlspu4selv0jhtiulp54@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80158&group=uk.railway#80158

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:47:15 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:47 UTC

Another nearby building (which I didn't photograph) was named Rehearsal Rooms. I initially assumed it must be what the
name suggested, perhaps serving a TV or film studio. But it looked like just more flats, and so it proved:

https://rehearsalrooms.com/blog/behind-name-actons-rehearsal-rooms/

https://www.newgroundarchitects.com/projects/rehearsal-rooms/

Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood

<cbt22jdvvtu7cbq9f570o99jog483lntr1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80181&group=uk.railway#80181

From: charlesellson@btinternet.com (Charles Ellson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 20:36:53 +0100
 by: Charles Ellson - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 19:36 UTC

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:01:09 GMT, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Not those four smart buildings (£500k for a one bed flat), but I think
>>> the Imperial College Woodward Building across the
>>> road is a hall of residence. But there's so many new IC buildings in that
>>> area that it's hard to keep track of their
>>> functions.
>>>
>>> Another large (16 storeys, over 600 units) new student accommodation
>>> block nearby is inside the Hanger Lane Gyratory. I
>>> hope the windows are soundproof!
>>>
>>> https://www.mylondon.news/news/west-london-news/construction-controversial-flats-over-600-24330108
>>>

>> Bugger me, I can remember my Parents and Grandparents lamenting the
>> imminent demolition of the Chiswick Empire and a “Skyscraper” being built .
>> Empire House was a mere 8 stories.
>>

>I'd seen those buildings from the A40, but hadn't realised the tallest was
>54 storeys, slightly higher than the old BT Tower. I suspect that this
>development predated the OOC plans, but it's a sign of how that part of
>inner suburbia is developing.

That bit possibly has little else it could be used for. The original
work paused during COVID and for some time the main presence was a
couple of lone lift shafts, one with a Irish flag on top.

Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood

<tLORYc9RLfImFAHK@perry.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80195&group=uk.railway#80195

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 05:28:01 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 04:28 UTC

In message <cbt22jdvvtu7cbq9f570o99jog483lntr1@4ax.com>, at 20:36:53 on
Thu, 18 Apr 2024, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
remarked:
>On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:01:09 GMT, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Bugger me, I can remember my Parents and Grandparents lamenting the
>>> imminent demolition of the Chiswick Empire and a “Skyscraper” being built .
>>> Empire House was a mere 8 stories.
>>>

>>I'd seen those buildings from the A40, but hadn't realised the tallest was
>>54 storeys, slightly higher than the old BT Tower. I suspect that this
>>development predated the OOC plans, but it's a sign of how that part of
>>inner suburbia is developing.
>>
>That bit possibly has little else it could be used for. The original
>work paused during COVID and for some time the main presence was a
>couple of lone lift shafts, one with a Irish flag on top.

And they've been planning OOC since the original HS2 bill was drafted
and put before Parliament. That was ages ago.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood

<8xqUN.468983$7uxe.144648@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80213&group=uk.railway#80213

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 09:09:24 GMT
 by: Recliner - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 09:09 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <cbt22jdvvtu7cbq9f570o99jog483lntr1@4ax.com>, at 20:36:53 on
> Thu, 18 Apr 2024, Charles Ellson <charlesellson@btinternet.com>
> remarked:
>> On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 01:01:09 GMT, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'd seen those buildings from the A40, but hadn't realised the tallest was
>>> 54 storeys, slightly higher than the old BT Tower. I suspect that this
>>> development predated the OOC plans, but it's a sign of how that part of
>>> inner suburbia is developing.
>>>
>> That bit possibly has little else it could be used for. The original
>> work paused during COVID and for some time the main presence was a
>> couple of lone lift shafts, one with a Irish flag on top.
>
> And they've been planning OOC since the original HS2 bill was drafted
> and put before Parliament. That was ages ago.

The original planning permission was given in February 2017, so, yes, the
OOC station would have been on the horizon. But I suspect that Crossrail
rather then HS2 was the bigger attraction, and that can be reached more
conveniently via North Acton tube station.

I see that two more even taller developments have been approved for the
same area:

https://www.bdonline.co.uk/news/pilbrows-acton-towers-get-the-nod-from-planners/5125954.article

aus+uk / uk.railway / Old Oak Common's growing neighbourhood