From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Alexa, play Heart.
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 09:45:42 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 08:45 UTC

It does not trigger mine. There is no law, only common sense. You also might
be interested to know that Billy Joels daughter is called Alexa, imagine
what problems she must get!

There are many names I've heard the A lady respond to. I use Computer on
one here, and sometimes when I'm on the phone it will pop up and say, sorry
I missed something.

Most of mine seem to allow Computer, Amazon and Alexa, but apparently in
some markets you can use the name ziggy. I was told that if you hold certain
buttons and read some set text to it you can make it respond to any string
you like until you disconnect the power. This is often done by radio
stations, One such uses Soup drinker, since its unlikely to be something
that could be said by accident.
As to why the play heard does not trigger it? I think it could be because
there is part of the word which is not quite as clear as it might be, so it
hears lexa oracles or similar.
I guess if you fetid it very close to the microphone it might trigger it.
My biggest annoyance at the moment is that it often asks if you want to
subscribe to things.
So in the old days you could say, no thanks, Now if you say this it runs a
really naff game called no thanks and the subscription is enabled on the
last item. Sharp practice, though of course if you are wise you tick the box
in the app to make sure you cannot do things that cost money by mouth, you
have to tick a box in the app. I guess otherwise little Johnny would be
ordering half of Amazons stock while the parent was out.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Graham. " <graham-usenet@mail.com> wrote in message
> Isn't there some sort of rule about not deliberately triggering smart
> speakers, on mass, especially in the name of advertising as in this
> current "Heart" Radio campaign?
> --
>
> Graham.
> %Profound_observation%

Re: Alexa, play Heart.

<memo.20231011103258.1656B@magsys.adsl.magsys.co.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9370&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9370

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
From: angus@magsys.co.uk (Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 10:32 +0100 (BST)
 by: Angus Robertson - Ma - Wed, 11 Oct 2023 09:32 UTC

> It does not trigger mine. There is no law, only common sense. You
> also might be interested to know that Billy Joels daughter is
> called Alexa

The Echo wake word can be changed through the application from Alexa to Echo,
Computer, Amazon or Ziggy, and Hey Santa, but that seems to be a special...

Hearing the wake word on radio or TV has always been a problem, but mostly if
you look at privacy review voice history it says 'Audio was not intended for
Alexa', they probably build a database of phrases captured from TV and radio to
ignore.

The US version of Ghosts had a recent episode where they played with Alexas,
which kept triggering mine.

My FireTV has Alexa, and that triggers itself. Unfortunately I can not change
the FireTV wake word, not available in the app!

Angus

Re: Alexa, play Heart.

<ug8agn$2d54h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9410&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9410

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 09:24:52 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 08:24 UTC

I'm sure they could very easily enable anything as the wake word, but do not
or some bright spark would call it something rude.
Brian

--

--:
"Angus Robertson - Magenta Systems Ltd" <angus@magsys.co.uk> wrote in