From: jon@nospam.cn (jon)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Big yellow muffs
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2023 10:17:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: jon - Mon, 3 Jul 2023 10:17 UTC

Wimbledon has started with the BBC broadcasters using hand held
microphones with yellow wind breaks. Why dont they use radio throat mikes
to reduce background noise.

Re: Big yellow muffs

<u88p72$1a06m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8388&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8388

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Big yellow muffs
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:25:36 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 10:25 UTC

Probably cost cutting.

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"jon" <jon@nospam.cn> wrote in message news:u7u77t$3ltij$1@dont-email.me...
> Wimbledon has started with the BBC broadcasters using hand held
> microphones with yellow wind breaks. Why dont they use radio throat mikes
> to reduce background noise.

Re: Big yellow muffs

<kgqaarFp056U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8389&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8389

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:13:30 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 11:13 UTC

On 03/07/2023 11:17, jon wrote:
> Wimbledon has started with the BBC broadcasters using hand held
> microphones with yellow wind breaks. Why dont they use radio throat mikes
> to reduce background noise.

Throat mics in that situation would probably need a radio channel, as
well as one for the interviewee, and there may be too many in use by the
organisers for the BBC to grab a few channels for their use.

If background noise is a problem, the lip mics that football
commentators used to use are a relatively cheap and very effective
option, but they do obscure the face, so aren't really a good solution
for an on screen interview.

I'm waiting for them to do an outdoor interview, but are the windshields
branded?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Big yellow muffs

<slrnuag0fe.nic.abuse@news.pr.network>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8390&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8390

From: abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2023 12:15:43 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:15 UTC

On Fri, 7 Jul 2023 12:13:30 +0100, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

> On 03/07/2023 11:17, jon wrote:
>> Wimbledon has started with the BBC broadcasters using hand held
>> microphones with yellow wind breaks. Why dont they use radio throat mikes
>> to reduce background noise.

I haven't detected any particular problem with background noise.
Stick mics are easier to handle - you just pick them up or hand one to somebody.

> Throat mics in that situation would probably need a radio channel, as
> well as one for the interviewee, and there may be too many in use by the
> organisers for the BBC to grab a few channels for their use.

When I worked there in 2010, there was a blanket ban on any radio mics.,
talkbacks and cameras. Not surprising when you consider how many broadcasters
from around the world are there, and how few channels there are.
Supply is nowhere near demand. So the answer is obvious - cable everything - to
avoid a free-for-all which would upset everybody.

Re: Big yellow muffs

<lv3obi953tioiu635tq5r7bbnedtgkelin@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8598&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8598

From: graham-usenet@mail.com (Graham.)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 18:31:34 +0100
 by: Graham. - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 17:31 UTC

Have throat mics ever had a place in broadcasting?
I associate them with WWII bomber pilots, and Admiral Nelson wore one
when piloting the Flying Sub, always remembering to adjust it before
speaking in case the viewers thought he was talking to himself.

>I'm waiting for them to do an outdoor interview, but are the windshields
>branded?

I could never play tennis at that level. I hate barley water.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Re: Big yellow muffs

<5ac812f101charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8599&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8599

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 23 18:00:02 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Sat, 22 Jul 2023 18:00 UTC

In article <lv3obi953tioiu635tq5r7bbnedtgkelin@4ax.com>,
Graham. <graham-usenet@mail.com> wrote:
> Have throat mics ever had a place in broadcasting?
> I associate them with WWII bomber pilots, and Admiral Nelson wore one
> when piloting the Flying Sub, always remembering to adjust it before
> speaking in case the viewers thought he was talking to himself.

> >I'm waiting for them to do an outdoor interview, but are the windshields
> >branded?

> I could never play tennis at that level. I hate barley water.

yes, throat mics were used by BBC Radio in situations where there might be
a lot of external noice - like football matches.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té