Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up cameras

SubjectAuthor
* fake greetings, or pre-set-up camerasJ. P. Gilliver
`* Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up camerasMB
 `* Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up camerasJ. P. Gilliver
  +* Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up camerasMB
  |`- Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up camerasJ. P. Gilliver
  `* Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up camerasPaul Ratcliffe
   `- Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up camerasJ. P. Gilliver

1
fake greetings, or pre-set-up cameras

<ymjLvXcey3xkFwXC@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8743&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8743

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 10:19:26 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: fake greetings, or pre-set-up cameras
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 09:19 UTC

I am most aware of it on things like "long lost family", where the
presenter is seen entering the home of the participant - from inside the
home; but minor versions are everywhere, such as this morning where the
presenter mounted a pea-harvesting machine (similar in size to a
combine), and was greeted by its usual operator - but the greeting was
seen from cameras already in the cab.

I understand that a lot of TV involves such subterfuge, but I find these
deceptions fairly obvious and thus irritating. Surely their time should
have passed?

(Not sure if there's much "tech" about this, sorry. Maybe aspects of the
camera[s].)

science is not intended to be foolproof. Science is about crawling toward the
truth over time. - Scott Adams, 2015-2-2

Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up cameras

<ua8d02$39kc0$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8744&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8744

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up cameras
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:29:38 +0100
 by: MB - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 13:29 UTC

On 31/07/2023 10:19, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> I understand that a lot of TV involves such subterfuge, but I find these
> deceptions fairly obvious and thus irritating. Surely their time should
> have passed?

So what alternative do you have?

Presenter carrying a handheld camera, police style camera clipped to his
jacket, cameraman following him around in 'Challenge Anneka' style?

Don't warn the person in advance and have everything done spontaneously?

Presumably also dispense with the multiple shots from different
viewpoints as well?

By the way I notice a few weeks ago that Nicky Campbell said he never
looks at any photographs in advance so he sees for the first time at the
same time as the victim.

At least he claimed that.

Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up cameras

<BORHFTfUw$xkFwSN@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8750&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8750

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2023 19:23:16 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 31 Jul 2023 18:23 UTC

In message <ua8d02$39kc0$2@dont-email.me> at Mon, 31 Jul 2023 14:29:38,
MB <MB@nospam.net> writes
>On 31/07/2023 10:19, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> I understand that a lot of TV involves such subterfuge, but I find
>>these deceptions fairly obvious and thus irritating. Surely their
>>time should have passed?
>

>So what alternative do you have?
>

>Presenter carrying a handheld camera, police style camera clipped to
>his jacket, cameraman following him around in 'Challenge Anneka' style?
>
>Don't warn the person in advance and have everything done spontaneously?

I don't have an easy answer - but saying "and then we called on", or
similar, and showing the presenter going up to the door and ringing the
bell, then seeing - from inside - the door being opened and them being
greeted, seems so corny.

It happened in so many prog.s in a short time last night that I was
prompted to make the post. I think it's the obvious pretence - the
people involved are not actors, so I am not criticising them - that the
visit is a surprise, and they haven't met the person or anyone to do
with the prog. before (or at least haven't for a while). Not just LLF -
almost any "documentary", where the local person - sometimes expert (in
the field being discussed, not presenting) - is being "visited". Shop,
home, ...

>Presumably also dispense with the multiple shots from different
>viewpoints as well?
>
>By the way I notice a few weeks ago that Nicky Campbell said he never
>looks at any photographs in advance so he sees for the first time at
>the same time as the victim.
>
>At least he claimed that.

Would like to believe so, though the above doesn't make me very
convinced. But he's probably at the mercy of the producers.

Religion often uses faith as a blindfold, saying anyone who doesn't believe
the same as us must be wiped out. It's not God saying that. It's people, which
is so dangerous. - Jenny Agutter, RT 2015/1/17-23

Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up cameras

<uaacvu$3jr0i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8754&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8754

From: MB@nospam.net (MB)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 08:41:50 +0100
 by: MB - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 07:41 UTC

On 31/07/2023 19:23, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> I don't have an easy answer - but saying "and then we called on", or
> similar, and showing the presenter going up to the door and ringing the
> bell, then seeing - from inside - the door being opened and them being
> greeted, seems so corny.

Would it be any less corny to have a camera outside and someone ringing
the door bell then introducing themselves to a stranger.

Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up cameras

<2tp6NRr4HRykFwPB@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8770&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8770

Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2023 15:08:56 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 1 Aug 2023 14:08 UTC

In message <uaacvu$3jr0i$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 1 Aug 2023 08:41:50,
MB <MB@nospam.net> writes
>On 31/07/2023 19:23, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> I don't have an easy answer - but saying "and then we called on", or
>>similar, and showing the presenter going up to the door and ringing
>>the bell, then seeing - from inside - the door being opened and them
>>being greeted, seems so corny.
>

>Would it be any less corny to have a camera outside and someone ringing
>the door bell then introducing themselves to a stranger.

Well, for "Long Lost Family", where they're basically reporting back (to
someone they've spoken to before) on what progress they've made (and
presumably only when they have made some: if none, I presume it doesn't
get into the prog.), yes - though it isn't a stranger. For other prog.s
(and for LLF itself for that matter), do we need the "greet/meet" scene
at all?

How do you govern a country that seems to have decided that facts are the work
of the devil? - Andy Hamilton on HIGNFY, 2010

Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up cameras

<slrnucoeg7.1jec.abuse@news.pr.network>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8783&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8783

From: abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2023 23:36:40 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Thu, 3 Aug 2023 23:36 UTC

On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 19:23:16 +0100, J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

> I don't have an easy answer - but saying "and then we called on", or
> similar, and showing the presenter going up to the door and ringing the
> bell, then seeing - from inside - the door being opened and them being
> greeted, seems so corny.

Like making the tea? Was that not what happened to you?

Re: fake greetings, or pre-set-up cameras

<sBE8WKMLrEzkFwXb@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=8784&group=uk.tech.broadcast#8784

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2023 01:48:11 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 4 Aug 2023 00:48 UTC

In message <slrnucoeg7.1jec.abuse@news.pr.network> at Thu, 3 Aug 2023
23:36:40, Paul Ratcliffe <abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78> writes
>On Mon, 31 Jul 2023 19:23:16 +0100, J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>> I don't have an easy answer - but saying "and then we called on", or
>> similar, and showing the presenter going up to the door and ringing the
>> bell, then seeing - from inside - the door being opened and them being
>> greeted, seems so corny.
>
>Like making the tea? Was that not what happened to you?

Wow, if you're remembering that I was once bearded in my lair, you've
got a good memory! That was about the non-direct-debit surcharge on
utility bills. I don't _think_ I made them tea - I think the finished
article did feature some stock footage of a gas hob, and possibly me
turning off something on my central heating controller, since it made a
nice loud click. But at least that was plausible.

I admire him for the constancy of his curiosity, his effortless sense of
authority and his ability to deliver good science without gimmicks.
- Michael Palin on Sir David Attenborough, RT 2016/5/7-13