10.0 times 0.1 is hardly ever 1.0.

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

SubjectAuthor
* Subtitle background (or lack thereof)J. P. Gilliver
`* Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)Brian Gaff
 `* Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)JMB99
  +- Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)Brian Gaff
  `* Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)Liz Tuddenham
   +- Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)J. P. Gilliver
   +- Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)JMB99
   `* Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)tony sayer
    `* Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)Brian Gaff
     `- Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)J. P. Gilliver

1
Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

<fYh4GspfTN$kFwhi@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9065&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9065

Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2023 21:26:07 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 9 Sep 2023 20:26 UTC

Watching LNOTP, waiting for the party to start; the last piece of
(fairly) serious music has in-vision subtitles (I presume it's not in
English).

They are of the white-text-on-a-thin-black-outline type.

WHEN is somebody going to finally admit that those DON'T WORK, if
there's a varied background image? The bits over the lighter parts of
the image are hard to read. Yes, I realise they're technically very
clever, making the black cutout slightly outside the lettering. (And no,
there's nothing wrong with my telly.) Oh, the text telling me what the
next piece is, is similarly hard to read, for the same reason.

I've got the normal SD subtitles on - we're now in between pieces, so
the commentators are chatting - and those (with their solid black
background strips) are _so_ much easier to read.

Quantum particles: the dreams that stuff is made of - David Moser

Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

<udk0u8$h4ri$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9068&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9068

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 10:06:16 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 09:06 UTC

I never knew about his, being very much blind these days, but its rather
like when we used to get paper magazine articles with the text written
across bits of a picture in very low contrast colours. Nobody could read
those either.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote in message
> Watching LNOTP, waiting for the party to start; the last piece of (fairly)
> serious music has in-vision subtitles (I presume it's not in English).
>
> They are of the white-text-on-a-thin-black-outline type.
>
> WHEN is somebody going to finally admit that those DON'T WORK, if there's
> a varied background image? The bits over the lighter parts of the image
> are hard to read. Yes, I realise they're technically very clever, making
> the black cutout slightly outside the lettering. (And no, there's nothing
> wrong with my telly.) Oh, the text telling me what the next piece is, is
> similarly hard to read, for the same reason.
>
> I've got the normal SD subtitles on - we're now in between pieces, so the
> commentators are chatting - and those (with their solid black background
> strips) are _so_ much easier to read.
> --
> J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
>
> Quantum particles: the dreams that stuff is made of - David Moser

Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

<udkan1$if7o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9069&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9069

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2023 12:53:05 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Sun, 10 Sep 2023 11:53 UTC

On 10/09/2023 10:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
> I never knew about his, being very much blind these days, but its rather
> like when we used to get paper magazine articles with the text written
> across bits of a picture in very low contrast colours. Nobody could read
> those either.

Still happens, it is considered artistic!

Morrisons had a range of ready meals with yellow text on a light green
background. Many other ready meals have other unreadable instructions.

Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

<udmnpm$10le7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9070&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9070

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 10:48:37 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 09:48 UTC

I know, we blind now have to use an app to read the bar code, and if we are
lucky there will be info on that as well.
Brian

--

--:
"JMB99" <mb@nospam.net> wrote in message news:udkan1$if7o$1@dont-email.me...
> On 10/09/2023 10:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> I never knew about his, being very much blind these days, but its rather
>> like when we used to get paper magazine articles with the text written
>> across bits of a picture in very low contrast colours. Nobody could read
>> those either.
>

> Still happens, it is considered artistic!
>
> Morrisons had a range of ready meals with yellow text on a light green
> background. Many other ready meals have other unreadable instructions.

Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

<1qgwbzz.13uyqz1161ugj6N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9071&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9071

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:03:14 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:03 UTC

JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

> On 10/09/2023 10:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
> > I never knew about his, being very much blind these days, but its rather
> > like when we used to get paper magazine articles with the text written
> > across bits of a picture in very low contrast colours. Nobody could read
> > those either.
>

> Still happens, it is considered artistic!
>
> Morrisons had a range of ready meals with yellow text on a light green
> background. Many other ready meals have other unreadable instructions.

A few years ago I needed to look up the e-mail address of someone at a
nearby arts-based educational establishment. Their website was
impossible to read, with yellow lettering on a white beckground and I
eventually derived the information I needed by downloading the source
code and reading it from there..

In my e-mail I mentioned how dreadful the website was and I hoped the
extablishment would use it as a shining example to the students of how
NOT to write a website. Unknown to me, they had recently started a
website design department and that website had been written by the head
of department.

My contact circulated my e-mail to the students and staff, where it
apparently caused a certain amount of amusement.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

<AAX$gd4FQx$kFwCQ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9072&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9072

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:20:05 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 13:20 UTC

In message <1qgwbzz.13uyqz1161ugj6N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> at
Mon, 11 Sep 2023 14:03:14, Liz Tuddenham
<liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> writes
[]
>A few years ago I needed to look up the e-mail address of someone at a
>nearby arts-based educational establishment. Their website was
>impossible to read, with yellow lettering on a white beckground and I
>eventually derived the information I needed by downloading the source
>code and reading it from there..

