From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Local ??? Radio
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:20:47 +0100
 by: Scott - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:20 UTC

What is the point of the BBC putting an all-England late-night show on
Local Radio? Why don't they simulcast Radio 2 (as they did in the old
days) or 6Music (to take it to an FM audience) or even Radio Scotland
(music programme at the relevant time and would provide free
broadcasting)? I would rather see all available money spent on genuine
local radio.

Or to be really radical, what about closing BBC Local Radio in the
evenings and inviting community stations to make use of the
frequencies?

Re: Local ??? Radio

<uh06qt$1meh8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9515&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9515

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Subject: Re: Local ??? Radio
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:49:18 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:49 UTC

On 21/10/2023 10:20, Scott wrote:
> Or to be really radical, what about closing BBC Local Radio in the
> evenings and inviting community stations to make use of the frequencies?

Probably would not save much money, any community station would have to
be supervised and the people doing the overnight programmes are probably
not paid much and it gives a progression for people to move on to grown
up radio.

Don't they use speech based Five Live overnight. 6 Music seems to use
pre-recorded programmes overnight but never listened to it at night. I
don't tend to listen much to Radio 2 overnight - don't like Phil
Williams and can't stand the camp Welsh presenter.

Re: Local ??? Radio

<3p77jili5c0oq0pl0qonmmdsr3s0a348ig@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9516&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9516

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:53:54 +0100
 by: Scott - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 09:53 UTC

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:49:18 +0100, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:

>On 21/10/2023 10:20, Scott wrote:
>> Or to be really radical, what about closing BBC Local Radio in the
>> evenings and inviting community stations to make use of the frequencies?

This is probably right.

>Probably would not save much money, any community station would have to
>be supervised and the people doing the overnight programmes are probably
>not paid much and it gives a progression for people to move on to grown
>up radio.
>
>Don't they use speech based Five Live overnight. 6 Music seems to use
>pre-recorded programmes overnight but never listened to it at night. I
>don't tend to listen much to Radio 2 overnight - don't like Phil
>Williams and can't stand the camp Welsh presenter.

When I said 'night' I did not make it very clear that I was referring
to the 10-12 slot to be hosted by Dotun Adebayo:
https://radiotoday.co.uk/2023/10/dotun-adebayo-to-host-new-show-across-bbc-local-radio-network/

Re: Local ??? Radio

<kphnh3Fchg9U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9517&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9517

From: mark@invalid.com (Mark Carver)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:29:55 +0100
 by: Mark Carver - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 10:29 UTC

On 21/10/2023 10:20, Scott wrote:

> Or to be really radical, what about closing BBC Local Radio in the
> evenings and inviting community stations to make use of the
> frequencies?

I seem to recall BBC Radio Bristol did just that for a while ?

Re: Local ??? Radio

<uh0b4e$1ngq4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9518&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9518

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 12:02:34 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:02 UTC

Yes another solution, but it could not be much worse than is on the goggle
box these days.

I don't really see that many savings having one all over the uk programme,
against having 5 or six regional ones as they had before. They now have no
doubt a lot of empty not being used studios in the evenings, and no local
traffic or news at the very times when folk might have time to listen.
Brian

--

--:
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...
"Mark Carver" <mark@invalid.com> wrote in message
> On 21/10/2023 10:20, Scott wrote:
>>
>> Or to be really radical, what about closing BBC Local Radio in the
>> evenings and inviting community stations to make use of the
>> frequencies?
>
> I seem to recall BBC Radio Bristol did just that for a while ?

Re: Local ??? Radio

<uh0bou$1njrt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9519&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9519

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 12:13:35 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 11:13 UTC

On 21/10/2023 10:53, Scott wrote:
> When I said 'night' I did not make it very clear that I was referring to
> the 10-12 slot to be hosted by Dotun Adebayo:
> https://radiotoday.co.uk/2023/10/dotun-adebayo-to-host-new-show-across-bbc-local-radio-network/

So whilst British people lose their local stations, the "Asian
community" now have their own network and also programmes on what should
be Local radio and the Afro-Caribbeans have the evenings?

Re: Local ??? Radio

<kphusuFfb2uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9520&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9520

From: johnwilliamson@btinternet.com (John Williamson)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2023 13:35:40 +0100
 by: John Williamson - Sat, 21 Oct 2023 12:35 UTC

On 21/10/2023 12:02, Brian Gaff wrote:
The empty studios don't need to be staffed or powered up, which saves a
fair bit.

As for traffic news, at the times they are running the combined service,
they haven't been doing traffic reports anyway. BBC local radio news
seems to only work office hours.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Re: Local ??? Radio

<uh38dh$2ep2l$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://news.novabbs.org/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=9525&group=uk.tech.broadcast#9525

From: brian1gaff@gmail.com (Brian Gaff)
Newsgroups: uk.tech.broadcast
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 14:34:40 +0100
 by: Brian Gaff - Sun, 22 Oct 2023 13:34 UTC

Yes so why not let volunteers run those community programs on that frequency
as was mentioned earlier.
It just seems to me that the whole idea of the BBC should be to make and
host shows that the commercial sector cannot. Or do they now make so much
revenue on TV exports that the commercial ethos is right the way through the
organisation, or yet again have the Government effectively turned the BBC
into a commercial company to save money.

Brian

--

--: