Ditat Deus. [God enriches]

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Old radio dial

SubjectAuthor
* Old radio dialScott
+* Re: Old radio dialNY
|+* Re: Old radio dialScott
||`- Re: Old radio dialBrian Gaff
|+* Re: Old radio dialcharles
||+* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
|||`* Re: Old radio dialBrian Gaff
||| `* Re: Old radio dialJames Heaton
|||  `* Re: Old radio dialScott
|||   `* Re: Old radio dialJames Heaton
|||    `* Re: Old radio dialScott
|||     `- Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
||+* Re: Old radio dialJMB99
|||+* Re: Old radio dialScott
|||`- Re: Old radio dialBrian Gaff
||`- Re: Old radio dialJMB99
|`* Re: Old radio dialBrian Gaff
| +* Re: Old radio dialRoderick Stewart
| |`- Re: Old radio dialjon
| `- Re: Old radio dialAshley Booth
+* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
|`* Re: Old radio dialScott
| +* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
| |`* Re: Old radio dialScott
| | `- Re: Old radio dialJ. P. Gilliver
| `* Re: Old radio dialRoderick Stewart
|  +* Re: Old radio dialJMB99
|  |`* Re: Old radio dialWoody
|  | `- Re: Old radio dialcharles
|  `* Re: Old radio dialNY
|   +- Re: Old radio dialNY
|   +* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
|   |+* Re: Old radio dialNY
|   ||+- Re: Old radio dialJ. P. Gilliver
|   ||`* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
|   || `* Re: Old radio dialNY
|   ||  `* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
|   ||   +- Re: Old radio dialNY
|   ||   `* Re: Old radio dialJ. P. Gilliver
|   ||    +* Re: Old radio dialAndy Burns
|   ||    |+- Re: Old radio dialAndy Burns
|   ||    |`- Re: Old radio dialJ. P. Gilliver
|   ||    `- Re: Old radio dialwrightsaerials@aol.com
|   |+- Re: Old radio dialwrightsaerials@aol.com
|   |`* Re: Old radio dialwrightsaerials@aol.com
|   | `* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
|   |  +* Re: Old radio dialScott
|   |  |`- Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
|   |  `* Re: Old radio dialNY
|   |   +* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
|   |   |`* Re: Old radio dialNY
|   |   | `- Re: Old radio dialPaul Ratcliffe
|   |   `- Re: Old radio dialwrightsaerials@aol.com
|   `* Re: Old radio dialPaul Ratcliffe
|    `* Re: Old radio dialNY
|     `- Re: Old radio dialScott
+- Re: Old radio dialBrian Gaff
+* Re: Old radio dialBrian Gregory
|`* Re: Old radio dialBrian Gaff
| +* Re: Old radio dialScott
| |`* Re: Old radio dialBrian Gaff
| | `* Re: Old radio dialScott
| |  `- Re: Old radio dialJMB99
| `* Re: Old radio dialScott
|  `* Re: Old radio dialBrian Gaff
|   `* Re: Old radio dialScott
|    `- Re: Old radio dialBrian Gaff
`* Re: Old radio dialJ. P. Gilliver
 +* Re: Old radio dialRoderick Stewart
 |+* Re: Old radio dialJ. P. Gilliver
 ||+* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
 |||`* Re: Old radio dialLiz Tuddenham
 ||| `* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
 |||  `- Re: Old radio dialLiz Tuddenham
 ||+* Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
 |||+* Re: Old radio dialJ. P. Gilliver
 |||`* Re: Old radio dialNY
 ||| `* Re: Old radio dialJohn Williamson
 |||  `- Re: Old radio dialJ. P. Gilliver
 ||+- Re: Old radio dialNY
 ||`* Re: Old radio dialAndy Burns
 || `* Re: Old radio dialJ. P. Gilliver
 ||  `- Re: Old radio dialScott
 |`* Re: Old radio dialJMB99
 | `- Re: Old radio dialMark Carver
 `* Re: Old radio dialNY
  +* Re: Old radio dialScott
  |`- Re: Old radio dialJ. P. Gilliver
  `* Re: Old radio dialwrightsaerials@aol.com
   `* Re: Old radio dialLiz Tuddenham
    `* Re: Old radio dialwrightsaerials@aol.com
     `* Re: Old radio dialMax Demian
      +- Re: Old radio dialLiz Tuddenham
      `* Re: Old radio dialJMB99
       +* Re: Old radio dialJMB99
       `* Re: Old radio dial [OT]Liz Tuddenham

Pages:12345
Old radio dial

<n2vqhitqqj5cjpthirr254b9ct2obbs2un@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9249&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9249

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Old radio dial
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 15:56:52 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 14:56 UTC

Looking at an old radio dial (now my screensaver) I see on the VHF
Band 'Home' [R4] has the highest frequency then 'Third' [R3] then
'Light' [R2]. I wonder why they did it this way round. If the Home
Service and Light Programmes were the most popular, why create a
voyage through the Third Programme for retuning?

Re: Old radio dial

<2MucnT1JBqdS4oD4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9250&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9250

Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:07:58 +0100
From: me@privacy.net (NY)
Subject: Re: Old radio dial
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: NY - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 15:07 UTC

On 04/10/2023 15:56, Scott wrote:
> Looking at an old radio dial (now my screensaver) I see on the VHF
> Band 'Home' [R4] has the highest frequency then 'Third' [R3] then
> 'Light' [R2]. I wonder why they did it this way round. If the Home
> Service and Light Programmes were the most popular, why create a
> voyage through the Third Programme for retuning?

A very interesting question. I suppose the two logical orders are:

- R2, R3, R4 (in ascending order of station number Radio 2, Radio 3,
Radio 4)

- R2, R4, R3 (or R4, R2, R3) (in descending order of number of listeners
to channel)

It's interesting that Radio 3 was termed "The Third Programme" before
"Light Programme" (R2) and "Home Service" (R4) terms had been abolished.
I'm surprised it didn't have a name that alluded to its classical music
content - eg "The Classical Programme" or "The Heavy Programme" (as
distinct from "The Light Programme"!)

I imagine that if the frequencies were being allocated for the first
time nowadays, they would be allocated with R1 lowest, then R2, then R3,
and R4 highest. Obviously those are blocks of frequencies, rather than
one specific country-wide frequency for each station.

Re: Old radio dial

<uo3rhi5oarljn9pkob9ir6j31unm6fqi3c@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9252&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9252

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 17:17:49 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:17 UTC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:07:58 +0100, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On 04/10/2023 15:56, Scott wrote:
>> Looking at an old radio dial (now my screensaver) I see on the VHF
>> Band 'Home' [R4] has the highest frequency then 'Third' [R3] then
>> 'Light' [R2]. I wonder why they did it this way round. If the Home
>> Service and Light Programmes were the most popular, why create a
>> voyage through the Third Programme for retuning?
>
>A very interesting question. I suppose the two logical orders are:
>
>- R2, R3, R4 (in ascending order of station number Radio 2, Radio 3,
>Radio 4)
>
>- R2, R4, R3 (or R4, R2, R3) (in descending order of number of listeners
>to channel)
>
>It's interesting that Radio 3 was termed "The Third Programme" before
>"Light Programme" (R2) and "Home Service" (R4) terms had been abolished.
>I'm surprised it didn't have a name that alluded to its classical music
>content - eg "The Classical Programme" or "The Heavy Programme" (as
>distinct from "The Light Programme"!)

I am sure someone will jump in with a fuller history, but AIUI it did
not start as a classical music station. It carried music, plays and
talks in the evening (Third Programme), schools and educational, sport
on Saturday afternoons, music during the day (Music Programme) and was
also called 'Network Three' to reflect this mix.

Re: Old radio dial

<ko5hjmF3ge2U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9253&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9253

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:19:02 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:19 UTC

On 04/10/2023 15:56, Scott wrote:
> Looking at an old radio dial (now my screensaver) I see on the VHF
> Band 'Home' [R4] has the highest frequency then 'Third' [R3] then
> 'Light' [R2]. I wonder why they did it this way round. If the Home
> Service and Light Programmes were the most popular, why create a
> voyage through the Third Programme for retuning?

What's odd is that the order, Light, Third, Home, was put in place in
1955, 12 years before the three stations were rebranded (more or less)
as R2, 3, 4 !

--
Mark

Re: Old radio dial

<5aee25fc81charles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9256&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9256

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 23 16:30:03 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: charles - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:30 UTC

In article <2MucnT1JBqdS4oD4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 04/10/2023 15:56, Scott wrote:
> > Looking at an old radio dial (now my screensaver) I see on the VHF
> > Band 'Home' [R4] has the highest frequency then 'Third' [R3] then
> > 'Light' [R2]. I wonder why they did it this way round. If the Home
> > Service and Light Programmes were the most popular, why create a
> > voyage through the Third Programme for retuning?

> A very interesting question. I suppose the two logical orders are:

> - R2, R3, R4 (in ascending order of station number Radio 2, Radio 3,
> Radio 4)

> - R2, R4, R3 (or R4, R2, R3) (in descending order of number of listeners
> to channel)

> It's interesting that Radio 3 was termed "The Third Programme" before
> "Light Programme" (R2) and "Home Service" (R4) terms had been abolished.
> I'm surprised it didn't have a name that alluded to its classical music
> content - eg "The Classical Programme" or "The Heavy Programme" (as
> distinct from "The Light Programme"!)

but it also broadcast Test March Special which is hardly "Classical" - or
is it?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Old radio dial

<ko5igpF3ge3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9257&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9257

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:34:33 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:34 UTC

On 04/10/2023 17:30, charles wrote:
> In article <2MucnT1JBqdS4oD4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,

>> It's interesting that Radio 3 was termed "The Third Programme" before
>> "Light Programme" (R2) and "Home Service" (R4) terms had been abolished.
>> I'm surprised it didn't have a name that alluded to its classical music
>> content - eg "The Classical Programme" or "The Heavy Programme" (as
>> distinct from "The Light Programme"!)
>
> but it also broadcast Test March Special which is hardly "Classical" - or
> is it?

Some Marches use classic music though ?

--
Mark

Re: Old radio dial

<im4rhile764ai8ddgrujuuavfjg91fbkum@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9258&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9258

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 17:37:55 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:37 UTC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:19:02 +0100, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 04/10/2023 15:56, Scott wrote:
>> Looking at an old radio dial (now my screensaver) I see on the VHF
>> Band 'Home' [R4] has the highest frequency then 'Third' [R3] then
>> 'Light' [R2]. I wonder why they did it this way round. If the Home
>> Service and Light Programmes were the most popular, why create a
>> voyage through the Third Programme for retuning?
>
>What's odd is that the order, Light, Third, Home, was put in place in
>1955, 12 years before the three stations were rebranded (more or less)
>as R2, 3, 4 !

The Home Service and Light Programme started immediately after WW2 and
Third Programme followed in 1946. The Third Programme was very much
seen as a minority station for the posh people. When the decision was
made in 1955, why put what was probably the most listened to programme
first, the least listened to second and the Home Service that I
thought was the flagship (and varied by region) third in the ordering?
Anyone commuting between Home and Light as many did using a mechanical
dial would need to navigate their way through the spectrum occupled by
the Third. I merely wondered if there is any logic in this order.

Re: Old radio dial

<ko5islF3ge3U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9261&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9261

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:40:53 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:40 UTC

On 04/10/2023 17:37, Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:19:02 +0100, Mark Carver
> <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 04/10/2023 15:56, Scott wrote:
>>> Looking at an old radio dial (now my screensaver) I see on the VHF
>>> Band 'Home' [R4] has the highest frequency then 'Third' [R3] then
>>> 'Light' [R2]. I wonder why they did it this way round. If the Home
>>> Service and Light Programmes were the most popular, why create a
>>> voyage through the Third Programme for retuning?
>>
>> What's odd is that the order, Light, Third, Home, was put in place in
>> 1955, 12 years before the three stations were rebranded (more or less)
>> as R2, 3, 4 !
>
> The Home Service and Light Programme started immediately after WW2 and
> Third Programme followed in 1946. The Third Programme was very much
> seen as a minority station for the posh people. When the decision was
> made in 1955, why put what was probably the most listened to programme
> first, the least listened to second and the Home Service that I
> thought was the flagship (and varied by region) third in the ordering?
> Anyone commuting between Home and Light as many did using a mechanical
> dial would need to navigate their way through the spectrum occupled by
> the Third. I merely wondered if there is any logic in this order.

Perhaps the idea was that they'd stumble across the Third Prog (and like
it), whereas normally they wouldn't ?

--
Mark

Re: Old radio dial

<k76rhitkrggiqg5r1qrhvis7787u1ua8j3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9264&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9264

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 17:57:58 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:57 UTC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:40:53 +0100, Mark Carver
<mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>On 04/10/2023 17:37, Scott wrote:
>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:19:02 +0100, Mark Carver
>> <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> What's odd is that the order, Light, Third, Home, was put in place in
>>> 1955, 12 years before the three stations were rebranded (more or less)
>>> as R2, 3, 4 !
>>
>> The Home Service and Light Programme started immediately after WW2 and
>> Third Programme followed in 1946. The Third Programme was very much
>> seen as a minority station for the posh people. When the decision was
>> made in 1955, why put what was probably the most listened to programme
>> first, the least listened to second and the Home Service that I
>> thought was the flagship (and varied by region) third in the ordering?
>> Anyone commuting between Home and Light as many did using a mechanical
>> dial would need to navigate their way through the spectrum occupled by
>> the Third. I merely wondered if there is any logic in this order.
>
>Perhaps the idea was that they'd stumble across the Third Prog (and like
>it), whereas normally they wouldn't ?

An early form of trails then?

I wondered that myself but after temptation had been resisted the
first 20 times, I think it would become increasingly unlikely anyone
would be tempted thereafter.

Re: Old radio dial

<ufk5v0$dbjd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9265&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9265

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:04:32 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:04 UTC

On 04/10/2023 17:30, charles wrote:
> but it also broadcast Test March Special which is hardly "Classical" -
> or is it?

But that and other sport came later, initially it was Light, Third and
Home with the Home being Welsh Home, Scottish Home and Northern Ireland
Home (I think).

Re: Old radio dial

<2v6rhitb3nq3eshmpujdpbq2821lhibcq3@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9266&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9266

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 18:10:31 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:10 UTC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:04:32 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 04/10/2023 17:30, charles wrote:
>> but it also broadcast Test March Special which is hardly "Classical" -
>> or is it?
>
>But that and other sport came later, initially it was Light, Third and
>Home with the Home being Welsh Home, Scottish Home and Northern Ireland
>Home (I think).

Wikipedia is ambiguous on this point:

When it started in 1946, the Third Programme broadcast for six hours
each evening from 6.00 pm to midnight, although its output was cut to
just 24 hours a week from October 1957, with the early part of weekday
evenings being given over to educational programming (known as
"Network Three"). The frequencies were also used during daytime hours
to broadcast complete ball-by-ball commentary on test match cricket,
under the title Test Match Special".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Third_Programme

If TMS was not there from the start, where was it?

Re: Old radio dial

<ufk81l$dvab$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9267&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9267

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:40:03 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:40 UTC

This article seems to appear in many newspapers. I have tried to extra
some bits but might be a bit disjointed. Worth reading the whole article.

The cable mentioned was laid the late 1930s North from London for
telephone traffic but it was found to be ideal for Meaconing so taken
over for that.

Nottingham Journal - Tuesday 14 May 1946
Image © Reach PLC. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

Where the Faults Are Radio Reception
THE B.B.C. to-day is opera-ting 69 broadcast transmitting stations, two
long wavers. 26 medium wavers. 38 short wavers, and three on the
ultra-short waves. One long wave transmitter and three on the medium
waves are being used for the European service, the short wavers cover
the rest of the outside world, leaving one long waver and 23 medium
wavers for the home services.

It is strange that with such an array of equipment, complaints about
unsatisfactory reception are as frequent as ever. Where Is the fault ?
Mr. Leslie Hayes. Chief of the B.B.C.’s Engineering Information
Division, gives me the answer.

"We have never claimed*’ he said, “to provide a good solid signal In all
parts of the country, not even with one programms B.B.C. stations can be
heard in all parts, but not always with that constancy and strength that
we accept as satisfactory. We are very near perfection with the Light
Programme in daylight, covering 98 per cent, of the country with our
long and medium wave transmissions. After darkness, this area is reduced
to 94 per cent."

Blyth News - Thursday 23 May 1946

Then there is to be a "third programme" which. for want of a better. may
be known by that name. It Is to be artistic and cultural In content. It
was promised for this month but does not appear likely until the autumn.
Wavelengths are the trouble. The B.B.C. is using all those wavelengths
allocated to it by international agreement: it is using more, having
poached a couple from European operations. Two of the B.B.C.
wave-lengths are still being used for medium wave transmissions to
Europe and until these are released or some other arrangement can be
made the third programme cannot begin.

TELEVISION PROSPECTS
To secure anything like a national coverage for this new programme the
transmitters will have to be synchronised., and, if the long waver at
Ottringham, Yorks. becomes available the setup will be almost identical
with that new existing in the Light programme.

In television the prospects are even less satisfying. London is to
have its sound and vision service back on June 7 — the pro-vinces coming
later, much later.

When the co-axial cable between London and Birmingham was laid just
before the war it was hoped this might be available for relaying
television signals to the Midlands and later to the North. The cable has
been extended during the war but the Post Office is making such
intensive use of it for telephone circuits that there is no hope of it
being used for television. The B.B.C. has been driven to exploring other
methods and a radio link with the provinces now seems certain.

Re: Old radio dial

<be2ab6d9-c68b-96df-6632-8065a9178bd0@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9269&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9269

From: rbw@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:18:43 +0100
 by: Robin - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:18 UTC

On 04/10/2023 18:10, Scott wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 18:04:32 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>
>> On 04/10/2023 17:30, charles wrote:
>>> but it also broadcast Test March Special which is hardly "Classical" -
>>> or is it?
>>
>> But that and other sport came later, initially it was Light, Third and
>> Home with the Home being Welsh Home, Scottish Home and Northern Ireland
>> Home (I think).
>
> Wikipedia is ambiguous on this point:
>
> When it started in 1946, the Third Programme broadcast for six hours
> each evening from 6.00 pm to midnight, although its output was cut to
> just 24 hours a week from October 1957, with the early part of weekday
> evenings being given over to educational programming (known as
> "Network Three"). The frequencies were also used during daytime hours
> to broadcast complete ball-by-ball commentary on test match cricket,
> under the title Test Match Special".
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Third_Programme
>
> If TMS was not there from the start, where was it?

TMS as such was not broadcast until 1957. Before that it slept
alongside Arthur and Merlin.
--
Robin

Re: Old radio dial

<esfrhi58foq8uhuvjl2nsu9d774vfie30m@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9270&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9270

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2023 20:40:37 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 19:40 UTC

On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:18:43 +0100, Robin <rbw@outlook.com> wrote:

>On 04/10/2023 18:10, Scott wrote:

>>> But that and other sport came later, initially it was Light, Third and
>>> Home with the Home being Welsh Home, Scottish Home and Northern Ireland
>>> Home (I think).
>>
>> Wikipedia is ambiguous on this point:
>>
>> When it started in 1946, the Third Programme broadcast for six hours
>> each evening from 6.00 pm to midnight, although its output was cut to
>> just 24 hours a week from October 1957, with the early part of weekday
>> evenings being given over to educational programming (known as
>> "Network Three"). The frequencies were also used during daytime hours
>> to broadcast complete ball-by-ball commentary on test match cricket,
>> under the title Test Match Special".
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Third_Programme
>>
>> If TMS was not there from the start, where was it?
>
>TMS as such was not broadcast until 1957. Before that it slept
>alongside Arthur and Merlin.

