Man belongs wherever he wants to go. -- Wernher von Braun

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / BBC News website searches.

SubjectAuthor
* BBC News website searches.JMB99
+* Re: BBC News website searches.Andy Burns
|`* Re: BBC News website searches.J. P. Gilliver
| `- Re: BBC News website searches.Brian Gaff
`- Re: BBC News website searches.Brian Gaff

1
BBC News website searches.

<uek9qs$9qhq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9106&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9106

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: BBC News website searches.
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:54:21 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 14:54 UTC

Does anyone ever manage find things on the BBC news pages with their
search engine?

It must be the worst one ever and rarely finds what I am looking for.

I just read the news item about BBC Four going to show again old drama
series. I went back to look again but it had gone from the menu and a
search does not find it.

Re: BBC News website searches.

<kn5ofoFp7n4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9107&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9107

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: BBC News website searches.
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 16:00:09 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 15:00 UTC

JMB99 wrote:

> Does anyone ever manage find things on the BBC news pages with their
> search engine?

Just use another search engine, pointed to bbc.co.uk

Re: BBC News website searches.

<1Guh3ZvypeDlFwxx@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9109&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9109

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 20:26:42 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:26 UTC

In message <kn5ofoFp7n4U1@mid.individual.net> at Fri, 22 Sep 2023
16:00:09, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> writes
>JMB99 wrote:
>
>> Does anyone ever manage find things on the BBC news pages with their
>>search engine?
>
>Just use another search engine, pointed to bbc.co.uk

Yes, I fear that may be the solution.

Few company website search facilities - including, perhaps especially,
the BBC's - are much cop; most don't have _any_ refinements, such as
boolean or phrase.

Q. How much is 2 + 2?
A. Thank you so much for asking your question.
Are you still having this problem? I'll be delighted to help you. Please
restate the problem twice and include your Windows version along with
all error logs.
- Mayayana in alt.windows7.general, 2018-11-1

Re: BBC News website searches.

<uemafv$o0ff$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9112&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9112

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 10:17:48 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:17 UTC

Oh yes you are right about that search. I wonder what its doing, do you
think its merely a selective subset of google perhaps?

Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"JMB99" <mb@nospam.net> wrote in message news:uek9qs$9qhq$1@dont-email.me...

> Does anyone ever manage find things on the BBC news pages with their
> search engine?
>
> It must be the worst one ever and rarely finds what I am looking for.
>
> I just read the news item about BBC Four going to show again old drama
> series. I went back to look again but it had gone from the menu and a
> search does not find it.

Re: BBC News website searches.

<uemat9$o2hd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9113&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9113

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2023 10:24:53 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 23 Sep 2023 09:24 UTC

My local council one is pretty awful as are many. The guy there told me
recently they were going to add an AI layer to help plus an ai chat bot. I
just smiled and said good luck with that. The point being of course, if the
database used for searches is crap, no amount of AI is going to fix what it
cannot find is it?
I've seen these chatbots in use elsewhere and they cannot really do much
more than tell you what is in the FAQ which you have already seen.
It seems many organisations don't understand that any AI system is only as
good as the data its trained on. They are little more than the expert
systems we used to have that look stuff up and hand it to you. True AI
should understand if your question does not fit the data it has, and be able
to hand you off to a human.
Brian

--

--: