From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Long wave
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2023 17:53:46 +0100
 by: Scott - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 16:53 UTC

On Tue, 4 Apr 2023 16:47:38 +0100, MB <MB@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 04/04/2023 13:36, John Williamson wrote:
>> You just need a biggish field, and you can make a profit by using the
>> land for grazing, growing crops, or, nowadays, by installing solar
>> panels to power the transmitter with a bit left over to sell.
>

>I suspect that all the extra screen and protection to the control
>systems might cancel out any gains.
>
>I can't remember the figures but it was said that the M&S store at
>Lisburn was their most expensive to build.

Is this because of shielding from electromagnetic radiation? I once
visited the radio museum at Lahti in the old transmission hall below
the main antenna and some fluorescent tubes were illuminated without
being plugged in. There was also a demonstration that involved
pointing a spike at an earthed reinforcing of the concrete to create
an electric arc.

Re: Long wave

<ufhv2e$3o3cc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9234&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9234

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2023 21:54:38 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Tue, 3 Oct 2023 20:54 UTC

On 03/10/2023 17:53, Scott wrote:
> Is this because of shielding from electromagnetic radiation? I once
> visited the radio museum at Lahti in the old transmission hall below the
> main antenna and some fluorescent tubes were illuminated without being
> plugged in. There was also a demonstration that involved pointing a
> spike at an earthed reinforcing of the concrete to create an electric arc.

The 'party trick' at Criggion was some to hold a fluorescent tube in
their hand in the coil chamber, it would light up as each pulse was
transmitted.

(OMEGA had five transmitters that transmitted in turn).