That explains it. Nothing until 6 pm at the start.

Re: Old radio dial

<ufkgms$g3lb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9271&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9271

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:07:56 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:07 UTC

On 04/10/2023 20:18, Robin wrote:
> TMS as such was not broadcast until 1957.  Before that it slept
> alongside Arthur and Merlin.

Before then there seems to have just been a summary on Radio 2

TMS appears to have just been a short programme, not the endless one
they do now.

Easy to check with the BBC Programme Index.

Re: Old radio dial

<b8f2aa3c-3dbd-4031-90c6-734719ed0a10@outlook.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9272&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9272

From: rbw@outlook.com (Robin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 21:59:48 +0100
 by: Robin - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:59 UTC

On 04/10/2023 21:07, JMB99 wrote:
> On 04/10/2023 20:18, Robin wrote:
>> TMS as such was not broadcast until 1957.  Before that it slept
>> alongside Arthur and Merlin.
>

> Before then there seems to have just been a summary on Radio 2
>
> TMS appears to have just been a short programme, not the endless one
> they do now.

AIUI there was "Test Match" but not "Test Match Special" before the
ball-by-ball commentary that started in 1957; the "Special" being added
in recognition of the fact coverage combined slots in the Light
Programme with the "Special Service" on the Third's wavelengths.

> Easy to check with the BBC Programme Index.

Indeed.
--
Robin

Re: Old radio dial

<2FoZRdGrFfHlFwBM@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9274&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9274

From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 00:12:43 +0100
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 23:12 UTC

In message <k76rhitkrggiqg5r1qrhvis7787u1ua8j3@4ax.com> at Wed, 4 Oct
2023 17:57:58, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> writes
>On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 17:40:53 +0100, Mark Carver
><mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>>On 04/10/2023 17:37, Scott wrote:

[]
>>Perhaps the idea was that they'd stumble across the Third Prog (and like
>>it), whereas normally they wouldn't ?

The same thought occurred to me: I have absolutely no evidence for it,
but with "Inform, Educate ..." ...

>An early form of trails then?
>
>I wondered that myself but after temptation had been resisted the
>first 20 times, I think it would become increasingly unlikely anyone
>would be tempted thereafter.

Depends what the encountered. The 21st time might be something they'd
actually heard somewhere else, and/or actually liked.

Sarcasm: Barbed ire

Re: Old radio dial

<ueqshilq5jog5pt6ik616q15cdivdio1u0@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9275&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9275

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 08:57:49 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:57 UTC

On Wed, 04 Oct 2023 17:37:55 +0100, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>The Home Service and Light Programme started immediately after WW2 and
>Third Programme followed in 1946. The Third Programme was very much
>seen as a minority station for the posh people. When the decision was
>made in 1955, why put what was probably the most listened to programme
>first, the least listened to second and the Home Service that I
>thought was the flagship (and varied by region) third in the ordering?
>Anyone commuting between Home and Light as many did using a mechanical
>dial would need to navigate their way through the spectrum occupled by
>the Third. I merely wondered if there is any logic in this order.

There definitely seems to have been logic to the spacing between them,
which for any particular transmitter is 2.2MHz, with the channels
always being in the same order. This facilitated the design of VHF
radio tuners with the channels being selected with a three way switch.

I recall a tuner of this type made by Rogers, which had an internal
master tuner to adjust it for the appropriate region, but a three way
rotary switch as a user control on the front. Tuning an FM receiver
was thought to be more difficult than tuning an AM one because you
have to tune for minimum distortion rather than maximum output so this
may have been an attempt to relieve the user of this complication.

