I'm pretending that we're all watching PHIL SILVERS instead of RICARDO MONTALBAN!

aus+uk / uk.tech.broadcast / BBC does it again.

SubjectAuthor
* BBC does it again.Sysadmin
+- Re: BBC does it again.Pamela
+* Re: BBC does it again.Liz Tuddenham
|+- Re: BBC does it again.AnthonyL
|`- Re: BBC does it again.Pamela
+* Re: BBC does it again.Scott
|`* Re: BBC does it again.Brian Gaff
| `* Re: BBC does it again.Scott
|  `* Re: BBC does it again.Brian Gaff
|   `* Re: BBC does it again.Scott
|    +- Re: BBC does it again.Liz Tuddenham
|    +- Re: BBC does it again.J. P. Gilliver
|    `- Re: BBC does it again.Andy Burns
`- Re: BBC does it again.Brian Gaff

1
BBC does it again.

<uggvm9$iipj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9473&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9473

From: jon@home.net (Sysadmin)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: BBC does it again.
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:15:21 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Sysadmin - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:15 UTC

They just cant resist adding silly explosive sounds and eery music, to a
programme classed as a documentary. I am speaking of 'Uncanny' a new look
at peoples unexplained experiences.

Re: BBC does it again.

<XnsB09EB6C3DD791F3A2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9474&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9474

From: pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: BBC does it again.
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 17:57:59 +0100
 by: Pamela - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 16:57 UTC

On 16:15 15 Oct 2023, Sysadmin said:

> They just cant resist adding silly explosive sounds and eery music,
> to a programme classed as a documentary. I am speaking of 'Uncanny' a
> new look at peoples unexplained experiences.

The BBC gets lots of practice at using unwanted mood music in their news
videos online.

Re: BBC does it again.

<1qino9y.toijhn1hd10xrN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9475&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9475

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 18:56:13 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Sun, 15 Oct 2023 17:56 UTC

Sysadmin <jon@home.net> wrote:

> They just cant resist adding silly explosive sounds and eery music, to a
> programme classed as a documentary. I am speaking of 'Uncanny' a new look
> at peoples unexplained experiences.

I had been listening to BBC R4 until less than a minute before I read
your e-mail. I had been trying to follow a documentary on why
Birmingham City Council went bankrupt but had given up because it was
impossible to concentrate on the dialogue against a background of
continuous pointless sound effects.

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: BBC does it again.

<652d2ef3.452616390@news.eternal-september.org>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9482&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9482

From: nospam@please.invalid (AnthonyL)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:47:29 GMT
 by: AnthonyL - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 12:47 UTC

On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 18:56:13 +0100, liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid
(Liz Tuddenham) wrote:

>Sysadmin <jon@home.net> wrote:
>
>> They just cant resist adding silly explosive sounds and eery music, to a
>> programme classed as a documentary. I am speaking of 'Uncanny' a new look
>> at peoples unexplained experiences.
>
>I had been listening to BBC R4 until less than a minute before I read
>your e-mail. I had been trying to follow a documentary on why
>Birmingham City Council went bankrupt but had given up because it was
>impossible to concentrate on the dialogue against a background of
>continuous pointless sound effects.

Not quite in the same vein but the opening credits to Match of the Day
are impossible for me to follow. Lots of flashing images, some
irrelevant to football, and the matches to be shown are shown for
milli-seconds so unless I hit pause I have no idea what they will be
showing. Who comes up with this stuff?

I can't point you to an example on iPlayer because there was no MOTD
at the weekend.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

Re: BBC does it again.

<4ocqiil8qc1i5hc476d5blt9hk57rge2p6@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9484&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9484

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:01:48 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:01 UTC

On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:15:21 -0000 (UTC), Sysadmin <jon@home.net>
wrote:

>They just cant resist adding silly explosive sounds and eery music, to a
>programme classed as a documentary. I am speaking of 'Uncanny' a new look
>at peoples unexplained experiences.

Also, they now obsess about promoting BBC Sounds, which is also
misleading. 'On BBC Sounds and on Radio 4 at 3 pm' is ambiguous as it
could mean it is on BBC Sounds at 3 pm or it is on BBC Sounds at any
time (starting when?).

I had a letter printed in our paper suggesting a 'broadcast only'
licence and a more expensive 'broadcast and internet' licence just
like the black and white and colour licences. There must be a
significant proportion of the population with no interest in following
the BBC on the internet who would rather have conventional services
such as local radio.

Re: BBC does it again.

<ugjd1r$1e7l7$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9485&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9485

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:15:38 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:15 UTC

Yes, I tell you what, if you look at UK TVs channels and the proliferation
of ghosts and other oddities, and they were all true,we would allbe waist
deep in ghosts by now. I see there is now one from Ireland as well as the uk
and America andso called celebrity types with ghosts, most whom I'd never
heard of cos they apparently are Youtube.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Sysadmin" <jon@home.net> wrote in message

> They just cant resist adding silly explosive sounds and eery music, to a
> programme classed as a documentary. I am speaking of 'Uncanny' a new look
> at peoples unexplained experiences.

Re: BBC does it again.

