HELLO, everybody, I'm a HUMAN!!

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Green button?

SubjectAuthor
* Green button?Brian Gaff
`* Re: Green button?Mark Carver
 `* Re: Green button?J. P. Gilliver
  +* Re: Green button?Andy Burns
  |`* Re: Green button?J. P. Gilliver
  | +* Re: Green button?Stephen Wolstenholme
  | |+- Re: Green button?Roderick Stewart
  | |+- Re: Green button?Brian Gaff
  | |`- Re: Green button?J. P. Gilliver
  | `- Re: Green button?Brian Gaff
  +* Re: Green button?Mark Carver
  |`* Re: Green button?Brian Gaff
  | `- Re: Green button?Andy Burns
  `- Re: Green button?Brian Gaff

1
Green button?

<ue15ej$35lpl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9078&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9078

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Green button?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:42:55 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 08:42 UTC

What is this increasing use of the press the green button for xxxxx, then. I
get it blurted out during some commercials and programs on my Samsung voice,
and wondered what it was, since selecting green seems to do nothing. I'm
guessing its some form of text on screen that the set is unable to read.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Re: Green button?

<kmimepFnfmeU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9079&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9079

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Green button?
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 10:28:57 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 09:28 UTC

On 15/09/2023 09:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
> What is this increasing use of the press the green button for xxxxx, then. I
> get it blurted out during some commercials and programs on my Samsung voice,
> and wondered what it was, since selecting green seems to do nothing. I'm
> guessing its some form of text on screen that the set is unable to read.

On BBC Channels on Freeview a prompt comes up (for a few seconds)
inviting you to 'Press Green' to start watching the programme from the
start. Obviously it fires up iplayer automatically, and starts playing
the programme.

Re: Green button?

<$$ILDpU2HFBlFwSS@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9080&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9080

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:45:42 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 12:45 UTC

In message <kmimepFnfmeU1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 15 Sep 2023
10:28:57, Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes
>On 15/09/2023 09:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
>> What is this increasing use of the press the green button for xxxxx, then. I
>> get it blurted out during some commercials and programs on my Samsung voice,
>> and wondered what it was, since selecting green seems to do nothing. I'm
>> guessing its some form of text on screen that the set is unable to read.
>>

>On BBC Channels on Freeview a prompt comes up (for a few seconds)
>inviting you to 'Press Green' to start watching the programme from the
>start. Obviously it fires up iplayer automatically, and starts playing
>the programme.

For those with a suitable set, an internet connection, and the two
connected together. I've given up being fed up at "press red to view on
iplayer", or rather commenting on it - it still irritates me no end.

If a cluttered desk is characteristic of a cluttered mind, what does an empty
desk mean ?

Re: Green button?

<kmj30eFpck0U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9081&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9081

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:03:11 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:03 UTC

J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> I've given up being fed up at "press red to view on
> iplayer", or rather commenting on it - it still irritates me no end.

Red button is also the (only?) way to be allowed into 4K/UHD versions of
programmes ...

Re: Green button?

<Rcpwb5YwtFBlFwUJ@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9082&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9082

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:26:08 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 13:26 UTC

In message <kmj30eFpck0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 15 Sep 2023
14:03:11, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> I've given up being fed up at "press red to view on iplayer", or
>>rather commenting on it - it still irritates me no end.
>
>Red button is also the (only?) way to be allowed into 4K/UHD versions
>of programmes ...

Presumably red button AND an internet-connected TV - certainly on
FreeView, I don't think any 4K/UHD is broadcast. But at least I've not
heard voice telling me to press red for 4K/UHD, whereas they're
_constantly_ saying it for iplayer.

If a cluttered desk is characteristic of a cluttered mind, what does an empty
desk mean ?

Re: Green button?

<rkq8gi9icu8keju9780cca3bgr3cmgbrj3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9083&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9083

From: stephen.wolstenholme@outlook.com (Stephen Wolstenholme)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 15:52:20 +0100
 by: Stephen Wolstenholme - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:52 UTC

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:26:08 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver"
<G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:

>In message <kmj30eFpck0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 15 Sep 2023
>14:03:11, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>>J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>
>>> I've given up being fed up at "press red to view on iplayer", or
>>>rather commenting on it - it still irritates me no end.
>>
>>Red button is also the (only?) way to be allowed into 4K/UHD versions
>>of programmes ...
>>
>Presumably red button AND an internet-connected TV - certainly on
>FreeView, I don't think any 4K/UHD is broadcast. But at least I've not
>heard voice telling me to press red for 4K/UHD, whereas they're
>_constantly_ saying it for iplayer.