Then local radio started, and the plan fell to pieces.

Rod.

Re: Old radio dial

<ufm16s$sssc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9277&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9277

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:55:36 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 09:55 UTC

Well third and fourth would seem to be sequential.
Sets with the programmes marked was a throw back to the old AM days. These
days stations are all over the place on fm, and this has over the years made
sets with presets moor common and then once tunes in it does not matter
about where they are on a conventional dial.
Some of the old electromechanical presets were works of art though. I once
saw a Dynatron radio which had a permeability tuned FM part driven by a
motor and used a pot so in effect its was a servo, and you clearly heard it
as it moved the tuning. I think they used the permeability by a chord.
Apparently the core moving was less prone to acoustic feedback than a
capacitor tuned device.
One has to be so careful with old dials, I ruined on on a Lafayette Valve
radio by washing it and all the markings came off.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> Looking at an old radio dial (now my screensaver) I see on the VHF
> Band 'Home' [R4] has the highest frequency then 'Third' [R3] then
> 'Light' [R2]. I wonder why they did it this way round. If the Home
> Service and Light Programmes were the most popular, why create a
> voyage through the Third Programme for retuning?

Re: Old radio dial

<ufm1fm$sv5t$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9278&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9278

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:00:18 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:00 UTC

Yes, when BBC were experimenting with Stereo, you only needed the sound from
the BBC tv and the 3rd program on an am medium wave radio. What it did not
do of course is to make the phase relationships very reproducible by the
listener. I used to get up in the early mornings to hear trains chugging
though the living room, and elephants trumpeting as the move back and
fourth.
I do not recall any music being tested.

Brian

--

--:
"NY" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> On 04/10/2023 15:56, Scott wrote:
>> Looking at an old radio dial (now my screensaver) I see on the VHF
>> Band 'Home' [R4] has the highest frequency then 'Third' [R3] then
>> 'Light' [R2]. I wonder why they did it this way round. If the Home
>> Service and Light Programmes were the most popular, why create a
>> voyage through the Third Programme for retuning?
>
> A very interesting question. I suppose the two logical orders are:
>
> - R2, R3, R4 (in ascending order of station number Radio 2, Radio 3, Radio
> 4)
>
> - R2, R4, R3 (or R4, R2, R3) (in descending order of number of listeners
> to channel)
>

> It's interesting that Radio 3 was termed "The Third Programme" before
> "Light Programme" (R2) and "Home Service" (R4) terms had been abolished.
> I'm surprised it didn't have a name that alluded to its classical music
> content - eg "The Classical Programme" or "The Heavy Programme" (as
> distinct from "The Light Programme"!)
>

> I imagine that if the frequencies were being allocated for the first time
> nowadays, they would be allocated with R1 lowest, then R2, then R3, and R4
> highest. Obviously those are blocks of frequencies, rather than one
> specific country-wide frequency for each station.

Re: Old radio dial

<ufm1qk$t150$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9279&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9279

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:06:08 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:06 UTC

I don't remember the network three label at all, but I do remember the
classical buffs moaning about inclusion of Jazz for some time, and
experimental music seemingly played by objects not intended for music and
unorthodox ways of playing conventional ones, not to mention the avente
Gururde stuff what was basically a lot of bits spliced together, a bit like
the Beatles Revolution 9, which I note has just been remixed into Dolby
Atmos.
I always found that sort of entertainment quite entertaining but music it
was not.
Brian

