Expansion means complexity; and complexity decay.

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

SubjectAuthor
* Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchupSmolley
`* Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchupAndy Burns
 `* Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchupcharles
  `* Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchupAndy Burns
   `* Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchupBrian Gaff
    +* Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchupJohn Williamson
    |`* Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchupRoderick Stewart
    | `- Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchupLiz Tuddenham
    +- Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchupcharles
    `- Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchupJMB99

1
Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

<ug92b1$2ibuj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9417&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9417

From: me@rest.uk (Smolley)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:11:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Smolley - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 15:11 UTC

Lots of other stuff there, but no Proms.?

Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

<koqm31Fp5jtU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9418&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9418

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 17:44:17 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 16:44 UTC

Smolley wrote:

> Lots of other stuff there, but no Proms.?

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b007v097/bbc-proms>

Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

<5af24e5c2bcharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9422&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9422

Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 23 18:30:03 UTC
From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
 by: charles - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:30 UTC

In article <koqm31Fp5jtU1@mid.individual.net>,
Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:
> Smolley wrote:

> > Lots of other stuff there, but no Proms.?

> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b007v097/bbc-proms>

I think they finished over a month ago

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

<koqt9hFpmquU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9423&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9423

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2023 19:47:13 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 12 Oct 2023 18:47 UTC

charles wrote:

> Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> Smolley wrote:
>
>>> Lots of other stuff there, but no Proms.?
>
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b007v097/bbc-proms>
>
> I think they finished over a month ago

There's 20 out of 71 proms from this year available at that link, plus a
"best bits" and for some reason one from 2005

Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

<ugbafo$35e2m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9435&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9435

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:42:45 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 11:42 UTC

In theory, there should be no reason why they should not be all there from
many years. Who makes the decision of what stuff to keep and one assumes
they do still have them but just not available to the general public.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Andy Burns" <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote in message
> charles wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns wrote:

>>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/b007v097/bbc-proms>
>>
>> I think they finished over a month ago
>
> There's 20 out of 71 proms from this year available at that link, plus a
> "best bits" and for some reason one from 2005

Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

<kosq0uF7invU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9436&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9436

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 13:03:42 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:03 UTC

The usual problem when stuff disappears from public view after a few
weeks or months is the licencing agreement.

At the moment, according to Wikipedia, about two thirds of all BBC radio
output from day one is on a server farm somewhere. For video, they went
through a period where tape was so expensive that for drama, they
re-used it once the programme had been broadcast and repeated, so those
programmes are lost forever, unless someone kept a copy at home. There
are also some problems with disintegrating film and other media which is
becoming unreadable due to the playback gear not being available.
Industry wide, the short lived use of Betamax for digital audio is now a
problem, as the amount of tape needing to be scanned and converted is
more than the expected life of the tape heads available, and nobody
seems to make them now.

There are, apparently, about sixty miles of shelves in a number of
warehouses containing every single document ever created in the BBC.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

<5af2b3301dcharles@candehope.me.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9437&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9437

From: charles@candehope.me.uk (charles)
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 23 12:45:03 UTC
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: charles - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:45 UTC

In article <ugbafo$35e2m$1@dont-email.me>, Brian Gaff
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
> In theory, there should be no reason why they should not be all there
> from many years. Who makes the decision of what stuff to keep and one
> assumes they do still have them but just not available to the general
> public. Brian

Performers' rights?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England - sent from my RISC OS 4té²

Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

<ugbep1$36dft$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9440&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9440

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 13:56:03 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 12:56 UTC

On 13/10/2023 12:42, Brian Gaff wrote:
> In theory, there should be no reason why they should not be all there
> from many years. Who makes the decision of what stuff to keep and one
> assumes they do still have them but just not available to the general
> public.

Apart from 'Rights' issues, storage might be cheaper now but it is still
a finite resource.

The search tool on the BBC website is already rubbish so it would be
even more difficult to find things.

Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

<866jii1iq7bqj5spk8tfa9qa1d2l8egfbr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9457&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9457

From: rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk (Roderick Stewart)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:38:48 +0100
 by: Roderick Stewart - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 19:38 UTC

On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 13:03:42 +0100, John Williamson
<johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:

>Industry wide, the short lived use of Betamax for digital audio is now a
>problem, as the amount of tape needing to be scanned and converted is
>more than the expected life of the tape heads available, and nobody
>seems to make them now.

I have heard that the same is tue of 2" quadruplex video tape, and
maybe 1" C-format as well, which means that there must exist videotape
material which will never be seen again because there's nothing to
play it with.

I saw an item in one of today's papers about scientists developing 3D
scanning techniques to read ancient papyrus scrolls that are too
brittle to be unrolled. I wonder if they'll be doing that with spools
of tape one day?

There'll be another problem with most professional videotapes in that
even if anybody does manage to find some video heads, there may be
nobody left who knows how to line up the machines for optimum playback
quality. If they still work at all.

Rod.

Re: Where's the Proms on BBC iPlayer catchup

<1qik63n.1mrwzna1xvbi62N%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9458&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9458

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2023 21:30:12 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Fri, 13 Oct 2023 20:30 UTC

Roderick Stewart <rjfs@escapetime.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Oct 2023 13:03:42 +0100, John Williamson
> <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> >Industry wide, the short lived use of Betamax for digital audio is now a
> >problem, as the amount of tape needing to be scanned and converted is
> >more than the expected life of the tape heads available, and nobody
> >seems to make them now.
>
> I have heard that the same is tue of 2" quadruplex video tape, and
> maybe 1" C-format as well, which means that there must exist videotape
> material which will never be seen again because there's nothing to
> play it with.
>
> I saw an item in one of today's papers about scientists developing 3D
> scanning techniques to read ancient papyrus scrolls that are too
> brittle to be unrolled. I wonder if they'll be doing that with spools
> of tape one day?
>
> There'll be another problem with most professional videotapes in that
> even if anybody does manage to find some video heads, there may be
> nobody left who knows how to line up the machines for optimum playback
> quality. If they still work at all.

That problem has bedevilled the audio restoration community for a couple
of decades. Many of the people doing historical transcription work have
only the haziest idea of how things were recorded and consequently don't
know how to play them back properly.

I was lucky that there were still a few of the old-school recording
engineers around when I first started. It's not just that their
knowledge has been lost, but even when it was written down, there are
few people who take the trouble to read it or are capable of
understanding it.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk