The Hollywood tradition I like best is called "sucking up to the stars." -- Johnny Carson

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: Long wave again.

SubjectAuthor
* Long wave again.Brian Gaff
+* Re: Long wave again.charles
|`- Re: Long wave again.Brian Gaff
`* Re: Long wave again.Rink
 `* Re: Long wave again.Woody
  +* Re: Long wave again.Scott
  |`- Re: Long wave again.Rink
  `- Re: Long wave again.Rink

1
Long wave again.

<u5mnsb$m5ab$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8186&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8186

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Long wave again.
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 08:39:53 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 07:39 UTC

So the long wave band is seemingly full of blank carriers, and has been
going that way for some years. What are all these stations? They must be
quite powerful, and if you beat a bfo with them you can hear on many low bit
rate frequency shift keying going on. So this must still be used by
somebody. Seems a big wast of a transmitter.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Long wave again.

<5ab02bcfb3charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8187&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8187

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 23 08:00:02 UTC
Subject: Re: Long wave again.
 by: charles - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 08:00 UTC

In article <u5mnsb$m5ab$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
wrote:
> So the long wave band is seemingly full of blank carriers, and has been
> going that way for some years. What are all these stations? They must be
> quite powerful, and if you beat a bfo with them you can hear on many low
> bit rate frequency shift keying going on. So this must still be used by
> somebody. Seems a big wast of a transmitter. Brian

Possibly Russia, because of the size of the country

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té

Re: Long wave again.

<u5nf5c$oka6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8189&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8189

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 15:17:14 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 6 Jun 2023 14:17 UTC

I wondered if it was a cheap way to move data one way. Have you listened, it
sounds a bit like RTTY.
I have no way of decoding the frequency shifts as they are small and lower
than the ear can hear and only notice if you beat a signal with them and
narrow the bandwidth. These are very strong, and they are not, I think, from
Russia.
Brian

--

--:
"charles" <charles@candehope.me.uk> wrote in message
> In article <u5mnsb$m5ab$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> So the long wave band is seemingly full of blank carriers, and has been
>> going that way for some years. What are all these stations? They must be
>> quite powerful, and if you beat a bfo with them you can hear on many low
>> bit rate frequency shift keying going on. So this must still be used by
>> somebody. Seems a big wast of a transmitter. Brian
>
> Possibly Russia, because of the size of the country
>
> --
> from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4t�
> "I'd rather die of exhaustion than die of boredom" Thomas Carlyle

Re: Long wave again.

<u5psr1$14i0p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8211&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8211

From: rink.hof.haalditmaarweg@planet.nl (Rink)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 14:22:53 +0200
 by: Rink - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 12:22 UTC

Op 6-6-2023 om 9:39 schreef Brian Gaff:
> So the long wave band is seemingly full of blank carriers, and has
> been going that way for some years. What are all these stations? They
> must be quite powerful, and if you beat a bfo with them you can hear
> on many low bit rate frequency shift keying going on. So this must
> still be used by somebody. Seems a big wast of a transmitter. Brian

I only know 162 kHz Allouis (France).
It's for clocks, as far as I know.
It is 800 kW (!).
But they will reduce it to 300 kW.
Still a lot of energy.....

Do you hear more blank carriers?

Rink

Re: Long wave again.

<u5qdk0$16baq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8221&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8221

From: harrogate3@ntlworld.com (Woody)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2023 18:09:19 +0100
 by: Woody - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 17:09 UTC

On Wed 07/06/2023 13:22, Rink wrote:
> Op 6-6-2023 om 9:39 schreef Brian Gaff:
>> So the long wave band is seemingly full of blank carriers, and has
>> been going that way for some years. What are all these stations? They
>> must be quite powerful, and if you beat a bfo with them you can hear
>> on many low bit rate frequency shift keying going on. So this must
>> still be used by somebody. Seems a big wast of a transmitter. Brian
>>

> I only know 162 kHz Allouis (France).
> It's for clocks, as far as I know.
> It is 800 kW (!).
> But they will reduce it to 300 kW.
> Still a lot of energy.....
>
> Do you hear more blank carriers?

I think Allouis is now only a frequency standard. I did carry the TDF
time data (don't know if it still does) but its interesting that
anything commonly available - such as digital clocks - only ever seem to
use MSF on 60khz or DCF on 77.5khz? Maybe TDF is only used in France?

Re: Long wave again.

<prg18i5na5ch8colu568677qpqqp419r9r@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8223&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8223

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 18:53:33 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 7 Jun 2023 17:53 UTC

On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 18:09:19 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
wrote:
[snip]

>> Do you hear more blank carriers?
>
>I think Allouis is now only a frequency standard. I did carry the TDF
>time data (don't know if it still does) but its interesting that
>anything commonly available - such as digital clocks - only ever seem to
>use MSF on 60khz or DCF on 77.5khz? Maybe TDF is only used in France?

I believe Kalundborg is or was news and shipping forecasts only:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalundborg_Transmitter

Would this mean a blank carrier for the rest of the time?

Re: Long wave again.

<u93ogh$19k62$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8571&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8571

From: rink.hof.haalditmaarweg@planet.nl (Rink)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 17:59:12 +0200
 by: Rink - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 15:59 UTC

Op 7-6-2023 om 19:09 schreef Woody:
> On Wed 07/06/2023 13:22, Rink wrote:
>> Op 6-6-2023 om 9:39 schreef Brian Gaff:
>>> So the long wave band is seemingly full of blank carriers, and has
>>> been going that way for some years. What are all these stations? They
>>> must be quite powerful, and if you beat a bfo with them you can hear
>>> on many low bit rate frequency shift keying going on. So this must
>>> still be used by somebody. Seems a big wast of a transmitter. Brian
>>>

>> I only know 162 kHz Allouis (France).
>> It's for clocks, as far as I know.
>> It is 800 kW (!).
>> But they will reduce it to 300 kW.
>> Still a lot of energy.....
>>
>> Do you hear more blank carriers?
>>

> I think Allouis is now only a frequency standard. I did carry the TDF
> time data (don't know if it still does) but its interesting that
> anything commonly available - such as digital clocks - only ever seem to
> use MSF on 60khz or DCF on 77.5khz? Maybe TDF is only used in France?

TDF is only used in France.
Maybe the French speaking parts of Belgium and Switserland?

I thought I read somewhere that thousends of clocks
on railway stations in France use the 162 kHz.
So it's really a thing to switch Allouis off.....

UK use 60 kHz.
Germany and Netherlands use DCF 77,5 kHz.
Both using not so much power as Allouis....

Rink

Re: Long wave again.

<u93p75$19mii$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8572&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8572

From: rink.hof.haalditmaarweg@planet.nl (Rink)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 18:11:16 +0200
 by: Rink - Mon, 17 Jul 2023 16:11 UTC

Op 7-6-2023 om 19:53 schreef Scott:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2023 18:09:19 +0100, Woody <harrogate3@ntlworld.com>
> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>> Do you hear more blank carriers?
>>
>> I think Allouis is now only a frequency standard. I did carry the TDF
>> time data (don't know if it still does) but its interesting that
>> anything commonly available - such as digital clocks - only ever seem to
>> use MSF on 60khz or DCF on 77.5khz? Maybe TDF is only used in France?
>
> I believe Kalundborg is or was news and shipping forecasts only:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kalundborg_Transmitter
>
> Would this mean a blank carrier for the rest of the time?

50kW a few hours per day
And the rest of the day a carrier, but only 100 mW....

http://www.mwlist.org/mwlist_quick_and_easy.php?area=1&kHz=243

Rink