--

--:
> On Wed, 4 Oct 2023 16:07:58 +0100, NY <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>On 04/10/2023 15:56, Scott wrote:
>>> Looking at an old radio dial (now my screensaver) I see on the VHF
>>> Band 'Home' [R4] has the highest frequency then 'Third' [R3] then
>>> 'Light' [R2]. I wonder why they did it this way round. If the Home
>>> Service and Light Programmes were the most popular, why create a
>>> voyage through the Third Programme for retuning?
>>
>>A very interesting question. I suppose the two logical orders are:
>>
>>- R2, R3, R4 (in ascending order of station number Radio 2, Radio 3,
>>Radio 4)
>>
>>- R2, R4, R3 (or R4, R2, R3) (in descending order of number of listeners
>>to channel)
>>
>>It's interesting that Radio 3 was termed "The Third Programme" before
>>"Light Programme" (R2) and "Home Service" (R4) terms had been abolished.
>>I'm surprised it didn't have a name that alluded to its classical music
>>content - eg "The Classical Programme" or "The Heavy Programme" (as
>>distinct from "The Light Programme"!)
>>
> I am sure someone will jump in with a fuller history, but AIUI it did
> not start as a classical music station. It carried music, plays and
> talks in the evening (Third Programme), schools and educational, sport
> on Saturday afternoons, music during the day (Music Programme) and was
> also called 'Network Three' to reflect this mix.

Re: Old radio dial

<ufm253$t36c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9280&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9280

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:11:43 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:11 UTC

Ha ha.
I was not aware that the third did test matches. Long wave seems to have
been the preserve for that for many years, as well as the early Shipping
forecast. I still find it odd they are going to scrap such a large station
with a very big coverage, and yes I know there are some fill in stations,
but never the less it should really be much better than it is. In the early
days of TV it was timebase interference, now its more junk from rogue psus
and internet dongles etc that cause the interference.
Brian

--

--:
"Mark Carver" <mark.carver@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> On 04/10/2023 17:30, charles wrote:
>> In article <2MucnT1JBqdS4oD4nZ2dnZfqnPqdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>,
>
>>> It's interesting that Radio 3 was termed "The Third Programme" before
>>> "Light Programme" (R2) and "Home Service" (R4) terms had been abolished.
>>> I'm surprised it didn't have a name that alluded to its classical music
>>> content - eg "The Classical Programme" or "The Heavy Programme" (as
>>> distinct from "The Light Programme"!)
>>
>> but it also broadcast Test March Special which is hardly "Classical" - or
>> is it?
>>

> Some Marches use classic music though ?
>
> --
> Mark
> Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.

Re: Old radio dial

<ufm28b$t3mf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9281&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9281

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:13:27 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:13 UTC

Down in the west country, the only station many could pick up was home
service on Medium wave for ages, and there was some regional news on that,
mostly about farming topics.
Brian

--

--:
"JMB99" <mb@nospam.net> wrote in message news:ufk5v0$dbjd$1@dont-email.me...
> On 04/10/2023 17:30, charles wrote:
>> but it also broadcast Test March Special which is hardly "Classical" - or
>> is it?
>

> But that and other sport came later, initially it was Light, Third and
> Home with the Home being Welsh Home, Scottish Home and Northern Ireland
> Home (I think).

Re: Old radio dial

<kg5thil2bgjbudap2o9bfra0i34dgeoh45@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9282&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9282

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 11:58:54 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:58 UTC

I recall one that included a pipe band marching about in an open
field, where I could hear the sound of the drums reverberating off
buildings or perhaps trees some distance away. It gave a real
impression of the shape of the place.

Rod.

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:00:18 +0100, "Brian Gaff" <brian1gaff@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Yes, when BBC were experimenting with Stereo, you only needed the sound from
>the BBC tv and the 3rd program on an am medium wave radio. What it did not
>do of course is to make the phase relationships very reproducible by the
>listener. I used to get up in the early mornings to hear trains chugging
>though the living room, and elephants trumpeting as the move back and
>fourth.
> I do not recall any music being tested.
>
>Brian

Re: Old radio dial

<ufm8cp$u5o7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9283&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9283

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 12:58:17 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:58 UTC

On 05/10/2023 08:57, Roderick Stewart wrote:
> There definitely seems to have been logic to the spacing between them,
> which for any particular transmitter is 2.2MHz, with the channels always
> being in the same order. This facilitated the design of VHF radio tuners
> with the channels being selected with a three way switch.

It was chosen deliberately, can't remember the details but I think it
was to reduce the effects of any intermods.