<ugjd6k$1e8l6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9487&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9487

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:18:11 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 13:18 UTC

Yes the late night shows that are now natural are pretty banal. The weekend
ones are not bad as Jo Good has a long pedigree of local radio, but the week
long one seems to be struggling to find a format that people want to
interact with.
Brian

--

--:
"Scott" <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Oct 2023 15:15:21 -0000 (UTC), Sysadmin <jon@home.net>
> wrote:
>>
>>They just cant resist adding silly explosive sounds and eery music, to a
>>programme classed as a documentary. I am speaking of 'Uncanny' a new look
>>at peoples unexplained experiences.
>
> Also, they now obsess about promoting BBC Sounds, which is also
> misleading. 'On BBC Sounds and on Radio 4 at 3 pm' is ambiguous as it
> could mean it is on BBC Sounds at 3 pm or it is on BBC Sounds at any
> time (starting when?).
>
> I had a letter printed in our paper suggesting a 'broadcast only'
> licence and a more expensive 'broadcast and internet' licence just
> like the black and white and colour licences. There must be a
> significant proportion of the population with no interest in following
> the BBC on the internet who would rather have conventional services
> such as local radio.

Re: BBC does it again.

<v8oqii94bbbmpb548ens5pi7bh1cgp8h9s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9488&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9488

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2023 17:14:59 +0100
 by: Scott - Mon, 16 Oct 2023 16:14 UTC

On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:18:11 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>Yes the late night shows that are now natural are pretty banal. The weekend
>ones are not bad as Jo Good has a long pedigree of local radio, but the week
>long one seems to be struggling to find a format that people want to
>interact with.
> Brian

As a total aside, do you ever listen to Classic FM late at night? Do
you expect an enhancement in the audio when they move to DAB+ in
January?

Re: BBC does it again.

<XnsB0A0860E7796491F3A2@135.181.20.170>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9497&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9497

From: pamela.private.mailbox@gmail.com (Pamela)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 13:10:41 +0100
 by: Pamela - Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:10 UTC

On 18:56 15 Oct 2023, Liz Tuddenham said:
> Sysadmin <jon@home.net> wrote:
>>
>> They just cant resist adding silly explosive sounds and eery music,
>> to a programme classed as a documentary. I am speaking of 'Uncanny'
>> a new look at peoples unexplained experiences.
>
> I had been listening to BBC R4 until less than a minute before I read
> your e-mail. I had been trying to follow a documentary on why
> Birmingham City Council went bankrupt but had given up because it was
> impossible to concentrate on the dialogue against a background of
> continuous pointless sound effects.

It would be better if those pointless sound effects and mood music were
on a separate channel which the user could mute.

Re: BBC does it again.

<ugter5$vl21$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9504&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9504

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:47:29 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:47 UTC

No and no.
They nearly always overcook the limiter which can be heard as a crackle at
the start of piano notes.

Brian

--

--:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2023 14:18:11 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
> <brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Yes the late night shows that are now natural are pretty banal. The
>>weekend
>>ones are not bad as Jo Good has a long pedigree of local radio, but the
>>week
>>long one seems to be struggling to find a format that people want to
>>interact with.
>> Brian
>
> As a total aside, do you ever listen to Classic FM late at night? Do
> you expect an enhancement in the audio when they move to DAB+ in
> January?

Re: BBC does it again.

<d6g4jid59o3t7r9li2uvn88j8175el5l0l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9506&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9506

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:58:01 +0100
 by: Scott - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 08:58 UTC

On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:47:29 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
<brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:

>No and no.
> They nearly always overcook the limiter which can be heard as a crackle at
>the start of piano notes.

Interestingly, my friend who worked for the RSNO said it was good for
ironing and driving, where the audio compression was helpful.

Re: BBC does it again.

<1qiwh6y.bz0tp02p1cvwN%liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9507&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9507

From: liz@poppyrecords.invalid.invalid (Liz Tuddenham)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 12:55:22 +0100
 by: Liz Tuddenham - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 11:55 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

[...]
> Interestingly, my friend who worked for the RSNO said it was good for
> ironing and driving,

I've never tried that - isn't it rather dangerous?

--
~ Liz Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Re: BBC does it again.

<xJQbGZpBJoMlFwo6@255soft.uk>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9508&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9508

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2023 14:36:01 +0100
From: G6JPG@255soft.uk (J. P. Gilliver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
 by: J. P. Gilliver - Fri, 20 Oct 2023 13:36 UTC

In message <d6g4jid59o3t7r9li2uvn88j8175el5l0l@4ax.com> at Fri, 20 Oct
2023 09:58:01, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> writes
>On Fri, 20 Oct 2023 09:47:29 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
><brian1gaff@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>No and no.
>> They nearly always overcook the limiter which can be heard as a crackle at
>>the start of piano notes.
>>
>Interestingly, my friend who worked for the RSNO said it was good for
>ironing and driving, where the audio compression was helpful.

That may be. But I don't often want to listen to a broadcast of someone
ironing or driving.

(Liz's followup is better!)

"You _are_ Zaphod Beeblebrox? _The_ Zaphod Beeblebrox?"
"No, just _a_ Zaphod Beeblebrox. I come in six-packs." (from the link episode)

Re: BBC does it again.

<kpkfl2FrlrdU6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9524&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9524

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 12:33:54 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 11:33 UTC

Scott wrote:

> Brian Gaff wrote:
>
>> They nearly always overcook the limiter which can be heard as a crackle at
>> the start of piano notes.
>
> Interestingly, my friend who worked for the RSNO said it was good for
> ironing and driving, where the audio compression was helpful.

Several times I've properly heard previously misheard lyrics when
listening to DAB in the car, which is not an environment noted for its
fidelity.