Robot, n.: University administrator.

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / Change for the sake of it?

SubjectAuthor
* Change for the sake of it?John Williamson
+* Re: Change for the sake of it?Paul Ratcliffe
|`* Re: Change for the sake of it?Mark Carver
| `- Re: Change for the sake of it?John Williamson
+* Re: Change for the sake of it?Brian Gaff
|`- Re: Change for the sake of it?J. P. Gilliver
`- Re: Change for the sake of it?Max Demian

1
Change for the sake of it?

<kp03dgFqundU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9464&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9464

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Change for the sake of it?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 19:02:23 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 18:02 UTC

Pick is moving to Freeview channel 11 from channel 36 and being renamed
Sky Mix. Fair enough, that's their choice.

At the same time, the current occupier of Freeview channel 11 is
retaining its name of Sky Arts and moving to channel 36.

It seems that both will be carrying the same programmes as they did
before the change. Is there some logical or technical reason why they
can't just rename channel 36 as Sky Mix and carry on using it?
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Change for the sake of it?

<slrnuim03n.9bc.abuse@news.pr.network>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9465&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9465

From: abuse@orac12.clara34.co56.uk78 (Paul Ratcliffe)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Change for the sake of it?
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 20:56:24 GMT
Sender: abuse@win7.lan
 by: Paul Ratcliffe - Sat, 14 Oct 2023 20:56 UTC

On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 19:02:23 +0100, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com>
wrote:

> Pick is moving to Freeview channel 11 from channel 36 and being renamed
> Sky Mix. Fair enough, that's their choice.
>
> At the same time, the current occupier of Freeview channel 11 is
> retaining its name of Sky Arts and moving to channel 36.
>
> It seems that both will be carrying the same programmes as they did
> before the change. Is there some logical or technical reason why they
> can't just rename channel 36 as Sky Mix and carry on using it?

Probably because the LCNs would be the wrong way round to how they want them.
What I expect will happen is they'll swap the LCNs round whilst
retaining the same service IDs, and then rename Pick to Sky Mix.

Re: Change for the sake of it?

<kp1nduF53pgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9467&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9467

From: mark.carver@invalid.invalid (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 09:50:05 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 08:50 UTC

On 14/10/2023 21:56, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Oct 2023 19:02:23 +0100, John Williamson <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Pick is moving to Freeview channel 11 from channel 36 and being renamed
>> Sky Mix. Fair enough, that's their choice.
>>
>> At the same time, the current occupier of Freeview channel 11 is
>> retaining its name of Sky Arts and moving to channel 36.
>>
>> It seems that both will be carrying the same programmes as they did
>> before the change. Is there some logical or technical reason why they
>> can't just rename channel 36 as Sky Mix and carry on using it?
>
> Probably because the LCNs would be the wrong way round to how they want them.
> What I expect will happen is they'll swap the LCNs round whilst
> retaining the same service IDs, and then rename Pick to Sky Mix.

There's also I think a rule (imposed by Freeview) that a channel can't
move itself 'up' (up meaning a lower LCN) the EPG, it can only move down
(As indeed Sky Arts are doing be going from 11 to 36)

--
Mark

Re: Change for the sake of it?

<kp1nifF550cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9468&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9468

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 09:52:30 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 08:52 UTC

On 15/10/2023 09:50, Mark Carver wrote:
> On 14/10/2023 21:56, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

> There's also I think a rule (imposed by Freeview) that a channel can't
> move itself 'up' (up meaning a lower LCN) the EPG, it can only move down
> (As indeed Sky Arts are doing be going from 11 to 36)

That could explain it.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Change for the sake of it?

<uggeuo$f0ap$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9469&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9469

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 11:29:43 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 10:29 UTC

Who knows, maybe its some ploy to not have to abide by the number of hours
of AD content.
Its happened with a number of channels and I think new ones get a grace
period to comply, then change their name again. To me the program creators
should be factoring in AD when they budgetfor a show, as otherwise you get
the current issues where some screenings on some channels have AD and some
do not. So maybe Sky have a backlog of non AD stuff they want to legally put
out.
I think it stinks that the stations with nothing but distribution on main
stations are able to opt out of AD at all. A fair number of the films shown
on the film channels had AD, but its not broadcast, Did I mention Horror
Extra, well that is just one of them.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"John Williamson" <johnwilliamson@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Pick is moving to Freeview channel 11 from channel 36 and being renamed
> Sky Mix. Fair enough, that's their choice.
>
> At the same time, the current occupier of Freeview channel 11 is retaining
> its name of Sky Arts and moving to channel 36.
>
> It seems that both will be carrying the same programmes as they did before
> the change. Is there some logical or technical reason why they can't just
> rename channel 36 as Sky Mix and carry on using it?
> --
> Tciao for Now!
>
> John.

Re: Change for the sake of it?

<uggfmj$evb8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9471&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9471

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 11:42:28 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 10:42 UTC

On 14/10/2023 19:02, John Williamson wrote:

> Pick is moving to Freeview channel 11 from channel 36 and being renamed
> Sky Mix. Fair enough, that's their choice.
>
> At the same time, the current occupier of Freeview channel 11 is
> retaining its name of Sky Arts and moving to channel 36.
>
> It seems that both will be carrying the same programmes as they did
> before the change. Is there some logical or technical reason why they
> can't just rename channel 36 as Sky Mix and carry on using it?

Presumably we won't have to retune provided we don't mind the stations
being in the wrong places.

--
Max Demian

Re: Change for the sake of it?

<P2pDpcJDk9KlFwtn@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9472&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9472

Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 13:20:19 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 12:20 UTC

In message <uggeuo$f0ap$1@dont-email.me> at Sun, 15 Oct 2023 11:29:43,
Brian Gaff <brian1gaff@gmail.com> writes
>Who knows, maybe its some ploy to not have to abide by the number of hours
>of AD content.
> Its happened with a number of channels and I think new ones get a grace
>period to comply, then change their name again. To me the program creators
>should be factoring in AD when they budgetfor a show, as otherwise you get
>the current issues where some screenings on some channels have AD and some
>do not. So maybe Sky have a backlog of non AD stuff they want to legally put
>out.
> I think it stinks that the stations with nothing but distribution on main
>stations are able to opt out of AD at all. A fair number of the films shown
>on the film channels had AD, but its not broadcast, Did I mention Horror
>Extra, well that is just one of them.
> Brian

I'm still wondering if they'll ever apply the AD requirement to the
adult channels! (What a boring job _that_ would be!)

I know people who worry more about the health consequences of drinking a coffee
at breakfast than a bottle of urine at dinner
- Revd Richard Cole, RT 2021/7/3-9