We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds. -- Linus Torvalds

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

SubjectAuthor
* Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytiJMB99
+* Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn?t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD chaJ. P. Gilliver
|`* Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytDavid Paste
| +* Re: Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn?t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HDJ. P. Gilliver
| |+* Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn?t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD chaBob Latham
| ||`* Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn?t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD chaScott
| || `* Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’tTweed
| ||  +- Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn?t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD chaScott
| ||  `- Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytDavid Paste
| |`- Re: Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhereDavid Paste
| `* Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhereMark Carver
|  `- Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD chaDavid Paste
`- Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn't going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD chaBrian Gaff

1
Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<ufgu48$3hc8a$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9218&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9218

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Clean_Feed:_Freeview_isn’t_going_anywhere_anyti
me_soon_but_needs_more_HD_channels
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:32:24 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 11:32 UTC

"Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

Anyone predicting the imminent death of terrestrial TV needs to think again.

The Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer made it clear recently she had no
intentions of allowing Freeview to be switched off."

https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/19268/opinion/freeview-isnt-going-anywhere-anytime-soon-but-needs-more-hd-channels/

Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn?t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<KLt2C8I+RCHlFwWE@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9221&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9221

Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 15:26:06 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn???t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 14:26 UTC

In message <ufgu48$3hc8a$3@dont-email.me> at Tue, 3 Oct 2023 12:32:24,
JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> writes

>"Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels
>
>Anyone predicting the imminent death of terrestrial TV needs to think again.
>
>The Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer made it clear recently she had no
>intentions of allowing Freeview to be switched off."
>

>https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/19268/opinion/freeview-isnt-going-anywhe
>re-anytime-soon-but-needs-more-hd-channels/

"More HD" is a technology change though, assuming it means (as it must,
unless they get back the stolen channels - fat chance of that) less SD -
or, as all but UK call it, more T2 means less T1.

I have four or five at least working - and used - T1 receivers, and only
one T2 (and that only because a distress purchase when the ASDA didn't
_have_ any T1-only ones); I'm sure I'm far from alone, many having T1
only.

From the above article:

"The bigger risk to Freeview is that without more HD it simply will
become a legacy service.

It’s time to contemplate making the technical changes to Freeview to
allow more HD."

I challenge the "legacy" claim: I find, even when watching via my T2
receiver, I watch a fair amount of SD, and even when on HD channels,
rarely notice the extra detail available. (I notice the subtitles look
different.)

(I presume "technical changes" is only bandwidth/channel reallocations;
if they're talking about _further_ changes beyond T2, then that's a
downer too.)

Mike Jackson |\ _,,,---,,_
and Squeak /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ Shame there's no snooze button
[1998] |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'- on a cat who wants breakfast
zzz '---''(_/--' `-'\_)

Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn't going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<ufji4a$4vbl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9241&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9241

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 12:25:58 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 11:25 UTC

Yes, well, I'm sure the internet gurus would love it to go away, as then
everyone would need the internet to get anything and they would be quids in.
This was one reason, I think that the Zealand infrastructure was public
owned, and the service providers simply did services and the billing etc.
The biggest problem I'm hearing about just now is this digital voice thing
being imposed by BT and Virgin, often without pointing out the problems if
the network or mains goes down for vulnerable people.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"JMB99" <mb@nospam.net> wrote in message

> "Freeview isn't going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels
>
> Anyone predicting the imminent death of terrestrial TV needs to think
> again.
>
> The Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer made it clear recently she had no
> intentions of allowing Freeview to be switched off."
>

> https://cleanfeed.thetvroom.com/19268/opinion/freeview-isnt-going-anywhere-anytime-soon-but-needs-more-hd-channels/

Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<81b82237-eda9-4e3c-b2a5-e974fee38b5fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9338&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9338

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 06:03:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Clean_Feed:_Freeview_isn’t_going_anywhere_anyt
ime_soon_but_needs_more_HD_channels
From: pastedavid@gmail.com (David Paste)
 by: David Paste - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 13:03 UTC

On Tuesday, 3 October 2023 at 15:32:32 UTC+1, J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> I have four or five at least working - and used - T1 receivers, and only
> one T2 (and that only because a distress purchase when the ASDA didn't
> _have_ any T1-only ones); I'm sure I'm far from alone, many having T1
> only.

Is there any reason a 720 or 1080 image can't be transmitted on DVB-T1?

Re: Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn?t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<XnpVtMYMoYJlFwnF@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9343&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9343

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 18:29:48 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 17:29 UTC

In message <81b82237-eda9-4e3c-b2a5-e974fee38b5fn@googlegroups.com> at
Tue, 10 Oct 2023 06:03:23, David Paste <pastedavid@gmail.com> writes
>On Tuesday, 3 October 2023 at 15:32:32 UTC+1, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> I have four or five at least working - and used - T1 receivers, and only
>> one T2 (and that only because a distress purchase when the ASDA didn't
>> _have_ any T1-only ones); I'm sure I'm far from alone, many having T1
>> only.
>
>Is there any reason a 720 or 1080 image can't be transmitted on DVB-T1?

Interesting question! I've no idea; I'd assumed not. But if it could, it
would presumably be at only T1 coding efficiency, so take up much (too
much?) of the scarce space available.

(And would all T1 receivers be able to display such an image even if it
could - if say they're built into an SD-only TV, let alone those in
set-top boxes.)

Old professors don't fade away - they just lose their faculties.

Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn?t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<5af14a96c9bob@sick-of-spam.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9344&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9344

From: bob@sick-of-spam.invalid (Bob Latham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 19:49:08 +0100
 by: Bob Latham - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 18:49 UTC

In article <XnpVtMYMoYJlFwnF@255soft.uk>,
J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
> In message <81b82237-eda9-4e3c-b2a5-e974fee38b5fn@googlegroups.com> at
> Tue, 10 Oct 2023 06:03:23, David Paste <pastedavid@gmail.com> writes
..

> >Is there any reason a 720 or 1080 image can't be transmitted on
> >DVB-T1?

I transmit within my home 1080p on DVB-T all the time, it works fine.

> Interesting question! I've no idea; I'd assumed not. But if it
> could, it would presumably be at only T1 coding efficiency, so
> take up much (too much?) of the scarce space available.

> (And would all T1 receivers be able to display such an image even
> if it could - if say they're built into an SD-only TV, let alone
> those in set-top boxes.)

I have an old standard def only set Sony 19BX200. It works fine fed
with 1080p from a T mux. I did know the name of the function it had
to have to work but I've forgotten what it was. It was software not
hardware I think it was mpeg or something like that. If your TV had
it, it would work, if not...

Bob.

Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn?t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<f6bbiihe13hch2eob5d865s3g0daojjj2j@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9346&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9346

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 21:00:01 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:00 UTC

On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 19:49:08 +0100, Bob Latham
<bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

>In article <XnpVtMYMoYJlFwnF@255soft.uk>,
> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>> In message <81b82237-eda9-4e3c-b2a5-e974fee38b5fn@googlegroups.com> at
>> Tue, 10 Oct 2023 06:03:23, David Paste <pastedavid@gmail.com> writes
>.
>
>> >Is there any reason a 720 or 1080 image can't be transmitted on
>> >DVB-T1?
>
>I transmit within my home 1080p on DVB-T all the time, it works fine.

Does this require a broadcasting licence from Ofcom and a public file
:-)

Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<ug4b2i$1b7jp$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9348&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9348

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:09:54 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:xAOSyc6YN9FfLIQNtHqqjIfZo8Q=
 by: Tweed - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:09 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 19:49:08 +0100, Bob Latham
> <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <XnpVtMYMoYJlFwnF@255soft.uk>,
>> J. P. Gilliver <G6JPG@255soft.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <81b82237-eda9-4e3c-b2a5-e974fee38b5fn@googlegroups.com> at
>>> Tue, 10 Oct 2023 06:03:23, David Paste <pastedavid@gmail.com> writes
>> .

>> I transmit within my home 1080p on DVB-T all the time, it works fine.
>
> Does this require a broadcasting licence from Ofcom and a public file
> :-)

Not if you keep it all confined inside a coax cable.

Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn?t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<afhbii54ic2f4ckjpg1705gn0dsv77ifqo@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9351&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9351

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 22:46:00 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 21:46 UTC

On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 20:09:54 -0000 (UTC), Tweed
<usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 19:49:08 +0100, Bob Latham
>> <bob@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

>>> I transmit within my home 1080p on DVB-T all the time, it works fine.
>>
>> Does this require a broadcasting licence from Ofcom and a public file
>> :-)
>
>Not if you keep it all confined inside a coax cable.

:-)

Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<kon2v1F4q80U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9361&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9361

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re:_Clean_Feed:_Freeview_isn’t_going_anywhere
_anytime_soon_but_needs_more_HD_channels
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 08:59:30 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 07:59 UTC

On 10/10/2023 14:03, David Paste wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 October 2023 at 15:32:32 UTC+1, J. P. Gilliver wrote:
>
>> I have four or five at least working - and used - T1 receivers, and only
>> one T2 (and that only because a distress purchase when the ASDA didn't
>> _have_ any T1-only ones); I'm sure I'm far from alone, many having T1
>> only.
>
> Is there any reason a 720 or 1080 image can't be transmitted on DVB-T1?

None at all, and it's done in other countries. We opted in the UK to
restrict HD broadcasting to T2

DVB modes (T, T2, S, S2 etc) are ambivalent when it comes to the
resolution and coding formats of the video (or audio, or data) streams

--
Mark

Re: Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<c879c569-e49e-4b0d-9ac2-2b896e1e46e2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9431&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9431

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 03:13:44 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re:_Re:_Clean_Feed:_Freeview_isn’t_going_anywhere_
anytime_soon_but_needs_more_HD_channels
From: pastedavid@gmail.com (David Paste)
 by: David Paste - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:13 UTC

On Tuesday, 10 October 2023 at 18:38:26 UTC+1, J. P. Gilliver wrote:

> Interesting question! I've no idea; I'd assumed not. But if it could, it
> would presumably be at only T1 coding efficiency, so take up much (too
> much?) of the scarce space available.

Being a person drifting into the age of complaint, I'd be happy to just have
1-4 in HD at a decent bit rate on freeview. Everything else can move to
streaming where I can ignore it ;)

> (And would all T1 receivers be able to display such an image even if it
> could - if say they're built into an SD-only TV, let alone those in
> set-top boxes.)

Good thinkin'!

Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<993a95ae-913d-44f3-a970-3847ee3ee94dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9432&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9432

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 03:15:48 -0700 (PDT)
ime_soon_but_needs_more_HD_channels
From: pastedavid@gmail.com (David Paste)
 by: David Paste - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:15 UTC

> > On Tue, 10 Oct 2023 19:49:08 +0100, Bob Latham
> > <b...@sick-of-spam.invalid> wrote:

> >> I transmit within my home 1080p on DVB-T all the time, it works fine.

Interesting, thanks.
(I can't see Bob's reply on the google groups feed, so appologies for
using you as a middle man)

Re: Clean Feed: Freeview isn’t going anywhere anytime soon but needs more HD channels

<28d5e685-4f7f-487f-897a-107170927538n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9433&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9433

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 03:19:33 -0700 (PDT)
From: pastedavid@gmail.com (David Paste)
 by: David Paste - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 10:19 UTC

On Wednesday, 11 October 2023 at 08:59:31 UTC+1, Mark Carver wrote:

> None at all, and it's done in other countries. We opted in the UK to
> restrict HD broadcasting to T2

Another grate british triumph.

> DVB modes (T, T2, S, S2 etc) are ambivalent when it comes to the
> resolution and coding formats of the video (or audio, or data) streams

I miss proper old-school teletext.