I have tried the red button. It produces a menu but the iplayer does
not work. I assume an internet "smart" TV is needed. It works OK on a
computer connection but I don't to watch TV on my computer.

Re: Green button?

<kmjb1iFq9m2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9084&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9084

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2023 16:20:18 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Fri, 15 Sep 2023 15:20 UTC

On 15/09/2023 13:45, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
> In message <kmimepFnfmeU1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 15 Sep 2023
> 10:28:57, Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes
>> On 15/09/2023 09:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> What is this increasing use of the press the green button for xxxxx,
>>> then. I
>>> get it blurted out during some commercials and programs on my
>>> Samsung voice,
>>> and wondered what it was, since selecting green seems to do nothing.
>>> I'm
>>> guessing its some form of text on screen that the set is unable to
>>> read.
>>>

>> On BBC Channels on Freeview a prompt comes up (for a few seconds)
>> inviting you to 'Press Green' to start watching the programme from
>> the start. Obviously it fires up iplayer automatically, and starts
>> playing the programme.
>
> For those with a suitable set, an internet connection, and the two
> connected together.

Well, it's not going to appear if you are not equipped with the former
is it !?

Re: Green button?

<gsqagi9sf3sjkv1hnd7n1e0dlqq2rq5vuv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9085&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9085

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 09:54:22 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 08:54 UTC

On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 15:52:20 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
<stephen.wolstenholme@outlook.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:26:08 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver"
><G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <kmj30eFpck0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 15 Sep 2023
>>14:03:11, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes

>>>Red button is also the (only?) way to be allowed into 4K/UHD versions
>>>of programmes ...
>>>
>>Presumably red button AND an internet-connected TV - certainly on
>>FreeView, I don't think any 4K/UHD is broadcast. But at least I've not
>>heard voice telling me to press red for 4K/UHD, whereas they're
>>_constantly_ saying it for iplayer.
>
>I have tried the red button. It produces a menu but the iplayer does
>not work. I assume an internet "smart" TV is needed. It works OK on a
>computer connection but I don't to watch TV on my computer.

Plug a streaming device into your TV and you'll be able to watch
broadcast TV and a million other things in whatever resolution is
available without any extra coloured buttons at all.

Rod.

Re: Green button?

<ue3r6s$3opjh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9086&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9086

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 10:06:30 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 09:06 UTC

Yes you can view the red button content on channel 601 or somesuch in many
cases. Why is it so hard for the sets to be able to read digital text pages,
when the old teletext system had many voice adaptations very very early on.
My guess is that its being mostly displayed as pictures of text, rather than
true ascii characters.
Brian

--

--:
"J. P. Gilliver" <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote in message
> In message <kmimepFnfmeU1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 15 Sep 2023
> 10:28:57, Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes
>>On 15/09/2023 09:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
>>> What is this increasing use of the press the green button for xxxxx,
>>> then. I
>>> get it blurted out during some commercials and programs on my Samsung
>>> voice,
>>> and wondered what it was, since selecting green seems to do nothing. I'm
>>> guessing its some form of text on screen that the set is unable to read.
>>>

>>On BBC Channels on Freeview a prompt comes up (for a few seconds) inviting
>>you to 'Press Green' to start watching the programme from the start.
>>Obviously it fires up iplayer automatically, and starts playing the
>>programme.
>
> For those with a suitable set, an internet connection, and the two
> connected together. I've given up being fed up at "press red to view on
> iplayer", or rather commenting on it - it still irritates me no end.
> --
> J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
>
> If a cluttered desk is characteristic of a cluttered mind, what does an
> empty
> desk mean ?

Re: Green button?