Sometimes just dragging the mouse over the relevant part of the page
will highlight it in a more legible combination, or at least let you
copy and paste it to something. Though to do so you need to know which
_is_ the relevant part of the page, of course.

>In my e-mail I mentioned how dreadful the website was and I hoped the
>extablishment would use it as a shining example to the students of how
>NOT to write a website. Unknown to me, they had recently started a
>website design department and that website had been written by the head
>of department.
>
>My contact circulated my e-mail to the students and staff, where it
>apparently caused a certain amount of amusement.

What fun!

Imagine a world with no hypothetical situations...

Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

<udnefv$147lq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9073&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9073

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 17:15:59 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 16:15 UTC

On 11/09/2023 14:03, Liz Tuddenham wrote:
> A few years ago I needed to look up the e-mail address of someone at a
> nearby arts-based educational establishment. Their website was
> impossible to read, with yellow lettering on a white beckground and I
> eventually derived the information I needed by downloading the source
> code and reading it from there..

Several times, the only way that I have been able to read some text on a
website has been to highlight it with the mouse.

Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

<RqlXUKBS80$kFwTe@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9075&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9075

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 18:32:02 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Mon, 11 Sep 2023 17:32 UTC

In article <1qgwbzz.13uyqz1161ugj6N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>,
Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> scribeth thus
>JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/09/2023 10:06, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> > I never knew about his, being very much blind these days, but its rather
>> > like when we used to get paper magazine articles with the text written
>> > across bits of a picture in very low contrast colours. Nobody could read
>> > those either.
>>

>> Still happens, it is considered artistic!
>>
>> Morrisons had a range of ready meals with yellow text on a light green
>> background. Many other ready meals have other unreadable instructions.
>

>A few years ago I needed to look up the e-mail address of someone at a
>nearby arts-based educational establishment. Their website was
>impossible to read, with yellow lettering on a white beckground and I
>eventually derived the information I needed by downloading the source
>code and reading it from there..
>
>In my e-mail I mentioned how dreadful the website was and I hoped the
>extablishment would use it as a shining example to the students of how
>NOT to write a website. Unknown to me, they had recently started a
>website design department and that website had been written by the head
>of department.
>
>My contact circulated my e-mail to the students and staff, where it
>apparently caused a certain amount of amusement.

Glad to hear it! Too many webshites are like that, bloody unreadable!..
--
Tony Sayer

Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

<udpv4m$1k0mk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9076&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9076

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 16:12:19 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 15:12 UTC

Yes indeed, strangely enough for a screenreader the colour seldom matters at
all, its keeping the headings and tab order of links and not labelling
buttons as links and vice versa that matters to us. I hate them saying click
the red triangle to the right, when you find its zillions of tabs away and
just labelled link or button or its a picture no alt tag saying red triangle
on it. It takes but a few seconds to do this when writing the page after
all.
Brian

--

--:
"tony sayer" <tony@bancom.co.uk> wrote in message
> In article <1qgwbzz.13uyqz1161ugj6N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>,
> Liz Tuddenham <liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid> scribeth thus
>>JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>>> Still happens, it is considered artistic!
>>>
>>> Morrisons had a range of ready meals with yellow text on a light green
>>> background. Many other ready meals have other unreadable instructions.
>>

>>A few years ago I needed to look up the e-mail address of someone at a
>>nearby arts-based educational establishment. Their website was
>>impossible to read, with yellow lettering on a white beckground and I
>>eventually derived the information I needed by downloading the source
>>code and reading it from there..
>>
>>In my e-mail I mentioned how dreadful the website was and I hoped the
>>extablishment would use it as a shining example to the students of how
>>NOT to write a website. Unknown to me, they had recently started a
>>website design department and that website had been written by the head
>>of department.
>>
>>My contact circulated my e-mail to the students and staff, where it
>>apparently caused a certain amount of amusement.
>>

> Glad to hear it! Too many webshites are like that, bloody unreadable!..
> --
> Tony Sayer
>

> Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
>
> Give him a keyboard, and he will reveal himself.

Re: Subtitle background (or lack thereof)

<ukX$1CHPsKAlFwJn@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9077&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9077

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 19:16:47 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 12 Sep 2023 18:16 UTC

In message <udpv4m$1k0mk$1@dont-email.me> at Tue, 12 Sep 2023 16:12:19,
Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>Yes indeed, strangely enough for a screenreader the colour seldom matters at
>all, its keeping the headings and tab order of links and not labelling
>buttons as links and vice versa that matters to us. I hate them saying click
>the red triangle to the right, when you find its zillions of tabs away and
>just labelled link or button or its a picture no alt tag saying red triangle
>on it. It takes but a few seconds to do this when writing the page after
>all.
> Brian

In theory, you can I think report them - if American, anyway - under the
Americans with Disabilities act (or some such name); I think we may even
have something similar. In practice, it's going to be far too much
trouble (especially here) - the problem usually not being the
illegality, but actually getting some person to understand what the
problem actually _is_.

The bottleneck is always at the top of the bottle. - Attributed to Peter
Drucker (re management), by @Eric_Partaker 2023-7-14