<ue3rne$3osep$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9087&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9087

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 10:15:21 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 09:15 UTC

It won't read thee menu on my Samsung which is a 2020 model and has recently
updated its firmware. I understand you have to update some apps, but since
the red button app is standard it cannot read it so to use it you first need
to get sighted help to create an account on Samsungs tv app store, then
download the latest apps which of course may or not work any better than the
one you have.
These manufacturers, and app writers need to get their heads together and
decide on a standard for the accessibility of said add ons and stick to it,
after all on the web you don't get this, if a screenreader can read a web
site it can read the online system to play the content. Then we hit the
different ways in which you select audio description on each site, and some
don't bother at all.
The whole thing is a bit of a mess.
Brian

--

--:
"Stephen Wolstenholme" <stephen.wolstenholme@outlook.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2023 14:26:08 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver"
> <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <kmj30eFpck0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 15 Sep 2023
>>14:03:11, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes

>>>Red button is also the (only?) way to be allowed into 4K/UHD versions
>>>of programmes ...
>>>
>>Presumably red button AND an internet-connected TV - certainly on
>>FreeView, I don't think any 4K/UHD is broadcast. But at least I've not
>>heard voice telling me to press red for 4K/UHD, whereas they're
>>_constantly_ saying it for iplayer.
>
> I have tried the red button. It produces a menu but the iplayer does
> not work. I assume an internet "smart" TV is needed. It works OK on a
> computer connection but I don't to watch TV on my computer.

Re: Green button?

<ue3s0q$3otrp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9088&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9088

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 10:20:21 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 09:20 UTC

OK so does any broadcaster use the yellow and blue buttons? Any suggestions
for what they could be used for?I could make some silly ones. Blue for porn
and yellow voting on the currently watched program, ie Yellow for custard
tart thrown.
Brian

--

--:
"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 15/09/2023 13:45, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>> In message <kmimepFnfmeU1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 15 Sep 2023
>> 10:28:57, Mark Carver <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> writes
>>>>

>>> On BBC Channels on Freeview a prompt comes up (for a few seconds)
>>> inviting you to 'Press Green' to start watching the programme from the
>>> start. Obviously it fires up iplayer automatically, and starts playing
>>> the programme.
>>
>> For those with a suitable set, an internet connection, and the two
>> connected together.
>
> Well, it's not going to appear if you are not equipped with the former is
> it !?

Re: Green button?

<ue3s6c$3ouo4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9089&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9089

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 10:23:19 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 09:23 UTC

Not for me it won't do anything. I suspect the app it is using is not
working with samsungs screen voicing feature. It could be that I'd need to
update the app, but to do that needs sight and a Samsung account and
password which seems to talk not very well on my paired Bluetooth keyboard.
I do wish companies could get over this problem of not being able to use the
smart features in full with audio feedback. It seems to be the same no
matter what set you have, so you might have to buy a semi intelligent one
and use an Amazon firestick or cube with it as they do allow updates, but
that is yet another remote control.The Samsung already has two to start
with!

Brian

--

--:
> In message <kmj30eFpck0U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 15 Sep 2023
> 14:03:11, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>>J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>>
>>> I've given up being fed up at "press red to view on iplayer", or rather
>>> commenting on it - it still irritates me no end.
>>
>>Red button is also the (only?) way to be allowed into 4K/UHD versions of
>>programmes ...
>>
> Presumably red button AND an internet-connected TV - certainly on
> FreeView, I don't think any 4K/UHD is broadcast. But at least I've not
> heard voice telling me to press red for 4K/UHD, whereas they're
> _constantly_ saying it for iplayer.
> --
> J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf
>
> If a cluttered desk is characteristic of a cluttered mind, what does an
> empty
> desk mean ?

Re: Green button?

<kmlgucF4bk9U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9090&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9090

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 12:13:19 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 11:13 UTC

Brian Gaff wrote:

> does any broadcaster use the yellow and blue buttons?

At one point, the blue button was used from BBC FOUR to display a test card.

Re: Green button?

<pwr+wxD7nfBlFwxv@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9091&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9091

Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2023 19:54:51 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sat, 16 Sep 2023 18:54 UTC

In message <rkq8gi9icu8keju9780cca3bgr3cmgbrj3@4ax.com> at Fri, 15 Sep
2023 15:52:20, Stephen Wolstenholme <stephen.wolstenholme@outlook.com>
writes
[]
>I have tried the red button. It produces a menu but the iplayer does
>not work. I assume an internet "smart" TV is needed. It works OK on a
>computer connection but I don't to watch TV on my computer.

Smart, and actually connected - i. e. you need a capable TV, and an
internet connection, and to have connected your TV to your connection.

Everyone learns from science. It all depends how you use the knowledge. - "Gil
Grissom" (CSI).